Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Clearly you haven't been to the Nexus, where there's plenty of that already!

In the case of porting Fallout 3 by uploading the bsa and esm, I would understand them being more aggressive because it's basically piracy at that point, even if it does require buying NV to get it to run (though I don't think it works anyway? Which is too bad because I'd love to have the NV improvements in the original Fallout 3).

When it's an entire game's worth of assets like that, it makes sense to pursue it. It's a bit foggier when it's just a few models; technically they CAN pursue it if they want to, but they might not feel that it's worth their time. It all comes down to the specific company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Welp, I'm a dumbfuck and give up.

If anyone more competent than I wants to do it, here's the M1 sound.

Also, anyone got some recommended mods? I already have both NVBs, Tales From The Burning Sands, URWL, a few balance tweaks, Warzones, expanded weapon mods, Satchels/TailorMaid, Improved Normals, Imaginator/Cinematech, etc.

Oh, and how can I get Cass to be able to wear NCR armor? I tried loving with her affiliation in the GECK, but she refuses to wear it.

Nuclear Pogostick fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 9, 2011

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Companion Disguises says it does the trick. Haven't used it, but it's in the OP so it must be good.

Unless you are speaking from a modder's perspective, in which case I guess tearing this thing open and checking to see how they do it. :v:

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Sole.Sushi posted:

Companion Disguises says it does the trick. Haven't used it, but it's in the OP so it must be good.

Unless you are speaking from a modder's perspective, in which case I guess tearing this thing open and checking to see how they do it. :v:

Sweet, thanks. By the way, I'm kind of tempted to make a simple mod of the goodsprings area - Giant radscorpions keep killing easy pete and some of the other civvies later in the game for me, so I was mulling over a way to stop that. Any suggestions? Maybe a few turrets (made so that they won't fire on powder gangers so as to not mess up the early game quests)?

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Naky posted:

Did you save it? If not, just exit without saving and reload. If you did, you could probably copy and paste it from the original to your version in FNVEdit.

How do I copy and paste it, though? In FNVEdit, the only copy options are "Copy as override", "Copy as new record" and "Copy idle animations", and when I use copy as override, I have to make an entirely new file.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Sweet, thanks. By the way, I'm kind of tempted to make a simple mod of the goodsprings area - Giant radscorpions keep killing easy pete and some of the other civvies later in the game for me, so I was mulling over a way to stop that. Any suggestions? Maybe a few turrets (made so that they won't fire on powder gangers so as to not mess up the early game quests)?

Turrets might do the trick, especially since the Radscorpions always seem to come from the North / Northwest, opposite of the Powder Gangers. That, or some kind of well-armed caravan that is always camping out on that corner of the town.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Turrets might do the trick, especially since the Radscorpions always seem to come from the North / Northwest, opposite of the Powder Gangers. That, or some kind of well-armed caravan that is always camping out on that corner of the town.

Yeah. That or just put a dude with an AM rifle and AP rounds into a guard tower where the scorpions can't sting him to death. I've had to resurrect Easy Pete and the other goodsprings-ites so many times it's not even funny. Must suck for the console people.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Welp, I'm a dumbfuck and give up.

If anyone more competent than I wants to do it, here's the M1 sound.

Also, anyone got some recommended mods? I already have both NVBs, Tales From The Burning Sands, URWL, a few balance tweaks, Warzones, expanded weapon mods, Satchels/TailorMaid, Improved Normals, Imaginator/Cinematech, etc.

Oh, and how can I get Cass to be able to wear NCR armor? I tried loving with her affiliation in the GECK, but she refuses to wear it.

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?431pr65dac9is6u

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Amstrad posted:

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?431pr65dac9is6u

Awesome, thank you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any good HD character skin replacements that aren't attached to some creepy nude mod for NV? Project Beauty in FO3 had a really nice one that made faces look actually half decent instead of like creepy condoms filled with jam. Would I be able to just import the textures from that (by which I mean the generic character skins, not the specific modified ones for Fallout 3 characters)? Or does NV use a different enough system that it wouldn't work?

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 10, 2011

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Thought I should mention the movie Hardware here. 80's sci-fi ala. Blade Runner/Mad Max with Iggy Pop as Angry Bob the radio host. The music would go fantastically in Fallout NV.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

:c00l: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Ne9sRcSrM

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Flaky posted:

Thought I should mention the movie Hardware here. 80's sci-fi ala. Blade Runner/Mad Max with Iggy Pop as Angry Bob the radio host. The music would go fantastically in Fallout NV.

You forgot boat driver Lemmy. I know it has almost no bearing but boat driver Lemmy. Also speaking of that movie, again, someone needs to actually half-decently put the .44 Automag in the game. It's a much more fitting semi-auto magnum than the deagle.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
ropekid, I know it's unlikely, but will we ever see functioning vehicles in the fallout series again? I mean, I'm not expecting anything fancy, but I think it'd serve as a neat midpoint between walking and fast travel. I'd totally enjoy cruising down the highway in NV in a Corvega :v:

I mention this here because the only vehicle mods around for F3/NV suck rear end.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are there any good HD character skin replacements that aren't attached to some creepy nude mod for NV?

There's New Vegas Redesigned, but it looks like the author sperged up and removed it from circulation a few months ago without ever updating it. You can still get it from this french site here.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Can I suggest this Acoustic guitar to go with the Electric guitar in The Armory? Also I'm trying to find a "guitar smacking someone" sound effect for it to no avail.

Hitting someone in the head with an acoustic guitar only ever needs one sound effect

KABOOOONG!

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 26, 2021

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

harrygomm posted:

I'm looking for a mod similar to the Fast Exit mod that was in Oblivion and I think ported to F3? Basically it does some fancy script work to catch errors that the game would throw on exit, dismiss them, and allow you to instantly quit to desktop or whatever instead of having to kill the process through task manager.

Seconded, even though I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. The guy who made this did a lot of in depth analysis on the gamebryo engine, he's still mostly working on oblivion though. It's kinda sad and silly that the engine still has this very problem. I played yesterday a lot and must have had about 5-8 crashes in the whole gaming session. I can't remember anything running on a different engine crashing this much on me randomly in the last 7 years. Not even Dwarf Fortress.

Not even Dwarf Fortress.

EDIT: ... not even FSX! And everyone who's ever played it knows: FSX likes it's crashes suddenly and random.

(and yes yes, mods I've installed probably didn't make the game more stable but I doubt it would be that much better without any mod)

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 10, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Hey so for people who have been complaining around the running animations, there's been an animation mod removed that might be right up your alley.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
With the latest test build released just an hour or so ago, the current headcount of the weapons in the pack are something like this: 152 "unique" projectile/energy weapons + 35 subvariants for various reasons of those 152 and then 53 melee weapons for a grand total of 240 weapon entries from The Armory. 7 more melee weapons and 3 more projectile/energy weapons, or 8 more projectile and 2 more melee would round it out to a nice even 250. Pretty crazy!

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

Seconded, even though I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. The guy who made this did a lot of in depth analysis on the gamebryo engine, he's still mostly working on oblivion though. It's kinda sad and silly that the engine still has this very problem. I played yesterday a lot and must have had about 5-8 crashes in the whole gaming session. I can't remember anything running on a different engine crashing this much on me randomly in the last 7 years. Not even Dwarf Fortress.

Not even Dwarf Fortress.

EDIT: ... not even FSX! And everyone who's ever played it knows: FSX likes it's crashes suddenly and random.

(and yes yes, mods I've installed probably didn't make the game more stable but I doubt it would be that much better without any mod)

I use a bunch of mods and have had 0 crashes (started replaying 2 weeks ago for dead money). Maybe the magical combination of bigger buffers tweaks, fnv4gb and the purge cell buffer mod does it.

Oblivion and fo3 where always crashing left and right but now it's great. If you play for longer then an hour+ at a time you should use the pcb mod (or just type it in yourself). Also qqq in the console fast quits too.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

Naky posted:

With the latest test build released just an hour or so ago, the current headcount of the weapons in the pack are something like this: 152 "unique" projectile/energy weapons + 35 subvariants for various reasons of those 152 and then 53 melee weapons for a grand total of 240 weapon entries from The Armory. 7 more melee weapons and 3 more projectile/energy weapons, or 8 more projectile and 2 more melee would round it out to a nice even 250. Pretty crazy!

Haha, I'm saving up for one of the AWP Internationals, you might remember how I was against your weapon prices, but it's crazy how much the high prices of them actually improve the game. I'm past lvl 20 and I'm always jonesing for more caps just to extend my weapon collection. In a way the prices fixed the economy of the game for me. I'm sorry I ever said anything. The gunrunner protectron is my best friend.

DR_Bob84 posted:

I use a bunch of mods and have had 0 crashes (started replaying 2 weeks ago for dead money). Maybe the magical combination of bigger buffers tweaks, fnv4gb and the purge cell buffer mod does it.

Oblivion and fo3 where always crashing left and right but now it's great. If you play for longer then an hour+ at a time you should use the pcb mod (or just type it in yourself). Also qqq in the console fast quits too.

I don't know, I made a few experiments myself and I've noticed that the engine gets really unstable if data doesn't get in- and out of memory as fast as it is supposed to be. Did you change harddrives? I have the feeling slow harddrives make this considerably worse.

I have the pcb mod now (even if I'm not convinced of it doing anything) and made big buffer tweaks. Only thing I didn't try is to make the the .exe large adress space aware, because I'm not sure it's even used and I'm using my newly aquired RAM as RAMDisk. But maybe I'll try it. Thanks for the "qqq", that's really helpful.

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009

Police Automaton posted:

I don't know, I made a few experiments myself and I've noticed that the engine gets really unstable if data doesn't get in- and out of memory as fast as it is supposed to be. Did you change harddrives? I have the feeling slow harddrives make this considerably worse.

I have the pcb mod now (even if I'm not convinced of it doing anything) and made big buffer tweaks. Only thing I didn't try is to make the the .exe large adress space aware, because I'm not sure it's even used and I'm using my newly aquired RAM as RAMDisk. But maybe I'll try it. Thanks for the "qqq", that's really helpful.

Actually my drive recently died on me (after 6 years) and it was a 10.000rpm raptor. Now i've got a normal speed 1tb one and it's not slower or anything in windows or games so gently caress the new raptor drives it's kinda a gimmick. An SSD is another story but way too expensive.

The large adress aware flag makes a HUGE difference for fo3/nv. For fo3 i did it myself and spinning around in 3rd person was super smooth after instead of jerky. I am on win7 64bit with 4gb so if you do it on winxp with 2gb it wont do anything.

Because of steam you need that exe from the nexus. Using editbin and doing it yourself gives a steam error afterwards. Can't hurt to try cause it's just a separate exe launcher the original is not modified.

Try saving with the console too it's very handy. Type save and a name like "save 1" that way you can make named saves you can easily overwrite as you play. Like 1 to 5 and start again. Try player.modav speedmult 50 for a faster running speed for the player only cause the default is slowwwwww. All those speed mods change the variable that controls it for ALL npc's and thats not very handy.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 26, 2021

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

harrygomm posted:

Problem with qqq is that it still doesn't quit to desktop, it seems to use the same method to quit that selecting through menus does. This means the game still freezes on exit and has to be killed through task manager.

I've been quitting via Alt+F4 after saving. It almost always works smoothly.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey so for people who have been complaining around the running animations, there's been an animation mod removed that might be right up your alley.

So I'm confused. I thought the running animations between Fallout 3 and NV were the same? If not, does this replace the NV anims with the FO3 ones?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The Fallout 3 ones are hilariously bad and stiff in my opinion. Some people seem to prefer them but I just burst out laughing when I went back to play Fallout 3 once.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
I rely on CASM (linked in the OP http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36730) to save mostly. I can honestly say if it wasn't for CASM I probably would've given up playing quite a while ago. The interval-autosave made crashes bearable for me.

Also I tackled making LAA work myself, (after reading what LAA actually means for windows) I'll see how it goes. I honestly doubt this will change anything, because I think the engine has its own limitations.

EDIT: To clarify, the engine might limit itself how much memory it uses as a cache. I already kinda solved a lot of stuttering with using a RAMDisk for a lot of gamefiles, it didn't really fix stability for me though, even if the outdoor crashes have gone from "unplayable" to "bearable". I have 8 GB of RAM, which should be plenty for an LAA-App which uses all it can + system.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 11, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

UnoriginalMind posted:

So I'm confused. I thought the running animations between Fallout 3 and NV were the same? If not, does this replace the NV anims with the FO3 ones?

No most of the animations have been changed. You can really tell the difference between the "crippled leg" running and walking animations between the two games (I think the FO3 one is better; in NV it's just way over the top lurching rather than just limping). The running and walking normal ones are a lot better than FO3 though, I don't know why someone would want to go back to them.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Police Automaton posted:

I rely on CASM (linked in the OP http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36730) to save mostly. I can honestly say if it wasn't for CASM I probably would've given up playing quite a while ago. The interval-autosave made crashes bearable for me.

I've been using Auto Incremental Save, which appears to be essentially the same thing. It allows shorter intervals than CASM, though. (I have it set to 40 second intervals and 8 revolving slots.)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
For people trying to protect Goodsprings I just use an unlimited companions mod and have all the extra ones hang out in front of the saloon. Sometimes I return to town and find monster giblets scattered all over.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Is there a mod that enables me to make dialog choices with number keys like bioware games? I don't want to use the mouse to make dialog selections.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
Is the latest version of the Armory going to include any updates or additions to the leveled lists?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

MadPierrot posted:

Is the latest version of the Armory going to include any updates or additions to the leveled lists?

I would imagine so but that is anime schoolgirl's territory. He's waiting for my last 8 weapons first though as well as the final call on three guns on the fence.

Safety Hammer
Sep 14, 2007
This technology has been sorely lacking from the recent installments of Fallout. This weapon will be exclusive to The Armory unless somebody from Nexus steals it.

I'm thinking of doing some more melee weapons or knives from previous games as well.

I've also been working on this for that sweet new flamer effect:

I've also done new textures for a few guns; the XD, the Saiga, and the Stechkin.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Flamer looks pretty boss :)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Safety Hammer posted:

I've also been working on this for that sweet new flamer effect:

Very, very cool.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I cannot for the life of me get the Extended New Vegas Radio Generator mod working properly.

I dropped the mod files into the proper folder, dumped my songs to be converted into the MusicToConvert folder, did the mp3 conversion and the ogg conversion per the instructions, renamed my files per the instructions, ran the utility to set my number of songs and create the .esp file and ... nothing. Not only does the extended radio give me silence, so does the original New Vegas Radio when I switch the mod back off and remove the files.

Anyone else encountered this? I'm not even sure what could have gotten overridden to break my source game, given that all that appears to have been added are folders. I feel like I'm just missing a setting someplace that I need to toggle back.

Lege
Oct 12, 2005

hurf im badass

EricFate posted:

I cannot for the life of me get the Extended New Vegas Radio Generator mod working properly.

I had this issue too, fixed it by regenerating the .esp with a proper track count (instead of the default 1000). Try doing it without including the blues, classical etc. tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well, thats my second attempt at modding, as requested, I am sharing.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15996

Pretty ineffective method of delivery, but it does the job for me. For fallout 3 only though, as Kerghan hasn't ported PA footsteps across yet I don't think.