Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
The freezer is also a decent way to weaken the glue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

and if that doesn't work, throw it in some boiling water

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
This should be in the OP in my humble opinion:

http://retroalias.blogspot.com/2011/02/first-impressions-of-mold-making.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oyumaru-Clay-Creative-toy-Reusable-Mold-Making-Kit-/300535222492

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz8FwUEFMzY

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Just make sure you are only molding things you have created yourself! :D

:ssh:Would not want to advertise plagiarizing an artist's modeling would you?:ssh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ashcans posted:

My experience is that a few days soaking in Simple Green will also loosen up superglue, although you might need to take a hobby knife or pin to it to get it off. Worth trying if you don't have an appropriate solvent around.

I tried using Simple Green and it didn't cut it at all. I definitely recommend going to the hardware store and buying small can of acetone. It'll save you a lot of hassle.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
So as I mentioned in the 40k thread I recently ordered a bunch of Ork heads/conversion pieces and was considering doing necromunda(or gorkamorka) gangs/squads which might later be used in a 40k Ork army.

I haven't actually played as Orks before (and nobody in my regular group plays them) so I was wondering what units to do. Easy choices would be boyz/nobz but I sort of wanted to do some funny units even if I might not necessarily be using the equipment they're modeled with.

Pirates

Military esque

Mechanical

:mexico:

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Angryboot posted:

Lengthened and reposed the legs then freehanded the banner. My thumb hurts.

Nice one. Space Marines look a lot better when they're actually standing up straight and not using the "I just shat myself" spread legs.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Your kan looks awesome. For more inspiration here's a kitbashed killa kan (is there another kind?) I made using dread legs from AOBR, some battlewagon and trukk bits, and a small pressure vessel from a Pegasus Hobbies Chemical Plant Set.

I loving love this, it's a perfectly proportioned chunky little adorable murder machine.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
One thing that just dawned on me is that when GW finally pulls the plug on metal, my days of stripping paint off of miniatures are done too.

With pewter I just throw it in Nitromors for 2-3 hours and then bathe it in white spirit whilst vigorously brushing it with a cut down brush. Comes out like the day it was cast.

Anything more spindly than a space marine is done and dusted.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Zarkov Cortez posted:

So as I mentioned in the 40k thread I recently ordered a bunch of Ork heads/conversion pieces and was considering doing necromunda(or gorkamorka) gangs/squads which might later be used in a 40k Ork army.

I haven't actually played as Orks before (and nobody in my regular group plays them) so I was wondering what units to do. Easy choices would be boyz/nobz but I sort of wanted to do some funny units even if I might not necessarily be using the equipment they're modeled with.

Why am I picturing a ork warboss and nobs based on the Village People?

Me luv to stay at the waaaaaagh em cee aaay

Edit: Sweet! You made the ork version of the phalanx \/\/\/\/\/
http://unsd.macrossroleplay.org/phalanx1.gif

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 12, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Silhouette posted:

I loving love this, it's a perfectly proportioned chunky little adorable murder machine.

Thanks! I made two more, although they didn't come out as nicely as the first.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Miles O'Brian posted:

One thing that just dawned on me is that when GW finally pulls the plug on metal, my days of stripping paint off of miniatures are done too.

With pewter I just throw it in Nitromors for 2-3 hours and then bathe it in white spirit whilst vigorously brushing it with a cut down brush. Comes out like the day it was cast.

Anything more spindly than a space marine is done and dusted.

Which is pretty much exactly the effect they'd like to achieve, so...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I dunno, I've stripped resin before. It wasn't like, spindly little Death Korps dudes, but it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately paint doesn't just slide off like it does with metal.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thanks! I made two more, although they didn't come out as nicely as the first.

This is it. This is the Best Kan Ever.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Silhouette posted:

I sure am glad I read to the end of the thread before I posted this exact same thing.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Speaking of resin, look at dis!

what head do you guys like better?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

PaintVagrant posted:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
2, but it's a shame that they picked the least interesting of the Chaos gods to make a huge wacky marine for. Nurgle 4 lyfe.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Oh god I need a link for that PV. Also Head 2 is the best.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Well, keep in mind that this huge wacky marine is actually Angron, Primarch of the World Eaters, and is actually in scale with that marine :pcgaming:

So the second helmet looks cooler imo, but the first one is much more in character with what he is supposed to look like, ie a giant space marine warped to chaos with demon horns and a huge khorne symbol burnt across his face

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

I liked the first helmet. What am I doing wrong? :smith:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Disagreeing with three people. You'll get over it.

I'm also down for #1, knowing it's Angron. Helmets on Characters is dumb, except for Draigo because he looks so dumb and ought to hide that expression. I don't especially like the Angron head here, but it's better than a generic "I'm a giant space marine" head with big ol' muscly arms.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Me too...

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Could you cut the space marine helmet apart and sort of stick part of the daemon head into it, to make it look like it's rupturing forth?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
First head all the way. Angron is really, REALLY not the type of character to hide behind a helmet, especially not after ten thousand years as a Khornate daemon lord. To be honest, I'd probably be inclined to skip the goofy shoulder pad, too - which looks much worse with the second head than the first, it displaces the head to one side, which looks silly.

As well as aesthetics, there's another reason why the second head bothers me: the helmet is way too new, and way too normal. It's a daemon primarch, and he's wearing a MKVII helmet. I thought the MKVII wasn't discovered for thousands of years after the Heresy. Plus, they should be (and in this case, he definitely is) way too big to fit in normal marine armour, so would have had individually-designed and fitted armour (often that they made themselves), so a basic helmet looks way too prosaic...

That being said, it's a bloody brilliant model in general, but it has a few mildly irritating flaws. The armoured arm in general is a bit iffy, in particular, because its wrist armour doesn't really seem true/parallel.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fix posted:

Helmets on Characters is dumb...

:colbert: Step into my office.

I also think the un-helmeted head looks a lot better, especially if it's Angron. Can't wait to see it all painted up, PV.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Head one is the way to go; the bevor on his armor sticks up in a way that looks weird with the helmet, its like his neck shortened and his chin is getting caught on it.

I am not a big fan of the pose, though. Does he have to be looking down and to his left like that? I think it would be better if he was looking ahead or even slightly up, like he was roaring and brandishing his weapons. He kind of makes me think that he was doing calisthentics or something and someone on the ground has just caught his attention.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think the second head is great, if you're doing a Knight from the Brotherhood of Steel.

Demonface:3: all the way.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Magnetize the heads and swap out between the two. That should solve the problem.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So I'm almost done with the kan, just need to build the CC arm but I'm not sure what kind of weapon I should go with? then its time for rivets.. :smith:

here it is for a scale check! I really need to build a smaller version of my boss

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Silhouette posted:

Jonny Nox posted:

I sure am glad I read to the end of the thread before I posted this exact same thing.

Holy crap, thanks guys! I guess I'll definitely have to paint them up next them. Everyone really seems to like them. Unfortunately nobody ever seems to like stubby, the double grotzooka'd kan. Any thoughts on a different weapon I could give him?

I have some spare chainsaw bits from a second stompa arm that I got for my deffrolla. Maybe I could convert that into some horribly unwieldy killa kan weapon.

Bang3r posted:

I really need to build a smaller version of my boss

"I'M DA BIGGEST, SO I'M DA BOSS!"

I don't think it's necessary.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Where did this resin Angron come from? Also, head 1 is a lot cooler. The helmet actually looks pretty loving goofy in that shot.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

!amicable posted:

Where did this resin Angron come from? Also, head 1 is a lot cooler. The helmet actually looks pretty loving goofy in that shot.

I remember seeing a conversion which looked similar.

Also,

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

!amicable posted:

The helmet looks goofy because it's smaller than his bare head, even without the horns.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Fix posted:

Helmets on Characters is dumb, except for...

Dont forget this guy

MSP got him the other day and we have been drooling over him and that helmet. That head is going on the Chaos Lord in Termy armor guy and it makes him look just-as if not more cool than this guy.

Also he has been saying "Whats a'Zhufor" nonstop :downsrim:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, but that's not even really a helmet of the sort I'm talking about. That doesn't make him look like a generic version of a chaos terminator. That's something unique and dramatic all to itself.

NecronSchmecron posted:

:colbert: Step into my office.

This, not so much.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PaintVagrant posted:

Speaking of resin, look at dis!

I prefer the head on the top picture. Exposed daemon head for the win.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I prefer the head on the top picture.

I too am chiming in for support for the top head. It gives the model quite a bit more character than the bland almost loyalist-looking helmet. A blessed warrior of Khorne would never wear such a helmet, it would muffle the volume of their constant screaming.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Bang3r, I actually have the new killa kan ccw arms if you need one or three. Throw me an email (jrs06w at yahoo dot com) and we can talk bit-ness. I ended up with the entire arm set when I just wanted the drill end. (wanna make bio-shock megga nobz) so I won't charge you an arm and a leg ;)

Or if you wanna keep your scratch built all homemade I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, that angron model looks pretty rad in person. Its not super detailed, but I actually prefer that because I can go use paint to create details and whatnot.

This is my last huzzah of painting my own stuff for quite some time, its just a couple solos for my skorne army, agonizer and goblin smoke team duders

• Locked thread