Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
My next Christmas present to myself, I've decided, an NXT electric upright bass:

Finally gonna start that latin jazz band. Gotta choose between black or sunburst. Decisions, decisions...

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Definitely sunburst imo; a black instrument can be cool, but a very traditional finish on such an unconventional-looking bass ought to make for a striking contrast.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Those NXT's are great, and it's my next purchase after I put the deposit down on my new Stambaugh.

I'd definitely go with the amberburst. My tough decision is whether I want to go with the 5-string or not...

dum2007
Jun 13, 2001
I may be the victim of indigestion, but she is the product of it.

Portable and versatile and apparently the pads are better on the AKAI than on the KORGs.

Even got the LEDs flashing as a two-deck VU meter on Traktor via MIDI outputs: http://www.twitvid.com/ULMFF

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

communistdew posted:

Oh nice. I hadn't run across that beat707 shield. Looks promising. I'd love a link to how you made the simple one from the Sparkfun parts! I'm amassing a large wishlist from them for an Arduinome, so if it's just as simple as getting the shield then I'll grab one of those too!

I might make a thread for DIY electronic instruments like Arduinomes/sequencers/synths, etc. once I get things underway.

Then I'll post a picture of everything in this thread. Sorry for the derail.

Agreed about the Beat707. Very impressed with their product and their Kickstarter funding approach.

About the Arduinome, I'd love to see your current(and final) parts list! That sounds like a fun one. I love my Launchpad, but a self contained grid controller would be awesome, in my quest to get away from the screen from time to time :).

As far as my simple sequencer is concerned, what I mean by simple is that I can currently control tempo and note length(though I haven't gotten note length working in relation to tempo, yet[I'm coding it myself, using many examples around the community, which I'll be happy to share.]) Also, I don't believe I'm working with exact musical time due to some analogReads. I'll be happy to share my code once I clean it up slightly.

If you look at the MIDI Shield, there are 2 pots, 3 buttons and 2 LEDs(red, green). With this setup, I think a decent, MIDI Clock syncable arpeggiator/sequencer could be devised. So I'm thinking, a play button, a stop button and a shift button. The knobs are dual function due to the shift button: tempo/scale(scrolling through an array of predefined scales) then note length/velocity.

I'm not sure if you code, but I'm open to suggestions, and will post my code in a bit for you to take a look at/do something with for yourself.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

dum2007 posted:

Portable and versatile and apparently the pads are better on the AKAI than on the KORGs.

Even got the LEDs flashing as a two-deck VU meter on Traktor via MIDI outputs: http://www.twitvid.com/ULMFF

I love the 2 way midi/light control on this and I love the arpeggiator on the nanoPad2. aaaah too many products. Definitely looking to replace my original nanoPad.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

This month's impulse purchase:

Despite the logo, this one has no round, plastic back:

Its an Ovation Magnum III, from the late 70s/early 80s. Passive, with a quad coil pickup at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge, sounds kinda like a Rickenbacker. Its on the heavy side, but luckily it balances well so it doesn't feel too bad. I need to adjust the pickups a bit because the bridge is overpowering when both are on, or maybe just change the strings because they're lighter than what I'm used to.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

DrChu posted:

Oh drat. I've wanted to find one of these for a while. How well does it play? Like butter?

parade
Mar 5, 2010
Got a pair of Dynaudio BM6A Mk2s to replace my old KRK Rokits. So far I've been quite pleased (my neighbors less so).

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
What's that little doohicky with the faders on top of the synth?

parade
Mar 5, 2010

h_double posted:

What's that little doohicky with the faders on top of the synth?

It's a Novation Nocturn--theoretically it has fancy automapping software but I mostly just use it for random Ableton knobbery.

http://us.novationmusic.com/products/midi_controller/nocturn

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

This month's impulse purchase:

Despite the logo, this one has no round, plastic back:

Its an Ovation Magnum III, from the late 70s/early 80s. Passive, with a quad coil pickup at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge, sounds kinda like a Rickenbacker. Its on the heavy side, but luckily it balances well so it doesn't feel too bad. I need to adjust the pickups a bit because the bridge is overpowering when both are on, or maybe just change the strings because they're lighter than what I'm used to.

Nice!

By the way, Eastwood just released their remake of the Magnum I.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/Bass/magnumBass/magnumBass_frm.htm

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Scarf posted:

Nice!

How is Eastwood's build quality?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TyChan posted:

How is Eastwood's build quality?

The ones I've gotten my hands on were good. They're niche builders though; the only reason to buy one is if you're really jonesing for a very unique instrument with some cool aesthetic value. I'd put them on par with any middle-to-uppermiddle line manufacturer.

Bottom line: There are much better ways to spend that amount of money on a bass, but if you're into unique styles and recreations of classic basses that aren't available anywhere else, they're your go-to guys.

Ed Friedland has reviewed a handful of their basses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5rOun38Ehk - Airline Map Bass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSUjhcJaPo - Classic 4 (hollowbody) and the EEB-1 modeled after the old Ampeg Scroll-Bass.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Handen posted:

Oh drat. I've wanted to find one of these for a while. How well does it play? Like butter?
It plays pretty great, it is well balanced and though the neck is pretty big its easy to move around. The neck is about Precision/Stingray width, but about another 1/8" thicker.

Scarf posted:

Nice!

I saw this when looking up some info on my bass. I don't think its gonna sound much the same with that pair of single coil pickups. But I guess someone getting that is more going for the looks. Also, this part is pretty funny:

quote:

Original MAGNUM models sell for more than $1,500 in todays Vintage Guitar market.
Most of the ones I've seen (including mine) go for less than their street price.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

Most of the ones I've seen (including mine) go for less than their street price.

Yeah, people seem to forget that there's kind of a reason why they STOPPED making them. They're just niche instruments, mainly for their aesthetic and nostalgic value.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
This thread is huge. It's really, really big. And it's old. Almost five years. I just realized that it encompasses a sort of gear history of everyone who's ever posted in it, and even though I haven't posted much here lately because University = no money, I still hold 4th place for most posts.

And that's retarded.

But the point I'm trying to get at here is, that after looking back on all of the posts I've made, and reminiscing about all of the gear I've owned that has come and gone, and laughing at all the dumb poo poo I posted, there exists a record of almost every piece of music gear that has ever crossed my hands.

Today this became important. In 2008 I got a Roland G-707 and GR-700, with all of the accoutrements, on eBay for a stupidly good deal. As it turned out, the GR-700 didn't work properly and the G-707 was a piece of poo poo, so I resold everything and made a nice profit.

At the time, this was my first adventure into MIDI/GK guitar. I really wanted it to work, but I also didn't want to sit on a bunch of busted crap when I could use the money to buy a GK-3 and Axon AX-50. So that's what I did. And it's fantastic.

But today a thing happened. A thing that makes me wish I didn't sell all of those M-16C and M-64C memory cartridges for $100 a piece. A thing that makes me wish I still had the bizarro power cable for the GR-700, and the guts of the G-707.

Last night I got a phone call from a friend saying he had a gift for me, and that I could pick it up at his house within the next 20 minutes. Problem was that his house is all the way across town and it wasn't likely to happen, so I asked if it was something he could bring to class today.

"Sure, I'll throw it in the trunk and you can follow me to my car after class."
"What the gently caress is it?"
"You'll see. It's not something you want to be hauling around school all day that's for sure."
"Is it a live animal? Did you get me a parrot?"
"Even better."

After walking to the parking lot and explaining to him a curious loophole I found regarding one of our final exams in two days, he opens the trunk and before I even see what the thing is, he drops these into my hands:

"Here ya go. I have no use for this stuff. It was between you or Curtis, the only two people I know who mess with MIDI guitar poo poo, and he just won the $5k research grant so gently caress 'im."

And I'm like WHAT THE gently caress!?

AND THAT'S MY STORY OF HOW MY DAY IS KICKING rear end!!!! :ocelot: :jp:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 12, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Man, that beats the story of how I got a free bone nut for my Xaviere JT90 cause they put Jazz Lights on it and broke the graphite nut all hollow. Congratuations.

Now, here's the critical question. Can you hook a Rock Band Stratocaster or (the fake Jaguar) up to this and get really weird with it?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It probably requires a special pickup, right?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

The PG-200 is just a programmer for the JX-3p and MKS-30, right? It doesn't actually produce sound anyhow. Do you have one of those synth to hook it up to? I'm referencing: http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/pgs.php and http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/jx3p.php

Regardless, free stuff is beautiful!

Also, rt4, I believe it works similarly to a guitar tuner, rather than requiring special pickups you just plug the guitar in and it attempts to track the notes.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Warcabbit posted:

Now, here's the critical question. Can you hook a Rock Band Stratocaster or (the fake Jaguar) up to this and get really weird with it?

That's what I'm going to figure out... I need something to convert my 13-pin GK signal to match the G-700's 24-pin input. I remember getting into contact with Wayne Joness some time around 2008 to see if it was possible, and he said something to the effect of "Yes, it can be done, but first you'll have to find me the hardware I need to modify," and I think he mentioned something about needing the electronic guts of the G-707, and a set of 24-pin male or female ends. At the time, it didn't make any sense to part out the 707 and sell him the guts when I'd have nothing to play after anyway, so I just sold it all.

He makes the SBC+, which takes 24-pin input and converts it to 13-pin output, which is essentially the reverse of what I need. I was susprised to learn he's still active, and just won 2nd place in the Roland Guitar Synth Challenge that I didn't even know existed.

I could send him the male end of the 24-pin cable I was given, but I just realized it's attached to a GK-1, and I just realized that the GK-1 is rare as poo poo. So, first task is to test the GK-1. The internal cables are exposed at the joint, so there's a chance that something might've been pulled apart internally, and if that's the case, I'd feel less bad about sending the cable to Joness if he can make a converter.

rt4 posted:

It's got the GK-1 with 24-pin connector, so it should work if I can figure out how to mount it properly without a mounting bracket, but I'm not sure how reliable it'll be. I already have a GK-3 and a Ghost-equipped guitar, but those are 13-pin, and the Ghost is borked until I can devote a good solid couple days to troubleshooting it.

Ideally I'd want to be able to control the G-700 via my 13-pin system because that requires less tacky poo poo attached to everything, which looks like it *might* be possible, given that Joness just sold his own custom modded 13-pin GR-700 for $1700.

That's a shitload of money that I don't have to spend, but that's essentially how I wanna try to get this working.

renderful posted:

The PG-200 is just a programmer for the JX-3p and MKS-30, right? It doesn't actually produce sound anyhow. Do you have one of those synth to hook it up to? I'm referencing: http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/pgs.php and http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/jx3p.php

Regardless, free stuff is beautiful!

Also, rt4, I believe it works similarly to a guitar tuner, rather than requiring special pickups you just plug the guitar in and it attempts to track the notes.

The PG-200 *is* just a programmer, and yeah it was used primarily for a bunch of keyboards, but it works with the GR-700 too. Same goes for the M-16C and M-64C memory cartridges. I don't have one of those keyboards. :(

But with regards to needing a special pickup, yes, it needs a GK/hexaphonic pickup to work, so in that sense it's not like a guitar tuner.

Edit: Holy fuckin dog balls I don't know how my friend came upon all of this stuff or why he'd just straight up give it to me... But this video convinced me to open it up and see what version of the software chip is inside, and, surprise, it's got the super rare final revision v5.0 chips.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 12, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Warcabbit posted:

rt4 posted:

No, the Rock Band Pro instruments are full MIDI out guitars. (or guitaroid objects for the cheaper one.) Doesn't the GR-700 have MIDI in?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Warcabbit posted:

Doesn't the GR-700 have MIDI in?

Nope. This was to be used specifically with 1980's guitar controllers. If you wanted the same sounds without the hassle of the guitar controller, I imagine you could get them from the JX-3P or the MKS-30. The GR-700 just has 24-pin input from a compatible guitar controller or hexpander pickup, a 6-pin MIDI DIN for the PG-200, and a few TRS input jacks for expression pedals. It has MIDI-Out though, if you can stomach the ridiculously high latency being passed even further down the chain. I had a GR-20 that came with the GK-3 I bought, and its MIDI-Out latency was the worst thing in the world, so I can't imagine it being a huge selling point of the GR-700.

Here's Roland's 1984 product prochure that goes over it a bit more.

I think I still have the owner's manual from the last one still kicking around somewhere... I'll delve into it a little more once this last hell week of classes is over.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 13, 2011

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A vintage 1986 made-in-Japan equalizer! Now I can make any sound ever

Seriously, if you don't have one, get one now. This was only ~$45 on Ebay.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
That makes for a pretty sweet boost pedal too

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

rt4 posted:

A vintage 1986 made-in-Japan equalizer!
1986 isn't vintage! :corsair:

I got my first guitar in 1986--either I'm old and got it as a young teen or I'm really really old and confused about the past. It's an 'Anjo' F50; screwed around with it a little and put it away. It's followed me through my life and somehow ended up in my basement. The nut is cracked at the low E string so it isn't playable, but the neck is straight. I know how to change a nut now, maybe I'll fix it up.

Regardless, 1986 really wasn't that long ago, Glory of Love by Peter Cetera (from Karate Kid), Broken Wings by Mr.Mister, Party All The Time by Eddie Murphy. I still listen to those songs on my cassette deck and I'm not old... oh gently caress... :(

On a serious note, there are some real gems in those 80's/early 90's Boss and DOD pedals.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Bought a Badass V off craigslist with the intent of replacing the Schaller that's on my five string Jazz, but I think it may be too wide for the string spacing. Not a big deal since I plan on putting together another five eventually, so I'll just hang on to it for further use.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Got a free Yamaha Eterna EF-15 from a lady who didn't play hers anymore. It looked like it hadn't been played in over 10 years.

It definitely looks and feels like a better guitar than what it goes for these days. I've decided to keep it. Took me a good 2 hours destringing, cleaning the bastard, rubbing away all corrosion and spots on the metal parts. After lubricating and greasing up all the moving components, I put some standard 10 slinkys on it and it looks like new.

Here's to hoping the work I put into it was worth it. Will update with pics later.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I, uhm. May have lucked out. Or not. I'm not sure. I got this for $40 today.

It's not my image, but this is the exact pedal I have, position of the pi, knob style, screw locations, and so on.
I think it's a NYC Reissue.
http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html#MuffVersionSummary

I'm having fun.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

I, uhm. May have lucked out. Or not. I'm not sure. I got this for $40 today.

It's not my image, but this is the exact pedal I have, position of the pi, knob style, screw locations, and so on.
I think it's a NYC Reissue.
http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html#MuffVersionSummary

I'm having fun.

The reissues have an LED, and don't have the power/tone bypass (depending on version) switch on the back. The pic you posted looks like one of the late '70s op-amp muffs.

Easy way to be sure: pop the top off, there'll either be 4 transistors, or 2x 8-pin op-amp chips on the board.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
No LED, switch in back (paint damaged). I think I lucked out. Either way, I'm still happy.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
If it's an op-amp one you did, they only made them for a couple of years.

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.

MrLonghair posted:

I just picked one of these up

wire the clock IC to contact points on the case and touch them + ground to get rythmic square wave tones.

plus do the usual sample ICs to themselves wiring to get nice distortion and compression, the snare and kick in particular are nice like this.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Got one of these puppies off Ebay. It's cool because I now have an actual knob to control monitor/headphone volume, rather than having to rely on the Windows volume control :) (and, y'know, I can record different synths without having to fiddle with wires every time)

I wasn't expecting to, but I actually like the built-in effects.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
I joined the esteemed Roland TR-505 club today. We three are the greatest*!

*but not greater than people who have the 606, 707, 808 or 909 :_(

Brick Card fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 17, 2011

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Brick Card posted:

I joined the esteemed Roland TR-505 club today. We three are the greatest*!

*but not greater than people who have the 606, 707, 808 or 909 :_(

Welcome to the club, and dang we all have yellowing! Bet our tempo wheels are finicky too, spoken to people who bought 626/505 at launch and even back then were they useless in staying steady.

I just sold my Kurzweil K2000 (sampler + sequencer) to make cash for an MPC, so my 505 is the heart of my right right now and trust me - we don't have it that bad. 505/626 make some helluva fine sequencers as long as you can make up for the fixed velocity and fixed note length. Acid house for the whole family, my 505 speaks to the Kurzweil PC1X for drums (two channels) and percussion, and then two channels of Roland D-110 for a bassline, both parts are identical except for one with different envelope settings to make improvised Glide with.

Very limited with what I can do, but it is very fun and very productive.

e: Oh, yeah, my 505 is circuit bent to provide tinny percussion when done right, I feed it through equalizer and a pinch of reverb to add a lot of effect to what I've currently got rolling here, all the 505 instruments are down to zero volume yet they still trigger noise with the bends I have, so I gotta move chan#/note# infos on the sixteen pads around to find just the right settings. Sounds like a mess but I'm loving it!

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 17, 2011

usualhandle
Dec 29, 2007
Nothing special about this handle.
all 505 cover band.

and yeah, my knobs are poo poo as hell. use that cleaner goop on em and they work fine. if it gets bad again i'll just replace the encoders (i think they're encoders).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Ok so gear question... Are all these "Beats by Dre" products I've been seeing everywhere legit or just over-hyped pieces of poo poo?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I see them all the time on airplanes - kids and adults wearing them. I wonder too, all hype?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Scarf posted:

Ok so gear question... Are all these "Beats by Dre" products I've been seeing everywhere legit or just over-hyped pieces of poo poo?

There's a lot of marketing muscle behind those headphones. They're not worth what you're paying. Unless you want super ridiculously heavy bass, don't get those. Much better and cheaper ones out there.