Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
gently caress, I shoulda known that. As it turns out, confringo CAN be used on people: "In the All-England Wizarding Duelling Competition of 1420, Alberta Toothill defeated Samson Wiblin, who was the favorite, using a Blasting Curse (fw27)." You're right about the rest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

reflir posted:

gently caress, I shoulda known that. As it turns out, confringo CAN be used on people: "In the All-England Wizarding Duelling Competition of 1420, Alberta Toothill defeated Samson Wiblin, who was the favorite, using a Blasting Curse (fw27)." You're right about the rest though.

haha so she straight up blew a dude up?

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
One of my problems with the movies, and sorry if this has already been discussed a thousand times, was how they interpreted every cool combat spell as "blast somebody backwards on stunt wires." It undermined the existence of half the magic.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That or make them stiff as a board or turn their jegs to jelly or make them uncontrollably dance.

In my opinion, Harry Potter is best read at a breakneck pace so as not to give the reader time to notice these inconsistencies and fallacies.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

blue squares posted:

In my opinion, Harry Potter is best read at a breakneck pace so as not to give the reader time to notice these inconsistencies and fallacies.

Ah, good old Fridge Logic,* the stuff that rollicking drama's built on. :)

The "Muggles are like cats" thing dawned on me as I was reading Book 4 and stayed in the back of my mind as I read/reread the other books, but I confess that I didn't notice other inconsistencies until they were pointed out to me. Sometimes, in my darkest moments, a little voice whispers to me, telling me to write fanfiction that "fixes" some of these problems. I try to smother that little voice whenever I hear it: obeying it will only lead to madness and crapfic. That's what happened with MoR, and that's what would happen with me.

*WARNING: TVTROPES LINK

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I wonder if there's any IP out there where the creators are just as spergy as the fans. I mean it's well known that Lucas doesn't give a gently caress about Star Wars, and Rowling isn't as super detail obsessive as she could be. Despite apparently having all kinds of bios for unseen characters.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Tolkien, old boy! He rewrote passages of LotR to correct the phase of the moon, and the entire series exists to serve as an elaborate background for his conlangs.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Crisco Kid posted:

Tolkien, old boy! He rewrote passages of LotR to correct the phase of the moon, and the entire series exists to serve as an elaborate background for his conlangs.

Yeah, it doesn't get spergier than creating two practically full-fledged languages that really only a small minority of the Universe's population speak and that are seen a couple of times on the actual Trilogy.

I've always wondered if Tolkien spoke Sindarin or Quenya fluently.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

zachol posted:

Rationality is hilariously bad if Rational!Harry is meant to be any sort of a positive character. The only part I really enjoyed was when he completely misread Snape's connection to his parents and got smacked down.
Having a character be clever and pull of something often is alright if he isn't doing it all the time. R!Harry wins basically all the time. If he actually fumbled more often it would be a lot more interesting to read. As it stands, this Harry is just another bad Mary Sue written in an especially clever way.
That's funny, plenty of people have complained that MoR-Harry *loses* too much, and could he please win for once. I guess you can't please everybody.

Really, I understand people's objections - Harry is pretty drat obnoxious at a times, there are info-dumps and author tracts and weird or uncomfortable bits. But gently caress all that, it's still better than canon (and pretty much objectively better written, characterization preferences aside) and infinitely more important in the grand scheme of things. If it makes a few dozen (future) important people more rational it'll arguably do more good for the world than the canon has ever done.

edit: I still give plenty of credit to JKR for finding this space though. It's really a neat little universe. Maybe it could have been found earlier, but it wasn't.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 16, 2011

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pththya-lyi posted:

ShardPhoenix, why on Earth do you like that fic?
It's good. It's funny and smart and the characters and deeper and better drawn than they are in cannon. And it's not just me - the quantity of reviews suggests that it's just about the most popular fanfic of all time relative to how long it's existed.

edit: The author is from a site that's about 75% programmers or similar, so maybe that kind of hyper-literal mindset is necessary to enjoy it. On the other hand, the high level of popularity (including, judging from the reviews, among the sub-literate) suggests otherwise.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 16, 2011

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Paragon8 posted:

Saying that only "typical self-loathing nerd-culture-cringing goons" would hate it is an odd way to deflect any criticism. I don't hate it at all, I just think it's awful. It's not because people don't like "nerd culture" or that they're "self loathing" it's that it is loving terrible.
Yeah, sorry for the preemptive lashing out, but I'm pretty tired of this forum's attitude of being the "cool nerds" who look down on other nerds.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ShardPhoenix posted:

edit: The author is from a site that's about 75% programmers or similar, so maybe that kind of hyper-literal mindset is necessary to enjoy it.

I have no idea what the hell that means or what you're trying to say here, but I'm gonna assume it boils down to :spergin:

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Hedrigall posted:

I have no idea what the hell that means or what you're trying to say here, but I'm gonna assume it boils down to :spergin:
I see you're proud of your non-comprehension of trivial statements. Perhaps you should continue to read popular children's literature.

:v:

edit: I guess if it helps you understand, MoR is for people who are more concerned about what's true than what's cool. So yes, :spergin: for a sufficiently loose definition of :spergin:.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 16, 2011

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ShardPhoenix posted:

The author is from a site that's about 75% programmers or similar

I wouldn't call a bunch of people with no qualifications talking about how awesome it's going to be when a benevolent AI makes us all immortal formless beings "programmers".

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Hahaha, that figures. Let me adapt my earlier response

"lol, transhumanism."

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ShardPheonix, I recommend you read Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" series. I think you'll really like it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Paragon8 posted:

ShardPheonix, I recommend you read Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" series. I think you'll really like it.
I have read that whole series; And ignoring all the ham-fisted political opinions, rape, torture, forced character development and stuff (aka: 80% of the books) it's miles better then the one chapter MoR I read.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Crisco Kid posted:

One of my problems with the movies, and sorry if this has already been discussed a thousand times, was how they interpreted every cool combat spell as "blast somebody backwards on stunt wires." It undermined the existence of half the magic.

I'm watching the latest film now, and it's just difficult to watch because I can't stop myself from pointing out everything that's missing from the book. I think my girlfriend is a bit annoyed at my constant comments...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ShardPhoenix posted:

edit: I guess if it helps you understand, MoR is for people who are more concerned about what's true than what's cool. So yes, :spergin: for a sufficiently loose definition of :spergin:.

Honestly, I can kind of understand this. But the point of reading a children's book about magic isn't to try and implant the magic into real science, but instead to entertain. If you needed that from your reading material and you found it, good for you, but I really think that you're looking for the wrong thing from the series to be criticizing it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurchibles posted:

I'm watching the latest film now, and it's just difficult to watch because I can't stop myself from pointing out everything that's missing from the book. I think my girlfriend is a bit annoyed at my constant comments...

I have the same problem. Somethings it's hard to understand why was cut, like the fact that Harry's dad was one of the persons responsible for the Maurader's Map. They also almost cut out Kreacher, Rowling had to remind the writers that he was kinda important to the plot.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
The thing that annoyed me the most was the scene were Bellatrix and some others burned down the burrow in THBP.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Blight posted:

The thing that annoyed me the most was the scene were Bellatrix and some others burned down the burrow in THBP.

This bothered everyone in the fandom. Everyone.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I read a fanfic a couple years ago where Harry went into a different universe and met Sirius. They immediatly started kicking rear end and loving bitchs. I remember it being oddly entertaining. I'm pretty sure it was super long too, anyone know what I'm talking about?

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

I read a fanfic a couple years ago where Harry went into a different universe and met Sirius. They immediatly started kicking rear end and loving bitchs. I remember it being oddly entertaining. I'm pretty sure it was super long too, anyone know what I'm talking about?

That sounds horribly wonderful. The one fanfic I remember was about Tonk's dad waiting for a train in "Kings Cross Station" I liked that one but haven't been able to find.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
A Black Comedy is probably what you're thinking of.

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010

njbeachbum posted:

That sounds horribly wonderful. The one fanfic I remember was about Tonk's dad waiting for a train in "Kings Cross Station" I liked that one but haven't been able to find.

Probably not what you're looking for, but this series of vignettes is one of my favorites and features a lot of the people who died in the books in a kind of afterlife. It's focused around King's Cross Station and also features Terry Pratchett's version of Death. I only quote you because one of the stories is about the Tonks'. Regardless, you may enjoy them - I've always enjoyed reading them, they're quite sweet.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

zachol posted:

A Black Comedy is probably what you're thinking of.

Yeah, this is the one. It's a lot longer than I remember it being.

Edit: haha I was just skimming it, and I forgot the best part. In the alternate universe Harry goes to, Voldemort killed him as a baby. Voldemort was never able to take over the world though, he was always stopped by a mysterious wizard. No one knows who this wizard is. Everyone calls him by the name Voldemort gave him. He is known throughout the entire story simply as "That Fucker"

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 19, 2011

blankoblanco
Apr 3, 2009
MoR Harry is so fascinatingly obnoxious and unbearable. I had no preconceived notions about the fanfic going in and found myself enjoying it, assuming it had to have been written in a self-aware, tongue-in-cheek manner. The enjoyment diminished as I gradually realized I was really just reading the ravings of an actual sperglord. It's still been good for a couple laughs, though now I wonder how many of them were intentional.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
I ran across By Any Other Name when I was looking for quidditch reference images and one of the illustrations came up as a result. It creates a fuller back story about Lily and Snape based on what we learned in the books without going totally off-kilter, and I thought the illustrations were simple but nicely done.

e: It seems that some of the chapters won't load, and although Google has cached copies, they are missing the illustrations, welp.

e2: And now it's loading fine. Apparently it was written before Deathly Hallows, too.

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 20, 2011

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

blankoblanco posted:

MoR Harry is so fascinatingly obnoxious and unbearable. I had no preconceived notions about the fanfic going in and found myself enjoying it, assuming it had to have been written in a self-aware, tongue-in-cheek manner. The enjoyment diminished as I gradually realized I was really just reading the ravings of an actual sperglord. It's still been good for a couple laughs, though now I wonder how many of them were intentional.
MoR Harry is supposed to be the way he is because he's a horcrux, his personality is strongly influenced by that. It's been mentioned repeatedly that he doesn't act like an eleven years old, this is only partly because of the fact that he's a self-insert of the author, but it's also definitely intentional.

Aust
Jan 27, 2009

Zarfol posted:

And yeah, all of the students were lovely. You here about the older dudes making their own spells, potions, learning how to transform into animals, becoming immortal and poo poo, but Harry is the laziest motherfucker ever.

I'm done :spergin:

Basically this is one of the things I think Rowling could have done better. There is supposed to be an element of empathy with the characters with the whole "oh Harry has to do homework and he hates it and sneaks off. I am a kid and I hate homework too," or whatever. But it's hard to empathize with Harry and company when your homework is to learn how to shoot a fireball out of your rear end. Harry doesn't even have the whole "oh I grew up as a wizard so this seems normal and thus boring to me" excuse Ron has.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Aust posted:

Basically this is one of the things I think Rowling could have done better. There is supposed to be an element of empathy with the characters with the whole "oh Harry has to do homework and he hates it and sneaks off. I am a kid and I hate homework too," or whatever. But it's hard to empathize with Harry and company when your homework is to learn how to shoot a fireball out of your rear end. Harry doesn't even have the whole "oh I grew up as a wizard so this seems normal and thus boring to me" excuse Ron has.

In Harry's defense, it usually wasn't the practical portions of courses he was lazy about, but the theory/essay assignments. Anything can be made boring depending on how the assignment is presented - Shooting fireballs out of your rear end would get pretty dull if you have to contemplate and explain clenching techniques and such ;)

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Buggalo posted:

Probably not what you're looking for, but this series of vignettes is one of my favorites and features a lot of the people who died in the books in a kind of afterlife.

Here's all of them - the livejournal posts appear to be missing two. And, fanfiction or not, if you don't tear up a little at a couple of these you are obviously lacking a soul.

(I don't really get the blanket hate for fanfiction - sure, it's subject to Sturgeon's Law like anything else, and there are very few barriers to truly crappy stuff being put out there. But good writing is good writing, even if the writer is playing in someone else's sandbox. . . )

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Aust posted:

Especially considering the alternative to Hogwarts for Harry was essentially being in an abusive household.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Aust posted:

More like big long essays about shooting fireballs out your rear end

Brinstar Brew fucked around with this message at 10:12 on May 21, 2011

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!
Wow.

So, completely independently of this thread, I heard about Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, and I thought "Hey, that could be cute, a rational look at how silly the Wizarding world is." So I decided to read it, and snagged the epub the author provides for my nook. Nine hundred pages? Well, okay, at least it's in depth, right?

:psyduck:

I'm not sure quite when it went off the rails. I wasn't really planning on being too fussy about the writing itself, because in general I avoid fanfiction like the plague anyway, and while Harry is being written like he's twice as old as he actually is, I could live with that. Calvin doesn't talk like a six-year-old either, right? Right? So I kept plugging along, even when he starting talking about his mysterious dark side, or when Quirrell turned out to be some kind of supreme badass, or... well, I could go on. It just got more and more ridiculous as it went.

Last night I read the part where he kills a Dementor by rejecting the concept of death itself and thereby summoning a human Patronus and NO I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP and I finally just had to put the thing down and laugh myself silly. This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. At first I thought it was intentional. Then I realized no, no it's not. It's not intentionally funny at all. But it's so damned hilarious. I can't stop reading it, in the trainwreck sense of "can't stop."

If it wasn't 900 pages long I would totally do a dramatic reading of this.

Bellwether fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 22, 2011

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Really? Considering how learning to cope with the reality of death is such a big theme in the Harry Potter books, that scene sounds like a colossal case of missing the point. I mean, Voldemort is driven to evil by the fear of his own mortality, so how's MoR Harry different from canon Voldemort?

Bellwether
Nov 4, 2009

Imperfection is beautiful!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Really? Considering how learning to cope with the reality of death is such a big theme in the Harry Potter books, that scene sounds like a colossal case of missing the point. I mean, Voldemort is driven to evil by the fear of his own mortality, so how's MoR Harry different from canon Voldemort?

Because Harry is using the power of SCIENCE! :science:

Seriously that's pretty much it. MoR Harry wants to see a Glorious Transhuman Future where death has been cured and blah blah blah and despite being a transhumanist myself I actually kind of had to cringe at how hackneyed it came off (before I started laughing at the outcome). He actually calls Dumbledore an idiot to his face for saying he's accepted that he's going to die someday.

So I'm not sure it was missing the point so much as "I'm right and nothing else is allowed to be wrong and let me tell you why for the next five pages."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Holy poo poo that sounds like you actually got farther than me. Or else I just blocked out that part.
I've said this before, but MoR almost works (for me at least) if you pretend that it's some sort of parody and MoR!Harry is meant to be seen as a horrible person and the author doesn't actually share his views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

K0npeito posted:

He actually calls Dumbledore an idiot to his face for saying he's accepted that he's going to die someday.
Actually in a later scene he admits to himself that Dumbledore's point of view is internally consistent, it just happens to be something MoR-Harry personally disagrees with. He's still a self-insert for the author, that doesn't mean that that's the full extent of his character or that the readers are supposed to sympathize with everything he thinks or says.

Pththya-lyi posted:

He's not very different from MoR-Voldemort, he pretty much states outright while talking to Quirrell that he's the way he is (in contrast to Quirrell) because he grew up with loving parents while it's very clear that Quirrell/Tom Riddle/Voldemort (the guy that grew up in an orphanage) is an antisocial misanthropist.

• Locked thread