Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Decrepus posted:

I'm trying to play Star Wolves but I must be missing something. I only have my mothership and two fighters at this point but my fighters are loving worthless. They wobble around and trail the enemy impotently when I give them attack orders and my mothership probably contributes more than 75% of the damage. Even fighting the smallest weakest badguys I end up having to turn on 4x speed and watch a shameful display.

Welcome to playing games from Russia, where the concept is fantastic but the implementation lacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm refusing to get my hopes up about EA so I'm thinking Star Control or Master of Orion

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

They already have Master of Orion :ssh:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Oh, well that shows what I know

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

And you can get an updated version of Star Control 2 from here, if you weren't already aware: http://sc2.sf.net

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

teethgrinder posted:

And you can get an updated version of Star Control 2 from here, if you weren't already aware: http://sc2.sf.net

Yeah I know that, I'm just trying really really hard not to get my hopes up for EA

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I figure Ascendancy is a possibility. I wouldn't mind that again though the iOS version is pretty dandy. I haven't played the port enough to see if the AI is actually challenging now though. (Not my iPad.)

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Is there a possibility that it's Homeworld and the big publisher is actually THQ?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I have a vain hope that one day GoG will get Imperium Galactica 2. I loved that game.

I will never forgive myself for not storing those discs properly in their covers until they got scratched into uselessness. :(
Then again, I heard it doesn't work properly with Windows XP, so getting it to work on Windows 7 would probably take a GoG touch anyway.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 12, 2011

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!

JayBulworth posted:

Is there a possibility that it's Homeworld and the big publisher is actually THQ?

I read that as "Homefront" and immediately thought "No, why would... oh."

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Wilder speculation: The X-Wing/TIE Fighter series. :munch:

This is my guess. Lucasarts qualifies as a big publisher, and they've been willing to release older stuff on steam.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Amethyst posted:

This is my guess. Lucasarts qualifies as a big publisher, and they've been willing to release older stuff on steam.

Not just re-release, they went to the trouble of completely re-making Monkey Island's 1 and 2 for re-release. That shows a level of interest in their back-catalogue that's beyond the ordinary.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That's not a very fair teaser! How many games have stars in them?

For me, the answer to the question would have been Tie Fighter. Only ever played the demo, and my POS PC just kind of stopped running most games not to long after that, then my joystick broke. By the time I had enough money to get a sound card, it was deep into the Windows 95 era, when configuring just about any DOS game was a nightmarish roulette.

I'd happily see an entire American feedlot populated by Pixar-generated puppies carpet bombed to play me some Tie Fighter.

e: my actual guess for the game to be released would be Starflight.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I really doubt they'll release Tie-Fighter or X-Wing. That series actually required a joystick, in the "will not start without one" sense. That sadly doesn't fly nowadays, and they'll do a re-release I'd expect it to be retooled to atleast have mouse controls. (they don't have to be good ones obviously)

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Really wishful thinking here but if it's one of the Frontier Elite games, I will poo poo a brick in excitement. Who even owns the rights to those now?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Faerie Fortune posted:

Really wishful thinking here but if it's one of the Frontier Elite games, I will poo poo a brick in excitement. Who even owns the rights to those now?

Some of Gametek's assets got bought out by Take-Two when they went under, so they might have it.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

DatonKallandor posted:

I really doubt they'll release Tie-Fighter or X-Wing. That series actually required a joystick, in the "will not start without one" sense. That sadly doesn't fly nowadays, and they'll do a re-release I'd expect it to be retooled to atleast have mouse controls. (they don't have to be good ones obviously)

Why not retool them for a gamepad? Dual-analog controls would be a workable joystick substitute.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
My guess is it'll be The Movies, that game from the Fable guy. The teaser image kind of looks like a blurred version of the box art.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

DatonKallandor posted:

Why is that a reason to stop them from releasing it? They're not making people buy these things.

edit: You could probably use xpadder or something to emulate it with the mouse anyway.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Methodis posted:

My guess is it'll be The Movies, that game from the Fable guy. The teaser image kind of looks like a blurred version of the box art.

Now that would be a disappointment

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All I see is a blur of red and blue that doesn't look at all like The Movies. I really wouldn't object to having that game because I enjoyed the demo and there are still people making machinima for it.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Now that would be a disappointment
Especially since we already have Activision.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
And while it's a fun game, I really doubt it made many people dream of anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

metallicaeg posted:

And while it's a fun game, I really doubt it made many people dream of anything.

If taken literally, no. Metaphorically "stars" means celebrities and Hollywood is often called "Land of [Broken] Dreams."

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

The front page has changed to "What game made you ride with the outlaws?" in a very Western-style font.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Flashduck posted:

The front page has changed to "What game made you ride with the outlaws?" in a very Western-style font.

Lucasarts is looking more and more likely now.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Surely it can't literally be Outlaws?

I can't think of any other old western games apart from maybe Desperados but they already have Atari.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Lucasarts is looking more and more likely now.

Yeah, they're hinting so much at this point that people will get dissapointed if doesn't turn out to be LA.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, there's always a chance that it's Desperados.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Surely it can't literally be Outlaws?

I'm thinking the same thing. EA's back catalog would be better, but all of the old LucasArts classics would be the next best thing. Still too early to tell though.

Can't wait for Thursday.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Not very subtle hints. Rad publisher though so I'm not complaining.

Any guesses on what the next unsubtle hint will be?

What game had a MONKEY in it? What game made you fight some evil FORCES? Which game featured a crazy MANSION?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Mq posted:

Not very subtle hints. Rad publisher though so I'm not complaining.

Any guesses on what the next unsubtle hint will be?

What game had a MONKEY in it? What game made you fight some evil FORCES? Which game featured a crazy MANSION?

What do you call the thing where you weave thread? What is twice as much as half throttle?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I have to say, if it is Lucasarts I'll be disappointed. Great publisher with a fantastic back-catalogue, but most of it is perfectly playable on ScummVM already. The Jedi Knight series is good I guess, and it'll be nice if they got X-Wing etc but the core appeal of LA (for me) are their adventure games

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
http://lparchive.org/Outlaws/

Definitely LA.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

All I care about is Grim Fandango working on modern setup and mother loving Armed and Dangerous which comes from the makers of Giants.

I'm still skeptical about LucasArts. Discounting Star Wars, Loom is probably the only game I could even remotely stretch the first clue to.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

al-azad posted:

All I care about is Grim Fandango working on modern setup and mother loving Armed and Dangerous which comes from the makers of Giants.

I'm still skeptical about LucasArts. Discounting Star Wars, Loom is probably the only game I could even remotely stretch the first clue to.

Oh gently caress oh gently caress I didn't even think of Grim Fandango. Oh man if they get that working I'll be like a pig in poo poo

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I have to say, if it is Lucasarts I'll be disappointed. Great publisher with a fantastic back-catalogue, but most of it is perfectly playable on ScummVM already. The Jedi Knight series is good I guess, and it'll be nice if they got X-Wing etc but the core appeal of LA (for me) are their adventure games

Many of their adventure games are already on Steam. I'm only interested in their space sims.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

I dunno about the rest of you, but The Dig did a lot more to make me think of alien life than any Star Wars game ever did.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

GrandpaPants posted:

I dunno about the rest of you, but The Dig did a lot more to make me think of alien life than any Star Wars game ever did.

It's academic really, but given that they explicitly name Outlaws in the 2nd clue, I have to believe that the mention of "Stars" was an explicit reference to Star Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Oh gently caress oh gently caress I didn't even think of Grim Fandango. Oh man if they get that working I'll be like a pig in poo poo
Me neither. I've never even seen the game besides screenshots.