Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Veyrall posted:

Oh no! They're gonna eat him! Poor guy.

That's what bondsman means, right? Emergency Rations?

Nope. From the wiki:
"A Bondsman is a Clan prisoner taken during combat, of any caste or rank. A Bondsman is considered a member of the Laborer caste until freed or promoted back to active service."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Oh no! They're gonna eat him! Poor guy.

That's what bondsman means, right? Emergency Rations?

I am not going to be making a pun about wolfing him down.

I wonder how our intrepid Clanners will save the day this time? Maybe some lucky rolls to hit will come their way, though that seems a poor substitute for strategy.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

evilmiera posted:

I wonder how our intrepid Clanners will save the day this time? Maybe some lucky rolls to hit will come their way, though that seems a poor substitute for strategy.

I'm gonna murder that fucker in B4. Because I'm Colonel Rossi. And that's how I roll. :black101:

(2nd Donegal is now officially the most badass unit in the PTN-verse, in my totally non-biased opinion)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WarLocke posted:

(2nd Donegal is now officially the most badass unit in the PTN-verse, in my totally non-biased opinion)

Yeah, the Caballeros were pretty badass, but it's hard to top the Unwearied Second.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, the Caballeros were pretty badass, but it's hard to top the Unwearied Second.

Do I sense badass team-up in our future?

Please?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
A Wolfhound pilot taken bondsman by the clans. Does that mean the Steel Vipers get the Invasion's Mary Sue, instead?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Preechr posted:

A Wolfhound pilot taken bondsman by the clans. Does that mean the Steel Vipers get the Invasion's Mary Sue, instead?

:golfclap:

e: He's even got a silly name - not as bad as 'Wolf Wolf' but the guy's name is Hunter!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BTW, since the Cyclops has hands Rossi needs to tear a piece of burning wreckage off that Battle Cobra and use it to smash that clanner's head in :black101:

Spencerb
Apr 16, 2005

Preechr posted:

I don't remember Kell being defeated by a small hill.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Terrifying Effigies posted:

BTW, since the Cyclops has hands Rossi needs to tear a piece of burning wreckage off that Battle Cobra and use it to smash that clanner's head in :black101:

What are the rules regarding grabbing bits of junked mechs to use for clubs? And how does it compare to simply firing the laser I have left (plus my other weapons) and then just punching with the other arm?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

WarLocke posted:

What are the rules regarding grabbing bits of junked mechs to use for clubs? And how does it compare to simply firing the laser I have left (plus my other weapons) and then just punching with the other arm?

You normally need two functioning hand actuators to grab a club, which does, IIRC, your tonnage/5 in damage and prevents you from firing from hands which have a club in them. The club does 18 damage, but punching does 9x2 and uses the punch table, so 1/6th chance of any attack hitting the head.

So don't fire the ML, just punch them. You'll do more damage in the long run.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Spencerb posted:

I also remember Kell getting shot and staying down the first time like a little bitch, not standing himself up on one leg and yelling "IS THAT ALL YOU GOT, BITCH?"

That's why the only job he could get was working for the company his dad owned.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

MJ12 posted:

but punching does 9x2 and uses the punch table, so 1/6th chance of any attack hitting the head.

You can only make one punch per turn, no matter what MegaMek seems to think.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

e: He's even got a silly name - not as bad as 'Wolf Wolf' but the guy's name is Hunter!

Which means that for his best chances to become a mechwarrior again it will probably entail getting traded/bondsmanned over to Jade Falcon (who are also known for having freeborn warriors with silly names) or Ghost Bear, or really just about any other Clan. Since Steel Vipers are dicks and not really known for having freeborn Mechwarriors.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

OK, so the plan is to take a Battle Cobra leg or something about beat Mister Dead Man to a bloody pulp with it while lighting off my AC, SRMs, and LRMs (why the gently caress not). Too bad none of the wrecks are in convenient locations, I have to turn nearly around to get to the closest one.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can make one punch attack per turn, but you may choose to punch with one or both arms. Total Warfare, page 145.

Yes, that means if you have the "extra melee attack" pilot special, you can punch someone four times in a single round.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MJ12 posted:

You can make one punch attack per turn, but you may choose to punch with one or both arms. Total Warfare, page 145.

Yes, that means if you have the "extra melee attack" pilot special, you can punch someone four times in a single round.

Clearly the option now is to do the Captain Kirk double axe-handle right on the Lucerne's head.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

landcollector posted:

Nope. From the wiki:
"A Bondsman is a Clan prisoner taken during combat delicious, of any caste or rank and should be eaten with fava beans. A Bondsman is considered a member of the Laborer Delicious caste until freed eaten or promoted back to active service the Un-Delicious Caste."

I noticed some factual errors. Don't thank me, it's just one of my many services.

landcollector posted:

You forgot to mention the Chianti. Shame on you!

Is there a Clan version of Seppuku?

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 13, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Spencerb posted:

Having been defeated by a hill, though, MechWarrior Hunter continued to stand upright, despite losing one and then both legs, and he went down Alpha Striking.

That is some :black101: motherfucking poo poo, there. And given his piloting ability, it's not at all unreasonable for the Clanner to have assumed the 'mech was defective.

[edit] Also, you can get a tree club as well. There is something... Poetic about uprooting a burning tree and clubbing a Clanner upside the cockpit with it.

Still, you're probably better off using your fists. You'll have 2x 1/6 chances to hit the HD, and any hit like that is going to clean off all the armor and probably shake the guy inside up something awful. On the other hand, if you use a club and nail the HD, it's an instant kill, and payback for our brave Banshee's pilot.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 12, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Veyrall posted:

I noticed some factual errors. Don't thank me, it's just one of my many services.

You forgot to mention the Chianti. Shame on you!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Here's to hoping Warlocke and Mukai's characters survive this fight. Its a lot of fun reading how PTN's writing their personalities.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Still, you're probably better off using your fists. You'll have 2x 1/6 chances to hit the HD, and any hit like that is going to clean off all the armor and probably shake the guy inside up something awful. On the other hand, if you use a club and nail the HD, it's an instant kill, and payback for our brave Banshee's pilot.

Couldn't you still punch with the off-hand anyway? In any case you can't shoot the turn you pick up a weapon.

GRAB A WEAPON :black101:

LeschNyhan fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 13, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, it's kind of suitable that the two "extras" get killed or taken prisoner while the colonel gets to go down in a blaze of glory taking on clanners one-on-one and our narrator-figure hides out near a forest fire. The best dramatic effect would be Rossi dying holding back Gamma star and Clover escaping into the woods with the Rommel crew. Partial victory, clans shamed but Caeser Steiner captured.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Having been defeated by a hill, though, MechWarrior Hunter continued to stand upright, despite losing one and then both legs

His right leg was fine :colbert:

Also, neither punching 'Mech has fists.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

His right leg was fine :colbert:

Also, neither punching 'Mech has fists.

The launcher arm on the Zeus is fluffed as being designed for punches, to me fair.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

For the club v clubless debate, note that a club is less likely that two punches to score a headshot, a club headshot won't rattle the clanner. It will end him.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

raverrn posted:

For the club v clubless debate, note that a club is less likely that two punches to score a headshot, a club headshot won't rattle the clanner. It will end him.

Don't forget that with the way battletech works, 2x damage in one location is typically better than x damage in two locations.

Defiance Industries posted:

The launcher arm on the Zeus is fluffed as being designed for punches, to me fair.

Mechs don't even need hands to punch. You do, however, incur a tohit penalty when punching without hands (unless you fluff handwave as you've pointed out).

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Longinus00 posted:

Don't forget that with the way battletech works, 2x damage in one location is typically better than x damage in two locations.

Yeah, it's just too bad the Zeus dosen't have a hand, the Lucrene only has 11 armor in the CT.

What are the odds of a kick hitting CT, anyway?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

raverrn posted:

Yeah, it's just too bad the Zeus dosen't have a hand, the Lucrene only has 11 armor in the CT.

What are the odds of a kick hitting CT, anyway?

None. Kicks only hit legs unless the target's prone. Of course, this means if you can get in the left/right side, you can choose exactly what leg to hit, which is really useful at times.

Brandy Collins
Sep 17, 2009

Preechr posted:

Actually, I couldn't help but think of Ciro Ramirez.

There is a canonical Wolfhound pilot taken bondsman who is important (TM)?

I have to say, this was not what I was expecting for the threads first introduction to the Clans. While not as one-sided and expedient a beating as I thought, this is somehow better. :allears:

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Brandy Collins posted:

I have to say, this was not what I was expecting for the threads first introduction to the Clans. While not as one-sided and expedient a beating as I thought, this is somehow better. :allears:
To be fair, they've only been introduced to the least scary part of the clans.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Brandy Collins posted:

Phelan Kell, who was kind of A Thing in the canon timeline. He liked his Wolfhound so much that after winning a Bloodname (defeating EVERY Clan trueborn warrior in the running for it) and becoming one of Clan Wolf's khans (!!!) he had a IIC version designed and built for himself.

Dude is a walking Mary Sue. Like, up there with Victor Steiner-Davion and Kai Allard-Liao.

God, don't get me started on Kai. :suicide:

Edit: I forgot - Phelan Kell/Wolf/Ward was such a badass that eventually he got an actual Bloodname of his own. He's the father or patriarch or original donor or whateverthefuck of the Kell Bloodname. :psyduck:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 13, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xmas Future posted:

To be fair, they've only been introduced to the least scary part of the clans.

Tanks are the least scary part. Their pilots aren't just equal; they are actually WORSE.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
If the Snakes end up coming away with a total victory here, I actually hope we might see the Wolfhound IIC in use by more than Mary Sues, in deference to its badassery in one of the opening battles of the Inner Sphere campaign.

One can dream. :allears:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

Phelan Kell, who was kind of A Thing in the canon timeline. He liked his Wolfhound so much that after winning a Bloodname (defeating EVERY Clan trueborn warrior in the running for it) and becoming one of Clan Wolf's khans (!!!) he had a IIC version designed and built for himself.

Not entirely true. He talked about his 'Mech so much, Rana Kerensky talked to her uncle Ulric (the IlKhan) and he had a Wolfhound IIC custom-built for Phelan.

Defiance Industries posted:

Tanks are the least scary part. Their pilots aren't just equal; they are actually WORSE.

Except for the Hell's Horses, who prefer tanks to 'Mechs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

WarLocke posted:

HI!

PoptartsNinja posted:

The new starter box also disagrees with you.

Brandy Collins posted:

Actually, I couldn't help but think of Ciro Ramirez.

Ciro Ramirez is also canonical. His mech is never mentioned, he's just a classmate of Victor Steiner-Davion's at the Nagelring.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
gently caress the haters, Phelan's a boss :c00lbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

HI!

Hah, I'm a huge Robotech fan but I didn't make this connection. Damnit PTN that Wolfhound should have been a Phoenix Hawk LAM for maximum nerdiness. :argh:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

As an unrelated note, hopefully the overall ability of our pilots impresses the Clanners so much we get IICs of every single mech in this fight. Banshee IIC, Zeus IIC, Wolfhound IIC, Cyclops IIC...

and maybe in honor of our brave little tank crew, a Rommel IIC.

Probably not going to happen but a man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

WarLocke posted:

Hah, I'm a huge Robotech fan but I didn't make this connection. Damnit PTN that Wolfhound should have been a Phoenix Hawk LAM for maximum nerdiness. :argh:

Wow, I didn't notice that one either. Not that big of a Robotech fan, but I do see references to it all the goddamn time... And he was the pilot that got the boost as well... Agreed on the point about the LAM, though his Wolfhound went out like a boss though. Fully lived up to the name.

As for this turn, I think Colonel Rossi's character is really growing on me. Really nice writing, PTN. Whether he picks up a club or not, this will be an amusing fight to watch, as will the fist fight between the Lieutenant and the Lucerne. If Rossi makes good on his boast, that Mechwarrior will be dust, his name forgotten to time...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 13, 2011

• Locked thread