Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
It was loving hilarious that the Golden Screw -story is EXACTLY the same I tell people if I'm in the mood of telling really bad jokes. I make it last 30 minutes describing every single phase of the boys life and that makes the punchline double as good.

Dunno if it's a well known thing but I've never heard anyone else tell it or have anyone recognise it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

I thought "man mothers" was a pretty hilarious scene, but in a "let's see what we can trick the stupid foreigner into believing" way. I also figured that the women he mentioned it to were implicitly telling him "it's not men's business in our society to worry about pregnancy or children."

No bid COVID fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 4, 2011

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Rothfuss didn't invent the Adem's lack of understanding regarding fathers and parenting, that's actually what the Trobriand Islanders believed in real life. They thought that babies were formed when a spirit returned from a distant island where the souls of the dead went. They were also famous for having a crazy amount of sex. So its dumb, certainly, but truth is stranger than fiction in this case.

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

Did Rothfuss claim that as his inspiration? The Adem are portrayed as more advanced than remote island inhabitants, and there was no explanation provided besides a fairly arbitrary "we think women bud."

I mean, we already know Kvothe is somewhat gullible, he did walk off a roof, after all.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Unluckyimmortal posted:

Did Rothfuss claim that as his inspiration? The Adem are portrayed as more advanced than remote island inhabitants, and there was no explanation provided besides a fairly arbitrary "we think women bud."

I mean, we already know Kvothe is somewhat gullible, he did walk off a roof, after all.

I was pointing out that the thing a group of people believe in a book is the same thing a group of similarly promiscuous group of people believed in real life. People in this thread were stating that their beliefs were impossible and unrealistic, and I was stating they were actually beliefs held by real life people. I can't imagine Rothfuss hasn't ever heard of the Trobrianders.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kadath posted:

I was pointing out that the thing a group of people believe in a book is the same thing a group of similarly promiscuous group of people believed in real life. People in this thread were stating that their beliefs were impossible and unrealistic, and I was stating they were actually beliefs held by real life people. I can't imagine Rothfuss hasn't ever heard of the Trobrianders.

As I posted before, as far as we can say about such things with any certainty, such believes was common early on in Stone Age cultures, but they sooner or later discovered how it really worked (or the women told the men finally as someone suggested). Usually long before they developed husbandry. Either the Adem, who have apparently a culture comparable to at least 9th century Europe with access to knowledge that would fit into the 18-19th century (via Mercs and trading), are really, really stupid or Kvothe is the most gullible man in the world.

Or alternatively Patrick Rothfuss sucks at worldbuilding. Which isn't obvious when he uses quasi-medieval cultures (and even there it is problematic at some points - chemical and alchemical knowledge that fits into the 19th century, but no gunpowder and a technological world which seems to be stuck in the usual pre-renaissance Fantasy world), but becomes glaring once he tries to describe a culture in-depth.

No bid COVID
Jul 22, 2007

I'm not really sure where it's canonically stated that Kvothe believes that the Adem don't know how babby is formed.

It doesn't seem crazy to me that a matrilineal and matriarchal society would have an equivalent of the cabbage patch or stork that denies male participation in childbearing.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
What is really going to depress me about the next book is when one of Kvothe/Chandrian kill Elodin, because there is no chance that he is still alive during the frame story.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
What makes you say that?

firt
May 17, 2006
I do believe after this trilogy patrick should write a series on elodin, he's the best character by far after the 2nd book.
Potentially even called "The adventures of elodin and kvothe", that'd be so awesome.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I would read anything about Elodin, problem is I think he's only a good character because he just pops in mysteriously, does awesome poo poo, and then he's gone. Rothfuss would probably kill his best traits if it were entirely him :(.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

firt posted:

I do believe after this trilogy patrick should write a series on elodin, he's the best character by far after the 2nd book.
Potentially even called "The adventures of elodin and kvothe", that'd be so awesome.

In "The Adventures of Elodin and Kvothe", join our heroes for a series of drunken adventures across the land as they delve into the mysteries of their world...and of love...

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As soon as he was introduced in The Name of the Wind, I've pictured Elodin as Chevy Chase's character in Caddyshack wearing wizard robes.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Kadath posted:

As soon as he was introduced in The Name of the Wind, I've pictured Elodin as Chevy Chase's character in Caddyshack wearing wizard robes.

You have just improved my reading experience severalfold. Thanks, bud!

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

My guess for the Felurian part is that Rothfuss at some point, like many of us do, took mushrooms and played around in the forest.

The only problem is that in this section about him learning the magic of the fae and interacting with the omniscient-tree he has to have that weird sex fantasy.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Maxwells Demon posted:

My guess for the Felurian part is that Rothfuss at some point, like many of us do, took mushrooms and played around in the forest.

The only problem is that in this section about him learning the magic of the fae and interacting with the omniscient-tree he has to have that weird sex fantasy.

Good trip for Rothfuss. Bad trip for us.

therapy
Jun 12, 2001

Living the dream

onefish posted:

You have just improved my reading experience severalfold. Thanks, bud!

Completely agreed.

Personally I'd rather read the same story but from another character's point of view. "Kvothe thought he was a musician - walked around with a Lute and Lord knows how he could afford tuition. He was hugely egotistical and largely annoying, and thus had few friends."

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

therapy posted:

Personally I'd rather read the same story but from another character's point of view. "Kvothe thought he was a musician - walked around with a Lute and Lord knows how he could afford tuition. He was hugely egotistical and largely annoying, and thus had few friends."

I wonder if that would be like Ender's Shadow, which I enjoyed a lot more than Ender's Game.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

therapy posted:

Completely agreed.

"Dear diary: A young red-haired human with the awkward manner of a complete virgin wandered into my realm today. Seducing him was practically accidental, and he was done almost before we'd even started. I told him he was the best I'd ever had. Haha! I'm still not sure how I kept a straight face. Tomorrow, I'm going to have him whitewash my fence, and I'll call it something suitably mystical - 'whispering hands' or something - and tell him it has to do with lovemaking. A few of the other fae have offered bets on how long I can string him along. We have a lot of fencing in the Fae."

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

calandryll posted:

I wonder if that would be like Ender's Shadow, which I enjoyed a lot more than Ender's Game.

You.. you.. what? God I hated Ender's Shadow.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Lyon posted:

You.. you.. what? God I hated Ender's Shadow.

Why don't you buy a lute and write a fancy shmancy song about it.

Metonymy
Aug 31, 2005
I'm almost 300 pages in, and nothing has happened. I just finished Joseph Abercrombie's trilogy before starting The Wise Man's Fear, and Rothfuss is looking pretty weak in comparison.

There is no narrative momentum, the supporting characters are flat, and the primary conflict that has consumed the last two books has the feeling of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau pulling pranks on each other in Grumpy Old Men.

Is this Sucker Punch -- are the tired tropes deliberately consuming the story entirely? Am I being trolled?

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I liked Ender's Shadow but Ender's Game is better because Ender is a much more likable character than Bean and his arc is more cohesive. Because Ender is still the subject of even Bean's book, the work doesn't feel as satisfying. I thought it was a neat literary trick, though, and it made Ender's Game more interesting in re-read, so good for you, Mr. Card.

Rothfuss doesn't seem the type to look through his character though another's eyes, though. He's very Kvothe-centered.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sophia posted:

I liked Ender's Shadow but Ender's Game is better because Ender is a much more likable character than Bean and his arc is more cohesive. Because Ender is still the subject of even Bean's book, the work doesn't feel as satisfying. I thought it was a neat literary trick, though, and it made Ender's Game more interesting in re-read, so good for you, Mr. Card.
I have really one main problem with Ender's Shadow - the retconning of some of the Ender-based story. Otherwise I enjoyed it probably more than any other book in the series, barring EG.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The villian in Ender's Shadow was pretty lovely. Curse you comically evil super genius child who grew up on the the same street that I did!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

keiran_helcyan posted:

The villian in Ender's Shadow was pretty lovely. Curse you comically evil super genius child who grew up on the the same street that I did!

Aw, man, I completely forgot about this.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

therapy posted:

I basically picture everyone reacting to Kvothe like he's an autistic, red-headed 15 year old who talks and acts like he's 60. Basically, everyone just thinks he's super weird.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Sophia posted:

Rothfuss doesn't seem the type to look through his character though another's eyes, though. He's very Kvothe-centered.
But what about Bast, and Chronicler, and the dude that tells the Kvothe stories at the inn? Clearly he's trying his very best to give a view through other characters' eyes!

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I basically picture everyone reacting to Kvothe like he's an autistic, red-headed 15 year old who talks and acts like he's 60. Basically, everyone just thinks he's super weird.

I would have really liked this. But everyone's reactions to Kvothe were half my problem with Name.

He's a genius, he's musically talented, women adore him but he's oh so pure. I get that. I could work with that if people actually found him insufferable, arrogant or otherwise thick-headed.

But everyone loves him. They heap rewards on him for just existing. The only people who don't are so transparently jealous and stupid that they might as well just tack "Malfoy" on at the end.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Oh, man. Today's Penny Arcade is about Kvothe.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Haha, they distilled it pretty well. Ironically Penny Arcade was where I heard of the series for the first time.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Maxwells Demon posted:

Or he read A Midsummer Night's Dream in college. Also, notice that the dialog between Kvothe and Felurian is sometimes in rhymed couplets.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Streebs posted:

Or he read A Midsummer Night's Dream in college. Also, notice that the dialog between Kvothe and Felurian is sometimes in rhymed couplets.

her lines start with a lower case letter for no other perceptible reason than ~fey~

Rothfuss tells a pretty good story but man can it be grating if you think about it too hard

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

her lines start with a lower case letter for no other perceptible reason than ~fey~

It says outright that they start that way because of the way she talks. I don't have the book with me so I can't get the exact line or anything.

I mean it's not really a good reason but there's definitely a perceptible reason.

Metonymy
Aug 31, 2005

Rothfuss tells a pretty good story

But he really doesn't!

I'm not sure how our expectations got so low for storytelling, but The Wise Man's Fear isn't so much a coherent story as it is a sequence of unrelated vignettes. The first three to four hundred pages are Laurel and Hardy-style antics without any consequences or bearing on the larger narrative. Worse still, as they're happening, you fully recognize that they won't have any meaningful relationship to what little larger storyline there is. This is the exact opposite of competent storytelling -- nothing is meaningful, there's no relationship between individual anecdotes, and there's little to no persistent characterization. One minute Kvothe is a sassy student, then he's a thoughtful troubadour, then he's a kung-fu master, then he's a wizard, then he's a Don Juan, then he's a stone-cold killer, and then he's a resigned innkeeper.

Rothfuss is literally writing as if he's Napoleon Dynamite explaining gender dynamics to Pedro: "You know like numchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... girls only want boyfriends who have good skills."

Between the lovely writing, the inconsistent characterization, and the casual misogyny, I thought it might be a deliberate send-up of tired fantasy tropes, but I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't deliberate at all. It's like a Michael Bay movie, but somehow more repulsive. Michael Bay at least recognizes what he's doing and actively panders; Rothfuss is just providing a window into the dark depths of the mind of a goon.

This book is like a how-to guide on how to be stunted. :wal:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's fairly clear to me that all of the (mis)adventures Kvothe gets into have an impact on the overall story, which is him finding and exacting revenge on the Chandrian for killing his family. Everything he's learned so far will play into that, although I'll grant you that he takes to everything a bit too easily and that can be jarring. His experiences at the University, from his initial frustration at Naming to his artificing, all seem to go into who the character is now in the framing story.

He is a Hero of Legend, after all. What are heroes supposed to do but travel around, picking up skills to help them in all their various hero adventures?

That said, having read WMF twice now, I wish that we could have saved a few hundred pages of Kvothe being poor or Kvothe being miserable or Kvothe tracking Denna down and furthered the loving plot some. We're 2/3 into the story and there is a LOT of ground to cover if we're going to just catch up to the framing story, much less have any sort of detail/conclusion to it.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

I made it to the part where the people were talking in the library, and Kvothe took two pages to tell them to shut up and then everyone applauded and it turned into a riff fest.

I am having a hard time picking this up again. Does his character ever learn humility or anything?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
If it makes you feel better, he gets suspended from the Archives for a few days for that like two pages later.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
If it makes you feel better, he eventually loses all his powers and slinks away to run a lovely bar in the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

EC posted:

It's fairly clear to me that all of the (mis)adventures Kvothe gets into have an impact on the overall story, which is him finding and exacting revenge on the Chandrian for killing his family.

Except Rothfuss has said in interviews that not everything has a purpose. Something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "It's a biography. Every part of someone's life isn't about some big overarching plot."

So I'd say very little of it will have much of an impact.

• Locked thread