Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

RizieN posted:

having a very small wedding at some Mosque

Best of luck. As everyone has said, make sure you check with the mosque about their photo policy, make sure your clients have valid expectations of what you're going to provide them, and for the love of all that is good and plentiful in Odin's beard, turn your focus beep off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
This is kind of random, but if you're into landscapes and cinematography, the (very) strange movie Rubber has a lot of great shots. I found myself saying frequently, I would be very proud of that shot.

http://www.rubberthemovie.com/

The film itself is odd, but I liked it.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Munkaboo posted:

So I took some volleyball pictures for a sports league in the DC area and they liked my pictures enough that they would like me to do some for other leagues (to pay me).

What would be a reasonable amount to charge? Should I charge per image used? A flat rate to let them use whatever they want however much they want?

To give you an idea of the quality of the shots (which admittedly isn't amazing, I used a 7D with a 50mm 1.8 and a 70-200 F4L):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/madaaa/sets/72157625741426443/ (the lighting was AWFUL and I was playing too... so not the best positioning)

I would be doing photos for dodgeball, football, softball, and some happy hours at local bars.

My ballpark was 50-75 per session, is that too low or too high?

Empty quoting because nobody gave me any advice :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Elite Taco posted:

This is kind of random, but if you're into landscapes and cinematography, the (very) strange movie Rubber has a lot of great shots. I found myself saying frequently, I would be very proud of that shot.

I saw some crappy movie with Salma Hayek where she played a photographer that did large format landscape photos.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Elite Taco posted:

I saw the trailer for that at my local indy theater Friday, and man, I like creativity and setting new boundaries, but that movie looks stupid as hell. I was a pretty easy audience at the time too. Is the movie exactly how the trailer makes it look or is there more to it?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Munkaboo posted:

Empty quoting because nobody gave me any advice :(

Judging by the size of that venue and how professional it all looks, I'd say $50 is probably the max you could expect. Does the sports league make money any way? If it's just a bunch of people playing for free I doubt they'd want to pay anything.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Elite Taco posted:

I watched Barry Lyndon entirely because of this article, so the great deep focus landscape shots came as a nice surprise.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Beastruction posted:

I watched Barry Lyndon entirely because of this article, so the great deep focus landscape shots came as a nice surprise.

In film school I had to break down a scene from a list of films, which all sucked, so I asked my prof and I was allowed to do Barry Lyndon. While the class wanted Mise-en-Scene (whats in the scene/what you see) most of my analysis was on the cinematography and imagery, but I still got an A+

Stanley Kubrick is killer because he started out as a photographer, and he was such a loving perfectionist that everything had to be just right or else gently caress it. Hence his beautiful images, and the infamous story of firing the lovely actor and just hiring the real Drill Sergeant in Full Metal Jacket.

Sorry to rant about things you probably already know, I just loving love Kubrick.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Beastruction posted:

I love that movie.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Say I want to take a lot of closeups of a drawing and then stitch them together for a really high-res picture.
How should I set up my canon s90 to get max sharpness and the least amount of lens distortion?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Prathm posted:

Say I want to take a lot of closeups of a drawing and then stitch them together for a really high-res picture.
How should I set up my canon s90 to get max sharpness and the least amount of lens distortion?

Zoom in as far as you can without going to digital zoom. If you go wide, it'll make stitching the photos together a little trickier because of the distortion at the edges.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

HPL posted:

Zoom in as far as you can without going to digital zoom. If you go wide, it'll make stitching the photos together a little trickier because of the distortion at the edges.

That's what I figured, thanks.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Also probably use the macro setting so you can focus as close as possible.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Make sure you are as close to perpendicular to your image as possible. You don't want it distorting your image because your lens was angled

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'd recommend taping it to a wall at eye level and supplying bright (but not too bright), even light.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Sorry if this has been asked but I've been put in charge of resizing and compressing tons of huge 10 mb photos to put on the internet. Is there a program I can do this in a huge batch with quickly?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Lightroom would be my program of choice. You can load all of the pictures into the Lightroom catalog (like the library in iTunes) then export them all at a lower resolution. Lightroom will save them as new files where you specify. You can do them all as a batch.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Irfanview is free, runs in Windows, and has several batch functions including resize. I've never tried it with 10mb files, but it handles 3-4mb just fine.

If you have Lightroom, you can import the photos, then export them and specify filesize and / or pixel limits in the export menu.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Photoshop batch resizes with some options too, no clue how speedy it is compared to others though.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think you would have to load all of them into PS before batch resizing them (which could suck depending on how many we're talking about).

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

spf3million posted:

I think you would have to load all of them into PS before batch resizing them (which could suck depending on how many we're talking about).

Nah, File > Scripts > Image Processor

(This is CS4)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I use irfanview to batch resize. Handles 50mb or whatever the gently caress RAWs so should eat 10mb jpegs all day.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

spf3million posted:

Even in CS and CS2 you can select a folder as the source for a batch action rather than the currently open images.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Thanks guys ! Ifranview worked fine. Now to figure out how to get 500 photos on facebook without the upload crashing :S Any advice?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

MrBlandAverage posted:

Even in CS and CS2 you can select a folder as the source for a batch action rather than the currently open images.
Oh good, learn somethin new every day.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Phiberoptik posted:

Thanks guys ! Ifranview worked fine. Now to figure out how to get 500 photos on facebook without the upload crashing :S Any advice?

Batches of 50-100 should be fine.

I've never had the thing crash.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you'd said "put on facebook" instead of resize we could have told ya to just use the Lightroom trial with the facebook publishing plugin 8(

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Does anyone know of a camera store in Berlin where I can find a good range of 120 film?

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Camera Broke

Edit: Oh its back alive, thank you camera gods.

Rockybar fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 13, 2011

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Ballistic Photon posted:

Does anyone know of a camera store in Berlin where I can find a good range of 120 film?

I would be all over this as well.

E: just wrote and asked a guy I know, watch this space.

E2: "In the main train-terminal (Berlin HBF), level 1, by the Goverment quarter/Regierungsviertel-exit."

Prathm fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 14, 2011

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

I'll look into that, but I found exactly what I was looking for at a store called Fotoimpex. They have the best selection of film I've seen so far in any store I've been to in any country.

Sound Insect fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 15, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I've been wondering about this for awhile. As far as I can see the manual doesn't mention it, but what is this thing on the side of my 430EX?

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

tuyop posted:

I've been wondering about this for awhile. As far as I can see the manual doesn't mention it, but what is this thing on the side of my 430EX?

Did one of the strap holders break off?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Did one of the strap holders break off?

Nah I removed a little plastic tab to reveal it.

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/upload/2566/images/canon%20430ex.jpg

If you look at this, you can see the plastic tab on the right side close to the back where the controls are.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

tuyop posted:

Page 4 of the manual says it's a bracket fitting.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Oh, duh. I didn't pay attention to the part name and thought I was looking at the side of a strange-looking camera, not a flash. Shoe-mount screw looks vaguely like a setting dial from the side.

I should get more sleep.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
Slightly odd question:

Now that everyone and their dog has a half decent slr or compact and most people with more than a passing interest in photography know about the rule of thirds, is the rule of thirds method of composition going to become cliche and over used and do we all need to be looking for a new way to make our photos fresh and interesting?

Or is that one aspect that will pretty much always be right and it's other areas of our photos that we need to play with and adjust to find something new and interesting?

I am aware there is probably not a right answer.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

EvilRic posted:

Slightly odd question:

Now that everyone and their dog has a half decent slr or compact and most people with more than a passing interest in photography know about the rule of thirds, is the rule of thirds method of composition going to become cliche and over used and do we all need to be looking for a new way to make our photos fresh and interesting?

Or is that one aspect that will pretty much always be right and it's other areas of our photos that we need to play with and adjust to find something new and interesting?

I am aware there is probably not a right answer.

Yes, absolutely.

There are so many rules and they are so widely disseminated that if everyone followed them it'd all be cookie cutter.

However it is important to understand why they are rules and when you break them, you do it with purpose.

This might not apply to RoT as much as other "rules" but yeah, experimental is the name of the game.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
I agree, but Rule of Thirds works like rhyming. It's an inherent property that triggers in our brains that makes it more appealing. I'm not saying that it should be 100% observed or that even if it became the norm that other methods wouldn't also be appealing or stand out, but it's not going away. It's not like a magical post process that makes things unique and then once everyone does it that makes it just cliche (*cough*HDR*cough*) but it's satisfying a center in your brain that has nothing to do with culture. RoT will always have it's benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
It really should be called "The Guideline of Thirds" rather than the rule since it is by no means follows the definition of a rule. I think it just serves as a beginner's tool for working on their composition. Eventually once you have your eye for what looks good you can throw all the "rules" out the window.