Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

helsabot posted:

What exactly do you mean taboo? I'm just curious as to what would happen to the airave if you actually did order a phone on that line. And what happens if you call the number linked to the airave??
Forget taboo, I didn't even think it was possible to use upgrade eligibility on an Airave (or Airvana, I guess) line. Wouldn't that effectively kill your Airave's service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

No more GPS issues with CM7,.although you.may need to change a sprint setting or two in your phone (I forget what setting it was). Once I did that it was fine.

I went from the latest Fresh, to CM7 final yesterday. Besides doing the clear settings thing on the install from ROM manager, I didn't tweak anything. I went to test GPS out, and it was pretty much an instant lock for me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

brc64 posted:

You have to install some 3rd party software (or dig deep into some normally hidden menus) on a Sense ROM to see whether or not you're actually connected to EVDO. There flat out is no 1x icon on Sense ROMs. It will always report "3G" in the notification bar if you're connected to the wireless network. CM7, on the other hand, has separate icons for each, so it correctly reports your status.

I understand that. How I am telling is when I get error on my phone 'no data/internet connection' when I am trying to do something with data, or when I am trying to stream from my desk and CM7 is giving me issues but Warm doesn't, or when I am driving I drop what I am streaming 3 times when I can go the same route on Warm and not drop once. I am not paying attention to the icon, but to the behavior of my phone.

Still I love and will stick with CM7, and these issues only really happen when I am close to the boundaries of Sprint's coverage. It seems like Sense ROMs (for me at least) hold on better to 3G on these boundaries than CM7 does. That said speaking of the the notification bar with CM7 in these places I barely have a bar when with Sense I had at least 2. Maybe I need to try a new kernel.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

brc64 posted:

Forget taboo, I didn't even think it was possible to use upgrade eligibility on an Airave (or Airvana, I guess) line. Wouldn't that effectively kill your Airave's service?

I would assume that you don't have to put the phone on the Airave line. You would just put it on your own line or eBay it or whatever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

It would be tricky, but I know even in my system I can direct ship an upgrade with activate later, so it doesn't deactivate the current phone, so I would imagine its possibly. Either way, I know Sprint is very against it, and for this one given that the Airrave is free with no contract, it just seems to be a bit over the top. I doubt most people will even try it anyway, but I included it anyway.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
On the topic of calling retentions to get an Airvana unit, do they handle SERO accounts or should I call the SERO number for that? I moved a few months ago and my new apartment building absolutely kills my cell reception, so I'm hoping they might be willing to help me out.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Shortly after they came out I got one of the original Airave units. I didn't get it through calling retentions or anything (I didn't even think of that being an option), I just went to a Sprint store and bought it/added the service to my line. Is it possible for me to upgrade it to one of the new Airvana devices, and if so what do I need to do?

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
Am I the only one having trouble imagining what the EVO 3D can do over the Nexus S in terms of power? Besides burning the battery without a clocking program (which, the EVO3D might unfortunately have no access to depending on root). I mean I've seen a samsung epic run even PSX games pretty stable. I don't see the point in having that much power unless you want to just impress somebody.

EDIT: That is true. Haha, but I doubt from my experiences with PS2 emulators that even the 3D couldn't run a pretty big library of games stably for PS2.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 13, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

jaku78 posted:

I don't see the point in having that much power unless you want to just impress somebody.
PS2 games?

technic
May 7, 2007
Anyone know what Asurion is replacing Heros with?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

jaku78 posted:

Am I the only one having trouble imagining what the EVO 3D can do over the Nexus S in terms of power? Besides burning the battery without a clocking program (which, the EVO3D might unfortunately have no access to depending on root). I mean I've seen a samsung epic run even PSX games pretty stable. I don't see the point in having that much power unless you want to just impress somebody.

EDIT: That is true. Haha, but I doubt from my experiences with PS2 emulators that even the 3D couldn't run a pretty big library of games stably for PS2.
So don't buy one, and don't complain next year when your phone runs ___________ like poo poo and you still have 10 months left before your upgrade.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

jaku78 posted:

My concern with any phone is will it get the latest update. I was told by Palm that I would get 2.0 and now my Pre won't be getting it. I think that is one of the bigger draws to a Nexus phone, better chance of getting the updates.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

god this blows posted:

My concern with any phone is will it get the latest update. I was told by Palm that I would get 2.0 and now my Pre won't be getting it. I think that is one of the bigger draws to a Nexus phone, better chance of getting the updates.

I agree, although a little bit of this depends on which upgrade you are at. Froyo is a huge upgrade over eclair. Gingerbread isn't quite as big a leap over froyo. In the end the phones always should get upgraded, but it just doesn't seem to be the luck of the draw. I think the line is potentially drawn if they continue to lock down access to phones, rooting, etc. Most normal people wont notice what software version they are on, and people who really care would tend to just root and flash it on (hence why I have had gingerbread on my evo for months).

Reading what I just wrote, I comes out a bit like saying "well this is reality so its ok," and I do want to state again that the fact that we have to potentially worry about not.getting future updates on a new flagship phone is bullshit in the end.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

jaku78 posted:

I'm sort of with you, but WoG has a point.

The Nexus S was released in December 2010, and the Nexus One was released in January 2010...so it's a good bet that if/when Google releases their next Nexus phone, it'll be sometime around December 2011/January 2012, and it would make sense that Sprint ends up carrying the next Nexus device pretty quickly.

All of that said, I'm with you in that I don't really think that many (if any non-tablet optimized apps) will require a dual-core CPU to run within the next 12 months. There may be some apps that can utilize both cores, but coding specificallyfor dual-cores would leave A LOT of devices out of the picture in an awful hurry, and would cost developers.

Since the Nexus S will likely cost the same (maybe slightly cheaper) than the EVO 3D, price isn't really a factor...and it will almost certainly get the next version of Android faster than any other device.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - for me, it comes down to the bootloader. I VASTLY prefer AOSP to Sense, and I would greatly enjoy faster software updates and direct Google support.

Only you can decide which is more important to you: Ability to root or better hardware.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

technic posted:

Anyone know what Asurion is replacing Heros with?

99% chance you'll get a Hero

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Woah, the Echo is actually good? (according to Engadget)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm sort of with you, but WoG has a point.

The Nexus S was released in December 2010, and the Nexus One was released in January 2010...so it's a good bet that if/when Google releases their next Nexus phone, it'll be sometime around December 2011/January 2012, and it would make sense that Sprint ends up carrying the next Nexus device pretty quickly.

All of that said, I'm with you in that I don't really think that many (if any non-tablet optimized apps) will require a dual-core CPU to run within the next 12 months. There may be some apps that can utilize both cores, but coding specificallyfor dual-cores would leave A LOT of devices out of the picture in an awful hurry, and would cost developers.

Since the Nexus S will likely cost the same (maybe slightly cheaper) than the EVO 3D, price isn't really a factor...and it will almost certainly get the next version of Android faster than any other device.

I've said it before, I'll say it again - for me, it comes down to the bootloader. I VASTLY prefer AOSP to Sense, and I would greatly enjoy faster software updates and direct Google support.

Only you can decide which is more important to you: Ability to root or better hardware.

While it isn't a given that the EVO3D will have a locked bootloader I can understand the concern given the trend and the various HTC-specific murmurings. However, do you really want to put all your eggs in a basket made of Samsung hardware over merely wanting faster updates? Samsung may have destroyed their record with software support, but that doesn't mean their hardware is a barrel full of roses either.

To say the Nexus S is exactly the same as a Behold or a Moment would be a flat lie, but Samsung has displayed a worrying habit of simply not being able to build a phone and put Android on it without having some major problems that only sometimes get ironed out through software updates. The fact that Google has the software reins doesn't change the fact that it's a Samsung-built phone using Samsung-built parts and until they release something that doesn't have spotty GPS functionality or a tendency to murder SD cards or just a fuckload of other minor issues (a cool one on the Nexus S was the rebooting in the middle of calls over 3 minutes long- apparently a software bug, if you care to look at the latest posts in that link you'll see people complaining about that poo poo clear up into this month) then I'm going to be avoiding them and advising others to do the same.

Google may be able to get right on fixing software bugs but fixing a hardware issue is something that takes longer and will probably cost you money. The EVO 3D may have a locked bootloader, but consider me sold on it barring confirmation of said lock or confirmation of a better phone coming out between now and the end of the year.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

The Entire Universe posted:

While it isn't a given that the EVO3D will have a locked bootloader I can understand the concern given the trend and the various HTC-specific murmurings. However, do you really want to put all your eggs in a basket made of Samsung hardware over merely wanting faster updates? Samsung may have destroyed their record with software support, but that doesn't mean their hardware is a barrel full of roses either.

To say the Nexus S is exactly the same as a Behold or a Moment would be a flat lie, but Samsung has displayed a worrying habit of simply not being able to build a phone and put Android on it without having some major problems that only sometimes get ironed out through software updates. The fact that Google has the software reins doesn't change the fact that it's a Samsung-built phone using Samsung-built parts and until they release something that doesn't have spotty GPS functionality or a tendency to murder SD cards or just a fuckload of other minor issues (a cool one on the Nexus S was the rebooting in the middle of calls over 3 minutes long- apparently a software bug, if you care to look at the latest posts in that link you'll see people complaining about that poo poo clear up into this month) then I'm going to be avoiding them and advising others to do the same.

Google may be able to get right on fixing software bugs but fixing a hardware issue is something that takes longer and will probably cost you money. The EVO 3D may have a locked bootloader, but consider me sold on it barring confirmation of said lock or confirmation of a better phone coming out between now and the end of the year.

See, the thing about that is it was never hardware that was an issue with Samsung Moment in fact it was pretty powerful back when it first came out. It was the fact that Samsung recycled most of their drivers from the Behold and hoped to god they functioned enough for nobody to bitch. They used these old drivers for even updates. If anything is wrong with Samsung phones its the drivers/software, which they never put a whole lot of thought or time into. Which is why I'm still considering the 3D.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Agreed. I got burned pretty hard on the Moment, however I chalked it up to just being a lovely model of phone. I went through 3 of them in less than a year. Tha in mind I then went with the Epic thinking the Moment was just a fluke, as I wanted that hardware keyboard (the EVO Shift had not yet been announced). While the Epic has been a VAST improvement over the Moment, it still has its flaws. I dont feel that these flaws are nearly as massive as certain others in this thread continue to rail on about, but they ARE there. However, with EC05, I'm fairly happy with the phone's performance, but still planning on going with a custom ROM at some point (eagerly watching the CM7 port development).

All of that said, I'm still pretty sure that, barring some massive changes, this will likely be my last Samsung device. HTC just has too much going for it in the way of reputation, community support, etc to ignore. If Samsung can fix its issues with its reputation on software/drivers, I'll reconsider, as I DO love some of the hardware they produce. It's too bad their reputation with their phones is not what it is with their TVs, monitors, appliances, etc.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I am a HTC fanboy but come on. You know that HTC doesn't get off either. The EVO has a terrible battery life, has issues with the charger port breaking (killed my Oreo EVO), back light leaks (my current EVO is doing that), and registering inputs when not in hand. So every phone has it's share of problems.

My biggest worry about the EVO3D, outside of rooting, is the battery life. Forget the dual cpu or 3D, I would of taken a EVO with better battery life over the both of those.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 13, 2011

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Wasn't it mentioned quite a while ago that dual core processors are designed to handle tasks more efficiently and would use a lower amount of power in the long run?

As long as the thing isn't $300 on launch, I know I'll eventually bite.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

general chaos posted:

Wasn't it mentioned quite a while ago that dual core processors are designed to handle tasks more efficiently and would use a lower amount of power in the long run?

I hope so. I will believe it once we start to see reviews of the phone. That said if battery life is worse than the EVO good chance I am not getting one.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

general chaos posted:

Well, theoretically it should as one core can take the load off the other so the phones CPU can clock it itself depending on the load making it cooler and draw less power. The problem with assuming this is more efficient is that it's clocked higher then the other CPUs like the nexus s making it burn more anyway, but most people that love these phones to death will clock it down anyway rooted so who really knows how efficient that is to phones out presently.

Now, since we are still talking about the 3D the problem with the 3D besides the obvious root is that dual core will not be supported until 2.4. It's shipping with 2.3. So that dual core won't do poo poo until both HTC and Google give the green flag. So in 2.3 it will be there for nothing more then eating cycles on background crap. While it still should be faster than other phones, who knows how the hell it will clock with only 1 core really supported in Android. All we know is if the green flag is on everything (supported by OS, clocks running correctly) that will simply outperform the competition in both performance and battery efficiency theoretically. Problem with all that? Going to take a ton of time before that is all settled, but with a 2-year contract to keep in mind waiting a couple of months isn't that horrible.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Stevie Lee posted:

Woah, the Echo is actually good? (according to Engadget)

I think they're taking it for what it is, a new idea on an existing platform coupled with solid engineering. It's a first generation device, so it's going to have its flaws, but if it gets proper support from the application development community and diligent updates from the Kyocera folks, it really could end up being a very good device with subsequently better hardware refreshes. I'm guessing in the future they (Kyocera or other device manufactuers who decide to enter this particular niche) will try to further minimize the middle gap, continue to refine the hinge, and include 4G without killing the battery life. Overall I think they hit it dead on: while not perfect, the idea is executed about as well as you could hope for and sets the groundwork for future dual-screen devices.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Samsung sucks.
I understand your concern. However, everything I've seen about Samsung's phone issues, with the exception of the Vibrant's GPS antenna (which is responsible for only a minority of Samsung's overall GPS problems), and the I9000M's SD death, suggests that their problems really are, almost exclusively, software based.

Actually, if you look at the hardware in both Galaxy & Nexus S devices, they're both quite good on paper, and very good in practice when the software issues don't cripple them. As others have said, HTC doesn't have a perfect track record either, and many of their issues are rooted in hardware, even if it's something as simple as putting a 1230 mAh battery in 4.3" unibody phone. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Anyways, I've recently come of the opinion that, as long as the US mobile market is technologically distinct from Europe & Asia, purchasing foreign-designed devices isn't a good approach for hedging your bets on bug issues. The problem with HTC & Samsung is that their phones are developed in Taiwan & Korea, but the US models (particularly CDMA) either can, or are only used in North America. So their engineers can't eat their own dogfood. Which means bugs must be discovered and addressed by carrier QA testing, and I don't believe they'll ever stay on top of that given the rate at which new devices are pumped onto the market.

Apple, HP (old Palm), and Google-branded devices are strictly better here as their engineers actually use the very devices they sell to us. So they're strictly more likely to have bugs discovered and fixed by folks who both are capable of, and have a personal interest in, fixing them.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

general chaos posted:

It will almost definitely be $300 on launch with a $100 mail in rebate, same as the regular EVO. Or did you mean after the rebate?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

heat posted:

It will almost definitely be $300 on launch with a $100 mail in rebate, same as the regular EVO. Or did you mean after the rebate?

Fingers crossed on it, but that does assume Sprint goes back to mail-in rebates. They extended it for another 3 weeks (till May 7th) now, so maybe they will extend it again. Sales talks, and if Sprint keeps getting a lot of new customers from it they will keep doing it.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I'll be going to Radio Shack or Best Buy if the Sprint store has a mail in rebate. But I'll be getting a Evo3d launch day regardless.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Duckman2008 posted:

Fingers crossed on it, but that does assume Sprint goes back to mail-in rebates. They extended it for another 3 weeks (till May 7th) now, so maybe they will extend it again. Sales talks, and if Sprint keeps getting a lot of new customers from it they will keep doing it.

I'm confused, what do you mean by "it"?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

heat posted:

I'm confused, what do you mean by "it"?

From what I understand Sprint has been doing instant rebates on some phones at the store instead of losing poo poo loads of sales to the radio shacks and best buys

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I'll keep an eye on Wal-Mart's pricing on the Evo 3D. They had a better price on the Optimus S, and I may be looking at a second line.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

OptimusMatrix posted:

From what I understand Sprint has been doing instant rebates on some phones at the store instead of losing poo poo loads of sales to the radio shacks and best buys

Oh I had no idea, I always order through telesales. Did they ever work out whether or not EPRP people can buy phones in the stores? I know when the EVO launched it was completely hit or miss.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
What if I wanted to get on the EPRP plan with a new 3D? Would I have to buy out of contract and then buy the plan seperately?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Samsung Hate

Most (if not all) of the reviews I've read about the Nexus S was that it was a properly functioning Galaxy S device (i.e. working GPS, few other hardware related issues, NO Touchwiz related issues)...so I'm honestly not overly concerned. 'Round here, we hate on Samsung. I'm sure I can find plenty of places that hate on Motorola or HTC if I bothered looking.

To each their own. All I'm advising people to do is determine what is most important to them before spending their money. So, if the most important feature to someone is an unlocked bootloader (this is more important to me than a 3D camera or dual-core processor), the Nexus S is a solid choice. If the most important feature to you is "NOT SAMSUNG, ARRR!!" then don't buy a Samsung device. I'm not trying to force anyone into buying anything. I simply answered someone else's question about whether or not I thought a dual-core phone was a must have with the next generation of phones. In my opinion, it isn't.

A good salesperson identifies the needs of the customer and then presents their options to them, while warning of the issues with each device.

jaku78 posted:

Well, theoretically it should as one core can take the load off the other so the phones CPU can clock it itself depending on the load making it cooler and draw less power. The problem with assuming this is more efficient is that it's clocked higher then the other CPUs like the nexus s making it burn more anyway, but most people that love these phones to death will clock it down anyway rooted so who really knows how efficient that is to phones out presently.

Actually, I don't believe this is true.

It's all about voltages, and the faster a CPU can finish its operation and sale its voltage back down to the minimum, the longer the battery will last. Not only are dual-core CPU's faster at finishing what it's doing, but they're also built on a smaller process...which makes them more power efficient (yes, I'm simplifying...but I don't think we need to get into the really technical details). Also, I'm pretty sure the next-gen Snapdragon can scale the voltages on each core independently, so the phone should be more power efficient.

jaku78 posted:

Now, since we are still talking about the 3D the problem with the 3D besides the obvious root is that dual core will not be supported until 2.4. It's shipping with 2.3. So that dual core won't do poo poo until both HTC and Google give the green flag. So in 2.3 it will be there for nothing more then eating cycles on background crap.

I hope someone else can find a source faster than me, but I'm reasonably certain that 2.3.3 supports both cores...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I understand your concern. However, everything I've seen about Samsung's phone issues, with the exception of the Vibrant's GPS antenna (which is responsible for only a minority of Samsung's overall GPS problems), and the I9000M's SD death, suggests that their problems really are, almost exclusively, software based.

Actually, if you look at the hardware in both Galaxy & Nexus S devices, they're both quite good on paper, and very good in practice when the software issues don't cripple them. As others have said, HTC doesn't have a perfect track record either, and many of their issues are rooted in hardware, even if it's something as simple as putting a 1230 mAh battery in 4.3" unibody phone. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Anyways, I've recently come of the opinion that, as long as the US mobile market is technologically distinct from Europe & Asia, purchasing foreign-designed devices isn't a good approach for hedging your bets on bug issues. The problem with HTC & Samsung is that their phones are developed in Taiwan & Korea, but the US models (particularly CDMA) either can, or are only used in North America. So their engineers can't eat their own dogfood. Which means bugs must be discovered and addressed by carrier QA testing, and I don't believe they'll ever stay on top of that given the rate at which new devices are pumped onto the market.

Apple, HP (old Palm), and Google-branded devices are strictly better here as their engineers actually use the very devices they sell to us. So they're strictly more likely to have bugs discovered and fixed by folks who both are capable of, and have a personal interest in, fixing them.

Well said, good sir.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OptimusMatrix posted:

This. I would lose a lot of sales and money because of mail in rebates. This is good for anyone on EPRP or SERO since it does apply to Sprint.com, so anyone ordering a phone with EPRP will get an instant rebate.

Ozmodiar posted:

To each their own. All I'm advising people to do is determine what is most important to them before spending their money. So, if the most important feature to someone is an unlocked bootloader (this is more important to me than a 3D camera or dual-core processor), the Nexus S is a solid choice. If the most important feature to you is "NOT SAMSUNG, ARRR!!" then don't buy a Samsung device. I'm not trying to force anyone into buying anything. I simply answered someone else's question about whether or not I thought a dual-core phone was a must have with the next generation of phones. In my opinion, it isn't.

This is fairly true and accurate. All I would input is that for the Evo 3D and Nexus S, it never completely hurts to wait a month to see if any crazy bugs surface. Heck, the Echo is apparently getting good reviews now (although I didn't like the one I tried out).

In other news, the Samsung Intercept has been recently discontinued. Thank God. If only they would replace the Transform with something that worked better.

Deadpan Science
Sep 6, 2005

by angerbeet
Have there been any updates on the price of the evo3d? I'm on a family plan and we want to stay off contract. Is it going to be $700?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

Deadpan Science posted:

Have there been any updates on the price of the evo3d? I'm on a family plan and we want to stay off contract. Is it going to be $700?

My guess is around $550

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Well this is a pleasant surprise:
http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SPH-D700/ED12.rdf
code:
<prf:OSVersion>
     Android 2.3, SBAQ6085BSNACAZ4390
</prf:OSVersion>
Looks like the epic might be getting official 2.3 at some point.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
When my contract is up in September, I would like to move my two lines (currently on the 1600 minute EPRP family plan) to my boss's plan (same EPRP plan) and retain my existing numbers. I assume this should be as simple as calling the SERO/EPRP number in the OP, and the two new lines should get the new activation discount for new phones, is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
You should be able to move the two lines to your boss's account right now. The upgrade eligibility date will not change. So in September when your contract is up you will be eligible.