Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Clanner sputtered, “My name is—”

“Dust,” Rossi interrupted. “Ashes. Nothing. Come and face me, dead man. We’ll see if you can handle a ‘Mech heavier than thirty-five tons.”

Gotta hand it to you, PTN. You turn a good phrase. But now I can't help but imagine Rossi is calling out this guy:

Physical Combat Phase:
L* Cyclops punches B4 Undertaker! Hits CT (0/26 armor, 0/21 structure remains) CT destroyed! 'Mech destroyed!

End Phase:
B4 Undertaker sits up suddenly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Edit: I forgot - Phelan Kell/Wolf/Ward was such a badass that eventually he got an actual Bloodname of his own. He's the father or patriarch or original donor or whateverthefuck of the Kell Bloodname. :psyduck:

Well that was only done by Ulric so that Clan Wolf-in-Exile would be able to have an actual lineage and continue to be a thorn in the sides of the now-crusader Wolves (led by Vlad Ward who is probably a worse Mary Sue than Phelan if such a thing is possible thanks to his entire "just as planned" way of doing things), rather than just die out after a generation or two.

EDIT:

WarLocke posted:

Hah, I'm a huge Robotech fan but I didn't make this connection. Damnit PTN that Wolfhound should have been a Phoenix Hawk LAM for maximum nerdiness. :argh:

I think a Stinger would've been more visually apropos, then again the Phoenix Hawk is armed better.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 13, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mary Annette posted:

Gotta hand it to you, PTN. You turn a good phrase. But now I can't help but imagine Rossi is calling out this guy:

Physical Combat Phase:
L* Cyclops punches B4 Undertaker! Hits CT (0/26 armor, 0/21 structure remains) CT destroyed! 'Mech destroyed!

End Phase:
B4 Undertaker sits up suddenly!

The Wolfhound starts shaking it's head "NO!" exaggeratedly as it gets back up.

(Caesar would have interrupted him with "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!" btw)

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Veyrall posted:

I noticed some factual errors. Don't thank me, it's just one of my many services.

Is there a Clan version of Seppuku?

Sort of. It's called piloting a Hunchback IIC into battle and dying gloriously, thus restoring honor in death. :)

landcollector fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 13, 2011

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

The Wolfhound starts shaking it's head "NO!" exaggeratedly as it gets back up.

(Caesar would have interrupted him with "IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS!" btw)

This begs fanart.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

anakha posted:

This begs fanart.

Good idea.

CONTEST! Draw us a Hulkamania-related Wolfhound. Best one gets to pick the next ad I write.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

His right leg was fine :colbert:

Also, neither punching 'Mech has fists.

There is only one true option.

Lead the Clanner to the smoke cloud. Offer a friendly prebattle hand shake.

Kick him in the shins. Break his leg, then kick his cockpit in. He can thank Mechwarrior Knox for showing the Inner Sphere the wisdom of mercy. :colbert:

The only thing more awesome than a fistfight in a firestorm?

Cheating in a fistfight in a firestorm.

(Seriously I think kicking's a little more effective. More damage spread over smaller target area, no no-fist penalty.)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Friendly handshake followed by a cheap shot?

That's some Ric Flair stuff brother. Better leave that to those no-goodniks doin the Clan thing brah, cause me and my Hulkamaniacs know the only way to get ahead in life is to say your prayers, take your vitamins, and inject anabolic steroids, dude.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CONTEST! Draw us a Hulkamania-related Wolfhound. Best one gets to pick the next ad I write.

Yeah, I suck at image editing.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Let's all keep in mind that by inventing Steiner Rules, just so a single commander could buy some time for a practically meaningless fight, you've ensured that an entire army of honor-obsessed invaders will never trust anyone with a Steiner fist on their mech, ever again.

Unless, of course, John Belushi-Steiner can manage to convince his entire empire to play along--sounds like the plot of a really cheesy 80s movie.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TildeATH posted:

Let's all keep in mind that by inventing Steiner Rules, just so a single commander could buy some time for a practically meaningless fight, you've ensured that an entire army of honor-obsessed invaders will never trust anyone with a Steiner fist on their mech, ever again.

Unless, of course, John Belushi-Steiner can manage to convince his entire empire to play along--sounds like the plot of a really cheesy 80s movie.

Well, when Caesar either escapes or gets Hegira (either way he gets to leave) he can disseminate this information throughout the LCAF because holy poo poo we have a way to get them not to use those super advanced guns.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Well, when Caesar either escapes or gets Hegira (either way he gets to leave) he can disseminate this information throughout the LCAF because holy poo poo we have a way to get them not to use those super advanced guns.

"Steiner House Rules" :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

the JJ posted:

Kick him in the shins. Break his leg, then kick his cockpit in. He can thank Mechwarrior Knox for showing the Inner Sphere the wisdom of mercy.

Rossi: "Sweep the leg."
Clover: *stares in shock*
Rossi: "Do you have a problem with that?"
Clover: "No, Sensei!"
Rossi: "No mercy!"

(Tank crew: "Get him a body bag! Yeah!")

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Rossi: "Sweep the leg."
Clover: *stares in shock*
Rossi: "Do you have a problem with that?"
Clover: "No, Sensei!"
Rossi: "No mercy!"

(Tank crew: "Get him a body bag! Yeah!")

Traitor. That should be Star Colonel Dusk and whoever is fighting the Zeus. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WarLocke posted:

Traitor. That should be Star Colonel Dusk and whoever is fighting the Zeus. :colbert:

Yeah, but no one's suggesting that the Clanners sweep the leg!

On the bright side, since Clanners don't usually do the physical combat thing, their TNs for the Daniel-san crane Kick would be atrociously high, so you should be safe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention guys:

Hexes that are on fire cause heat. It's like standing in infernos constantly. This could get interesting if the Zeus can get in some HS crits on the clanner.

TildeATH posted:

This is pretty much what happened in the canon timeline anyway, so don't worry about it.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

TildeATH posted:

This is why you lure him into the middle of the inferno. Then you walk out surreptitiously wiping your mech's foot on the ground and going 'yeah, he felt so ashamed of how badly I beat him he committed suicide. That's what you honor duel guys do, right?'

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

the JJ posted:

This is why you lure him into the middle of the inferno. Then you walk out surreptitiously wiping your mech's foot on the ground and going 'yeah, he felt so ashamed of how badly I beat him he committed suicide. That's what you honor duel guys do, right?'

Oh, no matter who loses, someone is dying because of that fire.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Good idea.

Did this in like 5 minutes.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, I suck at image editing.

That somehow just makes things so much better. Was there ever a fight where the Undertaker didn't sit up suddenly after a nasty hit? More importantly, can we make a mech that does the same thing?

Also, can it have fog machines built-in?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm thinking mechanical jump boosters built into the center torso would do exactly that. And for the fog machines, you have infantry follow it around armed with smoke grenades.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I'm thinking mechanical jump boosters built into the center torso would do exactly that. And for the fog machines, you have infantry follow it around armed with smoke grenades.

Hypervelocity ACs generate a cloud of smoke, and there's smoke ammunition for LRMs and SRMs I believe. So plenty of methods to put a fog generator on a battlemech.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MJ12 posted:

Hypervelocity ACs generate a cloud of smoke, and there's smoke ammunition for LRMs and SRMs I believe. So plenty of methods to put a fog generator on a battlemech.

Have SRM Carriers flank the mech, that should provide more than enough fog.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh, no matter who loses, someone is dying because of that fire.

Oh no, Mukai! :ohdear:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trast posted:

Oh no, Mukai! :ohdear:

Pilot ejects into a cloud of hot smoke and ash! Even if the parachute deploys, they're already baking to death. 'Mechs aren't that tall.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Pilot ejects into a cloud of hot smoke and ash! Even if the parachute deploys, they're already baking to death. 'Mechs aren't that tall.

gently caress that the Colonel isn't letting anyone take him as emergency rations.

I meant, bondsman.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Forest fires are really really hot, and even assault/heavy mechs aren't that much taller than large trees. This is I think more dangerous than people realize!

To add to the nerdy crossovers going on here:

Kirk: You fool, look around you! The planet's destroying itself!
Kruge: Yes, exhilarating, isn't it?
Kirk: If we don't help each other, we'll die here.
Kruge: Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Somewhat unrelated note: I got Mechcommander 2 working! Thanks for all the help, guys.

I never remembered how frustrating it is to have to deal with making sure that your lance of mechs are actually combat-worthy. :downs:

Adam500
Mar 27, 2010
So I thought I'd chime in and say this LP actually was what partly convinced me to get back into Battletech and buy the new Introductory box. Though I'm still trying to decide how to paint up the 24 mechs (+ a Loki and a Thor).

All the Mechs as Wrestlers comparisons are hilarious, btw. I approve. It made me wish there was a Wolfhound in the intro box so I could paint him up in Hulkamania colors.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, that forest fire means that pushes just got a lot more deadly.

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009

Artificer posted:

Somewhat unrelated note: I got Mechcommander 2 working! Thanks for all the help, guys.

I never remembered how frustrating it is to have to deal with making sure that your lance of mechs are actually combat-worthy. :downs:

Fire Ants and UrbanMechs. Everywhere.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PoptartsNinja posted:

But the seat will shoot them up very high, to avoid Stackpoling. Alongside the rising hot air, they should just have a few 2nd and 1st degree burns.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Of course if they were in a Hatchetman or a Wolfhound they wouldn't have to worry since the whole head assembly comes off in the event of an ejection.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Angry_Ed posted:

Of course if they were in a Hatchetman or a Wolfhound they wouldn't have to worry since the whole head assembly comes off in the event of an ejection.

Thereby recreating the Lostech of Shake 'N Bake

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Angry_Ed posted:

And thus they'd be in a flying oven.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Diogenes Cynicus posted:

Fire Ants and UrbanMechs. Everywhere.
What really got me about that was how long it took me to find out what a Fire Ant actually *IS*....

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Slaan posted:

But the seat will shoot them up very high, to avoid Stackpoling. Alongside the rising hot air, they should just have a few 2nd and 1st degree burns.

They then come back down in the fire, since the parachute only takes them so far and 'Mech ejector seats are designed to keep pilots from being dangling targets for more than a few seconds. They don't get launched very high.

Edit: Mukaikubo, your inbox is full.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 13, 2011

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

They then come back down in the fire, since the parachute only takes them so far and 'Mech ejector seats are designed to keep pilots from being dangling targets for more than a few seconds. They don't get launched very high.

Edit: Mukaikubo, your inbox is full.

It claims to be at 498 messages, though I just took out a few from 2008 so it should be at 493 now- either way it shouldn't be reading as full. :|

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Are there specific rules for fire harming infantry/ejected pilots, or are we adding them on because of fantastic drama? I know my experience with MegaMek seems to tell me that pilots eject to an adjacent hex, in line with the whole 'chutes don't carry you that long or far' fluff, and that fire seems to only add to Mech heat, as well as fill the board with smoke.

Either way, this fire is tactically interesting, and dramatic. It's very fun to watch this play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Are there specific rules for fire harming infantry/ejected pilots

Oooooh yes. Fire extremely bad for infantry (4d6 damage) and vehicles (take damage that may result in automatic criticals). Only 'Mechs and <Redacted> are fire resistant in the grim-dark world of 3032.

• Locked thread