Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
"hey man you sound good, wanna dj a fetish/bdsm night at my bar"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
^^I am at a loss as to what kind of music I would play at an event like that.

How much DJ cred would I lose if I got the Sennheiser HD 25SP ($130) over the HD 25-1 II($199)? Any sound quality difference/comparisons? All the DJs I know use either HDJ-1000s or the Technics headphones so I can't really try them. I think I will be looking into a lightweight headphone over the clunky Pioneers.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn

THAT drat DOG posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
There's an Allen & Heath Xone 62 for sale in my 'hood for 600 dollars, good deal, or average deal?

I've offered the dude 500 since I've seen them go for that after a little research online.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Cowboy. posted:

There's an Allen & Heath Xone 62 for sale in my 'hood for 600 dollars, good deal, or average deal?

I've offered the dude 500 since I've seen them go for that after a little research online.

If you can get it for 500 it's a good deal, depending ofcourse on the state it's in. If you can check it out and play with it before spending money that would be a very good thing. It's A&H so the buildquality is top notch, but their stuff is subject to wear and tear just like any other gear.

Remember though that the 62 is somewhat "the odd one out" in the A&H line-up because it falls in between the newer 42 and 92 models. It also lacks an FX-unit (has awesome filters to compensate), like any other Xone model so if you were looking forward to flanging the gently caress out of every track, you'll be disappointed.

If you can save some more money it might be worth looking around for a used Xone:92. I own one now, and it's the best mixer I've ever had (went through Stanton, Pioneer and Ecler).

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

I've posted this several times before but I love my Xone 62, the thing has been a tank for me. Pretty easy to service simple problems too. I've fixed the LEDs on a few of the CUE buttons as well as a short in the headphone jack

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

THAT drat DOG posted:

How much DJ cred would I lose if I got the Sennheiser HD 25SP ($130) over the HD 25-1 II($199)? Any sound quality difference/comparisons? All the DJs I know use either HDJ-1000s or the Technics headphones so I can't really try them. I think I will be looking into a lightweight headphone over the clunky Pioneers.

Thing is, if you were in Europe the Sennheiser's would be the standard, and you would be asking the question in reverse. I will say that the 25sp's don't get quite as loud as the regular 25's or the HDJ1000's (the Technics break constantly and sound like mud).

Take a look at the Pioneer HDJ500's. I got those to retire from regular gigging my regular Sennheiser HD25's, and they were a great investment. They sound better than the 25sp's (but not the 25's), rotate like the 25's and only cost $99 (and they come in three sexy colors!)

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I compared my mates HDJ-500 to my own HD-25-II, and I must admit they held up pretty good. The comfort is slightly less and there seems to be a small dip in the mid-frequencies compared to my own HD-25, but other than that I really couldn't find anything wrong with the HDJ-500.
But if I were to buy a backup mid-budget headphone, I would opt for the Technics RP-DJ1200. It's loud, it's durable, has good sound isolation and is nicely priced.

Blueballs
Jul 15, 2003

beeps-a-palooza posted:

"hey man you sound good, wanna dj a fetish/bdsm night at my bar"

I get %15 of the door too! The music I'm gonna go with is lords of acid, synthpop, new wave and benny benassi satisfaction type sounds. Basically alternating between dark music and sex charged dance sounds. Wish me luck.

For the guy who asked it's on the 30th.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Sjoewe posted:

I compared my mates HDJ-500 to my own HD-25-II, and I must admit they held up pretty good. The comfort is slightly less and there seems to be a small dip in the mid-frequencies compared to my own HD-25, but other than that I really couldn't find anything wrong with the HDJ-500.
But if I were to buy a backup mid-budget headphone, I would opt for the Technics RP-DJ1200. It's loud, it's durable, has good sound isolation and is nicely priced.

The RP-DJ1200 was a great pair of cans. Unlike the RP-DH1200, they didn't weigh a ton, look like head gear for the space shuttle crew, and didn't break if you looked at them wrong. I still pick the Pioneer though, if only because there are no locking parts to bust.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Professorbx posted:

It should street at about $499, so not a bank breaker. The gridding is sick. Plug in your drive and it starts sucking in data right away. Unlike some software, it stores your waveforms/adjustments in a different file, so your tags don't get obliterated. Wait for your songs to be gridded and you are good to go. I've been a Traktor user for years, and when I set up Traktor and SCS.4DJ side by side, the grids usually match, and in the cases that they don't the SCS.4 has been winning a good portion of the time. What I REALLY love about it is that the grid is not strictly beholden to BPM at all times (a little Ableton-like in that way), so if you have a bad drummer, it can compensate a bit-just hit sync again and it will re-lock.

Hey professorbx, does this thing support cue points at all? I don't see any buttons for it but that doesn't mean that they aren't on the screen or something.

Also that Pioneer DJM-T1 looks pretty tempting. I love Scratch Live but the TTM57SL is getting really long in the tooth. I updated to TSP2 before I went on vacation and haven't been able to use it for a gig yet. I'm going to try it out for reals on Saturday night and I'll post my thoughts. I like the newer simplified layout...I had almost everything turned off in TSP1 to get it somewhat usable for me. And, I think I like the audio output of the Audio8 better than my SL3. The Audio8 is a lot louder. I have to turn up my gains 3/4's up to get decent output of the SL3.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 14, 2011

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

TheWevel posted:

Hey professorbx, does this thing support cue points at all? I don't see any buttons for it but that doesn't mean that they aren't on the screen or something.

It has what I've been calling a "1.5 hot cue" system. Basically, the platter has a touch rewind feature so it can be used as a hot cue (think Pioneer CDJ-800). The ".5" comes into play with the reloop button. This can be used as a hot cue, though your loop in point doesn't remain in memory (the main cue point/touch rewind point does).

It was actually sort of a tough one to decide if we were going to include, and the main thing for us was to make it something that was not intimidating to anyone, from pros to first time DJ's.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey OP, you should throw this in your topic post:

http://www.mixshare.com/software.html

It's the exact same thing as Mixed in Key, except free. It works pretty well, and I've been using it to help sort through my library thanks to the tagging capabilities. It occasionally crashes on some songs, but hey, it costs nothing and gets the job done.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Hey thanks!

I went to a club recently and was amazed by the DJ. Not that he was like GOD or anything, but he obviously knew his poo poo. He was dropping tracks left and right with out missing a beat or anyone noticing that the song changed until the chorus or drop of the new song started.

I guess I'm looking to be the second one, but I'd love to be great at both.

Right, I said I'd be back... I've not had much time to play around with the CDJs due to my lady and her kid eating up a lot of my free time. Today though I had some free time and was just playing about and decided to hit record and ended up with this 22 minute little mix:

http://soundcloud.com/shotgun_facial/testraxx

I'm not happy with a few of the transitions but then this is something I'll always be improving at.

*edit: I guess I should say it's an electro house mix.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

My next gig is a friend's college graduation party in a few weeks, cross-genre mashup blah blah blah stuff. My music collection is pretty monstrous, but there is always a request I don't have. Typically, I just Amazon MP3 the tune on the spot (provided there's a wireless network), which works pretty well because Amazon kicks rear end.

However, I've been considering just running iTunes in the background to allow people to see my music collection on their phones and request songs that way if they don't want to ask me directly. Also they would be able to browse my music library during the event. (I use iTunes to organize my music and DJ with SSL and 1200s.)

I want to innovate a bit though. Is there an app that allows people to use any smart phone to read my iTunes library, add songs to a request queue, and even request songs that I don't have? I know i could throw together something on my website from the exported iTunes .xml file and a simple text input box, but I'd rather have something more slick.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

vas0line posted:

My next gig is a friend's college graduation party in a few weeks, cross-genre mashup blah blah blah stuff. My music collection is pretty monstrous, but there is always a request I don't have. Typically, I just Amazon MP3 the tune on the spot (provided there's a wireless network), which works pretty well because Amazon kicks rear end.

However, I've been considering just running iTunes in the background to allow people to see my music collection on their phones and request songs that way if they don't want to ask me directly. Also they would be able to browse my music library during the event. (I use iTunes to organize my music and DJ with SSL and 1200s.)

I want to innovate a bit though. Is there an app that allows people to use any smart phone to read my iTunes library, add songs to a request queue, and even request songs that I don't have? I know i could throw together something on my website from the exported iTunes .xml file and a simple text input box, but I'd rather have something more slick.

http://touchtunes.com/operators/products/digital-jukebox

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Yes, in my 11 years DJing I understand that I am nothing more than a human jukebox. Thanks for the commentary.

edit: And yet, for some reason people still pay $100+ per hour...

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 25, 2011

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
just nod your head a lot and say "okay,sure"

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

beeps-a-palooza posted:

just nod your head a lot and say "okay,sure"
That's obviously the easiest solution. I'm just wondering if what I described exists, because it would be neat. :)

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
It's funny to me that you go so far out of your way to fulfill requests, they're like the bane of my DJ life

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

vas0line posted:

Yes, in my 11 years DJing I understand that I am nothing more than a human jukebox. Thanks for the commentary.

Is there a point you're trying to make?

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

That Wicked Walrus posted:

It's funny to me that you go so far out of your way to fulfill requests, they're like the bane of my DJ life
Depends. In a perfect world, I'd spin house in a club all night. At bars and stuff like that, people just wanna hear Baby and Tik Tok. This dude tipped me :10bux: to play that goddamn Eminem song from 8 Mile... A few months ago. I'm a whore.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

vas0line posted:

I think Virtual DJ supports what you want. Gross. Scratch Live doesn't offer any integration more that what you get with iTunes. Also if changes are made to iTunes playlists, you have to restart SSL to see the changes. Or you could just alt-tab between the two.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

TheWevel posted:

I think Virtual DJ supports what you want. Gross. Scratch Live doesn't offer any integration more that what you get with iTunes. Also if changes are made to iTunes playlists, you have to restart SSL to see the changes. Or you could just alt-tab between the two.
Ya, I've found the not-updating thing to be a little annoying on occasion. I hope the next version allows refreshing the library without restarting SSL.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

This is how you push buttanz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8sORf4me0k

Edit: On a more serious note. Serato 2.0.0 + have been such unstable pieces of poo poo. I've gone from wanting to keep my SL3 just in case Serato decides to get their game together to considering to throwing it up on eBay. Serato has hit a sharp decline in the last year in terms of being completely unfocused on wether they want to update Itch (lovely) Bridge (lovely) or Serato (lovely).

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 28, 2011

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

AKP posted:

So I finally purchased The Traktor Kontrol S4 two days ago, its been working wonders.

Can you post a photo of a laptop under the 'laptop riser' it has built in?

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Edit: On a more serious note. Serato 2.0.0 + have been such unstable pieces of poo poo. I've gone from wanting to keep my SL3 just in case Serato decides to get their game together to considering to throwing it up on eBay. Serato has hit a sharp decline in the last year in terms of being completely unfocused on wether they want to update Itch (lovely) Bridge (lovely) or Serato (lovely).

I couldn't disagree with you more, I think the updates they've made in 2.x are fantastic and reaffirm that I made the right DVS choice.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

chrix posted:

I couldn't disagree with you more, I think the updates they've made in 2.x are fantastic and reaffirm that I made the right DVS choice.

Problem is, SSL 2.0+ is either a wonder system for you or it crashes constantly. I have had to do insane amounts of tech support for friends who have had issues where their waveforms simply stop working, audio drops, etc. As well, if you have an SL1 with any Core i3/i5/i7 system, you are pretty much hosed as soon as any serious power management kicks in.

It reminds me of when I was on Final Scratch 2/Final Scratch+Traktor 3. I was walking around feeling like I made the right choice, because my setup was bomb proof. Even as my laptop became a smoldering pile of plastic, my FS2 system worked FLAWLESSLY. Then I saw the issues that others had.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Professorbx posted:

Problem is, SSL 2.0+ is either a wonder system for you or it crashes constantly. I have had to do insane amounts of tech support for friends who have had issues where their waveforms simply stop working, audio drops, etc. As well, if you have an SL1 with any Core i3/i5/i7 system, you are pretty much hosed as soon as any serious power management kicks in.

Heh, makes sense given I use an SL1 with my dual-core celeron laptop :colbert:

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdFlFxJFnfY

i dont have a video of it but when I saw him live he used 2 maschines and another 16pad and played the maschines with his hands and the smaller unit with his chin

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Are there any issues with any of the latest Intel processors with the original SL1?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Twiin posted:

Can you post a photo of a laptop under the 'laptop riser' it has built in?

...or anyone who has the S4, really.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Twiin posted:

...or anyone who has the S4, really.

Am I missing a joke or are we talking about the case?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Firaga posted:

Am I missing a joke or are we talking about the case?

Ugh. On second look, I misread a line of a review, and I thought it had a riser so you could slide the laptop under it like you can with the Pioneer unit, but I guess it was talking about the flight case.

Because man that is so sweet.

Edit: Although I guess it wouldn't be that hard to add an inch of foam padding or something on the bottom to do the same thing.

Edit 2: Actually, if someone could take a photo of the bottom of the unit, that would be great.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 29, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Professorbx posted:

As well, if you have an SL1 with any Core i3/i5/i7 system, you are pretty much hosed as soon as any serious power management kicks in.

Can you go into this in more detail? I've tried looking around but information is split up between a bunch of stuff and considering all the different dates I'm not sure what information is currently accurate. I have a Macbook that I got sometime around this January, and it has an i5 in it. I was thinking of getting a TTM57 within the next week or two, but if it's going to give me a fuckton of problems, I might have to reconsider my choice.

Edit: Ok I did a bit more searching. As far as I understand, if you've got an i5 but an Apple computer you're fine, but if you're on Windows you're kinda hosed? So in regards to my situation I should be mostly ok, I'm hoping.

Edit Part 2: Also, while we're on Serato, another question. I'm getting the TTM57, but I'll probably have to wait a couple of more weeks before I can get a pair of turntables. Is there anyway to map other midi controllers to Scratch Live? Ideally I could use the jogwheels and play buttons on my Mixtrack as a temporary set up until I have my tables.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 29, 2011

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
pretty sure ssl is closed off in terms of midi

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

beeps-a-palooza posted:

pretty sure ssl is closed off in terms of midi

Uh, no you can map midi controllers to serato. The NI Traktor X1 even comes with a mapping xml file for SSL

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I finally decided to play around with the 4-deck mode using Traktor and the VCI-100SE and I've never had so much fun mixing. My main problem mixing on two decks was having a nice full sound decompose to nothing when one track was removed (proof I need to get better at EQing), but using three or four decks lets me handle this in really fun and creative ways. I need to practice quite a bit so I stop hitting play when I have the wrong deck selected, but that along with a new appreciation for grime is breathing some new life into my sets!

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

vanilla slimfast posted:

Uh, no you can map midi controllers to serato. The NI Traktor X1 even comes with a mapping xml file for SSL

Yeah, you can map a number of non-native controllers to be used in Serato, although the integration isn't the greatest. Check out this thread on the Serato boards for lots of info - http://serato.com/forum/discussion/334327

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

The Dark Wind posted:

Can you go into this in more detail? I've tried looking around but information is split up between a bunch of stuff and considering all the different dates I'm not sure what information is currently accurate. I have a Macbook that I got sometime around this January, and it has an i5 in it. I was thinking of getting a TTM57 within the next week or two, but if it's going to give me a fuckton of problems, I might have to reconsider my choice.

Edit: Ok I did a bit more searching. As far as I understand, if you've got an i5 but an Apple computer you're fine, but if you're on Windows you're kinda hosed? So in regards to my situation I should be mostly ok, I'm hoping.

Edit Part 2: Also, while we're on Serato, another question. I'm getting the TTM57, but I'll probably have to wait a couple of more weeks before I can get a pair of turntables. Is there anyway to map other midi controllers to Scratch Live? Ideally I could use the jogwheels and play buttons on my Mixtrack as a temporary set up until I have my tables.

I would actually not get the 57. The new one is right around the corner, and you can get the SL2 for $499 now. They work fine with OSX-based i3/5/7's (should have sad that, sorry!). At first I was all about having everything all in one, but now, honestly, I like the freedom of switching more. If something better for my needs comes out I don't want to be stuck, and if my mixer breaks I don't want to be screwed either.

If you do decide to get a 57, you can map MIDI controllers to SSL no problem. Our SCS3d's have a pretty solid mapping, and I THINK that the Denon single deck controllers do as well. Or you can always just rock internal mode and the hot cues.