Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

nerdly_dood posted:

At least in BFBC2 or COD I don't have to run around in circles to reorient myself after I try to do something as laughable as turning around to run back for cover when evil bitches are shooting at me. Just a mouse twitch and go.

It's pretty much fixed in RDR, so I'm assuming Clumsy drunk controls are a relic of GTA4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Really everything from GTA IV besides the actual driving and the friends system was refined in Red Dead Redemption.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Really everything from GTA IV besides the actual driving and the friends system was refined in Red Dead Redemption.

The addition of mid-mission checkpoints was a godsend. I much preferred the ambient challenges to the lovely "find 200 pigeons". Why does every GTA have that? Is it just to sell more game guides or to extend the gameplay time? It's never been fun.
Treasure hunting in RDR was a much better alternative for that kinda gameplay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The great thing about the ambient challenges is that it tells you where to find them. Though for the animals, it doesn't. But if you look at the map, there are drawings of animals on it. Turns out that animal spawns in the area of its drawing. I doubt they could do this with a GTA though.

The challenges only worked because its in a setting where you can go out to the middle of nowhere and hunt animals. If GTAV has challenges, they need to fit into the setting, not just "kill seven million pigeons." The worst part is that you HAVE to use a map guide to find all the pigeons. You can complete every challenge in RDR just by using the resources in the game.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The challenges only worked because its in a setting where you can go out to the middle of nowhere and hunt animals. If GTAV has challenges, they need to fit into the setting, not just "kill seven million pigeons." The worst part is that you HAVE to use a map guide to find all the pigeons. You can complete every challenge in RDR just by using the resources in the game.
There's a static in-game map of all the pigeons on the in-game internet. It's literally the worst design choice in the entire game series.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yep. But I wonder if they can carry over that same sense of lawlessness to modern times. Half the reason I think RDR worked was due to the setting because the random elements fell in line with the old western frontier feeling.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

Yep. But I wonder if they can carry over that same sense of lawlessness to modern times. Half the reason I think RDR worked was due to the setting because the random elements fell in line with the old western frontier feeling.

I don't see why not. Just call it 'State of Emergency' :v:

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
The thing that gets me about finding the pigeons in IV is that Bully nailed the execution of finding "hidden packages" perfectly. You had a dynamic IN-GAME map that updated based on which rubber bands you found. Why that didn't carry over to IV is beyond me.

RDR's approach with the treasure maps was a great idea too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think RDR is probably the only setting in which this game type actually makes sense. It's the exact same gameplay as GTAIV and you can do the same kind of horrible poo poo. But it all just makes sense and makes an actually serious game because it fits for an outlaw to act this way in the decline of the old west.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The best parts of RDR were the completely random elements.

Go into town and you run into a bunch of bandits running away from a successful robbery. Kill them!

Maybe on a late night stroll you'll encounter a lady about to be raped on the side of a building! Help her!

Bounty? gently caress yes, please. Even better if you bring em in alive. But hey, one time on the way to town with a good ol' bounty on the back of my horse all tied up, I was attacked by a PACK OF WOLVES in the wilderness. What the gently caress? So I get off, and notice my bounty has fell off my horse and travel all the way back and the wolves have eaten him. Whoops!

In mid mission, you'd encounter things like people being held hostage, gun pointed to their head and you'd have only a second to react and shoot the perp. There was rarely ever a sign or hint of struggle, but they'd happen, and you'd have only a few seconds to react and change the course of the rest of the mission. GTA4 never did that.

The stranger missions that were in GTAIV were a good idea, but they rarely ever had build up. The best example of this in RDR is the cannibal mission. You keep getting stranger missions in town about missing children and husbands out by the planes only to see bloody corpses. You have no clue what the hell is going on but the game keeps feeding you more and more stranger missions to go to that area with no luck until finally, about three stranger missions in, you enter a dude wrestling someone. You don't know what's going on, but you gotta believe in your heart that one of them is telling to the truth. Either one of them is a murderer or one of them is a cannibal. You can tie up the guy who's trying to tackle the cannibal and save the cannibal, or you can kill the cannibal.

It's split second, completely RANDOM decisions like that which make RDR interesting and easily the best sandbox game of this generation.

It took every single foundation GTAIV laid upon, enhanced it and improved it, and gave you more, more, more! The execution thing for example, as used in GTAIV rarely ever happens in that game. But in RDR it'll take you by surprise on a regular basis(example: the cannibal mission).

I think they could make it work in GTA5 pretty easily if they make GTA5 cartony as hell like GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas. If it's serious like 4 it may not fly well because it'd feel like it's trying too hard. Unlike RDR, where gameplay like this just fits.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 13, 2011

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Himuro posted:

The execution thing for example, as used in GTAIV rarely ever happens in that game.

Yeah, don't get me started on GTA IV's "moral choices". Do you kill this person or let them go? Doesn't loving matter at all, but here have a slightly different cutscene! You don't even know these people before you're pointing a gun at them, and killing them has absolutely no impact on you or repercussions on the story. And the execution animations are just that... animations. No bonus or penalty for doing an execution, no reputation lost or gained.

Some of the stranger missions in GTA IV are pretty affecting, though. Not quite as much as Red Dead Redemption, but close. Like the heroin-addicted woman you help, and that guy who thinks his wife is cheating on him. I hated that guy so much as his mission thread went on that at one point I just ran over him because he made me disgusted. But there again, I made that choice and the guy just called me on the cell again after a day passed... what I did didn't matter. In Red Dead Redemption it actually felt like most of your choices had consequences.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
There's two cities that i haven't seen mentioned in this thread that I think could work in a GTA game.

The first is Chicago. I think a mafia based story in 1970s Chicago would be amazing. Chicago is a big city with a good layout that could be reasonably copied and still be pretty fun. Plus it has a culture of its own that would shine through and make it interesting.

However, the best city I can think of for a GTA city to be based off of is New Orleans. Think of the settings in just one city. Historic garden district, French Quarter, bustling downtown area, industrial river-side areas, above-ground cemeteries, hurricane ravaged slums, middle-class suburbs, and of course the bayou. The people would be interesting too. Corrupt politicians, street gangs, voodoo witch doctors, nutty cajun chefs, crazy swamp-dwellers, musicians. The city just has a such a unique culture that I think would thrive in the GTA universe.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I would love a 1960s Chicago GTA just for the fact that we can get Tokaii's comments about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I doubt they could truly convey the smell of New Orleans through a video game.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KFCB posted:

I don't see why not. Just call it 'State of Emergency' :v:

I just wanted to say god drat your avatar. I had just gotten that out of my head.

And in regards to open world games, would anyone here recommend Mafia 2 if I had a free download code that came with a graphics card from last year? If so, how does it compare to GTA? Mostly story based I assume, is the actual gameplay (combat/driving) much fun?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

All this GTA talk gave me the itch to finish up some side missions I had yet to complete such as Drug Wars in TBoGT, which leads to some nice weapon bonuses at your safe-house.

Now I'm just grinding away on the achievement that awards you points for batting 69 bikers off their rides during races in TLAD.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It's probably because I'm from the UK but I much prefer my gta games set in the sunny US locations like the miami or the west coast.

It may be an odd distinction but I've noticed that I much prefer spending prolonged periods of time in open world games like far cry 2 and the first crysis vs stalker/fallout 3/crysis 2.

I didn't actually play RDR so I've missed out on that use of the their engine (which is incredible), I hope they do keep it some where on the west coast or maybe down south for the next gta.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
This is the second time I'm playing through San Andreas, and I'm stuck on the same mission, called Cesar Vialpando I think. It's about some street "car dancing" thing, it's just loving impossible. Apparently standard USB keyboards have some kind of delay that makes this kind of missions nearly impossible. I looked around on the net, and found no solution. I'm also using the steam version, so afaik, I can't just import saves.

Does anyone know a way of beating this?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I re installed san andreas to try the multiplayer servers but I can only partially get my 360 controller to work (the right stick doesn't move the camera) so I'm only partially able to play it as well.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Skilleddk posted:

This is the second time I'm playing through San Andreas, and I'm stuck on the same mission, called Cesar Vialpando I think. It's about some street "car dancing" thing, it's just loving impossible. Apparently standard USB keyboards have some kind of delay that makes this kind of missions nearly impossible. I looked around on the net, and found no solution. I'm also using the steam version, so afaik, I can't just import saves.

Try using a gamepad?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

Are you using the hydraulics controls? I'm fairly sure that the arrow keys or WASD don't work for that minigame. I don't remember having any problem with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Himuro posted:

To me that's no different from Niko showing in TLAD or Gay Tony or even Elizabeta. It's just an extension to the original new numbered game. I'm sure GTA5 will reset it all over all again.

CJ appears in a commercial in GTA IV, and apparently the other guys too but the only one I recognize is the silent dude who is in SA too.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

davebo posted:

I just wanted to say god drat your avatar. I had just gotten that out of my head.

And in regards to open world games, would anyone here recommend Mafia 2 if I had a free download code that came with a graphics card from last year? If so, how does it compare to GTA? Mostly story based I assume, is the actual gameplay (combat/driving) much fun?

I am not terribly far in Mafia 2 but if you are expecting an openworld/sand-box game similar to GTA, it is not. Your exploration of the city is limited to mission at hand, which is unfortunate given how awesomely detailed the city is. I still enjoy it, though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ShineDog posted:

It's pretty much fixed in RDR, so I'm assuming Clumsy drunk controls are a relic of GTA4.

What? No. The controls suck just as much. Try getting into a melee situation with a bunch of zombies in RDR and you'll see its still poo poo.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Himuro posted:

Try using a gamepad?

I don't have one

Evil Eagle posted:

Are you using the hydraulics controls? I'm fairly sure that the arrow keys or WASD don't work for that minigame. I don't remember having any problem with it.

Yeah I'm using the numpad. I collect like 300 points, while the opponent gets around 1000, so I'm using the correct controls.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

What? No. The controls suck just as much. Try getting into a melee situation with a bunch of zombies in RDR and you'll see its still poo poo.
Try walking or getting into a fistfight with anything and you'll see it's still poo poo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Skilleddk posted:

Yeah I'm using the numpad. I collect like 300 points, while the opponent gets around 1000, so I'm using the correct controls.

I found this, a tutorial on how to use a mission passing tool. If you can find your San Andreas folder inside your steam folder this might work for you. I haven't tried it myself, though.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Whalley posted:

Try walking or getting into a fistfight with anything and you'll see it's still poo poo.

It's not perfect, but it's enormously improved. I had a very, very occasional problem, as opposed to swerving around like a bus in GTA4.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Skilleddk posted:

Go into the graphics settings and make sure the frame limiter is turned on.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

AndyElusive posted:

Now I'm just grinding away on the achievement that awards you points for batting 69 bikers off their rides during races in TLAD.

Look up a video on YouTube, you can do this in a couple minutes. If you knock a guy over then ride up to him, you can get into a loop of knock him off, wait for him to get back on, knock him off before he drives off, repeat until race ends with you losing.

Rick posted:

CJ appears in a commercial in GTA IV, and apparently the other guys too but the only one I recognize is the silent dude who is in SA too.

Really? What for, I don't remember seeing CJ in GTA4.

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro

Skilleddk posted:

I had a similar issue on my old computer, I found that the game would register when you let off the button so I'd tap it right before it went into the circle.

Speaking of San Andreas, is anybody having trouble getting the mouse to work with it in Win7 x64? I've looked all over the internet and haven't found a solution that works for me. I've tried adjusting the core affinity (I have a quad core processor) and a bunch of other things, I was just wondering if there was a patch or something that addresses this issue.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, don't get me started on GTA IV's "moral choices". Do you kill this person or let them go? Doesn't loving matter at all, but here have a slightly different cutscene! You don't even know these people before you're pointing a gun at them, and killing them has absolutely no impact on you or repercussions on the story. And the execution animations are just that... animations. No bonus or penalty for doing an execution, no reputation lost or gained.
Not entirely true. Around the middle of the storyline, you get to choose whether to kill that playboy guy or his creepy brother Dwayne. If you kill that playboy guy, you get his condo as a new safehouse, Dwayne becomes your friend, and Niko is satisfied. If you get Dwayne to like you enough you can call him for backup. If you kill his creepy brother Dwayne, you get a lot of money, but the playboy calls you "cold" and leaves you.

Also, near the end of the storyline you get a chance to make a heroin deal with an evil Russian guy, Dimitri Rascalov, or to kill him and get revenge. If you make the deal, Dimitri betrays you, Roman later gets killed at his wedding, and you end up in a helicopter chasing after Rascalov's helicopter. If you get revenge, Pegorino, who called you to make the deal, gets pissed and tries to kill you at Roman's wedding but hits Kate instead. Later on you chase Pegorino to an old abandoned building, kill a bunch of thugs, and jump a motorbike off a ramp to get into a helicopter to chase Pegorino as he runs off in a boat.

The execution choices don't affect much except the dialogue in the car as you leave. With the other choices, going for the money tends to be the bad choice rather than following Niko's principles and going for revenge.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 13, 2011

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Look up a video on YouTube, you can do this in a couple minutes. If you knock a guy over then ride up to him, you can get into a loop of knock him off, wait for him to get back on, knock him off before he drives off, repeat until race ends with you losing.

Damnit, too late.

At least it was pretty fun doing it naturally through races. It wasn't all that hard to accomplish, just took a couple of days of playing to get.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, don't get me started on GTA IV's "moral choices". Do you kill this person or let them go? Doesn't loving matter at all, but here have a slightly different cutscene!

While I agree with you a little, you must realize that, to implement the kind of thing you're dreaming of, Rockstar would have to account for a number of options that grew exponentially with each character added into the story.

No game company on earth could handle the complexity that arises when you start dealing with situations like "ok, what should Kate say to Niko if Niko killed Dmitry but didn't kill what's-his-name." They'd have to record millions and millions of hours of dialogue to meet every circumstance.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Polo-Rican posted:

While I agree with you a little, you must realize that, to implement the kind of thing you're dreaming of, Rockstar would have to account for a number of options that grew exponentially with each character added into the story.

No game company on earth could handle the complexity that arises when you start dealing with situations like "ok, what should Kate say to Niko if Niko killed Dmitry but didn't kill what's-his-name." They'd have to record millions and millions of hours of dialogue to meet every circumstance.

Alpha Protocol did this, too bad the gameplay was poo poo.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Skilleddk posted:

I remember when I tried it if I hit the keys right as the arrow was in the center of the circle it wouldnt register poo poo, but I remember it working if I looked at the arrow beforehand, and only used the beat of the music as my cue.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I'm working on Liberty City Stories now1, but recently completed GTA III :cool::

1 Ever'time I see yuh, yuh runoff ye mout' yeah

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

davebo posted:

The main story of Mafia 2 is not a sandbox game at all. It tries to make you think it is with places to buy stuff and a couple side missions. Only one of the missions has an achievement attached to it. The first DLC with Jimmy is a bit better with the ability to choose what missions you want to do and such. Joes Adventures is full on sand box, with the ability to go back and play old missions.

The only thing I don't like about the DLCs is that they almost entirely get rid of cutscenes in favor of just saying what the mission is in a splash screen. Makes it seem like not much effort was put into them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Himuro posted:

I don't think you can and really shouldn't bring that sense of lawlessness to GTA. In fact, I think part of the appeal to RDR is how threatening the environment is to Marston. In GTA games, outside of missions, you're usually the most dangerous thing currently in the environment.

I still think it would be cool to have some random events. For example, it would be cool if bad neighborhoods spawned muggers that tried to rob the player, have brawls spawn near bars, the occasional person being attacked in an alley, some gang battles, and so on. You would have to make them much rarer than the random events in RDR, but I still think they could add some life to things.

Gang hideouts would be pretty easy to adapt. Instead of following the structure of just running across one and meeting some stranger that tells you what's going on, they could have their own mission boss that just gives you a list of people/gangs that he wants whacked. Then have the hideouts replenish after certain amounts of time, allowing the player to go on another spree.

I think the occasional campfire you could come across in RDR would be really fun to adapt to GTA. You just replace them with general conversation points like an old man on a stoop, a lady on a park bench, a drunk at a bar. Don't have them work the same way in RDR where the person waves you over to talk--that only makes sense in RDR because you assume the campers haven't seen another person for some time--but have it show up on the mini-map.

Then there's stranger missions that were already being improved in Gay Tony and could be perfected if they all felt fun, interactive, and possessing a sense of consequence.

EDIT: Alternatively, just set GTA V in 1970s New York/Liberty City and you would actually have to increase the sense of lawlessness from RDR.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm tired of northern cities. Anything in the northeast or even chicago would be the same Liberty City. I want a new setting that hasn't been done before. So pretty much, make a 1970s New Austin. I pretty much just want to play Machete: The Video Game.

• Locked thread