Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Comrades I bring to you glorious news of cheap 15mm t-34s from capitalist pig dog plastic soldier company.

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_19_44&products_id=132

Much cheaper than battlefront miniatures and made of plastic not resin, so they don't look like crap when you take them out of the box.

Now none of you have excuse to not crush fascists under tank treads on miniature battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They also do infantry in plastic. A Company-sized box is about half of what Battlefront charge for them, and they seem to map accross to FoW basings pretty well. I may someday splurge like crazy and increase my GrenadierKompanie to a full Batallion's worth, or more.

Also I saw the T-34s the same day I saw this article.

I have at least six spare German Panzer cupolas......

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
This is probably the last crop of houses I'll make before working on 15mm as well, at various stages of WIP:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So those of you who've dealt with Battlefront customer support, how long does it take for them to get back to you on anything?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

So those of you who've dealt with Battlefront customer support, how long does it take for them to get back to you on anything?

They got back to me within hours both times I've had to talk to them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/602681/

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
When I saw the cover, it looked kinda lame in a "hey you know what's popular these days? Zombies!" Sense; but actually reading what they had to say about it, it sounds pretty rad.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
English Civil war? This zombie thing has gone too far.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So I want to get into Flames of War but...drat there's a lot of stuff. Are there any good sites with guides to help newbies and all? The official site helps break down the different types of army and all but I really don't know the general 'styles' of the nations aside from what I've seen in watching games.

I'm really not even sure what I want to play, around me my friends are mostly Middle War (Mainly North Africa, which is awesome) and Early War, but there's some D-Day action too. I think a Motorized Infantry company is most my speed, and I suppose the English and Germans look neat, but so do the French and Russians.

I guess my main question is what are some good resources for newbies to look at to help pick an army out for the first time?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
First you should decide what style of army you primarily want (tanks, inf, mech inf, combined arms etc), then you should see if you can borrow your friends books and have a look at the army lists and see what catches your eye.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Start here, wander around the related stuff there, pick a unit that you like the history of and build it.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

http://warhammer-historical.com/acatalog/Kampfgruppe_Normandy.html

This is....unexpected?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

BeigeJacket posted:

This is....unexpected?

Wow.

And a big book at that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BeigeJacket posted:

This is....unexpected?

I wonder how 'all new' the system is. I kinda hope it will be derived from 40K because 40K is basically WW1/2 with lasers, robits and giant monsters.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Thats really unexpected because thats the first release since 2008 iirc from Warhammer Historical (since Forgeworld took them over). All the grognard chat is that Warhammer Historical is dead.

Personally Ive got not interest in it- Rules of Engagement is a great 28mm skirmish system, is written by ex GW staff and is pretty much a much improved version of WH40K already (thinly disguised but I called the author out on it when I bumped into him at a show and he admitted it! I wasnt being mean I was just interested in what I saw as the similarities).

Also this weekend i Salute 2011- thwe biggest Wargames show in Europe.
http://www.salute.co.uk/

I go every year and its fantastic, although like most UK shows, its very different from US shows. The emphasis is on shopping and pretty much every mini maker you can think of will be there

http://www.warlords.myzen.co.uk/SLW/salute2011/traders1.php

There are also lots of display games and participation games (drop in as opposed to book places like US cons) and many of them are beyond spectacular.

My musts for this show are getting in on the game of Hail Caesar that Rick Priestley is putting on, and trying Gripping Beasts new Dark Ages skirmish game Saga thats being previewed there. Also keen to see Clash of Empires which is the new game from Great Escape Games (makes of Rules of Engagement mentioned above) which is being touted as the replacement for Fields of Glory/Warhammer Ancient Batlles.

I plan on spending my money on a 6mm scale Britons army for Hail Caesar to take on my Romans, and make a start on a Northumbrian Saxon force for Saga/ Warhammer Ancients Shieldwall supplement.

In other news Force on Force from Ambsuh Alley Games arrived yesterday and it looks wonderful. Full review to come in the next couple of days.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Thats really unexpected because thats the first release since 2008 iirc from Warhammer Historical (since Forgeworld took them over). All the grognard chat is that Warhammer Historical is dead.

Personally Ive got not interest in it- Rules of Engagement is a great 28mm skirmish system, is written by ex GW staff and is pretty much a much improved version of WH40K already (thinly disguised but I called the author out on it when I bumped into him at a show and he admitted it! I wasnt being mean I was just interested in what I saw as the similarities).

Also this weekend i Salute 2011- thwe biggest Wargames show in Europe.
http://www.salute.co.uk/

I go every year and its fantastic, although like most UK shows, its very different from US shows. The emphasis is on shopping and pretty much every mini maker you can think of will be there

http://www.warlords.myzen.co.uk/SLW/salute2011/traders1.php

There are also lots of display games and participation games (drop in as opposed to book places like US cons) and many of them are beyond spectacular.

My musts for this show are getting in on the game of Hail Caesar that Rick Priestley is putting on, and trying Gripping Beasts new Dark Ages skirmish game Saga thats being previewed there. Also keen to see Clash of Empires which is the new game from Great Escape Games (makes of Rules of Engagement mentioned above) which is being touted as the replacement for Fields of Glory/Warhammer Ancient Batlles.

I plan on spending my money on a 6mm scale Britons army for Hail Caesar to take on my Romans, and make a start on a Northumbrian Saxon force for Saga/ Warhammer Ancients Shieldwall supplement.

In other news Force on Force from Ambsuh Alley Games arrived yesterday and it looks wonderful. Full review to come in the next couple of days.

I've only been to Salute once, two years ago. It was an interesting experience as I popped along after Judo practice and was mildy concussed from a nasty fall. I ended up with tons of really random stuff (like modern Lebanese milita and 17th century pirates) that I don't actually remember buying, though I do have some fuzzy recollections of gawping the gently caress out of the amazing display games and chatting with the one armed Perry brother.

So yeah I'd like to attend in a non brain damaged state at some point. Shame I'm broke at the moment.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Salute is something I wish I had remembered more than two weeks in advance, so I could book cheap flights and hop over for the day.

I would also rather like Force on Force, but that may have to wait too :smith:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

BeigeJacket posted:

This is....unexpected?

There was a rumor going around (I heard it on the D6G podcast a few months ago, but it was showing up elsewhere) that GW would be producing a 15mm WWII game based on Mordheim.

1:72 came out of nowhere, though. You can get 'figures' in that scale for next to nothing, and it's not too far outside of warhammer's 28mm comfort zone.

$78 for a rulebook (plus shipping to the states) is makes it unlikely that I'll ever even see a copy.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Even Forgeworld knows their pricing scams aren't competitive with the market for WW2 historicals.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Yeah £48 is insane. People were moaning about Black Powder and Hail Caesar being £25. The new Force on Force rulebook is beautiful too and that was only £17.

This new GW WW2 ruleset strikes me as someone at Forgeworlds vanity project. Its not veen advertised on Forgeworlds new release section. Theres no way this will get any support other than this release.

What bugs me and many others is that they have been promosing updated books etc for Warhammer Ancient Battles 2.0 for 2 years now, and so far not a thing since an errata release in December 2008.

No wonder so many WAB players are talking about switiching to Clash of Empires- that game isnt even out yet and they have released for free about a dozen army lists for a variety of eras.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

moths posted:

There was a rumor going around (I heard it on the D6G podcast a few months ago, but it was showing up elsewhere) that GW would be producing a 15mm WWII game based on Mordheim.

1:72 came out of nowhere, though. You can get 'figures' in that scale for next to nothing, and it's not too far outside of warhammer's 28mm comfort zone.

Just to add there was no way GW would go for 15mm in WW2. You think they would willingly give people a reason to buy more from Battlefront?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I didn't really give much credibility to it being 15mm, but the idea of a Mordheim-based character-driven WWII game was way too appealing to dismiss. An 'army' consisting of one or two squads with named officers NCOs who advance ala Necromunda? gently caress yes. Unfortunately, it looks like they're putting out Warhammer 0.19k, which isn't really doing anything that isn't already on the market.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

moths posted:

I didn't really give much credibility to it being 15mm, but the idea of a Mordheim-based character-driven WWII game was way too appealing to dismiss. An 'army' consisting of one or two squads with named officers NCOs who advance ala Necromunda? gently caress yes. Unfortunately, it looks like they're putting out Warhammer 0.19k, which isn't really doing anything that isn't already on the market.

I tried writing a system like this last year when Bolt Action released those plastic Germans, but :effort:. I still think it's a great idea, and I don't know why such a game doesn't exist. Some one get on that, games publishers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Such a bizzare move from GW. Unless this is a sign they might stop neglecting Historical stuff and start putting out new books regularly. (like that would happen)

Apparently it is similar to a system called Sandskrieg (according to Grognard on TMP)

http://www.battlegames.co.uk/oldschool/oldschool_rules.html

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think Ambush Alley could be adapted easily enough for a WWII skirmish game.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Colonial Air Force posted:

I think Ambush Alley could be adapted easily enough for a WWII skirmish game.

The original version of Force on Force had all the rules for WW2 in it. They are now releasing it as a supplement for the new version of the rules

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

Warhammer -0.001k actually. 40k measures time from Hiroshima. I may grab this someday just to see what it's like.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The one thing I am waiting for when it comes to Salute reports is that Perry Miniatures have announced that they will reveal six new plastics sets. With six new sets, there's no way it's all Napoleonics and ACW... right? Come oooon plastic ashigaru!

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

lilljonas posted:

The one thing I am waiting for when it comes to Salute reports is that Perry Miniatures have announced that they will reveal six new plastics sets. With six new sets, there's no way it's all Napoleonics and ACW... right? Come oooon plastic ashigaru!

Yeah will be interesting to see. Im thinking plastic ACW artillery or plastic WOTR knights (mounted maybe)

Jarofmoldymayo
Mar 5, 2008
I am going to try to proxy Legends of the Old West tonight!

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just about finished two armies for DBA:

Yep, that's two III/54 Early Samurai armies, all options. Minis from Essex. One for me, one for a friend. Took me far too long. They need camps though.

Lilljonas, I'm tempted to get some of your gorgeous houses to make a BUA for them. For camps, I'll probably make some temple gates. Only problem is that BUAs are terrible in the game, and nobody plays with them ever. Then again, a new version of the rules is in the works...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

Just about finished two armies for DBA:

Yep, that's two III/54 Early Samurai armies, all options. Minis from Essex. One for me, one for a friend. Took me far too long. They need camps though.

Lilljonas, I'm tempted to get some of your gorgeous houses to make a BUA for them. For camps, I'll probably make some temple gates. Only problem is that BUAs are terrible in the game, and nobody plays with them ever. Then again, a new version of the rules is in the works...

Nice armies you got there! 6mm houses are really good terrain for 15mm miniatures, especially when you are as restricted for room as you are on a DBA table. While the BUA rules are cumbersome, our group use to simply ignore those rules and use houses as difficult or impassible terrain, or for camps.

I'm finishing (as in, will be done within a month or so) a simple temple which could be cool for a camp if you are already planning on temple gates.

I'm tempted myself of picking up some pre-samurai for DBA now that Khurasan have released their mounted miniatures as well, and that era has some very special houses that look more like Celtic houses which could be fun to sculpt.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 16, 2011

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Just got back from an excellent Salute.

No photos as I forgot my camera- doh.

Lots of bargains this year- my mate and I had sort of decided to start small forces for the new Dark Ages skirmish game Saga thats due out net month and this was reinforced after having a nice chat with the designer and getting to play a small game of it- very fun.
Trouble is with all the deals that small force (about 24-40 figs a side) are now two fairly large forces that will work for Warhammer Ancients Shield Wall (which we have previously done in 15mm) and Hail Caesar! oops (oh was well as about 800 6mm scale Britons from Baccus).

Talking of Hail Caesar, I have it in my sweaty paws and rather lovely it is too. Same high quality production values as Black Powder and looks like it wil be just as fun and easy to get into. Cant wait to try it out. I also got to have a nice chat with Rick Priestley (boy can he talk- very nice guy and interesting) who also signed my copy (yeah sad I know).

Big news of the day was the revealing of the Perrys new plastic kits- big news is new multi part plastic American War of Independence troops and plastic mounted knights for War of the Roses. Both look very sexy. Also liked the new ACW Confederates- will be buying some of those for sure to expand my force.

Now to start putting together 200 or so plastic Anglo-Danes and getting high off poly cement! Might post more later after some shut eye, including a fuller review of Hail Caesar.

Jinjin Bemar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 16, 2011

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jinjin Bemar posted:

big news is new multi part plastic American War of Independence troops

Oh god, oh god...:fap:

Did you hear anything on when these are coming out?

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

BeigeJacket posted:

Oh god, oh god...:fap:

Did you hear anything on when these are coming out?

No but they had all the 3-ups on display.

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/622364/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Previous plastics have been around 6-8 months from first reveal to release, so that gives you a ballpark number.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I don't play AWI in 28mm, but I'd love to have a few anyway. I have a company of Americans in 28mm, so it'd be nice to make a display piece of both sides.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Heres the first unit put together of my Griping Beast Saxon Thegns.

The more observant will ntoice I havent stuck the shields on yet, which makes a shieldwall look a little odd! Going to paint those on the sprue and add later.

I am going to add a rear rank of Wargames Factory Unarmoured Ceorls to bulk them out and fit with the Hail Caesar combined units rule that fits the time period.

I really did get some bargians. I picked up 120 plastic saxons for £32 in the end.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The plastic the AWI and ACW figures are giving me all sorts of good feelings about cheap Wild West conversions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

The plastic the AWI and ACW figures are giving me all sorts of good feelings about cheap Wild West conversions.

You got to make a zouave outlaw gang.