Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

silversiren posted:

They have this thing called "My Publix, My Part" which is basically where if you get caught doing "your part", you get a voucher for a free lunch. Each time after that, you get something bigger, usually gift cards upwards of $100. I hate this loving thing because no one ever notices when I'm going above and beyond the call of duty, but the laziest cashiers and baggers, who NEVER DO THEIR JOB, are getting $25 Publix gift cards and vouchers out the ying-yang.
I know that you shouldn't do things with the expectations of getting something out of it, and that's not why I do it. I do it because I genuinely enjoy helping people. But sometimes it's nice to be called out when you're doing a great job. How come I am invisible.
On top of that, things have been extremely awkward lately because someone I thought was my friend keeps avoiding me, and we've been working together a lot lately. She intentionally avoids eye contact with me, which is kind of hilarious in a way, because if I look at her to say hi, she immediately freezes up and turns away. I'm not sure what I did but hell if I care anymore.
Hate this job.

I work at Publix too except in the Grocery Department. Seriously consider ROIng into Grocery. Front Service sucks REALLY HARD. It is incredibly hard to get noticed for doing 'your part'
Grocery is really funny you never have a manger breathing down your neck. This is the usaully grocery schedule

Show up around 1. Find out what your assigned to fill(Stock) Water, Dairy, Beer, Specials

• Fill
  • Block
  • Fill
  • Unload a truck
  • Break
  • Fill
  • Block
  • FINAL PASS
    Go home

It is very simple and I seriously love my job ever since I transferred to Grocery. Plus everyone in my store is really cool. Also there is the open door policy tell your manager that people aren't doing poo poo and ask him or her to stand out front more often. It will keep slackers in line and get you some attention. Publix is an awesome place to work you just have to make it awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lindramine
May 4, 2006

Nectar is delicious!

spite house posted:

If someone asks me to throw their trash away for them, I'll hold out the little can under my till so they can chuck it themselves, or direct them to the nearest bin. And yes, they frequently act really surprised that I won't take their snotty tissues/spitty coffee cup/whatever in my bare hands.

Handling other people's garbage is a great way to get a cold, but I also refuse to do it because I see this practice as a subtle dominance display. They don't even bother to look for a bin themselves; their default setting is "peon, dispose of my refuse". No. I abuse the hand sanitizer enough already. Throw it out your drat self.

I do the exact same thing. I also hate it for the same reason you do -- what in the hades makes these people think they're so important they can't find a trashcan like a grownup and throw their own trash out? (And there is indeed a trashcan right outside the front door of our store, about 10 feet from where I stand, as well as the ones in the restrooms that are about 15 feet in the other direction, right up front.) It's especially disgusting when people hold out some wadded up napkin or tissue to me like they seriously expect me to take that from their hand. Who knows what kind of gross junk is all over that thing? *shudder*

I work in a rich area and so I think a lot of the customers are used to obsequious, backside-kissing service, but for minimum wage? Forget it, dude. I'm not catching your exotic devil germs just so you can maintain your self-image as Emperor of the Universe.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I worked an 8 hour shift and did about 2.5 hours of work. The rest of the time I just hung out with my favorite cashier up front all day. There was literally nothing to do. The loving pharmacist was on the opposite side of the store shopping because it was so dead. That NEVER happens.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

elf pr0n posted:

In the past 6 weeks the mall I work at has had a shooting and a fire where everyone had to be evacuated.

Hell ya

Easton?

Actually, I hope you don't work at Easton so that I can be comforted knowing that this type of insanity happens elsewhere.

The Robins Taley fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 11, 2011

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
selling electronic accessories online makes me not like people.

Me :v:
Some dumbass :reject:

:v: I understand you are mad sir but I dont sell brand new DS lites for 7.99, that is why I said the DS lite is not included in 22pt font bold letters.
:reject: but the picture shows a ds lite and a case in it.
:v: The picture is for reference only , like it says in the description, its not included
:reject: Im gonna report you to the BBB and the Police!!!!!!!
:v: I dont think filing a complaint to the BBB which i am not a part of or your local police will help you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TShields posted:

Yeah, that sounds familiar... RadioShack?

Nope Sprint 3rd Party.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 11, 2011

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

selling electronic accessories online makes me not like people.

Me :v:
Some dumbass :reject:

:v: I understand you are mad sir but I dont sell brand new DS lites for 7.99, that is why I said the DS lite is not included in 22pt font bold letters.
:reject: but the picture shows a ds lite and a case in it.
:v: The picture is for reference only , like it says in the description, its not included
:reject: Im gonna report you to the BBB and the Police!!!!!!!
:v: I dont think filing a complaint to the BBB which i am not a part of or your local police will help you.

I'm sure you were in the secret basement of your store printing up flyers that you personally designed (as opposed to some lazy rear end in a top hat in the corporate office) while twirling your mustache menacingly, just thinking about all the poor saps you'll bring in with the incredibly misleading images in your sales papers. That's certainly how I spend my afternoons. :jerkbag:

God, I hate people..

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A few days ago a customer bitched to me and a few other coworkers, saying that there is like 20 people standing around and not one of us will help her.

The look on her face when we said we aren't working for the store and just remodeling was priceless.

Also I think I'm losing my kind personality when I sighed at a customer and said "I'm wearing a blue vest. The gently caress do the cashiers wear? A green shirt. Does my vest even SAY Kragens on it?" after being bitched at for the nth time. Thankfully the worst that can happen to me when a customer complains is a stern talking to by the store manager, which I can just ignore cause he isn't my boss.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I had a tornado touchdown 1 mile from my mall (Tennessee).

Cool Springs?

I work in Spring Hill and we had to have our restaurant's staff and the one guest who was in the building at the time huddle up in the bathroom last Monday because there was allegedly a tornado. Never a dull moment. Although, that was much better than this woman who came in yesterday, searched for things to complain about, and ended up calling both my manager and me "stupid cunts" as she walked out our door for the last time ever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

Cool Springs?

I work in Spring Hill and we had to have our restaurant's staff and the one guest who was in the building at the time huddle up in the bathroom last Monday because there was allegedly a tornado. Never a dull moment. Although, that was much better than this woman who came in yesterday, searched for things to complain about, and ended up calling both my manager and me "stupid cunts" as she walked out our door for the last time ever.

Yep, you can usually find me toiling away in my Sprint box in the Cool Springs Mall. I'm the one that doesn't have black hair.

Based off Spring Hill and Columbia customers I have started to assume that the further south of Nashville you go, the more redneck you get. Sound right to you?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Guys, my boss is a terrible, terrible hoarder. I'm talking A&E Hoarders level. Pieces of paper from the 70s level. I'm afraid she takes home our garbage at the end of the night, it's that bad.

I'm not exaggerating. Her home apparently has so much crap you have to walk sideways. At work things are covered under piles and piles of cardboard boxes and it makes it impossible to get for things. The floor hasn't been mopped in years. The counter tops are covered within last every available space. Sometimes the store floods (old, lovely building) and the goods that were damaged last year are still sitting around in boxes. We have goods that were bought over 3-4 years ago and have not been put out on the shelves or even opened yet.

Now, I know she's always been this way - I knew it when I got to working there. Finding poo poo is impossible. Changing things and throwing things away could get me fired. There's a ton of poo poo that just needs to be moved over and if we did that I fear I could seriously jeopardize my job. I like my job, I just hate the mess. I work there and feel like I'm drowning in JUNK, I can't imagine how her family feels.

Today it was just really overwhelming. Behind the counter are tons of boxes so that I have to walk sideways or hop over poo poo to move along it. We have boxes and boxes of goods that will never be sorted through - they'll just sit there till someone moves it somewhere else, where it will sit there and get buried by more of the same poo poo. I wanted to get to a box underneath about 2 years worth of boxes, maybe more, and I couldn't. I saw something back there and tried to find a flashlight, but couldn't find a flashlight under all this loving crap. I thought maybe a mouse died or something, so I didn't want to stick my hand back there. It turned out to be a button, but it just exhausted me.

I don't even know what to do. I'm tempted to anonymously report it, or ask someone else I know to. I know it's a psychiatric problem and that fining her and forcing her to clean up wont change poo poo - in fact, it might put me out of a job. But it's really, really difficult to work, and even worse is that I actually want to help the customers and make their time enjoyable but I can't. There is so much we could do to bring in business but my boss is apparently so mentally ill that nothing will convince her otherwise.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Don't district managers or fire inspectors come by your store? Because goddamn, that's not a safe work environment.

Today loving sucked. Truck delivery this morning, busted AC by afternoon.. it was in the 80's outside today, so it was sweltering in the store. Then, the guy who collects the confidential pharmacy documents came to the loading bay and rung the bell, and it got stuck. For 15 minutes. Just this shrill bell that sounds like an old timey fire alarm. We had to take off the whole button assembly, which was rusted together from years of facing the elements, and found out that the whole drat thing had shorted out or something. Finally got all the wires cut, but no more delivery bell I guess. What a day. :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

TShields posted:

Don't district managers or fire inspectors come by your store? Because goddamn, that's not a safe work environment.

Today loving sucked. Truck delivery this morning, busted AC by afternoon.. it was in the 80's outside today, so it was sweltering in the store. Then, the guy who collects the confidential pharmacy documents came to the loading bay and rung the bell, and it got stuck. For 15 minutes. Just this shrill bell that sounds like an old timey fire alarm. We had to take off the whole button assembly, which was rusted together from years of facing the elements, and found out that the whole drat thing had shorted out or something. Finally got all the wires cut, but no more delivery bell I guess. What a day. :(

Private, family owned business, so no district managers. I have NO loving CLUE why a fire inspector hasn't stepped in. He'd poo poo himself, the entire place is a fire hazard.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Shnooks posted:

Private, family owned business, so no district managers. I have NO loving CLUE why a fire inspector hasn't stepped in. He'd poo poo himself, the entire place is a fire hazard.

Sounds like the man to call with an anonymous tip, then!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I've dreamed of calling the fire marshal and I probably will after I quit. The rear fire exit gets blocked by stacks of pallets, and the fuse boxes are blocked by vendor carts.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

I've dreamed of calling the fire marshal and I probably will after I quit. The rear fire exit gets blocked by stacks of pallets, and the fuse boxes are blocked by vendor carts.
Why don't you call then now before you get trapped in and reduce your chances of a firey death?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
If it makes you folks feel better, we had a visit from the state version of OHSA yesterday, and the inspector has no idea how called them in. They usually have a responsibility to investigate, and if it's pissing you off (it is) and it creates an unsafe working environment (it does) you need to contact them.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Since I will probably delete my post later just in case (though honestly, I don't think my boss is THAT internet savvy), I'm just not sure what it would mean for my job. Like, would they shut us down till they fixed it? It's not going to be fixed, and if it does, it'll just get worse again later. My boss needs some serious psychiatric help.

I probably will call them eventually. I actually think we're due for an inspection soon, so I'll check that first and if we aren't I'll make a call.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Yep, you can usually find me toiling away in my Sprint box in the Cool Springs Mall. I'm the one that doesn't have black hair.

Based off Spring Hill and Columbia customers I have started to assume that the further south of Nashville you go, the more redneck you get. Sound right to you?

Generally speaking. Spring Hill is mostly transplants from Michigan who got laid off when the GM plant closed, though. Columbia's more blue collar, but it's not THAT redneck.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Watching "Extreme Couponing S1E1" right now. Doing shots for all of you.

Admiral Lasers
Dec 10, 2000

today a lady came up to my desk, where we buy old DVDs and stuff from people, with a chip on her shoulder. She was already upset because she had missed the window of our return policy (which is printed on the receipt she kept shoving at me), and she let me know, angrily, how awful that return policy was. She'd been told she would have to sell her DVD to us if she wanted any money back, and knew she'd have to get less than she paid us for it.

when I told her how much less (surprise, we pay about half of what we sell stuff for!) she went off on me, took her DVD back and left the store in a huff, muttering about how she was never coming back.

The kicker? She was wearing a Target uniform and name tag. Did she not realize that this was the part of HER job that sucked?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Admiral Lasers posted:

The kicker? She was wearing a Target uniform and name tag. Did she not realize that this was the part of HER job that sucked?

"My day sucked so now someone else's day is going to suck!"

I try to be extra nice when I'm in a retail setting AND in a bad mood because i don't want to be that guy

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
For the upcoming Frappucino season, we're re-releasing our coconut syrup (that we stopped using years ago) and getting in our reusable, double-walled plastic iced drink cups that we usually only sell at Christmas. Whenever we get in a shipment of seasonal syrups/toppings for drinks, we're permitted to sign out one bottle and one container of each syrup and topping, respectively, for our use only.

So, of course, this conversation happened last shift.

:j:: Hi there, what can I get going for you?
:byodame:: ARE YOU GETTING IN THE COCONUT STUFF.
:j:: We sure are! We're not releasing it til May 3rd, though, sorry about that.
:byodame:: WHAT ABOUT THE PLASTIC CUPS.
:j:: The same, sorry. They won't be out til May 3rd.
:byodame:: WELL WHY CAN'T I GET A COCONUT FRAPPUCINO? I SEE THE BOTTLE RIGHT THERE! *points to the syrup*
:j:: Yes, we have them in stock, but that bottle is specifically for partner use only. We're mainly using it to train new baristas on how to make the Mocha Coconut drinks.
:byodame:: BUT I WANT IT! YOU HAVE IT, WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT!
:j:: We- we're not permitted to make anything for customers with it, ma'am, not until May 3rd. I'm sorry. Company policy.
:byodame:: LET ME SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER RIGHT NOW, LITTLE GIRL!
:j:: (By this point, I am pissed.) Sure. *Calls over the shift lead*

So my shift lead tells the bitch the exact same goddamn thing. The lady then threatens to call corporate, to which my lead responds with "Have fun with that, ma'am! Have a good day!" She just huffed and stormed out, bitching about how she'll never, ever come back to Starbucks again. Oh no, what a motherfucking tragedy. The lead actually apologized for the way the lady was acting, and our manager said that, while "Have fun with that!" was probably not the best response, that abusing her baristas is a huge no-no, and we're to tell her if she comes back.

And, since we're advertising the coconut drinks coming back and our unusual release of the cups, I get to look forward to this poo poo every day until May 3rd! Along with the usual phone calls of "WHAT TIME DO YOU GUYS CLOSE?" (we close at 11pm. This will not change. It has not changed.), it'll also be "DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE OF THE ICED CUPS?"

It'll happen without fail, since we sell out of those motherfuckers within a half-hour of their in-store release. We open at 4:30am and they're gone by 5am, every time we get a shipment. :sigh:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Lolitas Alright! posted:

coconut syrup :sigh:

What happened to "Just say yes"?

:v:

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Lolitas Alright! posted:

For the upcoming Frappucino season, we're re-releasing our coconut syrup (that we stopped using years ago) and getting in our reusable, double-walled plastic iced drink cups that we usually only sell at Christmas. Whenever we get in a shipment of seasonal syrups/toppings for drinks, we're permitted to sign out one bottle and one container of each syrup and topping, respectively, for our use only.

So, of course, this conversation happened last shift.

:j:: Hi there, what can I get going for you?
:byodame:: ARE YOU GETTING IN THE COCONUT STUFF.
:j:: We sure are! We're not releasing it til May 3rd, though, sorry about that.
:byodame:: WHAT ABOUT THE PLASTIC CUPS.
:j:: The same, sorry. They won't be out til May 3rd.
:byodame:: WELL WHY CAN'T I GET A COCONUT FRAPPUCINO? I SEE THE BOTTLE RIGHT THERE! *points to the syrup*
:j:: Yes, we have them in stock, but that bottle is specifically for partner use only. We're mainly using it to train new baristas on how to make the Mocha Coconut drinks.
:byodame:: BUT I WANT IT! YOU HAVE IT, WHY CAN'T I HAVE IT!
:j:: We- we're not permitted to make anything for customers with it, ma'am, not until May 3rd. I'm sorry. Company policy.
:byodame:: LET ME SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER RIGHT NOW, LITTLE GIRL!
:j:: (By this point, I am pissed.) Sure. *Calls over the shift lead*

So my shift lead tells the bitch the exact same goddamn thing. The lady then threatens to call corporate, to which my lead responds with "Have fun with that, ma'am! Have a good day!" She just huffed and stormed out, bitching about how she'll never, ever come back to Starbucks again. Oh no, what a motherfucking tragedy. The lead actually apologized for the way the lady was acting, and our manager said that, while "Have fun with that!" was probably not the best response, that abusing her baristas is a huge no-no, and we're to tell her if she comes back.

And, since we're advertising the coconut drinks coming back and our unusual release of the cups, I get to look forward to this poo poo every day until May 3rd! Along with the usual phone calls of "WHAT TIME DO YOU GUYS CLOSE?" (we close at 11pm. This will not change. It has not changed.), it'll also be "DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE OF THE ICED CUPS?"

It'll happen without fail, since we sell out of those motherfuckers within a half-hour of their in-store release. We open at 4:30am and they're gone by 5am, every time we get a shipment. :sigh:
I totally agree with you that these people are assholes, but why not put the mix where they can't see it? Now if you have no room for that, never mind.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

jebrown84 posted:

I totally agree with you that these people are assholes, but why not put the mix where they can't see it? Now if you have no room for that, never mind.

More than likely, it got left out by mistake. However, I would cover the label on the bottle if its allowed. I miss Valencia (sp?) syrup so much. Iced passion tea has never been the same :(

\/ no loving kidding

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 13, 2011

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I just love how customers have the eagle eye for, say, the one bottle of contraband syrup among the other syrups, but are unable to find the GIANT SIGNS that tell them where the restroom is, or what the return policy is, or the store hours, or what item is actually on sale. :sigh:

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

spite house posted:

I just love how customers have the eagle eye for, say, the one bottle of contraband syrup among the other syrups, but are unable to find the GIANT SIGNS that tell them where the restroom is, or what the return policy is, or the store hours, or what item is actually on sale. :sigh:

Too bloody right. It's like they activate some kind of Terminator-style rear end in a top hat vision when they walk in. Beep beep beep TINY BOTTLE OF SOMETHING I CAN'T BUY BUT WANT ANYWAY beep beep beep...

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I.. I just got bitched out because I didn't get more done the last time I opened- which was, coincidentally, the day the motherfucking POWER was out for the first 4 motherfucking HOURS of my piddly 6 HOUR SHIFT!!!

I swear I almost lost my job during that conversation...

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Last week I got bitched out for showing up at my scheduled time instead of the time I was supposed to be there. Apparently in the five days prior, two of which I worked, no one had the time to tell me I was supposed to come in two and a half hours earlier than scheduled, and it's my fault for not assuming the schedule was incorrect and calling to confirm it! :v:

Oh, Bed Bath & Beyond is hiring. How interesting...

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

cobalt impurity posted:

Last week I got bitched out for showing up at my scheduled time instead of the time I was supposed to be there. Apparently in the five days prior, two of which I worked, no one had the time to tell me I was supposed to come in two and a half hours earlier than scheduled, and it's my fault for not assuming the schedule was incorrect and calling to confirm it! :v:

Oh, Bed Bath & Beyond is hiring. How interesting...

Had a manger change my schedule, which I wouldn't Have too much of a problem with, but they didn't let me know. I told her that was like me coming in late just because I wanted to. Didn't happen again amazingly enough.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

Well, the real annoying part was how the physical paper schedule in the breakroom and the schedule you can check online weren't changed. I was bitched at for following a schedule I had no reason to believe wasn't accurate.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

cobalt impurity posted:

I loving hate that. At Borders I used to have weekends off in the summer for volunteering at a National Park. A co-worker asked if I could cover her shift one Sunday which I did. Every week, whoever is the supervisor-in-charge on Thursday has to post everyones' schedule for the following week.

Anyway, I work the Sunday I was supposed to cover and every other one of my shifts including closing Thursday and opening Friday. Still no new schedule had been posted by the time I left Friday (this was sadly the norm there). I assumed I had off like I usually did (I know, bad idea). They didn't need any extra help at the park that weekend so I went down to the beach to my parents' condo. I'm laying in bed Sunday morning when my cell starts ringing.

Me: Hello?
Bitch Supervisor: Secret Machine, where the gently caress are you? You were supposed to open today!
Me: Uh, nope. I covered Tammy's shift from last week but I don't usually work Sundays.
Bitch Supervisor: Well you were loving scheduled to come in today!
Me: Sorry, the schedule hadn't been posted by the time I left on Friday and I'm an hour and a half away at the shore.
BS: That sounds pretty fishy to me, if you're at the shore then why is your phone on right now!? :wtc:
Me: Um...if someone has to reach me in case of an emergency?
BS: Fine, I'll check to see if the schedule had been posted. Bye!

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

TShields posted:

I.. I just got bitched out because I didn't get more done the last time I opened- which was, coincidentally, the day the motherfucking POWER was out for the first 4 motherfucking HOURS of my piddly 6 HOUR SHIFT!!!

I swear I almost lost my job during that conversation...
I used to work at a cafe where I was not exactly fired, but asked to quit for not getting enough done. Nothing ever loving worked in the place. The ovens wouldn't light, the POS wouldn't boot up, the espresso machine lost pressure for no reason, you loving name it, it was probably broken. My bosses deeply resented being called when problems (always) arose; their mantra was "Figure it out yourself!" I opened the place alone, and I tried to tell them that if I were qualified as an IT person and large appliance repairperson I'd probably be qualified for making more than six-fifty an hour at a lovely coffeeshop. This did not go over well.

That was a traumatic six months that resulted in my obsessively overachieving at every other job I have.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I shorted my cash drawer today on my register because some lady thought that giving me 12 cents along with her 10 bucks would make her change from the $5.88 total be $6. She handed me the 12 cents after I had already opened my drawer and typed in the $10, so it showed me the change she'd be getting back. I'm not good at even simple math when I'm under pressure, so I told her to wait a second while I wrote it out and did the math just to make sure the change was going to be right. But instead she kept screaming at me, "IT'S SIX DOLLARS I'M POSITIVE IT'S SIX DOLLARS SIX DOLLARS IT'S SIX DOLLARS SIX DOLLARS PLEASE YOU OWE ME SIX DOLLARS!!!!" so I practically threw six dollars at her just to get her to shut the gently caress up. So I ended up being $2.12 short, which shouldn't matter really, but I was fired from my last job because no one taught me how to count the till correctly so I was chronically short, so now I'm paranoid about being fired for being even a few cents short. :(

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
I am watching this extreme coupon program and they proudly announce that the ladies transaction took "an hour" to ring up as 18 separate transactions. How the cashier didn't smash her face in I don't know.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Warm evening. Door wide open. Me just wiping down the counter of salt, with a customer walking out of the door, which coincidentally has the opening times on it.

'Are you still open?'

About 5 times a night. Do people just not read?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

silversiren posted:

I shorted my cash drawer today on my register because some lady thought that giving me 12 cents along with her 10 bucks would make her change from the $5.88 total be $6. She handed me the 12 cents after I had already opened my drawer and typed in the $10, so it showed me the change she'd be getting back. I'm not good at even simple math when I'm under pressure, so I told her to wait a second while I wrote it out and did the math just to make sure the change was going to be right. But instead she kept screaming at me, "IT'S SIX DOLLARS I'M POSITIVE IT'S SIX DOLLARS SIX DOLLARS IT'S SIX DOLLARS SIX DOLLARS PLEASE YOU OWE ME SIX DOLLARS!!!!" so I practically threw six dollars at her just to get her to shut the gently caress up. So I ended up being $2.12 short, which shouldn't matter really, but I was fired from my last job because no one taught me how to count the till correctly so I was chronically short, so now I'm paranoid about being fired for being even a few cents short. :(

At my store, you're short if you're over $3 down. Problem is, it's a shared drawer used for 15 hours straight, so if one person screws up, EVERYONE gets a write-up. Hell, the guy who got scammed out of $100 the other day is still working for us, so I wouldn't stress it.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

At my store, if you even have a penny difference in your drawer (which only the closing supervisor is allowed to count) either higher or lower you get a "report card." They don't actually mean poo poo and I've been with the company since 2007 and take weeks to sign them. Never got in trouble, but it's still annoying that a penny discrepancy is enough to warrant a written reprimand which I have to acknowledge I saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

At my store, if you even have a penny difference in your drawer (which only the closing supervisor is allowed to count) either higher or lower you get a "report card." They don't actually mean poo poo and I've been with the company since 2007 and take weeks to sign them. Never got in trouble, but it's still annoying that a penny discrepancy is enough to warrant a written reprimand which I have to acknowledge I saw.

Wow. That's a bit extreme. That can be "oh poo poo, I dropped a dime while handing over change and didn't see where it rolled" or "gently caress brand new bills because they constantly want to stick together and I accidentally gave that guy an extra $1".. Nearly every register is up or down by around 15-50 cents a night. Even if you're short $2.99, they won't even blink. But you have to keep in mind that we're also taking in around $2,000-$6,000 a night in cash to take to the bank, plus a minimum of $100 in all 7 active drawers, and $800 split into a pair of change drawers at the front and pharmacy, plus around $2,500 minimum in our safe as "petty cash" to make change to feed the change drawers at any given time.. So pennies are pretty meaningless.