Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Rollersnake posted:

What is that mostly text-based PC game where you play a student at a Harry Potter-inspired magic academy? There was a thread about this game maybe two years ago, and I've long since forgotten the title.

You might be thinking of the Spellcasting 101 series of games.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/spellcasting-101-sorcerers-get-all-the-girls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Tobaccrow posted:

What was that extremely low-quality, weirdass, first-person bible game for PC? It had polygon graphics, low resolution textures, and I think you could kill people, but you weren't really supposed to. It may have been featured on the SA front page.

I hope it's The You Testament

Rollersnake posted:

What is that mostly text-based PC game where you play a student at a Harry Potter-inspired magic academy? There was a thread about this game maybe two years ago, and I've long since forgotten the title.

Might be Academagia

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Keru posted:

You might be thinking of the Spellcasting 101 series of games.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/spellcasting-101-sorcerers-get-all-the-girls
Nope. The game I'm thinking of is really obviously trying to be knock-off Harry Potter, and also only came out about a year or two ago. The other other details I can remember are being able to select your specific school of magic (there were more than Harry Potter's four), and I believe there were a lot of randomized events to make for a highly replayable game. There was a thread in Games about it when it came out. It's a downloadable game that was sold by the developer off their website, and at least at the time wasn't on Steam.

Psychorider posted:

Might be Academagia

This is it. Thanks!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Maybe you guys can help me out.
I have a memory of a game that I am not certain even exists. I might just have made it up, but I hope not.

It was a 3d first person game, probably released sometime around quake 2 but before 2000. I can't remember if it was only the demo version or full version I played, but you started out in a city, on foot, and there didn't seem to be any weapons. You could get in vehicles that had weapons though, I remember a car and some sort of VTOL/Chopper thing. Enemies consisted of mechs that killed you and maybe some other stuff.

I also remember it being the first game I played using WASD controls which was unusual for me at the time.

I've been trying to find any info on this game for a while now, I think I might have just made it up. My memories about it are all pretty fuzzy now, but if I could prove to myself that such a game/demo existed I might also prove to myself I'm not (as) crazy as I thought.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Hmm, Shogo:MAD?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I don't think that's it, the mechs looked more like something from battletech than Japanese mechs.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Psychorider posted:

I hope it's The You Testament

Yep, I think that's it. :mmmhmm:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
PSX football (soccer) game where you could attack all the players with flying kicks and stuff and not get punished for it, iirc you could attack the ref too?

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

PSX football (soccer) game where you could attack all the players with flying kicks and stuff and not get punished for it, iirc you could attack the ref too?

Wasn't it called "Red Card", or something similar?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Adidas Power Soccer or Super Sidekicks (can't remember if the latter was on PSX)

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

zombieman posted:

Wasn't it called "Red Card", or something similar?

that's the one, thanks a bunch, here's a bit of gameplay for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwcS9dn_wq0&feature=player_detailpage#t=84s

XenoXiaoyu
Mar 28, 2006

Give us your HANDS
There was a game my friend had for the PS2 a while back and I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the game was.

I think that it had "dragon" in the title somewhere or something similar to "dragon". The graphics were pretty bad, even for a PS2 game. I think it came out early in the PS2's lifecycle, if I'm not mistaken.

You were a girl(?) that ran around in a largish area and could go into taverns and talk to NPC's and whatnot. I remember the magic system was done on one of the analog sticks. You moved the stick in a specific pattern and she shot out magic. I think she also was equipped with a bow and that was your weapon.

I know I'm not giving you guys much info. I thought the name was "Drakengard", but after looking at Id's LP, I know that it isn't it. What the hell game am I thinking of?!

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

XenoXiaoyu posted:

There was a game my friend had for the PS2 a while back and I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the game was.
Maybe Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh wow am I a clueless putz.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I played a game a long time ago. It was an adventure game, and I remember a few things about it -

- Came out in the early-mid 90's, I think.
- I seem to recall it having both FMV (for cutscenes and the like) and 3D models, but might have just been the latter
- It took place in a cyberpunk / sci-fi universe.
- There are two scenes I distinctly remember. In the first, the Player Character encounters a woman who attempts to seduce him. You can choose to give in or resist her. If you kiss her, her boyfriend (the heavy, apparently) calls security on you and they're now hostile to you. If you resist, things continue as normal. So I think it was a branching game.
- Second scene, the PC comes across a barrel filled with a black oily substance. Dipping your hand in it once, it seems harmless and you shake it off. But if you touch it twice, it kills you somehow.
- I believe there was rudimentary cover-based shooting portions (you hided behind cover and used the mouse / keyboard to guide your aiming reticule at someone shooting at you).

Anybody recall this game? Thanks in advance!

bonermobile
Sep 20, 2010

There was this game I got off a shareware disk back in 1997 or so. It had a dark theme, demons and devils and all that. You started out in a tower and could click around looking at all the different things. Most of it was music memorabilia, posters of bands and guitars and stuff. When you left the tower you crossed a short bridge over some lava and entered a maze. As soon as you enter you fought a demon looking guy with your guitar. You kill him with the power of MUSIC.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was point and click except for the guitar part which you did with your keyboard. Each note was played by the corresponding key on your keyboard.

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

I've two games I am having trouble naming.

1) Top down shooting PC game where you drove around a city that was pretty much made up of square blocks around about 1999. All I can really remember is this one mission where somone plants a bomb on a friends car/ship and he gets blown up mid mission. Sorry I don't know anymore about it

2) Space shooter/FPS for the ps2 or pc. Not bounty hunter or whatever that game was called. It must have been around 2002 the graphics were pretty cutting edge at the time.

Thanks

al-azad
May 28, 2009

thepopstalinist posted:

I played a game a long time ago. It was an adventure game, and I remember a few things about it -

- I seem to recall it having both FMV (for cutscenes and the like) and 3D models, but might have just been the latter
- There are two scenes I distinctly remember. In the first, the Player Character encounters a woman who attempts to seduce him. You can choose to give in or resist her. If you kiss her, her boyfriend (the heavy, apparently) calls security on you and they're now hostile to you. If you resist, things continue as normal. So I think it was a branching game.
- Second scene, the PC comes across a barrel filled with a black oily substance. Dipping your hand in it once, it seems harmless and you shake it off. But if you touch it twice, it kills you somehow.
- I believe there was rudimentary cover-based shooting portions (you hided behind cover and used the mouse / keyboard to guide your aiming reticule at someone shooting at you).

Sounds like Blade Runner.

lucasw99 posted:

1) Top down shooting PC game where you drove around a city that was pretty much made up of square blocks around about 1999. All I can really remember is this one mission where somone plants a bomb on a friends car/ship and he gets blown up mid mission. Sorry I don't know anymore about it

2) Space shooter/FPS for the ps2 or pc. Not bounty hunter or whatever that game was called. It must have been around 2002 the graphics were pretty cutting edge at the time.

Thanks

I'm sure you ruled out Grand Theft Auto, yes? Anything more about the second game because '02 was the end of the space shooter golden age and saw a ton of releases around that time.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
This one was for n64. It involved driving around tanks, and you could pick between Light, Medium and Heavy. This game was my favorite game, it loving ruled. The light tank had machine guns... and that's about all I remember.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brace posted:

This one was for n64. It involved driving around tanks, and you could pick between Light, Medium and Heavy. This game was my favorite game, it loving ruled. The light tank had machine guns... and that's about all I remember.

BattleTanx or its sequel.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brace posted:

Battletanx?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7brl9mzmgPY

Edit: poo poo ON A SHINGLE

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

thepopstalinist posted:

The scene that branches depending on whether or not you kiss a woman makes me think that it could be Cyberia.

lucasw99 posted:

Traffic Department: 2192, perhaps?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

thepopstalinist posted:

Rise of the Dragon?
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/riseofthedragon/riseofthedragon.htm

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Traffic Department: 2192, perhaps?

I thought it wasn't because acouple of pages back someone had correctly named Traffic Department as another answer. However on further inspection (I just read a whole walkthrough) I can confirm it is indeed Traffic Department.

Great effort !

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

Sounds like Blade Runner.

I'm sure you ruled out Grand Theft Auto, yes? Anything more about the second game because '02 was the end of the space shooter golden age and saw a ton of releases around that time.

Sadly not. The FPS aspect of it I remember being pretty indepth and there was a level on some sort of big spaceship. I want to say it had something to do with boarding ships but I am not so sure on that point. I just remember the graphics just being amazing.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

parkan maybe?

probably not

XenoXiaoyu
Mar 28, 2006

Give us your HANDS

westborn posted:

Maybe Drakan: The Ancients' Gates

Yes! That's it. What a crappy game.

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

organburner posted:

parkan maybe?

probably not

Nope. The graphics were much better than that.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thepopstalinist posted:

It's DEFINATELY Cyberia.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Back on the... c64 I think

Some kind of weird motorcycle sidescrolling platformer, it had really really sinister music on the title screen, and then a really ridiculously cheerful song in game, which I could still hum if you wanted me to. It was always splitscreen, with you at the top and the CPU at the bottom.

Different obstacles required you to cross them in different ways, so to drive over a fence you would need to slow to a crawl, to drive over tyres you would need to go fast as gently caress so your wheel skipped over the holes.

I think you had to wheelie to cross fire, certainly some obstacles required wheelies. You would drive over all kinds of weird crap like phoneboxes and things that gouted fire, and you had control over the bikes orientation as you drove.

Actually, thinking about it, it was a LOT like Trials HD, only you had a jump button. There was a track editor and everything.

Also, the most distinctive thing about it, when you fell off you got a rising and falling high pitched sound that played according to how bad your fall was. So fall off the bike in the mud and you would get a sad little "ooh" sound, but plough into a wall at speed and you would get a ridiculous "oooAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOoooh" sound.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I think it was a 90s era DOS game. You had creatures you bred in your lab for some reason. There were little animations for them wandering around, eating, fighting. I remember the fighting bit scaring me, since the loser would get its head knocked off. They looked like they were made of clay and had colorful scales. I think they came in four or five colors. One was shaped a bit like an H.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ShineDog posted:

Some kind of weird motorcycle sidescrolling platformer
Possibly one of the Kikstart games. Maybe these videos will jog your memory?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

Some kind of weird motorcycle sidescrolling platformer, it had really really sinister music on the title screen, and then a really ridiculously cheerful song in game, which I could still hum if you wanted me to. It was always splitscreen, with you at the top and the CPU at the bottom.

Different obstacles required you to cross them in different ways, so to drive over a fence you would need to slow to a crawl, to drive over tyres you would need to go fast as gently caress so your wheel skipped over the holes.

I think you had to wheelie to cross fire, certainly some obstacles required wheelies. You would drive over all kinds of weird crap like phoneboxes and things that gouted fire, and you had control over the bikes orientation as you drove.

Actually, thinking about it, it was a LOT like Trials HD, only you had a jump button. There was a track editor and everything.

Also, the most distinctive thing about it, when you fell off you got a rising and falling high pitched sound that played according to how bad your fall was. So fall off the bike in the mud and you would get a sad little "ooh" sound, but plough into a wall at speed and you would get a ridiculous "oooAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOoooh" sound.
I don't know about the sinister music, fire, or editor, but the ooooEEEEEEoooooo is definitely Kikstart, so that's probably Kikstart 2(which I didn't play).

^^^ Just saw the video, and considering Kikstart 2 is called Kikstart 2: The Contruction Set, this is definitely it, and it looks awesome.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Trying to remember the name of a game, it was on PC

You were a guy named Dave (I think) who was either a reporter or a cop, who went into a haunted mansion place with a tv crew following you. There was a host who would make comments on what you were doing - it was basically a gameshow.

At some points, you could also turn into a female demon character instead of Dave (who shot guns, including at the tv crew)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I am also stuck on the name of a game:

It's about 10-15 years ago, you had to travel back in time to three separate ancient/dead civilizations, Atlantis/some tibetan monastery and another one, and you had to collect things in order to... either save the people or just to do it. Something about buddhas that represented various aspects of the cultural and you had to trade them objects.

You had a little guy in your spacesuit and he would talk to you or tease you in kind of a schmaltzy sidekick fashion.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Innerguard posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game, it was on PC

You were a guy named Dave (I think) who was either a reporter or a cop, who went into a haunted mansion place with a tv crew following you. There was a host who would make comments on what you were doing - it was basically a gameshow.

At some points, you could also turn into a female demon character instead of Dave (who shot guns, including at the tv crew)
I'm pretty sure this is The Devil Inside.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Stew Man Chew posted:

It's about 10-15 years ago, you had to travel back in time to three separate ancient/dead civilizations, Atlantis/some tibetan monastery and another one, and you had to collect things in order to... either save the people or just to do it. Something about buddhas that represented various aspects of the cultural and you had to trade them objects.

You had a little guy in your spacesuit and he would talk to you or tease you in kind of a schmaltzy sidekick fashion.

This is almost certainly one of the Journeyman Project games.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stew Man Chew posted:

It also somewhat fits the description of Millenia: Altered Destinies. Except there's 4 races. There's your underwater one, your snowy relgious nuts, warlike desert lizards and....er....some jungle insects..I forget. Your sidekick is a little head on your spaceship dashboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwTXs7B_PCo

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Going to describe 2 I've been trying to find for a while now, I hope y'all can help :ohdear:.

The first one is a game from early windows. It might have been a dos game I'm not sure. You played a little red devil dude. The game starts off in a prison (which are save rooms) and you have to walk around corridors where the game changes to a 1st person view. There were various puzzles to solve like finding bug spray for getting past a spider in a room or bribing a guard with gold to get him to open the door so you could continue. I remember there also being a bridge with a skeleton on it later on in the game that I could never bloody get past.

The second is a free/shareware game for windows some time in the late 90's I believe.
The levels were full of blocks of different colours that represented different fruits. You controlled a ball that constantly bounced up and down but you could only control the speed and the left and right direction. To clear the level you had to change the colour of your ball on special blocks to destroy same colour blocks.

After you beat the level you gained a star and the game took you to a zone full of the pipes from Mario games. You had to unlock a certain number of starts to progress to the next area and new levels in the zone.

Hope these aren't too vague :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The second is a free/shareware game for windows some time in the late 90's I believe.
The levels were full of blocks of different colours that represented different fruits. You controlled a ball that constantly bounced up and down but you could only control the speed and the left and right direction. To clear the level you had to change the colour of your ball on special blocks to destroy same colour blocks.

After you beat the level you gained a star and the game took you to a zone full of the pipes from Mario games. You had to unlock a certain number of starts to progress to the next area and new levels in the zone.

This sounds like some sort of fancy-dan remake of Crillion for the C64.