Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That axe has such a characteristic shape that if it was Thog's or any other familiar character's, Burlew wouldn't have needed to bother putting a helm on them either. It's a setup for a big reveal alright but I'm gonna guess it's more along the lines of "holy poo poo it's easily identifiable creature X with STR 38!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's a Dire Wolverine.

EDIT: Dragonblooded.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Why did Belkar want to help out the bounty hunters? I don't remember him fraternizing with them at all.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Nilbop posted:

Thog's axe was two-headed and symmetrical last time we saw him in Greyport or whatever, but let's face it, that helmet's there to conceal a big reveal and it'd be a perfect segue in to introduce Nale to spice up something that has gone pretty much "to plan" for all parties.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to see how everyone going to plan works out, but it just feels like there's gonna be a big tweest.

Vaarsuvius's mate, Soul Spliced with the three most dangerous assassins / melee fighters the nether planes have to offer.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

It's Miyo Miyazaki come back from the dead as a Blackguard.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I really, really don't understand why Belkar wanted to save the bounty hunters. I hope that gets explained.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I really, really don't understand why Belkar wanted to save the bounty hunters. I hope that gets explained.

Maybe he just wanted to do something nice for Roy? But he also would never want to let Roy know he'd do anything nice for anyone.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

He has been trying to be a better person, or at least pretend to be a better person convincingly enough to fool his way out of poo poo.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's a Dire Wolverine.

EDIT: Dragonblooded.

Awakened Dire Badger Frenzied Berserker

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I think they're just his kinda people. Watch out for their buds, be tough, be one step faster and smarter than the chumps trying to drag them to justice? If Belkar doesn't like them, he doesn't like anyone.

Which is option two, of course.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also he got to turn an Allosaurus loose on a bunch of authority figures. How could he ever pass up that chance?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

My Lovely Horse posted:

That axe has such a characteristic shape that if it was Thog's or any other familiar character's, Burlew wouldn't have needed to bother putting a helm on them either. It's a setup for a big reveal alright but I'm gonna guess it's more along the lines of "holy poo poo it's easily identifiable creature X with STR 38!"

But what's easily identifiable, is capable of ripping somebody's head off with its bare hands, AND is apparently a Medium biped? I can't think of any monster that fits that description, which argues that it has to be character- or plot-related.

The problem is, most of the plot has happened on the eastern continent, and that's where most of the characters are from. I don't think it's plot-related; Draketooth couldn't kill somebody with bare hands (and anyway an illusionist would make a lovely gladiator, either they'd be so weak as to die instantly or so strong as to easily escape), and I don't know anyone else who's been teased at who would know anything about the gate. Several characters' side stories (Haley, Elan, possibly V?) involve characters who could conceivably be in the west, but none of them would be scary, bare-handed gladiatoral combatants.

I don't know who it could be other than Thog. (Or, in an extremely implausible but badass reveal, some sort of neutral-aligned death knight made out of Right-eye.)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ponsonby Britt posted:

But what's easily identifiable, is capable of ripping somebody's head off with its bare hands, AND is apparently a Medium biped?
Technically a golem, but that's a lovely answer so I'll defer to "it has to be something plotty but who knows what"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm sticking with my "It's Draketooth" theory until I get proven wrong.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Can't it just be a dude in an iron maiden? That's a pretty scary way for the champion to show up.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Mystic Mongol posted:

Can't it just be a dude in an iron maiden? That's a pretty scary way for the champion to show up.

It's the half ogre with a spiked chain from chapter 2. He is finally making his triumphant return.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I'm sticking with my "It's Draketooth" theory until I get proven wrong.

It would work well with Elan's dad's 'I know about Draketooth' evasive answer, but I have a hard time imagining a rogue with a battle-axe.

I'm going to go with 'That dwarven barbarian from Draketooth's party that everyone thinks is dead', just for the spin it would put on the story.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?
Bulrew has given the champ too much buildup to NOT be a comedy reveal. 37 straight wins? Killed a stone giant with class levels? Ripped a guys head off?

My guess was going to be Roy's girlfriend, Celia. But they're pretty clearly calling the champ a "He". That half-elf member of the linear guild Pompey's still around, right?

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
We want Thog! We want Thog!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I simply cannot wait until it's revealed that the champion is just another minor character that has never been in the story before and empty quote everyone in this thread. It'll be like reading the crazy theories posted on the OotS message board.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Elves suck because of how weird pointy ears look on stickmen. Half-elves doubly so.

Also elves suck.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Kramer posted:

Bulrew has given the champ too much buildup to NOT be a comedy reveal. 37 straight wins? Killed a stone giant with class levels? Ripped a guys head off?

My guess was going to be Roy's girlfriend, Celia. But they're pretty clearly calling the champ a "He". That half-elf member of the linear guild Pompey's still around, right?
He left to go work for Leaky Windstaff, I think.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

HKR posted:

I simply cannot wait until it's revealed that the champion is just another minor character that has never been in the story before and empty quote everyone in this thread. It'll be like reading the crazy theories posted on the OotS message board.

Well in that case I'd like to point out that I don't *actually* believe the Champ to be Miko Miyazaki brought back from the dead as a Blackguard.

I mean, clearly it's the Flumph.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It's Drakentooth.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
It's the MitD.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I was hoping until now that the Champ would actually be a disguised Tarquinn but I don't think we're going to get that.

Entertainer13
Apr 25, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Faerun is not the setting of fourth edition, it's some entirely new world.

Sorry, got confused. FR's apparently the RPGA setting. Either way. D:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I thought Faerun was the setting, or what was all that I heard about "Returned Abeir"?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Faerun is a continent in the forgotten realms setting.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Nilbop posted:

I thought Faerun was the setting, or what was all that I heard about "Returned Abeir"?

Faerun and Returned Abeir are both Continents in the Forgotten Realms. Returned Abeir is a continent that was phased back into existence in the newest edition of the setting. Primordials live there or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The semi-official name for the 4e core setting is the "Points of Light" setting. It's completely separate from any previous setting and borrows liberally from all of them.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lurdiak posted:

The semi-official name for the 4e core setting is the "Points of Light" setting. It's completely separate from any previous setting and borrows liberally from all of them.
Points of light isn't really a setting more than a descriptor that can be applied to every single setting created. One of the books does mention what that term actually represents.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A quick litmus test:

Read what 4ed did to the planes. Does this make you angry?

No: gently caress YOU!

Yes: drat STRAIGHT!

What are the planes? : OK fine go back to having sex or whatever.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

A quick litmus test:

No: gently caress YOU!

Yes: drat STRAIGHT!

What are the planes? : OK fine go back to having sex or whatever.

I, too, miss the plane of salt.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
^^^EDIT: See exactly my point.

A quick litmus test:

Your angry that they made it less stupid sounding.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 13, 2011

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

MadScientistWorking posted:

^^^EDIT: See exactly my point.

Your angry that they made it less stupid sounding.

Baator is now a planet and the most all-consuming war in creation ended because "we moved over here."

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
FUUUUUCK I AM SO ENRAGED THAT THERE IS NO LONGER A PLANE OF DUST!!! THEY HAVE LITERALLY RAPED D&D TO DEATH!!!!

Even the 4e planes are stupid, but they are marginally less stupid than the motherfucking Great Wheel and its 16 loving afterlifes all tied to alignment.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Whatever untermensch you can type it and pretend I'll read it if that makes you feel better about being wrong. :c00l:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Red_Mage posted:

Even the 4e planes are stupid, but they are marginally less stupid than the motherfucking Great Wheel and its 16 loving afterlifes all tied to alignment.
Wait the planar system is tied to a system that this comic has openly mocked? That all ready entrenches it into the stupid category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You're Chaotic Good, therefore your ideal afterlife is chilling out in a forest for eternity. That makes perfect sense.