Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Q
Aug 10, 2007
Stupid Newbie?
I do wonder if GOG might be referring to Ultima Underworld, the font choice seems rather odd if they're teasing Grim Fandango, and the colours match those of the UW2 cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

teethgrinder posted:

I think they were so hung up about creating Britannia in 3D, perhaps as a last hurrah, that everything else suffered for it.

Such a tragic end to such a brilliant series... I won't bother getting hold of it then. Just put my fingers in my ears and pretend it's '92 and Ultima VII has just come out.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

Liquid Q posted:

I do wonder if GOG might be referring to Ultima Underworld, the font choice seems rather odd if they're teasing Grim Fandango, and the colours match those of the UW2 cover.

Underworld was a headache inducing game... It had all the good RPG elements sure, but man did it hurt to play it. If GoG has taken it on, fingers crossed for smooth frame-rates!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Honestly I think the problem with UUW is more that the interface is really terrible, performance is fine in dosbox. They pretty much had things figured out by System Shock but UUW is a pain to interact with.

Liquid Q posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but I've having trouble matching up the other clues.

If it's LucasArts, "dream of stars" is probably Star Wars, "ride with the outlaws" is Outlaws or possibly Full Throttle, I have no idea what "fear your past" is and "go to the underworld" is Grim Fandango.

If it's EA, "go to the underworld" is definitely UUW and "dream of stars" is probably Starflight or Wing Commander, but what are the other two?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
What about Ultima Martian Dreams :O

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If people want to play Grim Fandango in newer machines try this fix

http://www.grim-fandango.com/downloads.php#launcher

Worked for me with XP, can't vouch for Vista/Win7.

Make sure you download the second version of the launcher. It's the second link.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Red Mundus posted:

If people want to play Grim Fandango in newer machines try this fix

http://www.grim-fandango.com/downloads.php#launcher

Worked for me with XP, can't vouch for Vista/Win7.

Make sure you download the second version of the launcher. It's the second link.

I can vouch for it working on Vista

Liquid Q
Aug 10, 2007
Stupid Newbie?

ToxicFrog posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but I've having trouble matching up the other clues.

If it's LucasArts, "dream of stars" is probably Star Wars, "ride with the outlaws" is Outlaws or possibly Full Throttle, I have no idea what "fear your past" is and "go to the underworld" is Grim Fandango.

If it's EA, "go to the underworld" is definitely UUW and "dream of stars" is probably Starflight or Wing Commander, but what are the other two?

I guess "fear your past" could be Undying or McGee's Alice. I haven't got a clue about "ride with the outlaws". There's not really a lot of old west themed games, and I don't think EA published any.

Maybe it's Need for Speed: Most Wanted :v:

Edit: Not to mention you don't exactly ride with the outlaws in Outlaws, more like against them.

Liquid Q fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 13, 2011

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm hoping for EA over LA. I've played most of LA's games. It's the Ultima series I need to catch up on.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

Ride with the outlaws, Crusader.

But lets be honest here EA will never relent, the only reason I even considered the notion was due to them recently suppressing the distribution of the old Ultima games on websites. As it is I guess they were just being dicks.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

I'm hoping for EA over LA. I've played most of LA's games. It's the Ultima series I need to catch up on.

Either would be awesome but I agree: EA would be loving huge and quite a surprise while I consider LucasArts' involvement with GOG only a matter of time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What game made monsters fear you?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

The only Lucasarts games I can think of that fit that are Zombies ate my Neighbors, and Ghoul Patrol. But neither of them were ever on the pc.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. That's the Diablo font on their page.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

doctorfrog posted:

Has GoG acquired the rights to 90% of video games ever made??

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

UselessLurker posted:

They've already got a deal with Activision, maybe there's more than one publisher?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did anybody buy GGX2? Does the X360 controller work? I got a nice stick I'd like to use here.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

UselessLurker posted:

:eng101: "The Diablo font" is called Exocet, predates that game by several years, and has been used widely for other purposes as well, not the least of which was "gothic fantasy horror game/film/etc.", so I don't think this is very much to go on.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

:eng101: "The Diablo font" is called Exocet, predates that game by several years, and has been used widely for other purposes as well, not the least of which was "gothic fantasy horror game/film/etc.", so I don't think this is very much to go on.

Since you're being pedantic, name a single other computer game that people link to that font. There's a good reason people call it the Diablo font.

The movie Dogma doesn't count.

Liquid Q
Aug 10, 2007
Stupid Newbie?

Vertigus posted:

Since you're being pedantic, name a single other computer game that people link to that font. There's a good reason people call it the Diablo font.

Zork Nemesis. :v: Already on GOG though.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
My god, all this teasing is driving me crazy. That last one is really boggling my mind.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

UselessLurker posted:

Thinking about it, the old blizzard games would work too.

Stars - Starcraft
Outlaws - Rock N Roll Racing
Underworld - Diablo
Past - Blackthorne
Monster - Diablo 2 had those monsters that would run from you when you killed the shaman/chief

Of course, this logic could possibly be applied to any game company. But since Blizzard and Activision are now joint, it'd be easier to get the rights for Blizz games most likely (wild guess on my part really). And there's no way to buy those old games on Blizzards store except for Diablo 2 and Starcraft.

Still rather have Alpha Centauri.

Edit: EA answer to the hint, Dungeon Keeper.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 13, 2011

Liquid Q
Aug 10, 2007
Stupid Newbie?
At the rate they're changing the image, they're going to run out of Blizzard games pretty soon though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Vertigus posted:

None of this has any bearing on my point, which is that Exocet is as likely to be used to represent a generic dark fantasy sort of thing as it is to specifically be a Diablo reference.

In any case, I think Dungeon Keeper used that font or one quite similar to it as well (and the teaser question arguably makes more sense when applied to it than it does to Diablo), so there!

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
You rode with outlaws (or against them as one yourself) in Road Rash. I'm hoping it's EA anyway. Adventure games don't really interest me.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

doctorfrog posted:

Pac-Man?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Stars - Wing Commander
Outlaws - Road Rash
Underworld - Ultima Underworld and UW2
Past - ???
Fear - Ultima VI

Ultima VI literally opened with a clan of gargoyles attempting to execute the Avatar because they didn't want him loving their poo poo up any more.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

All this waiting is killing me, Lucas Arts or EA would hit my wallet hard, but would be a pleasure :3:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Guillermus posted:

All this waiting is killing me, Lucas Arts or EA would hit my wallet hard, but would be a pleasure :3:

Yep. While on the other hand, Blizzard wouldn't do a thing to my budget. Now that would be kinda anticlimactic but probably the more healthy option, heh.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

This thread actually makes me a little sad since now I recall the time Lucasarts would make fairly big budget games with premises like grand adventure set in the afterlife with artistic direction that heavily borrows from dia de los muertos. Or a Simcity-like strategy game about building heaven and hell. :sigh:

EDIT: Also I recall some people complaining about the lack of Star Wars license games back then, serves them right.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 13, 2011

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Much as I like the Blizzard games, it would seem a bit of a waste. Especially since most of their games register on Blizzard and let you download the game at any time afterwards.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Rirse posted:

Much as I like the Blizzard games, it would seem a bit of a waste. Especially since most of their games register on Blizzard and let you download the game at any time afterwards.

I would still like digital copies of the first Diablo and the first two Warcraft games. It's extremely odd that the battle.net edition of Warcraft II isn't on battle.net and can't be registered on battle.net. What the poo poo.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Would be funny if it was two or more publishers like EA / LA and the clues were deliberately hinting to games in both lineups.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

EDIT: Also I recall some people complaining about the lack of Star Wars license games back then, serves them right.
Back then they were rare and quality. Even Rebel Assault was pretty cool with its, for the time, outstanding FMV graphics. I enjoyed the arcadey gameplay paired with the more sim-like X-Wing.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Terrible joke speculation: Bungie Games

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

^^ Honestly I think the problem with UUW is more that the interface is really terrible, performance is fine in dosbox.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing it recently on dosbox! But yeah the interface was terrible, the whole thing was a bit confusing (another factor would be my age when I originally played it, I was only young).

If it comes out on GoG though hopefully we'll see a revival in the modding and a new interface!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

UselessLurker posted:

Terrible joke speculation: Bungie Games

If they can actually figure out who owns Myth 1/2, that would be great. There's STILL an active modding community for those games, and continuing engine upgrades/fan-patches.

Classics, no doubt about it. And even better these days, thanks to aformentioned enhancements. At this point, I'd just recommend that people torrent the games, due to them being lost in licensing hell.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 13, 2011

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Bluetooth human being posted:

Edit: EA answer to the hint, Dungeon Keeper.

:swoon:

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I'd just recommend that people [redacted]

I would be very very careful about saying that here, licensing hell or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

MMAgCh posted:

It isn't even Exocet on the graphic, it's Mason Serif. By the same designer, though.