Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I agree that any journal is better than any of those other items. This is primarily because it will be the only one that is on your resume during 2L OCI (assuming you do Moot Court in spring of 2L year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webman
Jun 4, 2008

NJ Deac posted:

To the guy even considering Seton Hall:

There are three law schools in New Jersey - the two Rutgers schools and Seton Hall. All three of them are roughly equally terrible. You will not get a job graduating from any of them. You are retarded to consider going to any of the three.

However, Seton Hall is roughly twice as expensive as either Rutgers school, meaning that for an equally worthless degree, you will spend twice as much money. That makes you twice as retarded as the average student considering Rutgers.

Seriously - Seton Hall is 22 grand a semester, Rutgers-Camden in-state tuition is 21 grand a YEAR. Rutgers is ranked #84, Seton Hall is #61. You will be equally unemployed with a degree from either, but in twice as much debt at Seton Hall. If you are not in-state, why are you even considering a NJ school? Newark is a shithole and there are terrible law schools in far better places to live that will graduate you with less debt and an equally terrible law degree.

Seton Hall law advertises on the PATH as "Your Path to a Legal Career." Their co-advertisers are a bunch of for profit schools for medical assisting, office managering and a bunch of other schemes to get federal financial aid.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Wyatt posted:

I did Law Review, worked for a state supreme court justice, then went on to do policy/legislative work. So the research and writing skills were certainly beneficial.

Could you go into more detail on your policy/legislative work? I'm interested in getting involved in this and want to pick your brain on what sort of stuff I can do while in school. FWIW, I'm a 2L @ Berkeley planning my 3L Fall semester. Already took Legislation and will be taking Admin in the fall.

As for Journal vs. Moot Court v. Mock Trial: Journal is almost mandatory here and I imagine other T14s have a similar situation. In the world of Boalt there are twelve journals, eleven of which have no requirement to make (requirements to stay is another matter). With 12 journals that means pretty much everyone does a semester of journal work at some point. The people who don't stood out like sore thumbs during OCI rather than the people who did journal stuff distinguishing themselves in a positive way. One recruiter told me what the deal was and said since everyone had a journal, they didn't really differentiate based on that - unless you didn't have one, in which case, it reflected poorly.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 13, 2011

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

Could you go into more detail on your policy/legislative work? I'm interested in getting involved in this and want to pick your brain on what sort of stuff I can do while in school. FWIW, I'm a 2L @ Berkeley planning my 3L Fall semester. Already took Legislation and will be taking Admin in the fall.

Not a law student, but a policy student at Cal (currently getting an MPP and a getting a PhD at RAND or Harvard in the fall) checking in. You should definitely look into some more quantitative classes at Goldman if you can stomach it -- an actual understanding of basic microeconomics and statistics is a boon in the policy world.

Slobjob Zizek fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 13, 2011

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
At UVA, doing a journal was definitely not mandatory and not everyone did a journal here - and it wasn't looked down upon from what I know of (but the economy has since changed). All our journals involved a tryout and you had to be selected to be on them - some were considered "easier" than others to get on, but there was no guarantee you would make a journal and if you did, it'd probably either be the Sports journal or the Technology journal. There were plenty of people who didn't get selected at all and plenty of people who got selected by more than one journal to fill their select spots and then dropped off later when they made law review (I know I did that). It was the common thought process that if you didn't get selected to be on a journal, you would do moot court and UVA let you put it down on your resumes for 2L fall interviewing even though you didn't actually "do" moot court until 2L spring. If you didn't end up doing it, you were supposed to notify your firm (same as if you dropped off your journal).

Law review was "best" and it was common knowledge that you should do that if you got it but all other journals were thought to be the equivalent of having moot court on your resume. People's employment at that time didn't lead me to believe that was anything other than correct but it's obviously more competitive now.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HooKars posted:

At UVA, doing a journal was definitely not mandatory and not everyone did a journal here - and it wasn't looked down upon from what I know of (but the economy has since changed). All our journals involved a tryout and you had to be selected to be on them - some were considered "easier" than others to get on, but there was no guarantee you would make a journal and if you did, it'd probably either be the Sports journal or the Technology journal. There were plenty of people who didn't get selected at all and plenty of people who got selected by more than one journal to fill their select spots and then dropped off later when they made law review (I know I did that). It was the common thought process that if you didn't get selected to be on a journal, you would do moot court and UVA let you put it down on your resumes for 2L fall interviewing even though you didn't actually "do" moot court until 2L spring. If you didn't end up doing it, you were supposed to notify your firm (same as if you dropped off your journal).

Law review was "best" and it was common knowledge that you should do that if you got it but all other journals were thought to be the equivalent of having moot court on your resume. People's employment at that time didn't lead me to believe that was anything other than correct but it's obviously more competitive now.

I don't know, this girl was pretty devastated.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

sigmachiev posted:

In the world of Boalt there are twelve journals
Jesus Christ. Michigan has six, and it's a bigger school.

That means that there are approximately 25 2Ls per journal at Berkeley, versus about 65 at Michigan

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Not a law student, but a policy student at Cal (currently getting an MPP and a getting a PhD at RAND or Harvard in the fall) checking in. You should definitely look into some more quantitative classes at Goldman if you can stomach it -- an actual understanding of basic microeconomics and statistics is a boon in the policy world.

What up good to know another goon grad student @ Cal! You are exactly who I need to talk to about some long term ideas of mine - can I get your e-mail and fire some questions at ya? If you don't want to post it, AIM me at EVFAIN (sadly I don't have PM here). BTW I'm actually in contact already w/ some Goldman profs about taking a class there in the fall.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 13, 2011

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus
sigmachiev, are you the only Boalt student around? I'm 99.9% sure I'm ending up there (no jobs, die alone) and I'd love to get some general advice. I don't really use AIM, but I can. I'd be extremely grateful for an email though.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SafetyDancer posted:

sigmachiev, are you the only Boalt student around? I'm 99.9% sure I'm ending up there (no jobs, die alone) and I'd love to get some general advice. I don't really use AIM, but I can. I'd be extremely grateful for an email though.

Ya absolutely man I'll give it to ya straight. Either post your e-mail here or come find me in the IRC (#lawgoons) or just send something to sigmachiev at yahoo.com

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 13, 2011

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Mofo, do you just troll the internet for the misery of law students?
If so, good plan, bro.

Columbia has about four hundred journals, including one that my friend is starting up because he was denied executive editor on his regular journal.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009
I was on a non-nichey secondary journal (law reform), and I have come to suspect that the employer who ultimately hired me after graduation did not read that line of my resume carefully enough to realize that it was not law review. I think the journal was titled that way precisely to increase the chances of that happening.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Jesus Christ, Columbia has 14 journals

alright, time for a T14 (student-run) journal count

Harvard: 17
Columbia: 14
Berkeley: 12
GULC: 11
Virginia: 10
Yale: 9
Stanford: 9
Duke: 9
NYU: 8
Michigan: 6
Northwestern: 6
Penn: 5
Cornell: 4
Chicago: 3

Linguica fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 13, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

intensive purposes posted:

I was on a non-nichey secondary journal (law reform), and I have come to suspect that the employer who ultimately hired me after graduation did not read that line of my resume carefully enough to realize that it was not law review. I think the journal was titled that way precisely to increase the chances of that happening.

I bet that works with Law Revue too.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
so i'm definitely not a dude worthy of imitation for a whole myriad of reasons but i didn't join a journal precisely because when i was interviewing at firms before my 1L summer everybody pretty much told me that while law review was a substantial boon the secondary journals were worthless wastes of time in terms of "prestige" or whatever. they told me that the only conceivable advantage to being on a journal was the writing experience you would gain so instead of getting on a journal i decided to get an externship with a governmental organization which had the double advantage of getting me out of class and allowing me to do actual legal writing

since i wouldn't want to be a part of any law review that would place me in the masthead i spent the thirty hours most people used to fill out journal applications on hiking in northern michigan instead. feels good man

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Linguica posted:

BC has five. We're T27 :unsmith:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If any of you law goons are lawyers in Centre County PA or in central PA and what to talk about law here send me a PM or whatever. It would be nice to meet some more lawyers out here.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

Linguica posted:

Chicago's are all write-on and have ~20 person caps. As a result, nobody cares if you don't make a journal, but it's also pretty hard to make a journal if you actually want to do it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Linguica posted:

You forgot Texas: 12.

:smugdog:

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Linguica posted:

Some of these journals must only publish annually and consist of like 5 people. That or every single person in the 2L class is staffing on one of them. I mean, 17 journals? That's so many.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Blakkout posted:

Some of these journals must only publish annually and consist of like 5 people. That or every single person in the 2L class is staffing on one of them. I mean, 17 journals? That's so many.

Harvard has a class of 550

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
I had always thought that we had too many journals at NYU, now I learn that other schools have twice as many as we do?

What was that journal that hasn't published an issue for years yet still has an active board with multiple editors in chief?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CaptainScraps posted:

You forgot Texas: 12.

:smugdog:
Oops, you're right, I should have said "T13"

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Linguica posted:

alright, time for a T13 (student-run) journal count

All of Duke's journals are write-on, and half are classified as non-exclusive (you can be on that journal and one of the exclusive journals). The result is gunners from the secondary journals that didn't get on law review think they can make up for it by being on two secondary journals (lol) and take up spots on the non-exclusives. Ultimately about 2/3rds of the class is on some journal.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
At GULC I think roughly 50% of 2Ls get into a journal.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
For those of you that are law students, what is the general outlook like among your peers?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Macunaima posted:

For those of you that are law students, what is the general outlook like among your peers?

definitely depends on the law school. yale and uc hastings likely have a slightly different general "outlook" amongst their students right now.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

definitely depends on the law school. yale and uc hastings likely have a slightly different general "outlook" amongst their students right now.

arent you a 0L

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Feces Starship posted:

arent you a 0L

yes, but you can get these outlooks just visiting the schools during ASW

but I'm not presuming to answer the guy, the question was vague and I was just stating that it is going to differ school to school, so the answers here will differ, unless he specifies the schools or markets

aside from that, everyone agrees no jobs don't go die alone

topheryan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 13, 2011

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

aside from that, everyone agrees no jobs don't go die alone

That's what I was wondering. I've been practicing three years, and can't imagine graduating into this.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Greatest case ever: Crazy dude sues Judge A for some crazy-rear end reason. When commenced, the lawsuit randomly goes to Judge B. Crazy dude immediately sues Judge B for identical reasons, causing the case to be conflicted to Judge C. Crazy dude immediately sues Judge C, causing the case to be conflicted to Judge D. Repeat until he's got 10 judges and it lands on my desk.

I see great potential in this lawsuit.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

BigHead posted:

Greatest case ever: Crazy dude sues Judge A for some crazy-rear end reason. When commenced, the lawsuit randomly goes to Judge B. Crazy dude immediately sues Judge B for identical reasons, causing the case to be conflicted to Judge C. Crazy dude immediately sues Judge C, causing the case to be conflicted to Judge D. Repeat until he's got 10 judges and it lands on my desk.

holy poo poo he's gonna bring the whole system down :2bong:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
He might just run out of money for filing fees eventually.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BigHead posted:

What is your desk, again? I can't remember what job you have.

How does something like this get resolved?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

entris posted:

BigHead sends him a roll of tin foil and a pattern for folding it into a hat.

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC

Macunaima posted:

That's what I was wondering. I've been practicing three years, and can't imagine graduating into this.

It was worse graduating spring of 2008 and watching family, peers and even the law review achievers losing jobs/offers etc over the course of the summer getting licensed in the Chicago area.
And then it kept getting worserer. :smith:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

entris posted:

What is your desk, again? I can't remember what job you have.

Clerk for a judge. By far the greatest job ever.

zzyzx posted:

BigHead sends him a roll of tin foil and a pattern for folding it into a hat.

Judges can sua sponte dismiss a suit for being nonsensical (this is what happens people sue Satan). Eventually, someone will do this. But a judge can't dismiss a suit after he gets added to the defendants, so whoever gets the file will have to dismiss it before he or she gets added. And this guy is pretty quick on the draw. It's like a game of schizophrenic cat and mouse.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

IANAL posted:

It was worse graduating spring of 2008 and watching family, peers and even the law review achievers losing jobs/offers etc over the course of the summer getting licensed in the Chicago area.
And then it kept getting worserer. :smith:

Ugh. A friend received the letter rescinding her offer upon returning home from the second day of the MN bar exam. She drank heavily for the rest of the week.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Macunaima posted:

Ugh. A friend received the letter rescinding her offer upon returning home from the second day of the MN bar exam. She drank heavily for the rest of the week.

I returned from a vacation in the sun to find a summons informing me that I had been sued for malpractice. There is only one reasonable response - no more vacations, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Macunaima posted:

My buddy had this happen right before the CA bar exam. He failed by 2 points. I know that was a factor.
Worst part is they called him between the bar and results offering him a position but he couldn't accept because he failed the bar because they non-offered him right before.