Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Kin Corn Karn posted:

I bought Yazuka 3 today. I've never played any game of the series. Any tips are appreciated.

Prioritize all the upgrades which increase and enhance your combo. Without them all tough enemies will relentlessly block all attacks.

If you want to do all the sidequests, check an FAQ because it's not worth it running around wasting time trying to figure out who and where you can start a quest from. Also some of them have some stupidly specific parameters you need to meet to complete and many won't be unlocked until you finish earlier quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I've just got Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. I completed assassins creed 2 ages ago, but is there anything I should know? I assume if I go online I'll be repeatedly murdered by people who have been playing the game since release, but aside from that?

I also go Darkstar one. I'm expecting a mediocre space shooter as it was pretty cheap, but anyone got any advice before I start?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

SiKboy posted:

I've just got Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. I completed assassins creed 2 ages ago, but is there anything I should know? I assume if I go online I'll be repeatedly murdered by people who have been playing the game since release, but aside from that?T

The game's largely the same as AC 2 so everything will probably be very familiar to you, but I can still give you a few tips:

- Renovate nearly every shop you come across. In addition to giving you money by the truckfull, you'll more likely have stores very near you when you need to go to one. This seems obvious (and it is), but I was very stingy with renovating stores when I played and wound up having to go halfway across the map to get to the nearest blacksmith or whatever a lot, so it's really convenient.

- Don't sell anything. The shops nearest to Ezio's home base have "Shop Quests", where if you give them 5 of this, 10 of that etc. they'll give you special items. The items you get don't typically sell for that much anyway so no harm no foul.

- Be sure to have the crossbow around the time you get the missions for the War Machines. Reason being is that guards get a bit stronger around that point and throwing knives will just halve their HP rather than one-shot them, and the crossbow fixes this problem nicely.

- Speaking of War Machines, do all of the missions for them, then talk to Leonardo when you're done ASAP. You won't regret it.

- When you get to sequence 8, be sure to talk to Leonardo (even if you have all of his upgrades) before you kick off the endgame for one of the funniest moments in the series.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 12, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
More Nier stuff:

One sidequest asks you for pink moonflower seeds, which need to be cultivated, and are a massive oval office to get. Basically you need to plant patterns of red and gold moonflowers, and blue and gold moonflowers to get indigo and peach moonflower seeds (wait til the flowers have wilted to harvest seeds), then pattern the peach and indigo seeds for something like a one in five chance to get pink seeds. Then curl into a ball and cry at the paltry reward you get for doing it don't do it in the first place

If you're going for plat you'll need pink seeds anyway don't go for plat

Gotta go now, my aspergers is calling

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

SiKboy posted:

I've just got Assassins Creed: Brotherhood. I completed assassins creed 2 ages ago, but is there anything I should know? I assume if I go online I'll be repeatedly murdered by people who have been playing the game since release, but aside from that?

Not really. If you play Wanted and you move slowly and carefully, you stand a chance at getting some decent kills. For whatever reason, Wanted is extremely balanced and even players at max-level will still get killed by people who just started playing. The other multiplayer options are a little less so.

Other than that, in singleplayer just be diligent about feathers, Borgia flags and treasure. Unless you're chasing a key NPC as part of a mission, always stop to grab them when you see them. Be sure to buy all the maps that show you where they are. I mean, you get nothing out of it, but if you're a completionist it'll be a pain in the rear end to backtrack to find them all.

lactomangulation
Jan 29, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Going to be starting Dragon Quest VI soon. My DQ experience includes VIII and the DS releases of IV and V. I assume VI is likely fairly straightforward but it's always a good idea to check first.

The job system in VI is most like VII where mastering 2 lower tier jobs will grant access to a higher tier job. You can't screw up too much; just be sure to at least have a healer.

There is a missable character, I can't really avoid spoilers for this:

(this happens after you get to the shrine where you can change jobs)
When you encounter Amos, do NOT tell him about how he changes into a monster.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Nate RFB posted:

Going to be starting Dragon Quest VI soon. My DQ experience includes VIII and the DS releases of IV and V. I assume VI is likely fairly straightforward but it's always a good idea to check first.

You'll go a long time before you're able to choose and change classes: around level 20 or so.

Don't grind too much xp in any one area. If a character's level exceeds a hidden cut off for that area the character will not gain job experience for battles in that area. You will have no way of knowing this except for noticing that someone is taking a really long time to advance in job levels. You will eventually reach a castle called Swanstone and once there you can stop worrying about going over an area's level cap.

Mastering jobs takes long enough that you will only master a couple per character without major grinding. For this reason you should choose your basic classes with an advanced class in mind. Train the prerequisites, then the advanced class—don't waste time training a basic class that you don't need for the advanced class.

Combat: DQVI combat is heavily skill-based. You will learn many, many skills that cost 0mp and are more powerful than a regular attack. Use them. The game will expect you to.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm thinking about starting Fable 2 after it's been sitting on my 360's hard drive since that free Fable 2 deal back in October. I've played the first couple hours of the PC version of the first game a few years ago, but I really couldn't get into it for some reason (it did seem pretty fun, but I think I was addicted to Oblivion at the time). What I pretty much want to know is if there's a chance of me enjoying the second game if I didn't care too much for the first game and if anyone has any good gameplay tips.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Fil5000 posted:

nwin posted:

Just bought Batman Arkham Asylum for the 360. Tips?

Combat will appear to be button mashing. While this is viable, it's actually somewhat closer to a rhythm action game. Once you get into the swing of it, you'll find you're not just hammering the attack buttons, but smoothly and steadily tapping out sequences that leave everyone around you flat on their backs with no damage done to you.

The game is pretty easy as well. It might be worth playing a little while, then restarting on hard, as I think all it really does is remove the enemies combat indicators, so starting off on hard may be a steep learning curve. Once you have the combat down though, no trouble.

Other then that though, just enjoy it, there isn't really much to worry about as you can go back to wherever you need to. Don't worry to much about the collectables, if you can't see how to get to something, chances are you haven't unlocked the equipment you need yet.

Only one missable achievement/trophy from memory: towards the end of the game you'll walk a corridor lined with the joker's henchmen. They wont attack you, but if you KO them all, you get the unlock.

Kaster Troy
Feb 8, 2010
I just picked up Borderlands: Game of the Year. It came with all four of the add ons and I'm just wondering what would be a good level to play them at.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

sexual rickshaw posted:

I'd say start with Gothic 1 first and if you like it enough to finish it, move on to 2, then 3, but skip Forsaken Gods and ArcaniA unless you're craving more Gothic after 3.

To add to this, if you're craving more Gothic after 3, play Risen, since it's the same team and basically feels like Gothic: Island Edition.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Kaster Troy posted:

I just picked up Borderlands: Game of the Year. It came with all four of the add ons and I'm just wondering what would be a good level to play them at.

If I can piggyback on this question, I have Borderlands, but the non-Game of the Year addition, and I'm wondering what DLC is worth buying if I have little interest in anything outside of single player and maybe co-op play (it looks like a lot of the DLC is based around multiplayer).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Been playing Two Worlds for a few days now and have some new tips (thanks TW2 thread for some of these)-

-If you're a mage get Concentration early on. Cast it each time before shooting your magic fireballs or whatever for lots more damage.

-Make sure you're not holding down the forward button to move on horseback- just press it for each speed you want to get to.

-When you start the game most of your skills will be blacked out (at Level 0 as opposed to Level 1). You need to find trainers to "unlock" these skills at which point you can start putting points into them (list of trainer locations here). A lot of trainers can teach you more than one skill so make sure you go through all their dialogue options.

-Related to the above, of note is the trainer in Rovint who can teach you some of the game's best skills in Alchemy (the most common way to break the game), Necromancy (powerful or hilarious depending on how you use it), and Stone Skin (excellent passive defense bonus). Head there as soon as you have 1000 Gold, it's not far from where you start.

-Maliel Shrines (respawn points) will auto-cast Heal on you when you get close. If you're in the middle of nowhere and hurting, look out for one. Another trick is to lure enemies near one and fight them while the shrine continuously heals you.

-Turn Grass Draw Distance all the way down in the Options menu, it makes hunting for alchemical ingredients in the wild a lot easier.

-Enemies will sometimes fight each other (particularly bandits vs. hostile wildlife)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 14, 2011

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Kaster Troy posted:

Whenever you finish the main story I'd jump right into the DLC. If you want to play them in the order they were released it would go: Zombie Island, Mad Moxxi, General Knoxx, Claptrap Revolution. You'll probably be somewhere in the 30s after your first playthrough and in the 40s by the time you finish Claptrap Revolution making you incredibly over leveled in the beginning if you decide to go through playthrough 2.

Note: I'd say skip Mad Moxxi until you hit level 69 (the game's level cap) and cheese it by bringing in a second player at level 1. This will scale enemies to the level 1's player making the expansion a billion times easier and less grindy. Trust me, the whole thing is made up of arena fights that are incredibly grindy.

Palleon posted:

If I can piggyback on this question, I have Borderlands, but the non-Game of the Year addition, and I'm wondering what DLC is worth buying if I have little interest in anything outside of single player and maybe co-op play (it looks like a lot of the DLC is based around multiplayer).

Have you opened it? If not return it and pick up GOTY edition. They're all worth playing through (even Mad Moxxi is worth having the bank if you plan to farm a lot of end game). Zombie Island is a lot of fun imo, while Knoxx is the most substantial DLC, and Claptrap Revolution is a direct continuation of the story and is pretty drat funny. None of the DLC is any more multiplayer oriented than the main game (except maybe the above mentioned Moxxi strategy in which case all you need is a second controller and an optional boss in Knoxx).

If you're not too keen on dropping $40 for the DLC I would just go with Knoxx.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 13, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Beyond Good And Evil I've neglected to take a photo of the first enemy you fight in the hovercraft - that serpent thing. Have I ruined my OCD need to get a photograph of every creature? :ohdear:

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

In Beyond Good And Evil I've neglected to take a photo of the first enemy you fight in the hovercraft - that serpent thing. Have I ruined my OCD need to get a photograph of every creature? :ohdear:

No, there's one in the cave left of the black isle before the red laser fence. You won't have to fight it again.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm finally giving Mass Effect another try after upgrading to Win7, and many of the graphical/audio glitches are no longer plaguing me so I'm actually sort of enjoying it this time. I've got two questions.

1 - All the information I feel like I need was on the old "What should I know" database, but I can't seem to find it now. Anybody have a link? Found it several pages back.

2 - In carrying over your character to Mass Effect 2, are you locked into the same class as your ME1 character? Is there freedom in what skills you can learn despite being locked into that class? I'm playing Soldier through ME1 since it seems the most appropriate, but I'd like to change that up in ME2 if possible.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

treat posted:

2 - In carrying over your character to Mass Effect 2, are you locked into the same class as your ME1 character? Is there freedom in what skills you can learn despite being locked into that class? I'm playing Soldier through ME1 since it seems the most appropriate, but I'd like to change that up in ME2 if possible.

Nope, you can choose a new class at the beginning of ME2, even for imported characters.
Skills don't carry over or anything either, you can start the game with your imported character just as if you'd start a new character -- the only exception to this is your character background (Spacer, Earth Born, Colonist) and psychological thingy (War Hero, Sole Survivor, Ruthless), those will be carried over and cannot be changed.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, your character's gender cannot be changed either, but I guess nobody would really expect this to work anyway :downs:

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 13, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

treat posted:

I'm finally giving Mass Effect another try

Similarly, when given the option to kill or let die any of your squad mates, is it worth it to do so, or is it more of a gimmick? Is this something I would greatly regret later in ME1? In ME2 with an imported character?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

treat posted:

Similarly, when given the option to kill or let die any of your squad mates, is it worth it to do so, or is it more of a gimmick? Is this something I would greatly regret later in ME1? In ME2 with an imported character?

There's absolutely no point in choosing to kill them (if you can avoid it!) other than for roleplaying a space rear end in a top hat. Technically, it gives you Renegade points IIRC, but that's the about only aspect that might be considered useful or positive I could think of.
Other than that, I'd try to avoid it if at all possible, as keeping them alive is much more rewarding in ME2, at least in storyline terms.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Good to know. I'm not really interested in "stuff" as much as plot progression. I have a tough time with open ended games because I often feel like I'm screwing myself out of a pathway I'd enjoy more than the one I took, though I'm sort of realizing that every choice I make is keeping me on the same path regardless.

I'm trying really hard not to have a quickload fit every time Shepard says something I think sounded stupid (he does this a lot) or over-reacts to a situation. "We're done talking" does not equate, in my mind, to pulling out your gun and shooting the person your talking to in the face. Space rear end in a top hat is incredibly appealing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

sexual rickshaw posted:

As for myself - does anyone have any tips for Cross Edge? (Other than be prepared for an onslaught of PURE ANIME.)

I haven't beat the game myself, but a few things I learned were:

1: Don't buy the guide. It is DoubleJump's worst guide they've ever made. Use GameFAQs or one of the wikis, they are infinitely better.

2: Figure out some good multiperson combos and use them. You will need solid combination attacks to get far without a lot of grinding.

3: Turn off the English language tracks if you're grinding or just running around looking for poo poo on the world map. For some reason, if you're using the English voices, there's an extra 1-3 second load before every random battle. Turning to the Japanese voices fixes it. Nobody knows why.

4: If you're looking for any sort of challenge, the only DLC you should get is the bonus dungeons. Everything else overpowers you to a pretty retarded degree.

Cross Edge is my not-so-secret shame.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What kind of character should I play in Gothic 2?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kaster Troy posted:

When I tried it, the enemies in General Nox didn't scale to my level, so do that one first, just after finishing the main campaign. The Zombie one does scale though, so you can do that when you like.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Related tip: Photographing is fun, but just forget about the pearls if you av OCD. Just forget about them, man. They're not particularly hard to find, but getting all of them means playing an infuriating mini game. Twice.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I just ordered Army of Two: The 40th Day. I'm going to play it with my usual bro-op buddy who always play games, be it Halo 3 or Splinter Cell, like it's Contra. So I already know that any amount of tact is going to fall on my shoulders.

Any tips I should know about the game going in?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

EDIT: Forgot to mention, your character's gender cannot be changed either, but I guess nobody would really expect this to work anyway :downs:

I dunno, saint's row 2 kind of spoiled me with the amount of gender-bending you could do in that game.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Something I noticed for Two Worlds 1 that I didn't see on the site- Life Shrines (respawn points) will auto-cast Heal on you. If you're having trouble with an enemy, lure them over to a shrine to tilt the odds in your favor (same goes for Mana Sources with MP regen)

EDIT: How viable is playing a mage in this game? Is it simply a matter putting most of your stat points into Willpower and most of your skill points into the magic schools/alchemy?
Speaking of skills, why are some of them greyed-out with no indication of requirements to unlock them? Do I have to go train them somewhere specific?
Lastly, is there a way to hot-key weapons?

I never played a full on mage, since casting chains on an enemy and bashing it with your stack of swords duct-taped together pretty much breaks the game.

If your skills are grey, yes you need to find a trainer and buy them.

I forget if there are weapon sets in the first game like there are in the sequel.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
It seems like a fairly straightforward game, but if anyone has any advice for Genji: Dawn of the Samurai on PS2, I'm all ears.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Bloodcider posted:

Army of Two: The 40th Day.

Any tips I should know about the game going in?

Rock beats scissors. Scissors beat paper. Paper beats rock.

There's no wrong way to play the game. Find a gun you like, bling it out, and have fun. One thing I liked is that unlike every single game ever made, shotguns are useful at medium-long range.

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
Bioshock and its sequel were on sale for $10 a piece through Steam yesterday.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Argon_Sloth posted:

Neither of them are very hard, really. most of the hints people will give you would probably be of the "here is the game breaking plasmid/tonic combo" variety, so just have fun discovering cool stuff by yourself instead of just going with a wrench run like everyone else

Bioshock 2 is poo poo for the first few hours but gets really good at the end, so stick with it

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Argon_Sloth posted:

There's not much advice to give on the game like Fag Boy Jim said, but some advice I can give is buy the Ice and Bee Plasmids ASAP, they are fun as all hell.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Molts posted:

I'm getting Dragon Age 2 tomorrow, is there anything relevant in the beginning of the story that I should now that could be a pain in the rear end ? Or bugs ?

-Don't skip the quest called Bait and Switch you get from a letter on your desk in act 1. It sends you to a dwarf named Anso; don't turn down his request, either. It's a recruiting mission in disguise.

-There is a clear point of no return in act 1 and 2 (characters will basically tell you aloud "this is the point of no return") but the one in act 3 is much less clear. Obviously you won't be worrying about it for a while, but act 3 is very short and the endgame starts earlier than you think.

-Check vendors under the "other" tab. Check every vendor under that tab. Check them once every act. Hightown, Lowtown, Dalish camp, doesn't matter, check them all. Runes, some companion armor upgrades, and some companion gifts can be found under that tab. You can order your own runes once you find the guy who sells them, but the other stuff is important. The "other" tab also has backpacks which increase your carrying capacity so you don't have to click the "sell all junk" and scour your rings and necklaces quite as often.

-There are a lot of bugs. If you're getting the PC version a patch has recently come out for a bunch of them, but if you're getting console, you're out of luck for a bit longer.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Kennel posted:

What kind of character should I play in Gothic 2?
tl;dr: Melee.

Long version: You get three choices, basically, based on the group you join. You can join the mercenaries, the paladins, or the fire mages. The mercenaries are the strongest melee combatants but have no other real abilities. The paladins are decent fighters who get some healing spells. The fire mages get spells to shoot at people.

I'd personally recommend either the mercs or the paladins. Magic is ok in this game but not great whereas melee is actually pretty fun. I wouldn't really want to deal with the clunky magic system for every fight. Being able to heal is actually less useful than it sounds due to said clunkiness, the ubiquity of healing items, and the fact that if you're melee you probably aren't building up your magic stats so your spells suck. However, there isn't really a huge difference in power throughout most of the game, the main difference is that if you're a mercenary you get the strongest sword in the game and if you're a paladin you don't. Basically endgame stuff. Choose who you like.

As far as stats and skills go - I don't really remember much of the specifics but Gothic 2 is a game that heavily rewards exploring your secondary skills. Being able to lockpick, sneak, do alchemy, blacksmith, etc is extremely rewarding, so don't neglect your utility stuff in favor of more combat prowess. 1 handers vs 2 handers is essentially a wash, they have the pros and cons you might expect. I did not find it particularly useful to invest in ranged weapons; bows are nice when you can find some higher ground so enemies can't hit you, but most of the time after you shoot an enemy he'll be in your face in like 3 seconds so I didn't really use it much.

Also, if you find an herb in the wild that boosts a stat, don't use it. You can make a potion with it that boosts your stat by a higher amount. If you want to powergame you should save these potions til you've maxed out the stat in question in order to get it above 100, but it's not that big a deal.

Enjoy the amazing game.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Argon_Sloth posted:

In Bioshock you will have enough gun stations to upgrade everything (assuming that when dealing with Sander Cohen you do not kill him in Fort Frolic.)

In Bioshock 2 you will have to choose which guns you use most because there won't be enough. The shotgun upgrades are probably vital in both games.

Electricity stuns big daddies/sisters.

And money is meaningless, there's no reason to save it, so just buy ammo/health as you need.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Argon_Sloth posted:

Bioshock 2 (is a very easy game but here are some tips anyway):

- When you're outside underwater, keep your eyes peeled for ADAM slugs. About half of them are very obvious, and the other half are poorly-hidden. If you speed through the level you'll miss them.
- It's worth hacking every vending machine you get just for the potential hack darts (as only hacked machines will sell the darts). If you're full up on darts, it's still worth hacking them because if you hit the blue area during the hacking minigame on a vending machine, you get some free items from the machine.
- Use the roving Big Daddies to your advantage during tough fights. The game's pretty good about telling you when there's about to be an onslaught (there's a guaranteed mob event every time you gather ADAM with a little sister, and a guaranteed boss fight with a big sister when you rescue/harvest the last little sister in a level), so try to position yourself near a Big Daddy right before these things happen. With any luck, the splicers/bosses you're fighting will accidentally hit the neutral Big Daddy who will turn hostile on them and take a lot of the focus off of you. The caveat to this strategy is that later in the game as mob events and boss fights become more hectic, the odds that you'll be the one to accidentally hit the Big Daddy will drastically increase, and fighting a mob AND a Big Daddy can be very tough. If you're having trouble luring the enemy to a Big Daddy, or if the enemy is being careful not to attack the Big Daddy, you can upgrade Hypnotize to level 3 and then just charm the Big Daddy. Then he'll attack anything that's hostile to you on his own.
- Many enemies charge during combat (brute slicers are the worst, but Alpha Series, Big Sisters and some Big Daddies will do it as well). You can stop them by meleeing them (doesn't matter with what weapon) right before they strike you. They'll get disoriented and you can get a few shots in, or just run away.
- You can find the research camera in Pauper's Drop, in the pawn shop. I recommend getting it before you do ANYTHING ELSE in the level, just so that you can maximize your research ASAP.
- Along those lines, two of the research perks are worth obtaining immediately. The Scrounger (fully research Thuggish Splicers) tonic will massively increase the amount of loot you find, and it creates new random items and containers when you backtrack through a level, which is pretty awesome. The Natural Camouflage (fully research Houdini Splicers) tonic will let you turn invisible while standing still, which is handy for hacking and defending little sisters while they gather.
- During a research session, you get the best bonuses by bringing in allies. So try to lure enemies to areas where you control cameras and turrets, summon bots, use the Hypnotize plasmid to turn other enemies to your cause, and trick enemies into enraging a Big Daddy (by standing right behind the Big Daddy during a fight). The other way to stack up good bonuses is by using environmental hazards. So electrocute enemies standing in water and light enemies on fire who are standing in oil patches or near gas leaks. You get far better bonuses for these things that you would for just switching up plasmids or weapons. For the record, you get about a +100 research bonus during a session for each time you use a different plasmid, and maybe a dozen points each time you switch weapon types. The most effective plasmid (at least in the context of research bonuses) is TK. For whatever reason, you can rack up huge bonuses by throwing things at the enemy, throwing the enemy at things, and throwing things that the enemy threw at you back at the enemy.
- Don't remember if this was in Bioshock 1, but here's the neat thing about TK in 2: Pulling items toward you costs no EVE. You can drop an item you've pulled toward you by hitting square. Dropping items doesn't cost anything either, neither does searching a container you've pulled toward you. The only part of TK that costs EVE is when you throw the item. So with TK3 you can pull a live enemy toward you, and while you hold them there you can bash them to death with your melee attack, then drop the body and you won't have lost any EVE.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I asked in the gog.com thread but here is also a good place to ask; any advice for someone only just now getting around to playing Alone in the Dark?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Faerie Fortune posted:

I asked in the gog.com thread but here is also a good place to ask; any advice for someone only just now getting around to playing Alone in the Dark?
Combat is really all about positioning and stun-locking. Jumping puzzles are all about constant saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Anything for Galactic Civilizations 2? I'm not at all experienced with 4X games and I'm kind of overwhelmed.