Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
https://vimeo.com/17894717

Just going to drop this here in celebration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Well, I just put ordered an Epiphone Allen Woody. It's backordered so I can pretend it's being custom-built for me. If it's as cool as I think it's going to be I'm probably going to sell my Dano Longhorn.

I can't remember if I mentioned getting it here, but I ended up returning the Peavey Foundation I bought. I wish I liked it because it played great, but I just couldn't convince myself to be a Jazz bass guy. Every time I played it I was thinking about how much better my other basses would sound for the music I play. Precisions and quirky short-scale basses for life.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Ed Friedland reviews the MIJ Fender Steve Harris signature P-bass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A72TYFcqk4E

Some unused outtakes from his Lightwave Saber VL5 fretless review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oPXJOCXgdE

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 12, 2011

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
man that makes me want a Steve Harris P-Bass even more ughh

here is a slightly more rigorous demo by a mysterious japanese man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mu8VWFJFpI

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
I just bought an Ibanez SR305 last night, since it was the most comfortable one I tried at the store. Any other 5-string players here? I'm loving having the lower D available without messing with the tuning.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ObsidianBeast posted:

I just bought an Ibanez SR305 last night, since it was the most comfortable one I tried at the store. Any other 5-string players here? I'm loving having the lower D available without messing with the tuning.

I started on an SR300 and then moved up to a Sterling Ray35. So I know where youre at.

I got the 5 string mainly because I'm lazy and its nice to have lower notes available at higher fret positions / move around less. But I'm lazy and a horrible player.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

ObsidianBeast posted:

Yeah, but we play in drop B so I actually have mine set up so the EADG strings are a full step up, so it's low to high BF#BEA. So for me it's more like having an extra high string I hardly ever use.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

ObsidianBeast posted:

Yep, but I actually tune my 5 to standard D/drop C with a high A#. I like being able to go a full two octaves without having to change my hand position much.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Anyone use a Line 6 M9 Stompbox Modeler? It sounds way better than any other multi-effects pedal I've ever heard.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

ObsidianBeast posted:

Any other 5-string players here?

5-stringer since 1998.

gotly posted:

Anyone use a Line 6 M9 Stompbox Modeler? It sounds way better than any other multi-effects pedal I've ever heard.

The Mx pedals are all really loving good. I've only tried it with guitar, though. How is it on bass?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

ObsidianBeast posted:

Got a cheap fretless 5 (like buttah) and there's a decent chance that this might get dropped into my lap soon:

http://www.clementbass.com/web/Gallery/Bassgallery/tabid/55/Default.aspx?path=SingleCuts%2FClement+087

I got my first upright from my high school orchestra director for a steal at $1500. Because of humidity issues and the lack of solid structural integrity with that ancient beast, I got another dirt-cheap upright ($1400) to protect the other bass. The director wants his old upright back, but doesn't have the cash to buy it, so he is really tempted to trade me that Clement. I hope it goes through - I could really use a good fretted 5 that beats the pants off my Schecter Elite 4.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

5-stringer since 1998.

The Mx pedals are all really loving good. I've only tried it with guitar, though. How is it on bass?

I'm pretty much sold. Amazon has it for $355. Got a price match for $345 from Music123 but probably going for Amazon for the ease of returning it. I'll try and make a decent demo video.

I'll probably use it for stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy1CHN9LMh8

And much less so for stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5AQq4-ApI

Here's a review that shows a lot of effects.

https://vimeo.com/7069152

Sounds really loving good!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

ObsidianBeast posted:

Yup, tuned to A.

I play the 4 stringers in C.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
So I'm looking to finally upgrade my amp to something I can actually use to jam with other people (plus my lovely behringer 45w babby amp is giving up the ghost). I can get a Marshall MB4210 for about £350 which looks beefy enough at 300w or 450 with an extension, but is it worth paying more for a head+cab rather than another combo? My budget is about £350-400 so any recommendations would be nice too

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

SteadfastMeat posted:

So I'm looking to finally upgrade my amp to something I can actually use to jam with other people (plus my lovely behringer 45w babby amp is giving up the ghost). I can get a Marshall MB4210 for about £350 which looks beefy enough at 300w or 450 with an extension, but is it worth paying more for a head+cab rather than another combo? My budget is about £350-400 so any recommendations would be nice too

Yes.

Head+cab is far more versatile than a combo. You're never tied to either. If you love the head, you can always upgrade to better cabs. If you like the way the cabs sound, you can hang onto them for another head later.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
So I inadvertently discovered a product that you guys might be interested in. A few weeks ago I bought a product called Band-Aid Friction Block. Its meant to be something you put on your feet to prevent blisters or chaffing causes by friction between your shoes and your feet.

I had a kinda long recording session yesterday and my fingers were starting to get that painful "you're going to get a blister soon if you keep this up" feeling. I really didn't want to get a blister because they take a little while to heal and I have a lot of recording to finish up in the next week or so.

So I applied the Friction Block to my fingers assuming it'd work just as well - and it does! I've been warming up for recording today for the past 1.5 hours or so and not only have I not gotten a blister yet, my fingers aren't experiencing any pain either.

I don't plan on relying on it however - normally I have pretty good calluses built up but I haven't been playing as much for the past couple of months because of other obligations eating into my practice time. However it works pretty good in a pinch and I'll probably use it when I play shows. Heat and sweat is usually a good combination for hurting fingers.

PS Not a Band-Aid spokesperson or anything. I'm just pretty impressed with how well this works.

e: apparently the main ingredient is Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (aka Crisco), but the consistency is considerably more dense. Its kinda expensive but I got it on sale for $1 :coal:

Scarf posted:

Head+cab is far more versatile than a combo. You're never tied to either. If you love the head, you can always upgrade to better cabs. If you like the way the cabs sound, you can hang onto them for another head later.

Wise words. I personally have two cabs (and two heads for that matter). One that I use in my band's practice space and one for at home. This way I only have to take my bass and my amp head back and forth between the two places.

SteadfastMeat posted:

My budget is about £350-400 so any recommendations would be nice too

What kind of music do you tend to play? What instrument?

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 17, 2011

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
VT Bass people: I'm looking to find something a little louder than my 200w combo and I know a guy who may sell me his VT Bass pedal he never uses. I'd just need a cab and a power amp and I'd be set, but I don't know poo poo about power amps and I'm also cheap as hell. Should I look for anything specific w/r/t power amps or can I just grab any old cheap thing on craigslist?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Power's pretty much power, but cheap and light power is so cheap and light nowadays that you might as well take a look at some new stuff.

Such as: http://www.peavey.com/products/proaudio/poweramps/ipr/index.cfm/item/116949/IPR%28tm%29%201600.html

or

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=HD1500

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
What's the reasoning behind using VT Sansamp pedals over a normal amp? Cost?

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
I'm only considering it because of how cheap I can get it and I know they sound good. If I can find a power amp for less than a head of similar power I'll do it because I really can't understate how cheap I am.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

BBW FEVER posted:

What kind of music do you tend to play? What instrument?

I mostly play uptempo, heavyish stuff, not so much metal because I can't be bothered downtuning but lots of punk and hard rock, I love the sound that guys like Karl Alvarez and Ali McMordie from Stiff Little Fingers get (which as far as I can tell involves MAXIMUM MIDS CRANK EM UP). At the moment I play an Ibanez SRX430 which for the most part does what I need it to, but I've been saving for a Fender Precision for a while now so that could change.

After a little research I've discovered I can get a 300w Laney head and 1x15 cab for just over £400. Is their stuff any good?

the sex ghost fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 18, 2011

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ I've heard nothing but praise for the GALLIEN KRUEGER BACKLINE 600 head. It's around 300€ so about the same in dollars but you should be abled to find one cheaper used. Very good head if you're on a budget.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

gotly posted:

What's the reasoning behind using VT Sansamp pedals over a normal amp? Cost?

That and they sound loving phenomenal. Hell, most of the time I bypass my preamp and the the VT as my pre nowadays anyway. I've strongly considered moving towards that same direction.

Hell, Tech21 has even turned it into a full, dual-channel pre+power amp now.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/bass/vt1969.html

Space, look into Peavey, can't go wrong. Other big names are Crown and QSC, but they'll be pricier.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, has anyone check this thing out yet?

I've always liked the sound of Eden amps... Might have to try this out if I can find one locally.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
As of yesterday I'm an official FLATSTM player! Got Roto's to start with and might pick up some nicer ones when I'm used to it. Liking it so far but got practice tonight, so may not last long.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

darkwasthenight posted:

As of yesterday I'm an official FLATSTM player! Got Roto's to start with and might pick up some nicer ones when I'm used to it. Liking it so far but got practice tonight, so may not last long.

pretend you're steve harris, all day every day

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

darkwasthenight posted:

Just remember, they only get better with age and more play. If you like the way they sound, there really isn't any need to get more expensive ones unless you just want to experiment. Roto makes some great strings, so there isn't really going to be a whole lot more than other flats like La Bellas or TIs will be able to offer you (well, TIs have a very low tension, that's about their only real difference).

If you do decide to change them out, be sure to save the Rotos. Just coil them up like they were in the package. I've got probably 5-6 sets of strings stored away like that for when I want to swap back.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Scarf posted:

Hell, Tech21 has even turned it into a full, dual-channel pre+power amp now.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/amps/bass/vt1969.html

Over $1000 for a 23lb 300w amp. It's like they haven't been paying attention. No idea why you'd buy that over a VT Bass pedal and something like an Amplite or IPR.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Over $1000 for a 23lb 300w amp. It's like they haven't been paying attention. No idea why you'd buy that over a VT Bass pedal and something like an Amplite or IPR.

I agree completely, just showing further proof that the VT Bass is a pretty legit preamp, and that VT Bass + Power amp is a pretty legit setup.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It looks almost exactly like their other Landmark 300 head, which has been out since before the big Class D revolution. I figure they just went for the cheap R&D route and used parts they already have in stock instead of designing an all-new head.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TyChan posted:

It looks almost exactly like their other Landmark 300 head, which has been out since before the big Class D revolution. I figure they just went for the cheap R&D route and used parts they already have in stock instead of designing an all-new head.

Pretty much. The preamp-guts are really the only thing that has changed. The rest is inconsequential.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

I'm a guitar player who wants to buy a bass to mess around with. I own an agile guitar and really love the thing, so I've been looking at rondomusic's selection. They really have nothing in 4-string that I would consider buying, although this 5-string looks nice.

Any advice? My price range is probably around $200-300.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Zakath posted:

I'm a guitar player who wants to buy a bass to mess around with. I own an agile guitar and really love the thing, so I've been looking at rondomusic's selection. They really have nothing in 4-string that I would consider buying, although this 5-string looks nice.

Any advice? My price range is probably around $200-300.

Check out Squier's Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series of basses.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/squeek-eaze-electric-bass-guitars?N=100001+304428+200986

Pretty much anything there that says either Vintage Modified of Classic Vibe. Those two lines of Squiers have really surprised everyone in their quality and playability. Definitely don't write them off just because they're Squier.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 22, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I had to sprint out of guitar center to avoid buying the squier classic vibe 60's jazz.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I had to sprint out of guitar center to avoid buying the squier classic vibe 60's jazz.

I've really been wanting to get my hands on the new CV '77.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Bass-77?sku=430660

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008
I am finding myself with a TREMENDOUS boner for the new Matt Freeman P. I don't even really care too much for that band he is in or anything, but I have been looking for a black/maple P for a while. Hopefully, somewhere around me gets one in soon so I can at least check it out.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/-Matt-Freeman-Precision-Bass-Guitar?sku=H72939&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=850327624

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Scarf posted:

Check out Squier's Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series of basses.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/squeek-eaze-electric-bass-guitars?N=100001+304428+200986

Pretty much anything there that says either Vintage Modified of Classic Vibe. Those two lines of Squiers have really surprised everyone in their quality and playability. Definitely don't write them off just because they're Squier.

Not that I'm much of a voice of authority, but I will say the 60's CV Jazz is a great instrument. I've yet to regret the purchase, and got it used for $225.

vv I love you, validation. Even if you're talking P over J.

Pehther fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 22, 2011

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

CV '60s Precision owner here. I play it more often than my more expensive basses. It just sounds and feels right.

The Big L
May 8, 2008
Even though this may be one of the most painfully subjective questions one can ask, I can't help but seek some some advice regarding the "best" tone wood combinations for bass guitar. I know the subject is beat to death, but I've been given a great opportunity to assemble a custom bass from scratch and I'd appreciate any opinions from more experienced musicians than myself. I'm looking to construct a passive jazz bass, but I have very little experience or opportunity to experiment with different wood combinations.

I know the most common wood combinations are swamp ash body/maple neck and alder body/rosewood neck. But besides aesthetic appearances, are there any distinctive differences between them? I ask this because I've been playing budget basswood and agathis basses by entire life, so I have no personal experience with any decent/boutique tone woods. I mean, if it came down to looks only, I'd get a swamp ash body with an ebony neck, but I have no idea if these are compatible woods or not.

If it's any help, I mostly lean toward mid-low end sound frequencies (Reggae, dubstep, etc.) and have already bought/been handed down some hardware, such as:
- Dimarzio Model J Pickups
- Hipshot A Bass Bridge
- Hipshot Ultralite Tuners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Wood certainly makes a difference in how your bass sounds, but your pickup locations, strings, pickups, electronics, and hands are about 80% of the whole package, so I wouldn't stress about it too much.

That said, Warmoth has a pretty good guide on what to expect from different woods.

http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/Options/WoodDescriptions.aspx

I'd probably go alder body and rosewood board, but I'd also recommend using flats if you're not already.