Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Caddrel posted:

Can anyone recommend a good video LP of X-COM? Preferably one that does a good job of explaining choices rather than blowing past everything,

If you don't mind the wait I am planning exactly this. Part Let's Play/part video walkthrough. It's still about a month out though because I won't have time to start until after I move into my new place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Okay, I need your help people. I'm looking for a specific LP by taxidermistpasta, on a Mega Man game (I don't remember which one). I thought it was funny as gently caress, and I only remember a few quotes from it, gems like 'Time is Mega Man o'clock' (referencing the lives bar with the mega man's face and colon followed by two zeros) and an compilation of him dying and saying gently caress maybe twenty times.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Okay, I need your help people. I'm looking for a specific LP by taxidermistpasta, on a Mega Man game (I don't remember which one). I thought it was funny as gently caress, and I only remember a few quotes from it, gems like 'Time is Mega Man o'clock' (referencing the lives bar with the mega man's face and colon followed by two zeros) and an compilation of him dying and saying gently caress maybe twenty times.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Yeah, you want this. It wasn't its own LP.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
e: Actually, I found what I was looking for on his youtube channel (who would have thought, right?).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaLSeBLtMZM

I find this way too hilarious.

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 10, 2011

Haller
Jan 29, 2008

Organic Robot's Escape From Butcher Bay thread needs some more love. He does a good job of showing off the game, and his laid back commentary fits well with it. The game itself also seems to be an under the radar type game that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Rooney McNibnug posted:

e: Actually, I found what I was looking for on his youtube channel (who would have thought, right?).

I think this is still my favorite video to come out of this forum.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I don't always "get" taxidermistpasta's stuff, but goddamn this is amazing. And I like how Oyster's Megaman 1 Ice Man video is in the related vids, where he has to imitate TVC42.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
I just finished reading Let's play - Machinarium and loved it. ( http://lparchive.org/Machinarium/ ) Great music, interesting logic puzzles I don't think I could have solved without looking at a guide and subtitles that help keep the atmosphere going.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend another Let's play that has that kind of click the screen / puzzled based game.

I always loved watching others play these games as all the solutions seemed complicated as a kid. Cheers

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ally_1986 posted:

I just finished reading Let's play - Machinarium and loved it. ( http://lparchive.org/Machinarium/ ) Great music, interesting logic puzzles I don't think I could have solved without looking at a guide and subtitles that help keep the atmosphere going.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend another Let's play that has that kind of click the screen / puzzled based game.

I always loved watching others play these games as all the solutions seemed complicated as a kid. Cheers

It's not a point and click game, but if you want atmospheric and awesome, then I can't recommend CannibalK9's LP of The Void enough. He does talk, but his voice is very......soothing and non-intrusive. Goes well with the game.

http://lparchive.org/The-Void/

e: I will say that watching it inspired me to get the game, if that means anything. He pulled it off well.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 13, 2011

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
speaking of which, at least 3 lp's, I've seen the game designer come in and answer questions about the games being played (Yahtzee in the Chzo mythos thread, TheLxR in The Void thread, and recently Al Lowe in the Leisure Suit Larry thread). I always find this interesting, so are there any other threads where this has happened?

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

Yonic Symbolism posted:

speaking of which, at least 3 lp's, I've seen the game designer come in and answer questions about the games being played (Yahtzee in the Chzo mythos thread, TheLxR in The Void thread, and recently Al Lowe in the Leisure Suit Larry thread). I always find this interesting, so are there any other threads where this has happened?

There's a former Obsidian employee who's commented some in Circlmaster's Alpha Protocol LP, but that's all I can think of off of the top of my head.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Doug Dinsdale tends to follow Pokemon threads (Chorocojo's and Metroixer's in particular). He was a translator, not a designer, but that kind of counts, right?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Yonic Symbolism posted:

"The" game designer, heh :v:

Well, in Metroixer's Let's Break Pokemon Blue we had some insightful commentary from the translator of the first two GB games. (ninjaedit: What the guy above said.) The Chronicles of Riddick thread had a level designer drop by and give some neat background details and also post a picture of Vin Diesel with a box of World of Warcraft and a big ol' smile.

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
Sanitarium is yet another, but you'll need archives access since the commentary isn't on the LP Archive.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Super Metroid Redesign :cawg:

LesBeardly
Jul 4, 2010

BEST BALLS ON SA AWARD

ally_1986 posted:

Toonstruck.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Yonic Symbolism posted:

In Ratatozk's Cretan Chronicles LP the CYOA book author came and started posting.

Quovak posted:

Sanitarium is yet another, but you'll need archives access since the commentary isn't on the LP Archive.

Wow, thank you for linking this! This is a fantastic LP that I never managed to catch the first time around.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 14, 2011

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Don't forget a bunch of the Ubisoft Prince of Persia games, which have had some behind the scenes commentary from one of the programmers. Gimbal Lock, unless I have him confused with someone else.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
Are there any good video LPs of Silent Hill 2 around? I like From Earth's, but I'd love to watch one in video form, and all of the brilliant comedians on YouTube keep talking over the cutscenes. (Kamoc's LP of Homecoming has put me in the mood for more Silent Hill).

Michel parameter
May 6, 2010

by T. Finn

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Like Qylvaran just said, Gimbal lock did answer a lot of thing in the previous Prince of Persia LP threads. As far as I know, he posted on both The Two Thrones and the Prince of Persia 2008 threads, but saddly he wasn't there for the Forgotten Sands LP, and I don't know about the Assassin's Creed 1 & 2 LP threads.

He guested in one episode of Coulis' The Two Thrones LP and there's a "Developer Behind the scene fun facts with Gimbal lock" section in my Prince of Persia 2008 LP, just scroll down and you'll see the Gimbal lock section.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Yonic Symbolism posted:

This is an offsite lp and not exactly what you were asking for, but you can watch the developers of Magicka playing through the game and talking about its development here.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
If you haven't checked out Geop's Assassin's Creed LP you are missing out. There are 1 or 2 videos left.

He is skilled at the game. The editing has struck the proper balance between showing too much and not enough. His commentary is what puts it over the top. He takes the game and tries to find the corresponding real life landmarks and then gives the history on them when he has to scale them.
I could try and describe his latest improvement but these quotes say it so much better.

JT Jag posted:

Great video. The history segments were outstanding...

KozmoNaut posted:

:aaa:

Geop, you have transcended mere LP-dom and joined the ranks of artistry...

Cooked Auto posted:

Good lord. That is impressively put together I have to say...

And more.

If nothing else go watch the first 10-20 min of his latest video (link to containing post).

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It's not entirely the same, but ElPottoGrande shows up for most of the Sonic LPs. He's either a writer or an artist for the Archie Sonic comics, I forget which.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Rocketlex posted:

Actually, at least one of them had played through the game before the LP. :negative:
Yeah but he admitted that he was pretty much drunk through the entire LP.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

thevoiceofdog posted:

And I like how Oyster's Megaman 1 Ice Man video is in the related vids, where he has to imitate TVC42.

Here's the video in question, for posterity.

Major_JF posted:

If you haven't checked out Geop's Assassin's Creed LP you are missing out. There are 1 or 2 videos left.

If nothing else go watch the first 10-20 min of his latest video.

Man, no joke! This is pretty amazing!

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011
I need a little help finding an LP. I read an update or two but forgot to mark it and couldn't find it again.

It's an SSLP, about Chinese history and the genre was somewhat Princess Maker / RPG. Most of the game is isometric, and apparently it is translated from Chinese. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Wheezer posted:

I need a little help finding an LP. I read an update or two but forgot to mark it and couldn't find it again.

It's an SSLP, about Chinese history and the genre was somewhat Princess Maker / RPG. Most of the game is isometric, and apparently it is translated from Chinese. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

This: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3304401

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011

flaccid
Sep 11, 2008

yo there was this let us (not you) play thing, done by bagel bros or some poo poo

they did some games i cant find them
help

flaccid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 24, 2012

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

flaccid posted:

A few years ago there was a thread called something along the lines of "Let us (not you) play", it was done by two guys called the Bagel Brothers or something similar, my memory could be playing tricks on me, though.

Basically it was two guys who I assume were usually drunk taking LP requests for retro games they had never played before, and I can't find the thread or youtube account anywhere for the life of me.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

That was taxidermistpasta and vollipop mambo. Taxi had a thread relatively recently where he was reupping a lot of his lost videos. Here's a link to all his archived stuff, not sure how much of it still exists though.

flaccid
Sep 11, 2008

thanks b

flaccid fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 24, 2012

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.
This one may be a bit of a hard sell....

It's a Mega Man LP. And it's a non-gimmick run of the series. Forums user Simply Simon has been doing what can best be described as a video love letter to the historic series. Immensely interesting to someone, like me, who has never played the series before, he actually uses the sub-weapons as they were intended and explains various bits and bobs of the game design in a straightforward manner. I seem to be among the minority of the people viewing since I've never played the game, so if you are a fan of the seminal series, having defeaty Wily countless times, you should still give it a look. His approach is refreshing, his commentary is well rehearsed and delivered in an engagingly friendly German accent. It is a fantastic series that is up there with the best, and it's criminal his latest thread hasn't gone gold, though this might be more due to his extremely quick update schedule. Even the threads themselves have been an entertaining read, with lots of great music and item discussion, as well as several great remixes of classic Mega Man music being posted. His first thread is slipping towards archives, so if you don't have that you'll need to catch it soon.

Mega Man - The unexpected Abraham
Mega Man 2 - Birth of a Legend
and currently ongoing...
Mega Man 3 - A Slide to the Top
[/effort post]

Sorry if someone else has already recommended this series with a less :words:ey post, but a quick search for "Simon" for the last 5 pages found nothing.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Joe Bananas posted:

This one may be a bit of a hard sell....

It's a Mega Man LP. And it's a non-gimmick run of the series. Forums user Simply Simon has been doing what can best be described as a video love letter to the historic series. Immensely interesting to someone, like me, who has never played the series before, he actually uses the sub-weapons as they were intended and explains various bits and bobs of the game design in a straightforward manner. I seem to be among the minority of the people viewing since I've never played the game, so if you are a fan of the seminal series, having defeaty Wily countless times, you should still give it a look. His approach is refreshing, his commentary is well rehearsed and delivered in an engagingly friendly German accent. It is a fantastic series that is up there with the best, and it's criminal his latest thread hasn't gone gold, though this might be more due to his extremely quick update schedule. Even the threads themselves have been an entertaining read, with lots of great music and item discussion, as well as several great remixes of classic Mega Man music being posted. His first thread is slipping towards archives, so if you don't have that you'll need to catch it soon.

and currently ongoing...
[/effort post]

Sorry if someone else has already recommended this series with a less :words:ey post, but a quick search for "Simon" for the last 5 pages found nothing.

To clarify further: if you watch the Mega Man 3 videos, for example, you will discover that Top Spin is actually a pretty useful weapon. I don't think I need to say anything more.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Gonna throw up two recommendations here.

Vilkacis' Shining in the Darkness LP has been a great read. It's a dungeon crawler he's bending over his knee, and is full of cool information. You can see the precursors to the Shining Force series here as well. It's a lot like ddegenha's no-BS runthroughs of the Final Fantasy Legend series, so if you liked those check this out.

Crowtron's Parasite Eve LP has been an awesome read as well. It's not survival horror per se, but it's definitely gooey and unsettling at some parts and just plain what the hell at others. I don't think there's been an update yet I haven't laughed thanks to his writing.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Joe Bananas posted:

His first thread is slipping towards archives, so if you don't have that you'll need to catch it soon.

and currently ongoing...
[/effort post]

While the thread was worthwhile to read, the first two are archived here and here.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I recently finished playing the original Portal (I've had a really crappy computer for a really long time), and now I'd like to see a voice lp commenting on the story and showing anything that I might've missed. I could tell by the first three minutes of the one on the LP archive that it does not fit the bill, so could anyone recommend a good one from elsewhere?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Pester posted:

I recently finished playing the original Portal (I've had a really crappy computer for a really long time), and now I'd like to see a voice lp commenting on the story and showing anything that I might've missed. I could tell by the first three minutes of the one on the LP archive that it does not fit the bill, so could anyone recommend a good one from elsewhere?

What you probably want to do is play through the game again with the Developers' Commentary enabled. That should cover everything. There was a discussion recently about how Portal is basically un-LPable in another thread, so I don't expect you'll see any other LPs any time soon. Or you could just do a Youtube search like a normal person who hates having fun.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Nidoking posted:

What you probably want to do is play through the game again with the Developers' Commentary enabled. That should cover everything. There was a discussion recently about how Portal is basically un-LPable in another thread, so I don't expect you'll see any other LPs any time soon. Or you could just do a Youtube search like a normal person who hates having fun.

Yeah, I really can't see what could be added by an LP of it. You're certainly not going to exceed the game's humor.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean

Feinne posted:

Yeah, I really can't see what could be added by an LP of it. You're certainly not going to exceed the game's humor.

I think the only reason I'd want to watch a portal play is a super-skilled run. And that's what speedruns are for.

So, yeah, I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'd quite like to see a super-skilled glitch run. Speedruns use a lot of glitches, sure, but they don't generally stop to explain what's going on.

• Locked thread