Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They then come back down in the fire, since the parachute only takes them so far and 'Mech ejector seats are designed to keep pilots from being dangling targets for more than a few seconds. They don't get launched very high.

Edit: Mukaikubo, your inbox is full.

Actually, all that hot air Slaan mentioned means that the parachute may actually push up for a few moments, potentially moving the ejection seat laterally away from the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Actually, all that hot air Slaan mentioned means that the parachute may actually push up for a few moments, potentially moving the ejection seat laterally away from the fire.

According to that logic, Caesar Steiner could use a parachute to travel the world. That is, if his tremendous bulk doesn't get him stuck in his mech's ejection chute.

drat, I wish we could have a series of humiliating/cheesy Caesar "Slob" Steiner cartoons...

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 13, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This is what I always visualize.

If I was any good at image editing at all I'd have the shirt read "Nagelring" and change that flag, but I'm not.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Did somebody say wrestling? It's a Cyclops but it's still awesome :colbert:

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

The Casualty posted:

Did somebody say wrestling? It's a Cyclops but it's still awesome :colbert:

Very nice, much better than mine. Though I swear I've seen that Loki backshot somewhere...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I just noticed something.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I just noticed something.

Indeed, sir, that's the same fine piece of cinema wherein my earlier quote did originate.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Normal ejection is often just the mechwarrior climbing out a hatch and jumping in certain mech's cases.

Note that PTN said mechs are "resistant". That's very different to "immune".

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Arquinsiel posted:

Note that PTN said mechs are "resistant". That's very different to "immune".
Mechs don't take damage from fire, they gain a bit of heat from it per turn that they're in the hex that's on fire, but since they won't be firing their weapons, they won't have much to worry about.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Armor breach in/on fire? Nothing special happens!
Armor breach in/under water? Section destroyed!

Because batteries, fusion engines, weapons, capacitors, ammo, and myomers are all fireproof; but get a little water on them and they're instantly useless.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clearly it is because of the massive change in pressure that comes from standing in 5 feet of water. :pseudo:

Also the fact that endo-steel is made out of those packing pellets that dissolve when they get wet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Can you equip a mech with water cannon?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Yes, as an anti-riot/firefighting weapon. It does no damage.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

goatface posted:

I'd just houserule that poo poo.

Oh, man, PTN. Can we get a civil unrest scenario with tear-gas SRMs and load the MGs with rubber bullets at some point? It would be really compelling narrative from the protestors side.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

LeschNyhan posted:

Oh, man, PTN. Can we get a civil unrest scenario with tear-gas SRMs and load the MGs with rubber bullets at some point? It would be really compelling narrative from the protestors side.

Or... not.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
>Arm all civilians with water balloons
>Have all civilians attack mech
>Wait for TAC
>Enjoy watching water do its work

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

LeschNyhan posted:

If the SRMs were set to airburst, maybe. The MGs, however, wouldn't be a very good idea imo. Why? Normal MG rounds (which are possibly moving at >= 2700 ft/s) are big enough to damage mechs, however minimal that damage is. .50 Cal. rubber bullets would still probably be lethal to said protesters (and would inflict serious injuries if not).

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

landcollector posted:

If the SRMs were set to airburst, maybe. The MGs, however, wouldn't be a very good idea imo. Why? Normal MG rounds (which are possibly moving at >= 2700 ft/s) are big enough to damage mechs, however minimal that damage is. .50 Cal. rubber bullets would still probably be lethal to said protesters (and would inflict serious injuries if not).

Giant robot battles is not exactly realistic either.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

LeschNyhan posted:

Giant robot battles is not exactly realistic either.

Either way, I'd leave riot control to either local police or more conventional militia forces. Using mech mounted MGs just feels like overkill to me...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rubber shot in the autocannons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

Either way, I'd leave riot control to either local police or more conventional militia forces. Using mech mounted MGs just feels like overkill to me...

It's done all the time. Minus the 'rubber bullets' part. The Successor States are not a nice place to riot.

Hell, on Hachiman in the Draconis Combine, the only way to tell the difference between a 'street party' and a 'riot' is that during a riot you can hear the local police firing their automatic shotguns into the crowds.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's done all the time. Minus the 'rubber bullets' part. The Successor States are not a nice place to riot.

Hell, on Hachiman in the Draconis Combine, the only way to tell the difference between a 'street party' and a 'riot' is that during a riot you can hear the local police firing their automatic shotguns into the crowds.

The street party being the one with the shotguns, and the riot the one without. We party hard in Snakeville.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Taking the other stance for a moment, I wonder if it would be possible for Rubber rounds to be created for a Heavy Gauss Rifle (or any Gauss Rifle...). Probably not, as the firing mechanism requires a ferrous projectile to propel out the barrel. A close substitute would be goatface's idea. LB 20-X ACs using mech caliber rubber buckshot. Be prepared for carnage however...:gonk:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Well...drat. I guess that is what one can expect from the DC, though.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

landcollector posted:

Taking the other stance for a moment, I wonder if it would be possible for Rubber rounds to be created for a Heavy Gauss Rifle (or any Gauss Rifle...). Probably not, as the firing mechanism requires a ferrous projectile to propel out the barrel. A close substitute would be goatface's idea. LB 20-X ACs using mech caliber rubber buckshot. Be prepared for carnage however...:gonk:

Discarding ferrous sabot, perhaps? Still, anything that comes out of a goddamn railgun is not going to leave happy, or living, people on the receiving end.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Let's all keep in mind that by inventing Steiner Rules, just so a single commander could buy some time for a practically meaningless fight, you've ensured that an entire army of honor-obsessed invaders will never trust anyone with a Steiner fist on their mech, ever again.

Unless, of course, John Belushi-Steiner can manage to convince his entire empire to play along--sounds like the plot of a really cheesy 80s movie.

Eh, he did tell them that many of the less experienced Steiner units fail to understand the rules. Flimsy? Yeah, but it's still an excuse.

landcollector posted:

And that's why you mount a water cannon and tear gas SRM on it. Well, unless you're the Cappellan Confederation (under Mad Max, Romano or Kali) or the Draconis Combine. "Crowd control? Isn't that what the Firestarter is for?" :flame:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^^ Yes, actually, that's one of the Firestarter's intended roles.
The Firestarter is an interesting 'Mech that someone should do an advert for; since the flamers are designed to easily be swapped out with water cannons for firefighting work; and coolant sprayers for battlefield "triage" on an overheated 'Mech.

Magni posted:

Eh, he did tell them that many of the less experienced Steiner units fail to understand the rules. Flimsy? Yeah, but it's still an excuse.

Clanners judge honor on a unit-by-unit basis. For example, you'd be hard-pressed to find a front-line Clanner willing to honor a request for a duel from the Steel Vipers' Psi ("problem 'Mechwarrior" dezegra trash) Galaxy, AKA 'Psink Galaxy'. Because it's where you sink all your 'problems'.

Clanners: The nail that stands out gets rewarded. The nail that stands out in the wrong direction gets to be a suicide trooper.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Plus if you're on about "less experienced units," when you are Caesar's Legion there are nothing but less experienced units. The regiment predates the drat Commonwealth by 200 years.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only 'Mechs and <Redacted> are fire resistant in the grim-dark world of 3032.

That settles it <Redacted> are clearly demons created from pure evil. Summoned from hell itself. Only the staunch followers of blake can stop them

Edit: or its The Stig.

Popy fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 14, 2011

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Popy posted:

That settles it <Redacted> are clearly demons created from pure evil. Summoned from hell itself.

Pretty much, yeah. Just wait until someone actually faces them in an actual fight. They're loving scary as hell.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Popy posted:

That settles it <Redacted> are clearly demons created from pure evil. Summoned from hell itself. Only the staunch followers of blake can stop them

That's what I've been saying!

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Just wait until someone actually faces them in an actual fight. They're loving scary as hell.

This video describes the probable reaction from newbies when they first appear on the field of battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJUzmhiYsrU
Appropriate section starts at 0:11. Replace "the bees" with "the <Redacted>".

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Clearly, the only way to use a mech to quell urban unrest is to mount up an Atlas and send it to stare down the riot. Seriously, anyone with fewer than three testes will simply wither under the awesome and manly gaze of 100 tons of nuclear-powered, Durallex-plated Over-Compensation.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Veyrall posted:

Clearly, the only way to use a mech to quell urban unrest is to mount up an Atlas and send it to stare down the riot. Seriously, anyone with fewer than three testes will simply wither under the awesome and manly gaze of 100 tons of nuclear-powered, Durallex-plated Over-Compensation.

Just watch out, because Cassie Suthorn might be in that crowd.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

At least we know who won't be in that crowd.

The children of the Caballeros. :smug: (See? We're not monsters. We saved them from being murdered by riot-suppressing Assault mechs!)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Cassie is 2 years old in the PTN-verse. Someone step on her with a big mech, please.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I've done some more toying around with SSW, messing around with the piloting and gunnery values in the print preview menu, and I've discovered that they have a multiplier effect on a mech's effective BV. Take a pilot of Natasha Kerensky's caliber (0/0 in canon timeline, TBA in PTN timeline) and stick her in (for example) a Mad Cat Mk. II. That one action increases the effective BV from ~3100 to somewhere around or above 9000 (I am not invoking that particular meme, and shame on anyone who is thinking that...) which is higher than quite a few military dropships. Think about that.

Some Examples:
Union-C class: BV = 7955
Union class: BV = 3962
Fortress: BV = 4798 (the upgrade's BV is 6072)
Titan class: BV = 8080

There are a few dropship classes that are still higher, though:
Pentagon class: BV = 12658

Finally, here are two so-called dropships (more like dedicated warships...) that have ludicrous BVs-
Arondight class: BV = 28,819
Tiamat class: BV = 50,146

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

landcollector posted:

I've done some more toying around with SSW, messing around with the piloting and gunnery values in the print preview menu, and I've discovered that they have a multiplier effect on a mech's effective BV. Take a pilot of Natasha Kerensky's caliber (0/0 in canon timeline, TBA in PTN timeline) and stick her in (for example) a Mad Cat Mk. II. That one action increases the effective BV from ~3100 to somewhere around or above 9000 (I am not invoking that particular meme, and shame on anyone who is thinking that...) which is higher than quite a few military dropships. Think about that.

Some Examples:

Finally, here are two so-called dropships (more like dedicated warships...) that have ludicrous BVs-

BVs aren't an absolute measure of anything, it's an approximation so people can come up with "fair" opposing forces quicker. One thing that BV doesn't take into account is terrain and environment. For example, that madcat isn't going to be much use in deep space and that union will probably cause a breach in a single salvo.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

BVs aren't an absolute measure of anything, it's an approximation so people can come up with "fair" opposing forces quicker. One thing that BV doesn't take into account is terrain and environment. For example, that madcat isn't going to be much use in deep space and that union will probably cause a breach in a single salvo.

Still, I felt it was worthy of some note, especially if said union is on a planet. Trust me, I am aware of the variables you have mentioned.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

landcollector posted:

Some Examples:

Guess those Clanners were onto something when they said they would have needed a whole Star of REDACTED to take on a Dispossessed Kai Allard-Liao.

E: Whoops, misremembered my BT novels. :downs:

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

landcollector posted:

Still, I felt it was worthy of some note, especially if said union is on a planet. Trust me, I am aware of the variables you have mentioned.

If the Union is landed and the Madcat pilot isn't an idiot then the union will never hit the Madcat. The Madcat (most versions anyway) outranges the Union. If you want to make it funny then put a 2/8 Fortress upgrade against a 0/0 Madcat and see which comes out on top.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 14, 2011

• Locked thread