Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

notlodar posted:

The lovely lab in NYC always returns my film with crap on it

Which lab were you using, just out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Mannequin posted:

Which lab were you using, just out of curiosity?
Manhattan Color Lab, of course. Not the first time, happened to some C-41 I did there, also.

Usually they're okay, I'm willing to take the chance for their way lower prices.

edit: i was able to get most of it off pec-padding, so it wasn't stuck to the emulsion, so that's fine. i would use them again (and will). it's rare that anything is dirty from them...

notlodar fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 12, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Got my Argus C3. This thing is a hoot. It's even more simple and mechanical than a Russian rangefinder. If you've used medium or large format cameras before, the operation will be somewhat familiar since cocking the shutter is an entirely separate operation from winding the film. Focusing isn't bad because you don't just get a rangefinder patch, you get the whole rangefinder window to focus with. It's split 50/50 top and bottom.

The design of the camera is one of those paradoxical things where it's both ugly and elegant at the same time.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

Got my Argus C3. This thing is a hoot. It's even more simple and mechanical than a Russian rangefinder. If you've used medium or large format cameras before, the operation will be somewhat familiar since cocking the shutter is an entirely separate operation from winding the film. Focusing isn't bad because you don't just get a rangefinder patch, you get the whole rangefinder window to focus with. It's split 50/50 top and bottom.

The design of the camera is one of those paradoxical things where it's both ugly and elegant at the same time.

I felt like such a nerd recognizing the Argus in Harry Potter 2. Also at Dumbledore opening the back of the camera to see if there was anything on the film :argh:

Actually I should have felt like nerd already for watching HP2, nevermind.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Harry Potter has magic, moving film, doesn't it?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, a few drops of Photo-Flo is all you need. run it between the pads of my thumb and index finger (no fingernails!) to get the gunk out, then hang it to dry in the shower.

wow, exactly the same workflow.

sometimes i'll use a latex glove though fwiw. either way works plenty well.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
What's a decent and inexpensive scanner for negatives? The market seems to be full of cheap ones that get bad reviews. What do you guys use and what's a model that isn't too pricey?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
The Film Thread: Get an Epson V500/V600, maybe a Betterscanning Holder too

:v:

edit- The Film Thread: I'm so baller, I shoot film

:cry:

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 12, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
More than $20 per roll!? Welp, definately not getting any camera that takes instant film, then.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

ExecuDork posted:

More than $20 per roll!? Welp, definately not getting any camera that takes instant film, then.

It's 4x5, so he's getting even less shots out of it than you though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

It's 4x5, so he's getting even less shots out of it than you though.

Yeah, it works out to like $2.65/shot (still not terrible if you compare it to shooting color 4x5, although instant film isn't nearly as detailed). I used to be able to get the FP-100C45 short-dated on eBay for significantly less in bulk ($1.50-$1.65/shot), but the guy is no longer selling I guess. Will be a lot more stingy shooting and giving them out :-\

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

Photography is an insane money pit. Large format photography is a black hole filled with money and tears.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
10 sheets of 8x10 Portra 160NC from B&H is $85. Color Developing 8x10 from North Coast Photographic Services is $7 per sheet. So each picture costs around $16.

I think it's worth it if you're careful and take really good pictures.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
As a (trying-to-recover) devote of the "spray and pray" technique, I get the shakes just thinking about prices like that.

I'm loving the home-developed C41 pictures that keep showing up in the dorkroom, and I've got a couple rolls of (probably expired) Kodak Gold 200 that I wouldn't mind ruining (they came free with some filters I bought second-hand on Pentaxforums). I've got exactly 1 successfully-developed roll of B&W notched on my camera strap, how ridiculous would it be for me to dive into C41? I understand colour is more sensitive to temperature than B&W and obviously I'll need to buy a few chemicals, but is there anything else I need to worry about? Are the negatives more vulnerable to dust and scratches?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

I think it's worth it if you're completely insane and/or baller as gently caress.

Fixed that for you.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Film Thread: Get an Epson V500/V600, maybe a Betterscanning Holder too

:v:

How is the Epson V300? the 500 is a bit outside my price range, at least on Amazon it's ~$180, versus $80 for the V300.

Also, is $5 for a roll of Tri-X a decent price?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

red19fire posted:

Also, is $5 for a roll of Tri-X a decent price?

$2.59 is better

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

notlodar posted:

Harry Potter has magic, moving film, doesn't it?
They use special magic potions to develop the film, but the film + cameras are ordinary muggle ephemera.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

ExecuDork posted:

As a (trying-to-recover) devote of the "spray and pray" technique, I get the shakes just thinking about prices like that.

I'm loving the home-developed C41 pictures that keep showing up in the dorkroom, and I've got a couple rolls of (probably expired) Kodak Gold 200 that I wouldn't mind ruining (they came free with some filters I bought second-hand on Pentaxforums). I've got exactly 1 successfully-developed roll of B&W notched on my camera strap, how ridiculous would it be for me to dive into C41? I understand colour is more sensitive to temperature than B&W and obviously I'll need to buy a few chemicals, but is there anything else I need to worry about? Are the negatives more vulnerable to dust and scratches?

All you need is a tub of hot water and some containers to put the chemicals in and you'll be able to do your own C41. I process with the chemicals about 2 to 3 degrees hotter than they recommend and I've never had any problems. The negatives are just as robust as black and white, it really is just a hot version of b&w processing, check out the little guide I wrote a page or two ago, it should tell you nearly everything you need to know. My girlfriend successfully processed her first roll of film ever on Sunday and that was a roll of C41, so get a kit, some containers and give it a go.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

red19fire posted:

How is the Epson V300? the 500 is a bit outside my price range, at least on Amazon it's ~$180, versus $80 for the V300.

It is remarkably okay for an $80 scanner. Just remember:
  • 35mm only, forever; that's it. I know you think you'll never upgrade to MF but I thought that too and a month later I owned a Yashica TLR. gently caress.
  • The ideal focal plane (at least on mine) is 1.5mm above the glass. The stock holder puts negatives 1.0mm above the glass (oops) and slides are a total loving crapshoot if they're mounted. To my knowledge, Betterscanning doesn't make a holder for the V300 either. I hope you like DIY!
  • You're into photography and you're telling me you can't scrape together an extra hundred bucks? Just go without food for a week, you probably won't even notice.

In all seriousness, I received the V300 as a gift and I discovered its limitations fairly quickly. I'm a total loving amaetur when it comes to photography and I've only been shooting for about a year but I can already feel myself itching for a better scanner. I think I'm going to save up for a V700 though; if I'm gonna buy twice, I might as well get it right the second time.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

King Hotpants posted:

I think I'm going to save up for a V700 though; if I'm gonna buy twice, I might as well get it right the second time.

You haven't lived til you've scanned with the v700 :drat:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, a lot of LF is having the self-discipline not to just go "gently caress it" and take a pic you know is going to suck.

I'd use a good roll of C-41 if you're experimenting with developing, if you do something wrong you won't really be able to distinguish your mistake from potentially bad film.

Spedman posted:

All you need is a tub of hot water and some containers to put the chemicals in and you'll be able to do your own C41. I process with the chemicals about 2 to 3 degrees hotter than they recommend and I've never had any problems. The negatives are just as robust as black and white, it really is just a hot version of b&w processing, check out the little guide I wrote a page or two ago, it should tell you nearly everything you need to know. My girlfriend successfully processed her first roll of film ever on Sunday and that was a roll of C41, so get a kit, some containers and give it a go.

This is heartening, got the C-41 powder kit from Freestyle on the way :toot: Will hopefully have time to scour Goodwill shops for a cheap slow cooker this weekend. With any luck, I won't be sending 120 out again. Maybe even 4x5!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 13, 2011

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

We have v750s and a nikon super coolscan 5000 at my university lab. Free scans until the professors leave.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Fiannaiocht posted:

We have v750s and a nikon super coolscan 5000 at my university lab. Free scans until the professors leave.

We apparently have an Imacon at our university photo department, but I don't know anyone there and I'm just staff/alum now -___-

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

You haven't lived 'til you've scanned with the Nikon Super Coolscan 5000. :smug:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

You haven't lived 'til you've scanned with the Nikon Super Coolscan 5000. :smug:
We have a Coolscan V in the office because one of our biology professors has 40 years worth of slides he needed scanned. Compared to it, flatbeds are nothing.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 28, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It depends on what enlarger (Omega C700?). At this point you should give 35mm enlargers a pass, a 6x7 enlarger might be worth $50, a 4x5 enlarger might be worth $100-200. The stuff is probably worth an extra $25-50 on top of it, again depending on precisely what he's got.

It'd cost a lot more than that to buy it new, but there's a lot of old darkrooms sitting in boxes now.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 28, 2019

red19fire
May 26, 2010

King Hotpants posted:

It is remarkably okay for an $80 scanner. Just remember:
  • 35mm only, forever; that's it. I know you think you'll never upgrade to MF but I thought that too and a month later I owned a Yashica TLR. gently caress.
  • The ideal focal plane (at least on mine) is 1.5mm above the glass. The stock holder puts negatives 1.0mm above the glass (oops) and slides are a total loving crapshoot if they're mounted. To my knowledge, Betterscanning doesn't make a holder for the V300 either. I hope you like DIY!
  • You're into photography and you're telling me you can't scrape together an extra hundred bucks? Just go without food for a week, you probably won't even notice.

In all seriousness, I received the V300 as a gift and I discovered its limitations fairly quickly. I'm a total loving amaetur when it comes to photography and I've only been shooting for about a year but I can already feel myself itching for a better scanner. I think I'm going to save up for a V700 though; if I'm gonna buy twice, I might as well get it right the second time.

Thanks, I'll take this into consideration. The V500 comes bundled with Photoshop Elements, so that might make it a stronger investment. I'm also curious if it will work with my linux computers.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

GWBBQ posted:

We have a Coolscan V in the office because one of our biology professors has 40 years worth of slides he needed scanned. Compared to it, flatbeds are nothing.

Seriously, dedicated film scanners are like orgasms in film scanning equipment form. :roboluv:

Hot Dog Day #20
May 5, 2004
:|
Has anyone had much luck shooting Provia 400x pushed a stop or two, in an automatic point-and-shoot? I hate how negatives scan, but I'm afraid that correct exposure will be a complete crapshoot with pushed slides.

On the topic of scanners... I'm not sure if it's been brought up here, but the company that makes those junky 35mm scanners that are all over ebay is supposedly releasing one in June that scans both 35mm and 120... I'm not optimistic but maybe it'll be better than a flatbed.
http://www.scanace.com/product/pf_120.html

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

VoodooXT posted:

:blush: Ouch

I never shoot 35 so a coolscan is worse than useless for me :(

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Hot Dog Day #20 posted:

Has anyone had much luck shooting Provia 400x pushed a stop or two, in an automatic point-and-shoot? I hate how negatives scan, but I'm afraid that correct exposure will be a complete crapshoot with pushed slides.
http://www.scanace.com/product/pf_120.html

I've shot 400x at 1600 and 3200 in an SLR. The latter was pretty awful but the former was surprisingly decent. I didn't find it harder to expose than slide film is ususally.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

red19fire posted:

Thanks, I'll take this into consideration. The V500 comes bundled with Photoshop Elements, so that might make it a stronger investment. I'm also curious if it will work with my linux computers.

I use my 4490 with the linux version of Vuescan, and it works exactly as well as it does in Windows. I'd assume the V500 also works fine.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Jose Pointero posted:

Thanks for the quick comeback. Why pass on 35mm? That's what I'll be using for a while at least. Plus I see enough enlargers pass through craigslist here that I could probably move up to larger format easily later on if I wanted to.

I asked him for specifics on some of the items, waiting for a response.

Quality: A medium format enlarger is more "pro" gear so it may be easier to find spares/upgrades if you need them (and you're probably less likely to need them). It's heavier, so it should be more resistant to shaking. A lot of the consumer-grade 35mm enlargers aren't built so well and are in pretty bad shape at this point. By putting your negative in the center of the light circle, you should guarantee there's no falloff (I suspect consumer enlargers suffer from this).

Cost: It's easier to resell (people who are still enlarging often shoot medium format). I've seen 35mm enlargers sit on Craigslist for a while here. You guarantee you won't have to rebuy if you decide to switch to medium format. I know you say you don't plan to, but you never know what you'll find at a garage sale and it's a big increase in quality for not much extra cost.

Basically, there's some potential upsides and medium format enlargers are still dirt cheap anyway. 35mm enlargers should basically be free at this point. On the other hand, if it's in good condition and does what you need, that's what counts. I couldn't find an Omega C enlarger, maybe it's a C700? If so, those look well-built.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 14, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sending this to Australia with the R2/Ultron I'm selling to a goon in Perth. God bless you, USPS flat rate.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Would laugh if they X-rayed the gently caress out of that box :lol:

..... :smith:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

What's the deal with ISO200 film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

GWBBQ posted: