Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

GiantsDrink posted:

I've been looking for a new show and you guys have convinced me to give breaking bad another try. I watched the first 2-3 episodes a long time ago but just couldn't get into it.

You need to get to season two and three before the Shield comparisons start making sense really, but it's the only other show that's given me the same kind of unbearable, heart-quickening, oh-poo poo-how-the-gently caress-are-they-going-to-get-out-of-this feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

GiantsDrink posted:

I've been looking for a new show and you guys have convinced me to give breaking bad another try. I watched the first 2-3 episodes a long time ago but just couldn't get into it.

You are in for a treat my friend.

Junkenstein posted:

You need to get to season two and three before the Shield comparisons start making sense really, but it's the only other show that's given me the same kind of unbearable, heart-quickening, oh-poo poo-how-the-gently caress-are-they-going-to-get-out-of-this feeling.

Agreed. And I know I'm in a Shield thread so I'm probably going to be hated for this, but I think Breaking Bad does it even better, at least so far.

Conquieftador
Feb 10, 2009

Don't clench.

GiantsDrink posted:

There are some slower episodes but Walt keeps you on your toes. Stick with it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, I am very excited, as I haven't seen any Breaking Bad, aside from the pilot episode's opening with the RV. I love knowing before i start that I'm getting into a super-crazy show.

If it's MORE intense than The Shield, well holy gently caress.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, I am very excited, as I haven't seen any Breaking Bad, aside from the pilot episode's opening with the RV. I love knowing before i start that I'm getting into a super-crazy show.

If it's MORE intense than The Shield, well holy gently caress.

It's not always more intense than The Shield, like someone above said, it has it's slower episodes. But for me I think the characters are slightly more fleshed out in Breaking Bad, probably as a result of those slower eps, which makes it more intense when you get to those heart-pounding episodes.

That's just my two cents though.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I tried Breaking Bad. I got about 3 episodes in. It just didn't grab me but I'll give it another chance someday.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I actually just picked Breaking Bad up the other day and finished the first season last night. Needless to say Seasons 2 and 3 will be in my hands very soon. I can see the comparisons with The Shield, but it also reminds me of Dexter in a lot of ways. That is, with Dexter and Breaking (so far that I've seen), the protagonist has one major type of sin that they are continually avoiding getting caught on, and are otherwise this forgettable everyday person that nobody looks at twice. Vic on the other hand needs an entire wiki site devoted to the poo poo he's done, and he doesn't have that binary persona of good guy / bad guy, just bad guy / bit of an rear end in a top hat guy.

Anyway I do like the show. I think the only thing it suffers from is too narrow of a story line, or rather, side plots don't come up often and are only short beats compared to the main storyline. Because of that it's kind of easy to predict when the main character will next run into trouble. But maybe that was a first season symptom. It's still a good show either way.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
As a Chiklis fan, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like it better than the original that they're spoofing, but I used to see Chiklis as sexy, after seeing him in a diaper I don't think I can say that anymore.

http://tosh.comedycentral.com/blog/2011/04/06/not-the-cutest-argument-ever/?xrs=synd_facebook

As an aside, I love Breaking Bad, aside from a few nitpicks. The first time I watched it through, I was pretty engrossed by it.

when worlds collide fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 11, 2011

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I am nearly done with Season 3, and have one minor gripe in what has otherwise been an amazing loving show. ~Minor Deadwood Season 1 spoilers within~ I feel like the show started off with Vic as an absolute villain with him shooting a new cop in the face over suspicions of reporting to Aceveda. His actions since that incident haven't really made sense, cops like Julian/Claudette/Danny have been discovered going to higher-ups and reporting on the Strike Team, and while obviously Vic can't just kill them all like Terry, his reactions have been much more measured and calm. Maybe this was done on purpose, sorta like how Al Swearengen was introduced as a villain in Deadwood with his killing of Alma's husband, and later seasons slowly made him into a more sympathetic figure, to the point where you start rooting for him. But still, somehow Vic's killing of Terry is just really, really extreme compared to anything else he has done in the show since, and after watching 3 seasons I feel like the pilot doesn't really...fit.

Also, the Season 2 finale with the Strike Team just solemnly staring at the enormous pile of money and wondering what to do with, so loving perfect, especially with the soundtrack choice. God I love this show.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 10, 2011

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Pron on VHS posted:

I am nearly done with Season 3, and have one minor gripe in what has otherwise been an amazing loving show. ~Minor Deadwood Season 1 spoilers within~ I feel like the show started off with Vic as an absolute villain with him shooting a new cop in the face over suspicions of reporting to Aceveda. His actions since that incident haven't really made sense, cops like Julian/Claudette/Danny have been discovered going to higher-ups and reporting on the Strike Team, and while obviously Vic can't just kill them all like Terry, his reactions have been much more measured and calm. Maybe this was done on purpose, sorta like how Al Swearengen was introduced as a villain in Deadwood with his killing of Alma's husband, and later seasons slowly made him into a more sympathetic figure, to the point where you start rooting for him. But still, somehow Vic's killing of Terry is just really, really extreme compared to anything else he has done in the show since, and after watching 3 seasons I feel like the pilot doesn't really...fit.

The creators have said that if they had to do it all over again Vic would have shot Terry at the middle or end of season 1 but they needed a real punch to sell the pilot.

In a perfect world the FX executives would have seen the awesome of the show right off the bat but they needed something that screamed THIS MAN IS BAD!

Edit: I like to imagine there was a Season 0 and that the pilot is actually the finale of that season.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 10, 2011

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gangringo posted:

The creators have said that if they had to do it all over again Vic would have shot Terry at the middle or end of season 1 but they needed a real punch to sell the pilot.

In a perfect world the FX executives would have seen the awesome of the show right off the bat but they needed something that screamed THIS MAN IS BAD!

Edit: I like to imagine there was a Season 0 and that the pilot is actually the finale of that season.

Even though as a character Vick pretty much tries to intimidate, manipulate or blackmail people before going down the extreme violence solution.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Pron on VHS posted:

His actions since that incident haven't really made sense, cops like Julian/Claudette/Danny have been discovered going to higher-ups and reporting on the Strike Team, and while obviously Vic can't just kill them all like Terry, his reactions have been much more measured and calm. [/spoiler]
That's different, cause he sees the Strike Team as a family and Terry being a rat is way more personal because he is supposed to be one of the guys, not just any old cop. They have each others backs and rely on eachother to a higher level than they rely on regular cops.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

niethan posted:

That's different, cause he sees the Strike Team as a family and Terry being a rat is way more personal because he is supposed to be one of the guys, not just any old cop. They have each others backs and rely on eachother to a higher level than they rely on regular cops.

Terry thinks he's just gonna stab me and my team in the back? He's gonna play with my kids one day and put their father in jail the next? For what? Being the one goddamn cop in this town that actually does anything to make it a safer place to grow up? That smug son of a bitch thinks he's gonna rise up the ladder with pencil pushing bosses--walking over on.... a flaming bridge of good cops he's burned... while those animals out there rip this city apart. He really thinks he gets to come in here and destroy both of MY families for his goddamn career? ...Not while I'm still breathing.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Just finished Possible Kill Screen, easily one of the best episodes of television I've ever watched. Time for the finale.

I really loving hate Vic right now since it seems like he really doesn't have any plan to save Gardocki's rear end. Hopefully that changes, oh god I hope he doesn't die :ohdear:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Holy Calamity! posted:

Time for the finale.
We'll see you on the other side.

Also, I'll re-link this great interview with the show's creator (it's linked in the thread a few times). Don't read it unless you finish the series, but it's a great post-mortem of the show and finale.

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/11/shield-shawn-ryan-post-finale-q.html

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Just got back season 1 after a long-term loan to a friend. There are some pretty rough spots I glossed over in my memory. Aceveda's warrant sweeps day where the lobby is swamped with perps turning themselves in after just a call from Vic? The old cop at registration who retires even after Aceveda assures him that he's the chief's MVP (Most Valuable Police-officer)? Ugh.

On the other hand, there's some seriously funny stuff too.

"We're all gonna crash and burn because of you. I mean, Christ dude, Amy's not even that hot!"

Regarding the contents of Margos' apartment:

"3 cans of herring, 6 cases of microwave popcorn...no microwave!"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

On the other hand, there's some seriously funny stuff too.

"We're all gonna crash and burn because of you. I mean, Christ dude, Amy's not even that hot!"
"

Shane just lets a body part with no brain make decisions too often.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

etalian posted:

Shane just lets a body part with no brain make decisions too often.

It's not even his dick a lot of the time. He's just dumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sometimes you can see Vic just pull up short as he tries to comprehend just how Shane can be so monumentally stupid, like when he finds out that Shane put down "Cletus Van Damme" on a storage locker - a locker that contains money stolen from the Armenian mob, the same mob that Shane identified himself to a member as "Cletus Van Damme"! :doh:

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Vic: questions the leader of one gang suspected of instigating a war with another gang, learns he was busy watching his sick baby and almost connects with him on a personal level

Shane: gets pissed off at gang leader's friend, shouts racial epithets, kicks him in the balls, pisses on him in the middle of a well populated street

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drewsky posted:

Vic-like crazy violence with the calculating/planning part

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

etalian posted:

Vic-like crazy violence with the calculating/planning part

I assume you mean without and yeah I absolutely agree with you. Except, as I think has been discussed in this thread before, he has more of a heart and conscience about the crimes than Vic does in most situations. Shane really is the little brother just trying to live up and gain approval of Vic, he's just got one hell of a big brother to live up to.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just finished the final few episodes and I don't even know who I feel bad for the most. Good lord. This show is one of the few shows that actually made me feel terrible for characters in a television show.

Don't mouse over these if you haven't finished all the seasons but:

* What happens to Tavon
* Dutch randomly strangling a cat
* Shanes apology to Lem in the state he's in
* Shanes final scene
* How Ronnie ends up
* Vic actually making it through relatively unscathed

All moments that genuinely shocked me. There are a ton more over the course of the seven seasons but those were the ones that stood out the most.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just finished the final few episodes and I don't even know who I feel bad for the most. Good lord. This show is one of the few shows that actually made me feel terrible for characters in a television show.

Don't mouse over these if you haven't finished all the seasons but:

* What happens to Tavon
* Dutch randomly strangling a cat
* Shanes apology to Lem in the state he's in
* Shanes final scene
* How Ronnie ends up
* Vic actually making it through relatively unscathed

All moments that genuinely shocked me. There are a ton more over the course of the seven seasons but those were the ones that stood out the most.

Dutch randomly strangling a cat - that's not a random act. He does it specifically as a result of his interrogation of the "cuddler rapist."

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

foobar posted:

Dutch randomly strangling a cat - that's not a random act. He does it specifically as a result of his interrogation of the "cuddler rapist."

And I remember him connecting well with a serial killer several episodes later because of the experience.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
Bit of a mistake or plot hole I picked up from the finale on the second watch through

When Vic goes to the barn for the final time he gets the stink eye from everyone presumably because they've been informed that he killed Terry and other such misdeeds. It's a powerful scene and seems to have been added to show the gravity of what Vic has done and how his cultivated image has been irreparably damaged. The only problem with this is that for EVERYONE in the barn to know and yet somehow Ronnie not know seems fairly unlikely. It is against character that Claudette and Dutch would spread the word and risk Ronnie finding out and going on the run, so how would everyone know. And you'd have to imagine that a fair number of people would be skeptical enough to let Vic or Ronnie know what was being said.

The only other way around it is that Vic is getting the cold shoulder due to giving up his badge and Shane's death, but that doesn't ring true to me

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
It's more about the fact that it is now COMMON knowledge that the Strike Team was way dirtier than they believed. They don't have the details of Vic's confession but the fact that Shane tried to kill Vic, went on the lam and then killed himself and his family is probably what hangs in the air. Vic justified his acts the same way the other cops and viewers did - he always did more good than harm but there is no good to be rationalized with a disgraced cop, his wife, little boy and unborn daughter all dead. Plus they KNOW he was hunting them to kill them because the word of his arrest outside the hospital days before definitely got around.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Drewsky posted:

I wouldn't say Shane is "dumb" just that he always puts himself first and has really poor judgement on things because of his selfishness. A great, great character.

Conquieftador
Feb 10, 2009

Don't clench.
One thing I took from this show is that Vic made the .357 Desert Eagle look a lot more manly.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
wow...it wasn't exactly a gun for pussies to begin with.

Mr. Sloth
Jun 5, 2004

GIMME DEM PIZZA PIES

Dead Snoopy posted:

It's more about the fact that it is now COMMON knowledge that the Strike Team was way dirtier than they believed. They don't have the details of Vic's confession but the fact that Shane tried to kill Vic, went on the lam and then killed himself and his family is probably what hangs in the air. Vic justified his acts the same way the other cops and viewers did - he always did more good than harm but there is no good to be rationalized with a disgraced cop, his wife, little boy and unborn daughter all dead. Plus they KNOW he was hunting them to kill them because the word of his arrest outside the hospital days before definitely got around.

Plus, they had the contents of Shane's suicide letter pretty much implicating and putting weight behind the fact that they were dirty all along, too. The details of the letter would be juicy conversation amongst uni's in the Barn I would think.

Conquieftador
Feb 10, 2009

Don't clench.

Dead Snoopy posted:

wow...it wasn't exactly a gun for pussies to begin with.

May be not. But it also isn't the gun for serious folk neither. Vic helped that out a bit as well.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Lurchibles posted:

I wouldn't say Shane is "dumb" just that he always puts himself first and has really poor judgement on things because of his selfishness. A great, great character.

No, I think he's an excellent character, but I would still stand by my statement about him being dumb. I mean he's all the things you mentioned, plus he's a racist. Nuff said.

I still kinda like him though.

And I know Vic more for his silver .45 than the desert eagle.

Conquieftador
Feb 10, 2009

Don't clench.

Drewsky posted:

No, I think he's an excellent character, but I would still stand by my statement about him being dumb. I mean he's all the things you mentioned, plus he's a racist. Nuff said.

I still kinda like him though.

And I know Vic more for his silver .45 than the desert eagle.

No doubt he made that S&W look good.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

I know that the writers were constantly developing the story as things progressed, and while they may have had some vague ideas of what was coming up, they weren't looking 1 or 2 (or 5) whole seasons into the future. Still, the early seasons have some pretty poignant moments that only show up on a re-watch.

Season 2: Partners
"Shane, when we retire, we're gonna play golf together every day."

"I've never played golf before."

"I'll teach you."

"I'd really like that."

:cry:

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

:cry:

Didn't end up quite like they expected...

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Lurchibles posted:

90% of the time, I agree with you. The other 10% is when the poo poo buries the fan and Vic's not around/can't step up and then Shane shines. He's the one that volunteers to unfuck the mess and carry the weight on his shoulders if he gets caught. He does it unhesitatingly and he means it.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Smorgasbord posted:

The page 19 one is hilarious to me to think about just how unfortunate this poor sheltered person would have to be to randomly be flicking channels and just happen upon that paticular scene out of every channel on television and every episode of the show. Of course I understand that's not how it would have happened at all but it's amusing for me to pretend it was.

Unrelated to the show, but I always used to put on this one CD by Tricky when my friends came over because it was mellow and cool, but for some reason the conversation would always lull at this ONE part where this girl sings "I'll gently caress you in the rear end just for a laugh" and everyone would stare at me and be like what the gently caress are we listening to.. But it's the only part of the cd that's like that, its just this duet where they switch gender roles is all.

On a related note finally got around to watching this show. Finished Season 3 last night. loving awesome show. Fantastic. I'm sad I didn't watch it earlier, but happy that there's more to watch.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
forgive me if this has been stated but I'm on the 5th season now, on "Shocked" right near the end, thing is I don't have season 6 or 7 readily available. Are they on Netflix instant stream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conquieftador
Feb 10, 2009

Don't clench.
Last I checked they were not. The do have some of the later episodes on 7 I believe on FX.com

• Locked thread