Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
There's no testing, so a lot of competitors are absolutely on the Bombas. Gi Jiu-jitsu has a pretty high strength v. power requirement, and plenty of guys are looking for any way to get out of the favela. They're going to dose, and probably in unsafe and impure ways. Off the top of my head Alliance and Atos have had some accusations and they're who Caio was mainly talking about, but it's all over the place. If I found out that, say, Pablo Popavitch's whole team was on gear I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
PAblo Popovitch's physique shames even Alistair's magnificent body.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

imtheism posted:

Passes looked good. Sweeps were pretty good.

Only thing I really saw was that you hung out on the back too long when he started to beat it. As soon as he's out of RNC position you need to be scrambling to stay on top, so he doesn't spin and end up in your guard.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be competing on the 23rd as well. And as far you guys earlier were discussing wearing cups, I've only ever used the Shock Doctor compression shorts with the slot for the cup. It took awhile to get used to, but I am fine with it and does not seem to get in the way. It's much nicer than always getting that ever elusive knee to the groin by "accident."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fawker posted:

PAblo Popovitch's physique shames even Alistair's magnificent body.

Hate to be a hater but yes I have serious doubts Pablo is anywhere near natural. More jacked than a greek statue.

Funny story: My old instructor was there when that guy died, he didn't really know what was going on, just that some guy died in his bjj match. There was mass confusion and people were pretty freaked out. Right after everything settled down he was on deck to compete, His opponent: Jacare.

I quote, "Now, of course, everyone knows that jacare is a top 5 grappler, but at the time he was not famous, so it was like a train came pretty much out of nowhere. Near the end of the match, I thought to myself, hmmm maybe there will be two deaths today."

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug
I need pictures or video of attacks from the cortx-guard. I too am creepily flexible, and I learned a new attack from that position tonight. I suck at both explaining and drawing, so I need the exhaustive cortx-guard submission list.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

platero posted:

I need pictures or video of attacks from the cortx-guard. I too am creepily flexible, and I learned a new attack from that position tonight. I suck at both explaining and drawing, so I need the exhaustive cortx-guard submission list.

I had a whole list that I was working on but I lost it. There's a lot of poo poo you can do from the bottom of side control though if you've got the flexibility.

I mostly catch the inverted triangle.
There's a set-up I use where I americana their arm closest to my hip, using my leg closest to their hip. The leg goes over their shoulder and I hook the forearm with my foot, using it as a hook. That can open up their neck for my other leg to go over, then they've either gotten their arm free or I've let it go, but it doesn't matter because that's the point I switch to locking in the triangle.
You can also use that foot americana thing as a sweep (or a submission if they refuse to turn over). Works great with a gi for better wrist control using your hands too. You've also got to make the guy carry your weight and control his hips. Basics always apply even during zany gimmick moves.

I started off just catching the triangle when a guy would be hooking my leg like a wrestling pin. I'd push his head under the leg and get the triangle that way. When guys weren't tying up my legs with their arms, I figured I could tie up their arms with my legs and get the same result.

Other than the inverted triangle I use the cobra twist as a sweep a LOT. Throw your far leg all the way over their back and get the hook with it. Most of the time your arm will already be in the correct position. Just don't hook your arms together and crank. Instead roll over like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-PisdtFFk

I loving love throwing up the triangle from the cobra twist too. I hooked it a bit differently in the video 'cause I just happened to have my right leg in that position, but normally from that side I'd have my left leg doing the hooking at the hip, escape my right leg all the way back over her leg like I was going back to guard or to take the back, then throw the right leg all the way up over their left shoulder and then lock in a triangle that way.
They'll be focusing on getting back to facing the ground, to avoid giving up mount, and pressuring you to go to your back anyway, so they're not expecting the triangle. The defense of the sweep opens up the triangle opportunity.

I just noticed the arm isn't hooked in the full cobra twist either in that video, because she had her arm around my neck. If it was underhooked like it'd usually be if they were in a full established side control, I'd have the full cobra twist hooked in.

Other than that there's crazy poo poo like rings of saturn, secret moves and Koji clutches, and the move that got me a talking to, the omoplata from bottom side control.

Bottom side control attacks depend on minor details like any other move though. There will be times when you can't do them, but that's why you have regular things like working to regain guard.

I still feel weird shooting "instructional" videos. But I'm trying to record more rolling footage, so maybe these moves will come about that way.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Ever since seeing that video of CortX doing the inverted kicks, I've been wanting to see more footage. I would watch you grapple all day (no homo)

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Other than the inverted triangle I use the cobra twist as a sweep a LOT. Throw your far leg all the way over their back and get the hook with it. Most of the time your arm will already be in the correct position. Just don't hook your arms together and crank. Instead roll over like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H-PisdtFFk

maybe i'm missing something here but that video starts in guard and looks like it would only work if the person allows you to get an underhook with your left arm. i guess i'm asking how it relates to or works from under side control? (against a person of equal skill)

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

the periodic fable posted:

maybe i'm missing something here but that video starts in guard and looks like it would only work if the person allows you to get an underhook with your left arm. i guess i'm asking how it relates to or works from under side control? (against a person of equal skill)

She was passing my guard and I caught it on a transition. If she was all the way past my guard, I'd still be able to throw my leg over like that and get the hook.

It actually works better if they have the underhook, 'cause that leaves your arm in position for the cobra twist.

I catch it on people my size and experience level all the time.

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 14, 2011

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
I've never done that but the whatever (wrestler's guillotine) comes up an awful lot from rolling back take attempts, which I do like a lot. I think it's a twister roll to Bravo, I guess Lloyd Irvin calls it a ninja roll, Ryan Hall calls it the crotch lock and roll but generally I don't actually look for a crotch lock before looking for the back.

Are you shooting for side control when you use that sweep CXB or do you look for the twist or what's the ideal result?

Here's the roll from a side control setup but I use it as much to reset back control or sitting up out of half guard or sort of out of deep half sweeps, I don't think I've ever tried to get the lock out of it.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

Grab Your Foot! posted:

I've never done that but the whatever (wrestler's guillotine) comes up an awful lot from rolling back take attempts, which I do like a lot. I think it's a twister roll to Bravo, I guess Lloyd Irvin calls it a ninja roll, Ryan Hall calls it the crotch lock and roll but generally I don't actually look for a crotch lock before looking for the back.

Are you shooting for side control when you use that sweep CXB or do you look for the twist or what's the ideal result?

Here's the roll from a side control setup but I use it as much to reset back control or sitting up out of half guard or sort of out of deep half sweeps, I don't think I've ever tried to get the lock out of it.

Ideal result is I get out from the bottom of side control. Either I take the back, switch to a triangle, get mount, or get side control. At the least I get back to my guard.

I've seen that move in the video, but for me I'd rather just go to mount then put their leg in a position where they might just scoot out and go back to a base and put me on the bottom in half guard. I might be comfortable there but I still feel like it's a better move to go to mount then try a wacky ninja roll, as much as I love wacky ninja rolls.

Now once I get to the mount I might throw an omoplata. So maybe it's just that I don't like that setup for some reason. I just don't see it really working for me personally. If I'm outside of the area between a guys legs, I don't want to put any part of me back in there. Some guys love using hooks like that and it works for them. I feel like it's just personal preference.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Yeah, the roll from side control doesn't get a lot of mileage, it's more of an opportunistic thing. Part of the difference probably comes from our positional preferences; my mount is terrible, particularly without a gi, and I love working from the back so I'm willing to go to some lengths to get there. My half guard passing and half guard sweeps are both strengths so leaving the leg in isn't a huge concern.

It comes up more coming out the back out of a waiter sweep or something, you end up in the cobra twist position and depending on leg position you may have to reroll if you want a shot at the back, I've posted this before but kind of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJT_PgVgPY

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yeah I really like it from the way he pulls if off on Hermes there

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
That Ryan Hall roll to Hermes`back was slick as hell.

CortX, was that your daughter exclaiming "awesome!" as you swept your wife? :3

Ryan Hall is gonna be grappling at the UFC Fan Expo in Toronto in a couple weeks, he's got a superfight with Jorge Britto, Im super pumped to be able to see it :)

fawker fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 15, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

She was passing my guard and I caught it on a transition. If she was all the way past my guard, I'd still be able to throw my leg over like that and get the hook.

It actually works better if they have the underhook, 'cause that leaves your arm in position for the cobra twist.

I catch it on people my size and experience level all the time.

but if she's passed all the way to side control wouldn't the leg you wanted to hook be the one nearer to your head? are you actually able to to reach and hook that leg from a proper side control? maybe i'm just not flexible enough to even imagine it. i don't suppose you have a video of it?

edit: basically it seems to me more like something you could catch from under scarf hold because then at least you'd have the right leg closer to yours

edit 2: yeah thinking more about it i guess this is where your flexibility comes into play

Opal fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 15, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
what, what is this with the ridiculous twisting and...uh..uh funny zhapes? I am most ashamed, my friend. Go do ten ahmbahrs and think about what zhoo have done.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

fawker posted:

CortX, was that your daughter exclaiming "awesome!" as you swept your wife? :3

hahahaha it was my roommate's daughter as I swept my girlfriend. Luckily I have no children, I just get to help train one. She went through the armbar/omoplata/triangle trifecta on her dad one time and I hadn't even taught her that, she just saw me do it a lot I guess. She's 4.

the periodic fable posted:

but if she's passed all the way to side control wouldn't the leg you wanted to hook be the one nearer to your head? are you actually able to to reach and hook that leg from a proper side control? maybe i'm just not flexible enough to even imagine it. i don't suppose you have a video of it?

edit: basically it seems to me more like something you could catch from under scarf hold because then at least you'd have the right leg closer to yours

edit 2: yeah thinking more about it i guess this is where your flexibility comes into play

Yeah it's the leg closer to their head that goes all the way around their body and gets a hook on the other side. I'll get a video of it from a proper side control

Part of it is still basics, escaping enough to get it all the way over. It's just for when you can't get enough space to get your close knee in. (Hopefully that appeases Rickson)

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 15, 2011

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Did a tournament today. In my last match, I hit the Minowaman rolling single takedown. Unfortunately he snatched up an omoplata and ended up submitting me with the Rings of Saturn. It was pretty much the most fun match I've ever had.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Bohemian nights, did you wrestle @ NY open? Just saw on Facebook my boy Rafa took 3rd. Let us know!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I did not compete, no. I didn't sign up because I had two weeks of midterms up until this week (almost no training, just constant reading) and just didn't feel ready. Also a supreme lack of confidence in my own abilities to perform in competition. In the end it was a good thing, because I couldn't have competed anyway until the LIQUID NITROGEN BURNS from the MC I picked up heals-- but I was there cheering on teammates all day! Several gold, silvers and bronze to MG academy!
Paul and Enrique (two of the black belt instructors) got gold and silver respectively, and several other dudes of all belts went away with pretty medals too.

e; also sprained my wrist earlier in the week. I have so many excuses not to compete. I can do this all day.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 17, 2011

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Death Bucket posted:

Did a tournament today. In my last match, I hit the Minowaman rolling single takedown. Unfortunately he snatched up an omoplata and ended up submitting me with the Rings of Saturn. It was pretty much the most fun match I've ever had.

Please tell me there is a video of this.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Two guys from my gym went to the NY open. I know one of them took first in his division and the other I don't really care about (He's a dickhead). I really wanted to go but its expensive as hell and I don't have that kind of money to spend at the moment. :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Spectator attendance is just $15, but competing was like $120, yeah. The price seems kind of stiff, but it was a very tightly run ship, and it (almost) pretty much ran on time throughout the entire thing, which I've never seen in a tournament before.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Spectator attendance is just $15, but competing was like $120, yeah. The price seems kind of stiff, but it was a very tightly run ship, and it (almost) pretty much ran on time throughout the entire thing, which I've never seen in a tournament before.
IBJJF tournaments are run really well especially compared to every other clownshow out there.

They are however extremely strict. One of my instructors was at Pan Ams one year and got dq'd for weighing in one pound over on the competition scale although the gym in the locker room showed him right at the limit. He was denied a reweigh even though he's a well known and well regarded grappler under the GB lineage and also happens to have the last name Gracie. However, I'd much rather have that strictness than just give him a pass with a wink and nod because of who he is.

Other stuff that has gotten guys dq'd or threatened with dq include not wearing underwear (Bill Cooper lost in the finals of the Mundials brown belt absolute for this after he got his pants pulled down exposing himself), attacking your opponent after losing a match (Samuel Braga lost a silver medal for this), wrong colored belt (Koral purple belts are too light and so people were forced to change to a darker belt but I don't think anyone was actually dq'd), etc. IBJJF runs a relatively tight ship.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I competed in the no gi pan ams back in October and overall it was a decent experience. It ran a little off schedule and I sat around in the crowded bullpin for a while after they called my division, but that should really be expected for a tournament that big and other than that I thought it was run relatively well.

poo poo like this, however, pisses me off.

Yuns posted:

wrong colored belt (Koral purple belts are too light and so people were forced to change to a darker belt but I don't think anyone was actually dq'd), etc.

Really? The color of the belt is in question. Not the actual material of the belt, they are knit picking over the shade of the color on the belt. Its silly and its clearly geared to force competitors to spend more money at their tournaments.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

MycroftXXX posted:

Really? The color of the belt is in question. Not the actual material of the belt, they are knit picking over the shade of the color on the belt. Its silly and its clearly geared to force competitors to spend more money at their tournaments.
It's a little silly but no one was actually spending money because of that. And I am pretty sure that the IBJJF wasn't even selling belts here. Competitors were just borrowing belts.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Yuns posted:

Other stuff that has gotten guys dq'd or threatened with dq include not wearing underwear (Bill Cooper lost in the finals of the Mundials brown belt absolute for this after he got his pants pulled down exposing himself), attacking your opponent after losing a match (Samuel Braga lost a silver medal for this), wrong colored belt (Koral purple belts are too light and so people were forced to change to a darker belt but I don't think anyone was actually dq'd), etc. IBJJF runs a relatively tight ship.

DQ (showed dick)

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I was wondering if anyone would mind helping a white belt figure out a D'Arce choke. My impression is that the opponent's own arm (or shoulder?) puts the choking pressure on one side of the neck. If his arm is over his face instead of under his chin, I can create an ineffective half-choke while his arm presses against his face very uncomfortably, but that's all; not even a real neck crank. I doubt it's enough to get a reliable submission.

But I can't figure out how to manipulate his arm or head position to improve the situation. I had some limited success pushing his head up with my non-choking hand, hoping to elevate his chin so his arm would fall into place. But it seems like if I tried to do this live, he'd escape easily because I was fooling around with that hand instead of securing the figure-4. Is that right, or should I be able to prevent his escape for a while using my body weight, and/or am I approaching this all wrong?

Incidentally, I was transitioning into this from a back-control escape (pull his elbow out from around my head and maintain control of it, get his hooks off and move my rear end sideways, then shoot the choke). But I would guess this doesn't much affect the answers to my previous questions.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 18, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

McNerd posted:

I was wondering if anyone would mind helping a white belt figure out a D'Arce choke. My impression is that the opponent's own arm (or shoulder?) puts the choking pressure on one side of the neck. If his arm is over his face instead of under his chin, I can create an ineffective half-choke while his arm presses against his face very uncomfortably, but that's all; not even a real neck crank. I doubt it's enough to get a reliable submission.

But I can't figure out how to manipulate his arm or head position to improve the situation. I had some limited success pushing his head up with my non-choking hand, hoping to elevate his chin so his arm would fall into place. But it seems like if I tried to do this live, he'd escape easily because I was fooling around with that hand instead of securing the figure-4. Is that right, or should I be able to prevent his escape for a while using my body weight, and/or am I approaching this all wrong?

Incidentally, I was transitioning into this from a back-control escape (pull his elbow out from around my head and maintain control of it, get his hooks off and move my rear end sideways, then shoot the choke). But I would guess this doesn't much affect the answers to my previous questions.
I always repeat myself that your instructor is always the best person to ask since he can see what you are doing and correct you. It's really tough to advise you from a text description and you don't even know the bona fides of the people giving you advice so take everything online with a grain of salt.

Number one, I'm just not picturing your transition from that back escape to the brabo. Typically the brabo is done from top half guard/side control type positions. Usually your opponent is trying to underhook you and you r choking arm keeps tight control of that arm, However, as you come up onto an opponent after sliding out of back control your body position is usually wrong for the brabo.

Anyway, you do not push your opponents head up, you pull it inwards. As your opponent tries to underhook you or otherwise bring his top arm across his body, drop your shoulder of the arm closer to his legs/the arm he is trying to underhook. This action of dropping the shoulder makes it so you can dig your arm in deeper and drive it under the lower side of his neck and use your hand to cup the back of his head. (You can use your free hand to pull the head slightly up off the mat and inward to make getting the choking arm deep easier but do not push the head away.) Use your other arm and get a gable grip at the back of your opponent's head and us it to torque his head inward so his chin gets closer to his chest. Now slide your other arm in deeper so that your choking hand remains at the back of your opponent's head but slides along your other arms forearm until it is gripping the bicep for the figure 4 and your sliding arm hand is against opponents top lat. Now bring your chin over opponent so that you head is over the back of his neck/head and bring your chest down on his trapped arm. Your legs can be in a number of positions but usually I'll keep my legs closer to his stomach.

Usually his arm position won't be an issue since he will be holding an underhook on you but even if he isn't, you can maintain proper position with chest pressure. If he brings his arm so far up that you can't get effective pressure on that side of his neck he will have his arm in a very vulnerable place above his head where he has limited strength mechanically and you can easily switch to something else.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Thanks for the help! I guess I won't know until I try again, but there seemed to be some useful information there.

Yuns posted:

Number one, I'm just not picturing your transition from that back escape to the brabo. Typically the brabo is done from top half guard/side control type positions. Usually your opponent is trying to underhook you and you r choking arm keeps tight control of that arm, However, as you come up onto an opponent after sliding out of back control your body position is usually wrong for the brabo.

This seemed kind of farfetched to me too, although really any submission that starts from back mount is probably not something I'll successfully pull off often. I'll be satisfied if I can do the D'Arce choke itself under different circumstances (and, of course, if I can execute the back-control escape itself).

But if you're interested, the idea in this transition seemed to be to get down low and slip his elbow (choking hand) over your head, pull it down into a useless position on the other side of your head, then maintain a tight gi grip on that elbow and push your weight against his arm and shoulder. I think the idea is that *if* you can keep him really immobilized (that arm in particular) while you get his hooks out, then you can turn your hips over and basically reach side control. You can shoot the choking arm through afterward or even at the same time as this.

All of this felt pretty smooth when I was drilling the move; it was only finishing the choke that was really hard. But again, I don't know if it's realistic to expect this kind of positional control when he has your back; I won't argue if you think this all seems a little unrealistic.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 18, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just one additional tip. Be careful executing that kind of escape. By sinking lower and passing his choking arm to the other side of your head you are inviting the transition to the armbar from back control.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WODZrnjBP8g&playnext=1&list=PLCC0D7FBE4DB12B11

Here's a 5 part Brabo / Darce instructional video, I tried for a long time to get it right and watching this video with practice helped a lot. I love this choke, it's replaced the triangle as my go to move, also it's really good for discouraging people from grabbing a leg, it's also grabbable from half guard on top and works nicely to discourage a couple esacapes from there.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
I love the d'arce choke. It's a sneaky versatile choke that has a wide variety of entries and finishes. Once you get good at it, it's really easy to start baiting people into it from so many positions, it's ridiculous. I've been getting it from side control, turtle position and I have a sneaky little entry that I've been working on that comes off of a sloppy armbar attempt from the mounted position. I still have a lot of issues getting it in the top half guard though. What I end up doing is giving guys the underhook and then doing the d'arce "uppercut" with the whizzer hand. Most guys figure out what I'm doing and end up blocking the hand that stuffs the head. Nice thing about that though is that when they do that, I usually just flatten them out and pass the half guard.

I still would like to make it a high percentage finish from the half guard position but for now, the mere threat of the d'arce allows me to shut down a lot of guys who play half guard.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Though brabos are most often used from top half guard, they are really tough to get against experienced bottom half guard players because they've seen it so much. My game is heavily half guard bottom based and I can't remember the last time I got a brabo applied to me successfully or unsuccessfully. Especially in the modern deep half game I think the brabo is tough to use.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, I rarely get it from the top half guard position. It's something I tend to use to force guys to react so I can pass. If I do get it from the half guard, it's because I got it on a guy who doesn't play half guard often and isn't accustomed to being attacked that way.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Well of course after posting that I can't remember the last time anyone got a brabo/d'arce on me, of course I get tapped by one this morning. Ooh that will teach me to post stuff like that.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Here's a video of a guy from BJJ weekly rolling with Marcelo Garcia.
AS A BONUS:
From the 1:00 minute mark to 1:50, something much more important is going on-- You can see me rolling VERY slow with the dude with the gray rashguard and black shorts. If I knew we were getting filmed I'd do something exciting~ alas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1KSBYmmxFo&feature=feedu

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
So cool :)
Have you ever rolled with Marcelo before? Whats it like rolling with one of the best guys in the world?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

fawker posted:

So cool :)
Have you ever rolled with Marcelo before? Whats it like rolling with one of the best guys in the world?

I have! Marcelo rolls with everyone when it's open mat. It's a mixture of humbling, impressive and depressing, because you're shown just how little you know and how incredibly far you have to go.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
For the last week or so my ribs have ached a little when I roll on my side to sleep; I figure it's probably from all these fat jerks sitting on me all the time. Is this pretty normal and my body will adjust, or should I take a little time off?

I figure it's probably nothing, but it's good to make sure.