Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

lou reed posted:

I don't know why she took Plan B... My first thought was that maybe everything wasn't taken properly/facts have been distorted over time, but then I figured, someone has to be that teeny tiny percentage, right? Then I wondered if the Plan B and Depo somehow managed to work against each other, but I don't know if that's possible... I don't do the hormone thing.

I'm guessing you're right on in thinking that there was distortion of facts. That, or incredibly bad luck.

Plan B and Depo wouldn't work against each other as they each contain a progestin. If anything, they would be additive in their effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
My SO, who is about to turn 29, is seeking options for birth control. She is around 5'7" and probably 110-120 lb or so. She doesn't smoke (and never has, barring one or two at a party a great once in a while), rarely drinks, has never given birth, and is not on any other regular medication at the moment AFAIK. She had a blood test just a few days ago and everything was fine, barring a slightly low Hgb (it was the first or second day of her period). I asked about her platelet count, which was around 217k (normal), so I can't imagine clotting is an issue. She bruises easily however, especially on her legs.

She has two conditions that seem to be contraindicated for many kinds of medication. She is also prone to very occasional seizures (her brother is a full-blown epileptic from the sound of it), a few each year I believe, although I don't think this is an issue with most BC and she is not taking any medication for it. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find out the specific names and/or causes of her conditions, and I'm translating what she tells me from a language other than English, but here is a description of them and some educated guesses to potentially narrow them down:

1. She has some form of arrythmia. She tells me it was described to her as multiple inputs of "some kind of fiber or nerve" that send out-of-sync signals to the heart, and was told by her doctor that she could be treated for it using metoprolol (a beta blocker) or have it permanently solved by "an operation where they burn these fibers off." A bit of wiki-ing suggests that this could be AV nodal reentrant tachycardia, which is more common in women than men, and it sort of matches up with her description of how she felt on the one or two times she noticed it happening. And the condition can indeed be treated using beta blockers or through some kind of cauterization/catherer ablation, which I imagine is probably the burning thing she referred to.

2. She has a problem with the blood flow in the veins (veins in the specific sense, not arteries) of her legs where they feel full, described to me as "the valve supposed to send the blood upward goes the other way around," which I can only take to mean varicose veins or some kind of chronic venous insufficiency. She tells me her doctor said that unlike how it is in most cases, the problematic vein is deeper within the leg and not close to the surface as is seen in typical varicose veins. It is not in any advanced stage and she barely ever talks about it.

I don't think either of the above are caused by or have caused actual clotting, and I don't think her blood is prone to clotting either.

I'm not quite sure how her medical thing works as I'm in a foreign country, but I think she saw a general practitioner who is tied to her school and gives similar prescriptions to a bunch of people each day. She was given the medication Yaz, but forgot to mention the above when asked if she had any circulatory problems. As I was doing some research to find out how soon it would really kick in, I noticed these warnings on many kinds of medication but especially Yaz.

Any suggestions? She was told by her doctor that no BC medications can be taken if she has arrythmia of any kind, but I'm not so sure about that and I imagine a school GP is probably used to high volumes of similar cases, is not paid very much, and might not have as much specific knowledge. I think a second opinion would be a good idea, but I also think it would be good to have some suggestions to jog the doctor's memory, especially if it's something new or not often prescribed. Mirena, which was mentioned on the first page, doesn't seem to have as many such side effects in the above areas when compared to Yaz, for instance.

cancelope fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 13, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I wouldn't gently caress around with those things. She needs to go back to her doctor (school GP or otherwise) and make sure her full medical history is discussed. If you and she both don't feel confident in the school doctors, go to a private practice. We really, really are not qualified to give that level of medical advice.

You *might* do better in The Goon Doctor, but the caveat of "Don't take medical advice from the internet" still applies big time.

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

asaf posted:

She has some form of arrythmia. She tells me it was described to her as multiple inputs of "some kind of fiber or nerve" that send out-of-sync signals to the heart, and was told by her doctor that she could be treated for it using metoprolol (a beta blocker) or have it permanently solved by "an operation where they burn these fibers off." A bit of wiki-ing suggests that this could be AV nodal reentrant tachycardia, which is more common in women than men, and it sort of matches up with her description of how she felt on the one or two times she noticed it happening. And the condition can indeed be treated using beta blockers or through some kind of cauterization/catherer ablation, which I imagine is probably the burning thing she referred to.

Certainly see a doctor, but I have a heart arrythmia and take metoprolol for it and have been on BC for 10 years now. No doctor has ever mentioned it being an issue.

Wastebasket
Apr 15, 2003

Ask me about reliving my virginity
I recently started on a POP BC pill. I normally have a cycle like clockwork, but I am about a week late. I am currently on the 4th pill of my second pack. I have used it perfectly, always taking the pill within 5 minutes of my normal time (10 PM). I am pretty much scared to death that I am pregnant, and honestly am dreading taking a pregnancy test.

My question is has anyone experienced these kind of side effects with POP birth control? I wasn't told about a cessation of my period when PP got me started. I am really freaking out. I know I should just bite the bullet and get the drat pregnancy test, but being pregnant right now would be just about the worst thing ever.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I did research and they do list it as a side effect, but it seemed to be rare based on their wording.

Wastebasket fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 14, 2011

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I was terrified when I had to do my first pee stick (an none too calm any of the other times, either) but just do it and get it over with so you'll know. Chances are, you're fine, but if you are pregnant the sooner you know the more options you can discuss.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Wastebasket posted:

I recently started on a POP BC pill. I normally have a cycle like clockwork, but I am about a week late. I am currently on the 4th pill of my second pack. I have used it perfectly, always taking the pill within 5 minutes of my normal time (10 PM). I am pretty much scared to death that I am pregnant, and honestly am dreading taking a pregnancy test.

My question is has anyone experienced these kind of side effects with POP birth control? I wasn't told about a cessation of my period when PP got me started. I am really freaking out. I know I should just bite the bullet and get the drat pregnancy test, but being pregnant right now would be just about the worst thing ever.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I did research and they do list it as a side effect, but it seemed to be rare based on their wording.

When I first started I skipped my second period and it freaked me right the gently caress out, but then I learned that for a lot of people the first few months are not regular at all because their bodies are still getting used to it. Also freaking out about it doesn't help, apparently. Most likely it's just your body saying "wtf is going on here", but get a test if you're nervous.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

ilysespieces posted:

for a lot of people the first few months are not regular at all because their bodies are still getting used to it.

Quoting this for emphasis. If you've been taking your pill on time and not vomiting it up or anything, it's highly unlikely that you're pregnant. And, as ilysespieces suggested, stressing about your period being late can actually make it later!

eta: If I understand correctly, you have had your placebo week and are now back into active pills, yes? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get a proper period till the next placebo week. Take a pregnancy test to calm your nerves, but it will be okay.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Eggplant Wizard posted:

eta: If I understand correctly, you have had your placebo week and are now back into active pills, yes? If so, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get a proper period till the next placebo week. Take a pregnancy test to calm your nerves, but it will be okay.

POPs don't have a placebo week, so its even more likely your body is just going "WTF?" without the placebo week to kickstart a period.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Changes in your menstrual cycle (including not getting your period at all) are an EXTREMELY common side effect of any progestin only birth control method.

Take the pregnancy test for peace of mind, but stop worrying. If you've taken the pill properly then you are fine!

This is not even a "your body getting used to it" thing. In all likelihood you will not have a normal period cycle while on POPs. It was really stupid of your PP not to mention this as a side effect.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

The Baroness posted:

Certainly see a doctor, but I have a heart arrythmia and take metoprolol for it and have been on BC for 10 years now. No doctor has ever mentioned it being an issue.

Yeah, I had the same arrhythmia that this woman has (reentrant tachycardia) and no one ever said anything to me about avoiding hormonal birth control. I was on metoprolol for a while there too, along with a calcium channel blocker.

If she ever gets the chance to do it, the ablation procedure isn't bad. I had it done about 6 years ago and I've never had an episode of tachycardia since. Of course I don't know how that would work with her other medical conditions so she'd need to talk it over first.

Overall I think she needs to talk to her doctor or get a second opinion or something. Her situation is a little beyond this thread I think.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Bagleworm posted:

POPs don't have a placebo week, so its even more likely your body is just going "WTF?" without the placebo week to kickstart a period.

I am the worst OP :emo:

Wastebasket
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks for your reassurance guys! I really needed it! I agree it was a really bad idea for PP to not mention it at all, but all I really got was a piece of paper with how to properly take it and the small booklet that came with the pills that didn't mention that I could miss it totally.

Now, I just need to get my husband to get a test for me on his way home from work, without HIM flipping out.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Wastebasket posted:

Thanks for your reassurance guys! I really needed it! I agree it was a really bad idea for PP to not mention it at all, but all I really got was a piece of paper with how to properly take it and the small booklet that came with the pills that didn't mention that I could miss it totally.

Now, I just need to get my husband to get a test for me on his way home from work, without HIM flipping out.

I've been on a mini-pill for 8yrs now, and eventually you just get used to irregular/new cycles (since it's not like combination pills which can regulate your cycle). My body ended up self-regulating to about 1 period every 3mo, with only two instances of spotting over that 8yr span. The only time it ever really skipped off that cycle was if I was late with a pill (once in a great while my phone alarm would flake out & I'd remember to take it a couple hours late) or if I hit a very high stress week. I still get warning signs of oncoming period 2 days beforehand (and an "enjoy your morning" warning the night before), so I never found it bothersome. I miss out on being able to force a period skip, but at least I don't have to deal with unwanted side effects like I had with combination pills.

If it really gets to you, you can always use condoms for the first few months that way you don't stress out about pregnancy, and it might give your body some stress-free time to decide if it wants to fall into a new predictable cycle or not. Like others have said, stressing will only throw your body off more.

Wastebasket
Apr 15, 2003

IdeoPhanthus posted:

I've been on a mini-pill for 8yrs now, and eventually you just get used to irregular/new cycles (since it's not like combination pills which can regulate your cycle). My body ended up self-regulating to about 1 period every 3mo, with only two instances of spotting over that 8yr span. The only time it ever really skipped off that cycle was if I was late with a pill (once in a great while my phone alarm would flake out & I'd remember to take it a couple hours late) or if I hit a very high stress week. I still get warning signs of oncoming period 2 days beforehand (and an "enjoy your morning" warning the night before), so I never found it bothersome. I miss out on being able to force a period skip, but at least I don't have to deal with unwanted side effects like I had with combination pills.

If it really gets to you, you can always use condoms for the first few months that way you don't stress out about pregnancy, and it might give your body some stress-free time to decide if it wants to fall into a new predictable cycle or not. Like others have said, stressing will only throw your body off more.

Well, I took the test and it's negative. So, I can just realize my periods are going to be screwed up now. It actually might be good to not be bleeding like a stuck pig for a week every month!

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Just wanted to weigh in with a very positive review of Beyond Seven condoms. Due to the snug fit it was a little tricky to get it on, but boy what a difference it made in sensitivity during sex. FEELS LIKE I'M WEARING NOTHING AT ALL. :v:

Note that this is for the aloe lubricated version, which she said she liked because it helped to reduce irritation.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
I am allergic to Lube. Nasty stuff it does to me. So I have been given a nice brand new years worth of non lube condoms for free. Great.

I was told by the lady at the birth control center that I could use Vaseline as a substitute for lube. I am assuming the woman knows what she is talking about but I want to double check. Is it safe?

What are other mterials I could use for lube?
What is the water based lube like? Anything not made my human chemicals I can use.

Last thing. I am really "juicy" down there. Can I just use my natural juices as lube or is this a big no-no?

Thanks for helping me out!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

DrNewton posted:

I am assuming the woman knows what she is talking about but I want to double check. Is it safe?

I can't help you out much with other options as I have never needed lube, but Vaseline + Condom = Torn Condom.

Never use an oil (i.e. petroleum) based lube with a latex condom.

edit: If you make enough natural lubrication, I can't see there being an issue. I mean, our bodies do that for a reason. It's what I have always relied on. It will not hurt the condom's structural integrity as our vaginal secretions are not petroleum based. If you experience any irritation, then you can explore other water-based lubricants (which I cannot offer much info on myself).

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 17, 2011

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?

DrNewton posted:

I am allergic to Lube. Nasty stuff it does to me. So I have been given a nice brand new years worth of non lube condoms for free. Great.

I was told by the lady at the birth control center that I could use Vaseline as a substitute for lube. I am assuming the woman knows what she is talking about but I want to double check. Is it safe?

What is the water based lube like? Anything not made my human chemicals I can use.

Last thing. I am really "juicy" down there. Can I just use my natural juices as lube or is this a big no-no?

Can't find it right now, but my OB/GYN doctor's office was distributing information about feminine hygiene and care. There was a bit on there about lubricants. One of the options mentioned was for women who are sensitive to synthetic lubricants are vegetable oil and Crisco. Yes, the kind like people cook with. Who knows if it works. It seems very bizarre and messy to clean up, not to mention you'd have to store it someplace other than the kitchen. You wouldn't want to get those two mixed up!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DrNewton posted:

I am allergic to Lube. Nasty stuff it does to me.
What exactly in lube are you allergic to? There are some "vegan friendly" lubes out there that use seaweed as a base. Check out some sextoy sites and look for lubes, there's a lot more variety available there.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

DrNewton posted:

There are many kinds of lube, which ones in particular have you had a bad reaction to?

What kind of condoms were you given? Any latex or polyethylene (e.g. SKYN) condoms will be weakened by any oil-based lubricant, including Vaseline. 

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrNewton posted:

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. If you're lubricated enough on your own there's really no need to use lube, especially if your body gets irritated by the stuff so easily. I've never really used lube for vaginal sex and it's never caused any issues, with or without condoms (like Geolicious said, natural lubrication won't have any effect on condoms).

Vaseline however will weaken them so don't use that if you're sticking with condoms.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

DrNewton posted:

First of all, lube is fun for those in need and those in non't (thanks Geolicious). Secondly, don't ever use Vaseline when your main form of bc is condoms. Vaseline (and all other forms of oil based lube) weakens condoms.

Thirdly, the safest bet is to not rely on condoms whatsoever.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Fourthy, the safest bit of bc is either abstinence or user-proof bc, like shot, implant or IUD.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

First of all, lube is fun for those in need and those in non't (thanks Geolicious).

Sorry, I was not implying that one shouldn't use lube at all even if one had enough natural lubrication. I was just trying to point out that natural lubrication is OK on it's own if it works and will not damage condoms. I apologize if what I said sounded otherwise.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

I am surprised that somebody at a BC centre would tell me to use Vaseline. Then again I once was told honey is a good substituted. *shrugs*

To answer peoples questions, as I said, it has to be all natural... or natural as you can get. The stuff you get a store is full of strange chemicals and perfume. Even if the lube says works for people with sensitivity I will still get a reaction.

I an not wear make-up or face creams. I can only use all natural soap for my body. I can't even use hand sensitizers.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 17, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

DrNewton posted:

i once was told honey is a good substitute

:gonk: the horror

Cat Breath
Jul 1, 2007
meow.
Fallen Rib
I've been on the ring for about a bazillion years (4), and have found that in the last 4ish months, my sex drive has been dead. The ring has always kept it lower than it was before I went on it, but its been especially bad of late. I'm willing to entertain the idea that it might be emotional, but I can't discredit the fact that the ring has and does effect my libido. I'm planning to consult with my gynecologist ASAP, and I'm interested in either the implant or Mirena, as I reacted terribly to Yasmin and I expect that trend to continue with other pills, plus I'm terrible at taking them.

My question for you guys is: what have been your experiences going from a combined hormonal method to Mirena/Implanon with respect to libido? I understand that what happens to me will be different, but I'd like to get a general opinion about it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

DrNewton posted:

I am surprised that somebody at a BC would tell me to use Vaseline. then again i once was told honey is a good substituted. *shrugs*

To answer peoples questions, as i said, it has to be all natural... or natural as you can get. The stuff you get a store is full of strange chemicals and perfume. Even if the lube says works for people with sensitivity I will still get a reaction.

I an not wear make-up or face creams. I can only use all natural soap for my body. I can't even use hand sensitizers.
"It has to be all-natural" but you were going to use Vaseline? You realize it's a petroleum derivate, and about as processed as you can get? And like everyone's said, everything oil-based is incompatible with condoms.

Also, honey is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. Wrong texture, yeast infections -- no, you don't want to try it.

If you tell us what you're actually allergic to, we might have some better solutions -- there's organic lube marketed as natural, for example. If you keep playing Princess and the Pea, all that's "natural" enough is actual lube or saliva.

Cat Breath posted:

My question for you guys is: what have been your experiences going from a combined hormonal method to Mirena/Implanon with respect to libido? I understand that what happens to me will be different, but I'd like to get a general opinion about it.
Going from nothing to Implanon increased my sex drive. Huge YMMV, as you know!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

DrNewton posted:

I am surprised that somebody at a BC would tell me to use Vaseline. then again i once was told honey is a good substituted. *shrugs*

To answer peoples questions, as i said, it has to be all natural... or natural as you can get. The stuff you get a store is full of strange chemicals and perfume. Even if the lube says works for people with sensitivity I will still get a reaction.

I think this is the most natural one I know of:

Purified water, Plant Cellulose (from cotton), Cyamopsis (Guar Conditioners), Carrageegan, Nori & Wakame (Seaweed Extracts), Potassium Sorbate

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Kerfuffle posted:

I think this is the most natural one I know of:

Purified water, Plant Cellulose (from cotton), Cyamopsis (Guar Conditioners), Carrageegan, Nori & Wakame (Seaweed Extracts), Potassium Sorbate

Thanks for the tip and for being non judgmental.

Anne Whateley posted:

"It has to be all-natural" but you were going to use Vaseline? You realize it's a petroleum derivate, and about as processed as you can get? And like everyone's said, everything oil-based is incompatible with condoms.

Also, honey is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. Wrong texture, yeast infections -- no, you don't want to try it.

If you tell us what you're actually allergic to, we might have some better solutions -- there's organic lube marketed as natural, for example. If you keep playing Princess and the Pea, all that's "natural" enough is actual lube or saliva.

I don't know anything about Vaseline, that is why I was asking for a secound opinion. I am not being a princess and the pea I just wanted to double check to make sure I was getting to trouble. Also if people knew brands that were as natural as possible (the local drug had nothing but lubes that would cases irritation).

I don't even know what exactly causes my skin to react so badly.

Oh and I am not saying I am thinking of using honey. I was just stating the stupid advise people have given me.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

:gonk: the horror

I know.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 17, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I don't know why I didn't link the actual product in my post, if you're interested in trying it here's the linku: http://www.edenfantasys.com/sex-lubricants/water-based/sliquid-sea

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Geolicious posted:

Sorry, I was not implying that one shouldn't use lube at all even if one had enough natural lubrication. I was just trying to point out that natural lubrication is OK on it's own if it works and will not damage condoms. I apologize if what I said sounded otherwise.

Nah, you're fine. I was just teasing. You should give lube a try sometime, just for funsies. ;)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

Nah, you're fine. I was just teasing. You should give lube a try sometime, just for funsies. ;)

Ha! But, it was best that I did clarify my point.

To be honest, I have never cared for it. Tried it with a couple of partners in the past and it just seemed excessive for me. Thankfully, I've been, uh, "blessed" with natural abilities and it's worked out grand!

jshoreflyer
Jan 19, 2009

Oh You Wan Taste Rainbow? Skittle No Good Only Rice An Noodle!
Quick dumb question.

My gf is on low-ogestral (a generic pill I think)
We are not usually active during her placebo week. But we had sex without a condom the last day of her placebo week.

I read on the first page that the pill protects during the placebo week. But is there a increased risk because she doesn't take the hormonal pills during that week just the sugar pills?

Just curious, we usually use condoms and shes on the pill. This was a rarity for us so im just uncomfortable not knowing what the outcome might be :(

jshoreflyer fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 20, 2011

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

jshoreflyer posted:

Quick dumb question.

My gf is on low-ogestral (a generic pill I think)
We are not usually active during her placebo week. But we had sex without a condom the last day of her placebo week.

I read on the first page that the pill protects during the placebo week. But is there a increased risk because she doesn't take the hormonal pills during that week just the sugar pills?

Just curious, we usually use condoms and shes on the pill. This was a rarity for us so im just uncomfortable not knowing what the outcome might be :(

The protection should be the same as long she starts a new pack the next week like usual.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So I've been on Implanon for a little over a year now and at first it was great, but the last 2 months have been miserable. Constant bleeding, most of it fairly heavy (for me, I've always had fairly light periods on or off BC, this is like a full-on period for me) with a week or two of fairly heavy spotting then back to the flow. Needless to say this is not making me happy. Previously I was only having light spotting or sometimes a light period every couple of months.

Has anyone else had this experience, especially starting so suddenly about a year in? Is there anything I can do short of having the implant removed? Should I give it more time to even out again or am I likely to be dealing wtih this for awhile. I seriously loved Implanon before but I can't deal with this.

Kind of building on that, if I do switch BC methods I want to try an IUD but my OBGYN won't give them to women who haven't had children (I'm even in my 30s WTF). How can I "doctor shop" for one who would be willing to at least discuss the possibility with me? I'm in a rural area so health care is often a long drive so if I just call and ask will they tell me if they have restrictions like that? Or do I have to just keep giving it a try and seeing what they say? Basically I'd just like to hear how others who have had to shop around to find someone to do it have gone about it.

Also, will PP do IUDs in a situation like mine? The nearest office is 4 hours away but I'll make the drive if I know they'll do it. They're the ones I went to for Implanon because with my personal doctor it the only real options are the pill or the patch, and neither really work for me.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
The office should be able to tell you what services the doctor provides over the phone. You can even try to ask for a quick phone consult when the doctor has the time if they're unsure. Just be super polite, tell them what you want, that you're far away, and you don't want to waste the doctor's time.

From what other people have said, PP will do them. Call! :)

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

2tomorrow posted:

Also, will PP do IUDs in a situation like mine? The nearest office is 4 hours away but I'll make the drive if I know they'll do it. They're the ones I went to for Implanon because with my personal doctor it the only real options are the pill or the patch, and neither really work for me.
Ring them first, they did for me, but they had to book me in with a doctor who had experience inserting them in someone who hasn't had kids. They might not recommend an IUD for you if you are already having problems with heavy bleeding though (if you are looking at the paragard, mirena can help lighten periods I think).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I never had problems with bleeding until recently. It's also not really heavy, just...constant. :(

Thanks for the advice, I think I will just give PP a call and talk to them.

• Locked thread