Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Should I do a Child and Adolescent Advocacy Clinic during my 2L year instead of doing a journal? Or do I have to do them both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
What do you want to do with your career, assuming you have any choice whatsoever? As a rule of thumb, the clinic will look better to governments, firms specializing in that sort of work, and litigation firms generally. Journals have more prestige and look better for BigLaw, clerking and academia. Do them both if you can since every little bit helps, but between a clinic, journal, OCIs and course work you're going to loving hate your life.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Holland Oats posted:

Should I do a Child and Adolescent Advocacy Clinic during my 2L year instead of doing a journal? Or do I have to do them both?
I would say journal > clinic by a pretty significant amount. Do people even put clinics on a resume? I don't recall seeing any.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

gvibes posted:

I would say journal > clinic by a pretty significant amount. Do people even put clinics on a resume? I don't recall seeing any.
Depends on what you want to do.
Criminal law clinic is probably more important than even law review for DA/PD work as long as the clinic actually gets you in the court room.
I did a dozen trials in my clinic.

Civil, journal of course.

Kissy Suzuki
Mar 27, 2011

No honeymoon. This is business.

gvibes posted:

I was lazy.
Me too. It was definitely a factor in some interviews. One guy just ominously said "so, you're not on a journal or anything..." and then stared at me hatefully while I tried to justify myself.

I still got a job, though (not from him), so whatever. I wouldn't trade the past two years of taking four hour naps every day for anything

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

BigHead posted:

Judges can sua sponte dismiss a suit for being nonsensical (this is what happens people sue Satan). Eventually, someone will do this. But a judge can't dismiss a suit after he gets added to the defendants, so whoever gets the file will have to dismiss it before he or she gets added. And this guy is pretty quick on the draw. It's like a game of schizophrenic cat and mouse.

I remember a while back a state legislator sued God for various natural disasters. It got dismissed because it was impossible to show the defendant was properly served, over the objection of the plaintiff who made the obvious argument that since God was omniscient and omnipresent, he had knowledge of the lawsuit and could be served anywhere.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Konstantin posted:

I remember a while back a state legislator sued God for various natural disasters. It got dismissed because it was impossible to show the defendant was properly served, over the objection of the plaintiff who made the obvious argument that since God was omniscient and omnipresent, he had knowledge of the lawsuit and could be served anywhere.

Ernie Chambers.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
How many patent guys are around here? This US patent reform bill is pretty interesting stuff. Not sure how any of it's going to help reduce the backlog like a lot of the proponents are saying though, especially with the USPTO becoming way more strict on art rejections in recent years.

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC
There's this prisoner that sued Michael vick and the magna carta right when the scandal started in the papers, it wAs pretty funny, anyone have a link to it lying around?

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Zo posted:

How many patent guys are around here? This US patent reform bill is pretty interesting stuff. Not sure how any of it's going to help reduce the backlog like a lot of the proponents are saying though, especially with the USPTO becoming way more strict on art rejections in recent years.

One of the attorneys here gave a luncheon presentation about it a couple of weeks ago. The big takeaway was "This has only gone through the senate judiciary committee and no one has a loving clue what will eventually get passed, so you can ignore everything we just spent an hour talking about because it probably bears little resemblence to the end result." Edit: I guess it's through the full Senate now too, but we're still waiting on the house version, so we're still in limbo as far as figuring out the after-effects.

If the US goes to first-to-file (likely), then it'll probably just mean more pressure from clients to get applications filed sooner, despite the fact that the single biggest delay in filing tends to be the clients themselves. I doubt you'll see a drop in application quality as a result - application quality is more budget-driven than time driven. Now, if clients continue to demand cheaper and cheaper applications (as has been the case), that'll implicate the quality of the product, but this isn't a function of filing time pressure. Rather, in many cases firms are competing with solo attorneys that write applications out of their kitchens, which is causing a race to the bottom for prosecution budgets.

The biggest change likely to affect the PTO is the ability for them to institute some sort of fee reform, which will hopefully allow them to hire more examiners to properly deal with the backlog. Given the current climate in Washington though, I can't imagine the rest of the Federal government will be too keen on giving up their share of those sweet sweet PTO dollars. It wouldn't surprise me to see this section of the bill radically altered.

Edit the second: Oh hey, the House bill is out after all with only minor changes from the Senate. I guess it's easier to get legislation passed when the general public doesn't give a gently caress and the subject matter is too boring to use as a wedge issue. Assuming the ability to keep fees in-house gets passed as written, hopefully we'll see more Examiners being hired as a result.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 14, 2011

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kissy Suzuki posted:

Me too. It was definitely a factor in some interviews. One guy just ominously said "so, you're not on a journal or anything..." and then stared at me hatefully while I tried to justify myself.

I still got a job, though (not from him), so whatever. I wouldn't trade the past two years of taking four hour naps every day for anything
Yeah, at one point someone asked "So, I must have an old version of your resume, as there really aren't any LS extracurriculars listed - do you have an updated version of your resume?"

I sheepishly responded "Nope, that's it"

Of course, I have a top 10 EE degree and a top 10 LS JD, so it didn't really matter.

e: And gently caress first to invent.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Red Bean Juice posted:

Harvard has a class of 550

It all makes sense now.

Holland Oats posted:

Why can't you do both? I feel like that's pretty common at my school.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I need some advice.

I'm loving with my resume to try and get a job at a firm that just decided to start doing legal malpractice.

Should I put in that I worked with legal doctrines specific to legal malpractice (things like the no-fracturing rule, the attorney judgment rule) or should I say that I worked on legal malpractice cases and then write the litigation-specific tasks that I did?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zo posted:

They've been talking about this bill since at least 2004. Hasn't happened yet.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

I need some advice.

I'm loving with my resume to try and get a job at a firm that just decided to start doing legal malpractice.

Should I put in that I worked with legal doctrines specific to legal malpractice (things like the no-fracturing rule, the attorney judgment rule) or should I say that I worked on legal malpractice cases and then write the litigation-specific tasks that I did?

The second one.

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

Red Bean Juice posted:

Harvard has a class of 550

:lol: diploma mill.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

I need some advice.

Try: "I've been a defendant in numerous malpractice cases, so I can sympathize with our clients/know the tricks that defendants use."
Change based on whether you want plaintiff or defense work.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

euphronius posted:

If any of you law goons are lawyers in Centre County PA or in central PA and what to talk about law here send me a PM or whatever. It would be nice to meet some more lawyers out here.

I don't have PMs and I'm only a law student, but I'm from Lancaster and I'd like to talk about something similar. I'll get PMs if we have at least one person who wants to talk and has avoided the irc for whatever reason.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.
e

Stop fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 15, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Stop posted:

Question:

Would taking a juvenile defender clinic or an immigrant right clinic hurt you if you want to go into prosecution?

Vice versa, would taking a prosecution clinic hurt you if you want to apply for public defender internships/positions?

I also heard from hearsay that some PD or legal aid offices like the Bronx Defenders won't seriously consider your application if you ever expressed interest in prosecution. Is that the case for prosecution as well?

Applying for 1L jobs I got 2-3 answers from prosecutors saying they couldn't take me but providing contact information for their PD friends (I had Innocence Project and ACLU Capital Punishment Project on my resume, and an immigrant/asylum-seeker thing too). I got asked about it in basically every interview and I think at least two places (that I didn't get offers from) were influenced more by those resume items than by anything else.

I'm interning at a USAO this summer and I'm going to try to extern with another prosecutor in the spring, but it can definitely have an effect.

EDIT: Defense side is much more paranoid. Scuttlebutt is that DC defenders, for example, won't touch you if you even sniff prosecutorial air.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Stop posted:

Question:

Would taking a juvenile defender clinic or an immigrant right clinic hurt you if you want to go into prosecution?

Vice versa, would taking a prosecution clinic hurt you if you want to apply for public defender internships/positions?

I also heard from hearsay that some PD or legal aid offices like the Bronx Defenders won't seriously consider your application if you ever expressed interest in prosecution. Is that the case for prosecution as well?

From what I've heard from more experienced lawgoons, yes. Defenders are skeptical of prosecution experience and vice versa.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Stop posted:

Question:

Anecdotal evidence: "Spending time in the public defender clinic in law school has given me the opportunity to make an informed decision in my commitment to prosecution" landed me a job with a DA's office.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

From what I've heard from more experienced lawgoons, yes. Defenders are skeptical of prosecution experience and vice versa.

Counter-anecdote: most of the defenders I know, my boss included, started as prosecutors.

Hippokleides
Mar 20, 2011

by Ozma

Stop posted:

Question:

Would taking a juvenile defender clinic or an immigranamt right clinic hurt you if you want to go into prosecution?

At the very least, they'll ask some tough questions. Thankfully, my resume was clean, so this was never an issue for me. If you know which side of the aisle you want to be on, then behave accordingly.

Hippokleides fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 14, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

Anecdotal evidence: "Spending time in the public defender clinic in law school has given me the opportunity to make an informed decision in my commitment to prosecution" landed me a job with a DA's office.
Yeah, this might work in 1 of 100 offices.
I'm a public defender who headed the prosecution clinic (and also did the defense clinic) and that's hard to get over out here in CA.
The stupid criminal system we have in the US doesn't value intellectualism or bullshit like that, they only trust true believers.
It doesn't help that many prosecution and PD offices (esp DAs offices) have upper management who aren't really, uhm, smart and were hired back when the job market was awesome and even TTT people got $100k/yr jobs.
They'll hire the unaccredited law school grad over you because that grad worked there, and your T1 diploma and working for another office confuses them.
I wish I were joking, and this doesn't apply to where I work now, but it does at a vast number of offices here.

prosecutors offices are slightly worse than PDs in this regard.
I don't think an immigration law clinic would hurt you, but you'd want to frame it right.
If the defense clinic will actually get you a jury trial, that might help you slightly, but a prosecution clinic would be much better.

That said, in say Minnesota, whoring around to both offices is more common. But in California, it is loving stupid as hell.

ToiletLaw
Nov 3, 2009

by Lowtax

IANAL posted:

There's this prisoner that sued Michael vick and the magna carta right when the scandal started in the papers, it wAs pretty funny, anyone have a link to it lying around?

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/riches_jonathan_file.pdf

There's more.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...002b42817545f9b

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

Something like that would work in our PD office. 1/5 of the crim law attorneys have prosecution experience.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
From what I hear, it's just the New York City PDs that are really mistrustful of people with prosecution experience, for some reason. Any of them on Manhattan in particular--probably in part because of the insane reputation of the Manhattan DA office.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

the insane reputation of the Manhattan DA office.

Which is what, exactly? That all the female ADAs are stunning and all the male ADAs are wounded idealists who are AWESOME?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Alaemon posted:

Which is what, exactly? That all the female ADAs are stunning and all the male ADAs are wounded idealists who are AWESOME?
They keep going around saying doink doink and that gets annoying as hell.
----
I suspect the difference depends on whether the state has a healthy criminal system or not. California's is dysfunctional to the extreme and no one likes each other.
MN is, I still think, one of the best in the nation and they seem to get along a bit more.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Dear law school people, I'm not one of you, but my boyfriend is and he's dealing with a tough time right now.

We're in Texas, and in January he sent off his application to take the bar exam.

Today, he was with some friends who were complaining about all the stuff the bar exam people kept mailing them. He realized that he hadn't been getting any of that stuff. Uh oh.

He immediately called them and found out that they hadn't received it. He (very unfortunately) had not sent the package with certified mail. He is already kicking himself quite a lot over that, as well as not checking on the receipt of the package.

At the moment, he's past the late registration deadline, but the people there said he could send them the materials again along with a waiver request. That would go to a committee who would then vote on whether or not to accept it.

If they say no, it sounds like the next time he'd be able to take the exam is February.

...so.

Any idea what his chances are?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Basically zero if its anything like the NY bar. "I goofed" isn't grounds for a waiver.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Seluin posted:

Dear law school people, I'm not one of you, but my boyfriend is and he's dealing with a tough time right now.

We're in Texas, and in January he sent off his application to take the bar exam.

Today, he was with some friends who were complaining about all the stuff the bar exam people kept mailing them. He realized that he hadn't been getting any of that stuff. Uh oh.

He immediately called them and found out that they hadn't received it. He (very unfortunately) had not sent the package with certified mail. He is already kicking himself quite a lot over that, as well as not checking on the receipt of the package.

At the moment, he's past the late registration deadline, but the people there said he could send them the materials again along with a waiver request. That would go to a committee who would then vote on whether or not to accept it.

If they say no, it sounds like the next time he'd be able to take the exam is February.

...so.

Why the gently caress did you have to post this? I'm paranoid as poo poo now.

Edit: Ok, paranoia averted.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 14, 2011

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Call them. I got a bit worried after I hadn't heard back from the board after a while, but I figured it was just because I was sending my stuff in from NYC. They are just slow at responding to stuff they receive. Except for the check - that was cashed almost instantly.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Seluin posted:

...so.

Obvious advice that you guys have probably already covered, but here (not TX) we have the deadline, the late deadline, and then the really late deadline after which you can't submit anything - the fee increases with each step but the close of filing isn't until April 30th.

If you're past the close of filing, though, he's probably taking it next February.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Sup non-1Ls that did amazing 1L year. Did you do just as well your second semester as your first without putting in as much work because you thought you have LS exams figured out? Please say yes. Please let that be true.

Anything that I should have learned from the first set of exams that I did well on other than think and type faster?

FWIW: Charleston, SC PD and Solicitors had a generally professional, cordial relationship with one other, with the exception of the total dickbags. At least as far as I was exposed to it.

Go work in Charleston. Charleston is awesome. Good weather that's only insufferable for about 4-5 months. Good food. Cordial professional community. "Mid law" is the big fish of the pond, starting first-year associate at or above six figures with reasonable 50-60 hour weeks on average for 1-5 year experienced attorneys notwithstanding push times. College town. Hilariously bad politicians. Extensive city/state-wide social politics and gossip. What more could you ask for from a city?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

I don't have PMs and I'm only a law student, but I'm from Lancaster and I'd like to talk about something similar. I'll get PMs if we have at least one person who wants to talk and has avoided the irc for whatever reason.

I think it would be cool to talk because small town and rural law is completely different than the T14 rat race* and big law experience.

* I mean that with all due respect.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

CaptainScraps posted:

Edit: Ok, paranoia averted.

Worse yet, if he does have to take the February bar potential employers will automatically assume he failed the July bar. Of course, he could always be honest and explain that he missed the July bar deadline but then he'll look incompetent.

So employers will think he's either retarded and failed the bar, or so sloppy he failed to take steps to follow up on a crucial deadline until it was too late (or I guess he could lie, which brings its own problems). None of those choices are desirable traits in an attorney.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GamingHyena posted:

Worse yet, if he does have to take the February bar potential employers will automatically assume he failed the July bar. Of course, he could always be honest and explain that he missed the July bar deadline but then he'll look incompetent.

So employers will think he's either retarded and failed the bar, or so sloppy he failed to take steps to follow up on a crucial deadline until it was too late (or I guess he could lie, which brings its own problems). None of those choices are desirable traits in an attorney.

You speak for yourself, missing deadlines is a skill I look for in an attorney.

They make for as open-and-shut a legal mal case as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

Green Crayons posted:

Sup non-1Ls that did amazing 1L year. Did you do just as well your second semester as your first without putting in as much work because you thought you have LS exams figured out? Please say yes. Please let that be true.

Anything that I should have learned from the first set of exams that I did well on other than think and type faster?

If anything, you're going to have to study harder. Lots of people coast the first quarter because they think they're smart enough that they don't have to put in a ton of work, get burned, and then work incredibly hard the next quarter to make up for it.

wrt patents: thank god half of my Patent Law class was devoted to priority rules. Those are going to come in really handy now. gently caress.