Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Ever notice how none of the 'good' afterlives involve cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I blame Tolkein.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mystic Mongol posted:

Mount Celestia had a bunch, but it was pretty much anti-Baator anyway.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MadScientistWorking posted:

Wait the planar system is tied to a system that this comic has openly mocked? That all ready entrenches it into the stupid category.
Citation needed.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

crime fighting hog posted:

I, too, miss the plane of salt.
A system that carefully distinguishes between para-elemental and quasi-elemental planes is not one you throw away lightly.

Who will speak for the vanished quasi-elemental plane of Vacuum?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FMguru posted:

Who will speak for the vanished quasi-elemental plane of Vacuum?

Nobody. In space, no-one can hear you sperg.

All in all I didn't think the Great Wheel arrangement of the planes was all that terrible, despite being built directly out of the always untenable 9 point alignment system. It might just be my fondness for the Planescape setting showing through, though.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
When we can't have the Quasi-grognard Plane of Goon, whose King is a half-orc, half-vampire, half-dragon, giant outsider who likes pinacoladas and getting caught in the rain, then the Wizards of the Coast have won.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I cannot fathom the reasons why people sperg out about the default setting. There is no history there and the book have always stated that if you don't like something you are free to change it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't like giving hasbro money for constantly making materials outdated, so I'm still stuck on 3rd ed.

That being said, Dungeons and Dragons is a game that exists entirely in the minds of the players, thus the fewer times you have to make dice rolls or go to the source books for things, the better you're doing as a DM.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

HKR posted:

I cannot fathom the reasons why people sperg out about the default setting. There is no history there and the book have always stated that if you don't like something you are free to change it.
I can't fathom why people sperg out about anything involving D&D's rules, since unless I've been playing D&D wrong my entire existence there's literally nothing stopping you from just ... Not doing that.

Then again, technically we're reading a comic that is entirely a giant sperg fest.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
At that point, why bother with D&D rules in lieu of freeform roleplaying? :colbert:

But seriously, there are two extremes of thought in roleplaying, and if my knowledge of tabletop RPGs is any indication, D&D players will lean towards the "let's obsess over rules and die rolls" end (or they're just ignorant of other systems).

Before we take this into a really lovely "how should you play RPGs" argument, let's just agree that different people want different things out of a game and leave it at that.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

crime fighting hog posted:

I, too, miss the plane of salt.

I believe 4th Ed retconned that. The salt is from all the tears shed over the new editions since 1st.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Vicissitude posted:

I believe 4th Ed retconned that. The salt is from all the tears shed over the new editions since 1st.

Real bros play Chainmail and that's it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Spiderdrake posted:

Citation needed.
There have been multiple characters who gamed the alignment system namely because any real character wouldn't follow a single alignment. And any character who actually does is really disturbing.

quote:

I don't like giving hasbro money for constantly making materials outdated, so I'm still stuck on 3rd ed.
Constantly???? It took seven years for 3E to be replaced.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 14, 2011

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

That being said, Dungeons and Dragons is a game that exists entirely in the minds of the players, thus the fewer times you have to make dice rolls or go to the source books for things, the better you're doing as a DM.

You're thinking about Paranoia.

D&D is all about feats and swag.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Toussaint Louverture posted:

You're thinking about Paranoia.

D&D is all about feats and swag.

You are not authorized to compare RPG player/character motivations, Citizen.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

inthesto posted:

At that point, why bother with D&D rules in lieu of freeform roleplaying? :colbert:
And when a mommy roleplaying system loves a daddy discontent with roleplaying system very much, they have a new roleplaying system...

There have been multiple characters who gamed the alignment system namely because any real character wouldn't follow a single alignment. And any character who actually does is really disturbing.
Give a specific example and explain how it relates to your earlier comment of 'openly mocks' given people have been doing that in D&D since Raistlin.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Constantly???? It took seven years for 3E to be replaced.

There was this thing three years after 3E and four years before 4E, you may have heard of it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I would do unspeakable things to have Rich illustrate a Paranoia campaign with the established oots characters. Roy would die like every panel.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

TampaTango posted:

When we can't have the Quasi-grognard Plane of Goon, whose King is a half-orc, half-vampire, half-dragon, giant outsider who likes pinacoladas and getting caught in the rain, then the Wizards of the Coast have won.

The Plane of Goon is a demi-plane at best. You only wish you warranted a quasi or para.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DontMockMySmock posted:

There was this thing three years after 3E and four years before 4E, you may have heard of it.

Oh yeah, that edition that you could still use all your 3E stuff with if you aren't a drooling retard that doesn't understand the rules. I remember that.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Oh yeah, that edition that you could still use all your 3E stuff with if you aren't a drooling retard that doesn't understand the rules. I remember that.

But you had to buy more books man! Instead of just giving everyone who ever bought D&D a free copy of the hardcovers, they mearly only produced a PDF of what changed between 3 and 3.5 and gave it out for free. Can't you see Wizard$ is all about the money? You're just a sheep with wool over your eyes.

Now excuse me, I have to write fifteen paragraphs on RPG.net (I'm a fairly popular poster there) lamenting the fact that my favorite RPG company went out of business. Sure they only ever produced two books for their game in the last five years (Which I didn't buy but I totally gave them moral support on RPG.net!). But it's all Wizard$' fault for over saturating the market. TSR would never have done that!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

HKR posted:

But you had to buy more books man! Instead of just giving everyone who ever bought D&D a free copy of the hardcovers, they mearly only produced a PDF of what changed between 3 and 3.5 and gave it out for free. Can't you see Wizard$ is all about the money? You're just a sheep with wool over your eyes.

Now excuse me, I have to write fifteen paragraphs on RPG.net (I'm a fairly popular poster there) lamenting the fact that my favorite RPG company went out of business. Sure they only ever produced two books for their game in the last five years (Which I didn't buy but I totally gave them moral support on RPG.net!). But it's all Wizard$' fault for over saturating the market. TSR would never have done that!

At least we still have Monte Cook, paragon of balanced gaming and his Pathfinder system. Thank Ao we don't have to give Ha$bro any more cash.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What kind of scrub prays to Ao? Everyone knows you don't pray to Ao that's like the most basic thing ever. Better not let this guy near the d4s he might eat them because he is literally an infant. :awesome:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ao has all the domains, man. All of them. What kind of retard picks some pussy god with a limited portfolio of influence? :jerkbag:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He also doesn't give a poo poo about Mortals and doesn't keep clerics...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Who What Now posted:

At least we still have Monte Cook, paragon of balanced gaming and his Pathfinder system.

If you're not being sarcastic, then I believe you are wrong, because those titles go to Mike Mearls and Iron Heroes. :colbert:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Who What Now posted:

At least we still have Monte Cook, paragon of balanced gaming and his Pathfinder system. Thank Ao we don't have to give Ha$bro any more cash.

Yes, system mastery will forever be the cornerstone of the elite gaming community.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

inthesto posted:

If you're not being sarcastic, then I believe you are wrong, because those titles go to Mike Mearls and Iron Heroes. :colbert:

He used a $ as an S in 2011, I really hope he's being sarcastic.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I actually assumed he was, but I never miss an opportunity to praise Iron Heroes.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
Man, that's a hell of a lot of new posts for no new strip. :)

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Effingham posted:

Man, that's a hell of a lot of new posts for no new strip. :)
You know a thread truly has been derailed when it would derail the thread dedicated to derails.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

inthesto posted:

No, Pathfinder is balls and no one should ever play it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Who What Now posted:

No, Pathfinder is balls and no one should ever play it.

Well, one of my old gaming groups plays Pathfinder now, and they adore the poo poo out of it.

Then again, these are the same people who would habitually gate in three dragons and literally take half an hour for a single player's turn.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

You know a thread truly has been derailed when it would derail the thread dedicated to derails.

Oy, that's for sure.

I know a few fora where there is multi-layered derailment that comes standard in every thread....

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

inthesto posted:

Well, one of my old gaming groups plays Pathfinder now, and they adore the poo poo out of it.

Then again, these are the same people who would habitually gate in three dragons and literally take half an hour for a single player's turn.

This is exactly why Pathfinder is balls and no one should play it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

New strip:

Well that solves that mystery, then!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

God damnit

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Is Thog a Queen fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
Who isn't?