Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

It wasn't my insurance, it was the lady's bottom of the barrel, barely legal California insurance that stuck it to me. But whatever, all those parts are on my new bike now.

Do you not carry uninsured/under insured coverage?

I have both at 500k just in case someone with the state minimum 15/30/5 whacks the poo poo out of me and my bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

FileNotFound posted:

Do you not carry uninsured/under insured coverage?

I have both at 500k just in case someone with the state minimum 15/30/5 whacks the poo poo out of me and my bike.

I do have uninsured motorist insurance, but since it was 100% her fault I chose not to use my insurance and let them get it out of her. Her property damage limit was 5k, lowest allowed in CA.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

harm0nic posted:

I paid $2200 for my '02 SV650.

Unless he's got aftermarket parts to justify $3k, lowball the poo poo out of him.

Did you buy in the off-season? Since I'm looking to buy right now as riding season is starting up, does that mean I should expect to pay a little more?

I got him down to $2600, and I honestly don't see any SV650S going for less than about that price. I've looked as far as Chicago on CL. Even in Dallas where it's riding season pretty much year-round, 1st gens seem to be going for $2700-$3000.

[edit]
Here's a picture of the damage from the drop:

[edit2]
Yeah, after doing more research, since it's the riding season, I don't think I'm gonna find a much better deal. It's got some cosmetic damage, but I really don't care. It'll be a good bike to learn on, and I can always replace/repair the fairing and dent in the exhaust pipe.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 7, 2011

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
I'm a unique snowflake, just like everyone else.
There is a 02 on the DC CL listed at $2500. I've been watching the newer ones and 07-09 have been $3500-5000.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Fangs404 posted:

Did you buy in the off-season? Since I'm looking to buy right now as riding season is starting up, does that mean I should expect to pay a little more?

I got him down to $2600, and I honestly don't see any SV650S going for less than about that price. I've looked as far as Chicago on CL. Even in Dallas where it's riding season pretty much year-round, 1st gens seem to be going for $2700-$3000.

[edit]
Here's a picture of the damage from the drop:

[edit2]
Yeah, after doing more research, since it's the riding season, I don't think I'm gonna find a much better deal. It's got some cosmetic damage, but I really don't care. It'll be a good bike to learn on, and I can always replace/repair the fairing and dent in the exhaust pipe.
I'm selling my 2004 and have it up at 3k OBO.
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2303723879.html

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm setting up my SV for my ride down to California in July and can't decide between Corbin or Sargent for a replacement seat.
Currently, I'm running a gel seat with an Alska Leather rally special pad. I tried sending my seat to greatdaytoride, but it looks like the previous owner already modified the seat, so Spencer can't do anything with it.

Anyone have experience with what seat would work best? I'm 6' 155lbs with a ~29" inseam. I have no padding on my arse, either.

E: I'm also using bars with a larger rise and pullback.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 12, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I really love Corbin seats, but they take some adjustment to, as they are dished and REALLY hard with very little padding. But I could go the distance on mine. See if you can find a used one to try, take some trips and see if you like it or not. There is definitely a period where your rear end needs to break in to the seat, so keep that in mind.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I have a corbin on mine and am really happy with it. I've done 8 hour days on it without much trouble.

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
So I've been watching CL here for the last 4 months or so and in that time I've seen a fair number of 2007+ sv650s for sale, but I have yet to see a single ABS one(which is what I'm looking for). Are there really not that many of them in the wild, or is it just my luck?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Why do you specifically want an ABS over non?

Looks like I'm going Corbin and need to start a series of break-in rides!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BigRedCat posted:

So I've been watching CL here for the last 4 months or so and in that time I've seen a fair number of 2007+ sv650s for sale, but I have yet to see a single ABS one(which is what I'm looking for). Are there really not that many of them in the wild, or is it just my luck?

They are really rare, unfortunately. ABS wasn't a popular option, which is really dumb, because it's fantastic.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Is Suzuki not making the SV650 anymore? Why haven't they made any 2010 or 2011 models?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not that I've seen. My local dealer just got a shipment of "new" bikes which included a 2008 VStrom and a 2009 SV650S.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Is Suzuki not making the SV650 anymore? Why haven't they made any 2010 or 2011 models?

Gladius is the replacement SV.

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003

Pope Mobile posted:

Why do you specifically want an ABS over non?

Looks like I'm going Corbin and need to start a series of break-in rides!

I want a sv650 and anything that can resonably contribute to my safety on it for a reasonable price seems like a very good investment to me.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Z3n posted:

Gladius is the replacement SV.

Even the Gladius hasn't had a post-2009 model, though. It just seems a little strange.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Fangs404 posted:

Even the Gladius hasn't had a post-2009 model, though. It just seems a little strange.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

http://www.vee-strom.com/blog/bs/suzuki-plans-no-2010-us-imports/

Suzuki dropped imports in 2010 because the existing stock was supposed to be sufficient.

BigRedCat
May 23, 2003
If the bike comes with those pants I'm sold.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

BigRedCat posted:

If the bike comes with those pants I'm sold.
I bought one, it does not.

Though they backpedaled on that marketing scheme for 2010.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

chryst posted:

I bought one, it does not.

Though they backpedaled on that marketing scheme for 2010.

Too many people trying to stunt them through rivers, wrecking, then suing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've got a Sargent on my VFR and it's amazing. I can't really comment on the SV ones, though.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

schreibs posted:

Too many people trying to stunt them through rivers, wrecking, then suing?
Apparently not everyone who purchased the naked SV650 was actually a gay spaceman.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I got the suzuki gel seat and its ok. Its a bit taller than stock I think which works well for my hips. It is more comfortable than stock but don't know how it compares to a sargent/corbin. Longest ride I've taken on it so far was 4-5 hours and I felt fine afterwards which isn't the case with the stocker. It is half the price of sargeant/corbin..

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

FileNotFound posted:

SaNChEzZ posted:

I do have uninsured motorist insurance, but since it was 100% her fault I chose not to use my insurance and let them get it out of her. Her property damage limit was 5k, lowest allowed in CA.

Sorry to drag this on, but I thought it didn't matter what her insurance was? It's not like she gets off the hook for the wreck just because her insurance won't cover it all, right? I assume she's out of pocket for the remainder. Less so in FNF's case since if he has 500k worth of medical bills the other party obviously won't be able to pay out of pocket for it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

hayden. posted:

Sorry to drag this on, but I thought it didn't matter what her insurance was? It's not like she gets off the hook for the wreck just because her insurance won't cover it all, right? I assume she's out of pocket for the remainder. Less so in FNF's case since if he has 500k worth of medical bills the other party obviously won't be able to pay out of pocket for it.

That's what happened with mine, they paid the 5k that they were allowed, then the remainder of the damage claim came out of pocket and so will the personal injury case once it's all said and done.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

The speedometer on my 02 SVS died a couple days back. I'm not in a major hurry to replace it because gearing and RPM is enough to determine speed, but it's also made my odometer stop working which complicates filling up. Does anyone know where a replacement could be found outside of ebay?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

eggyolk posted:

The speedometer on my 02 SVS died a couple days back. I'm not in a major hurry to replace it because gearing and RPM is enough to determine speed, but it's also made my odometer stop working which complicates filling up. Does anyone know where a replacement could be found outside of ebay?

Check the wiring and the sensor. Probably just a damaged wire or something.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
In case anyone is interested, here's a code for $5 off $100 at MotorcycleSuperstore.com. Not the biggest discount but figured I'd post it up.

S11D1GB00A. Those are one's and zeroes not L's and O's. Expires 4/30/11.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it normal for SVs to feel a little squirrely in the rear corner wise when coming from a newer 600? Also, if you try to lift the front in first (roll off, snap back in quick) it will spin the rear tire. :v:

The tires are Pilot Road 2CTs that I put like 100mi on over the course of a year. It's a friend's bike that decided riding wasn't as cool as she thought and ended up putting 2-3 miles on it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 14, 2011

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My SV (99 naked) has been acting up a bit lately. Has stumbled a few times pulling away from lights then yesterday pulling up to a light I pulled in the clutch and it died. Tried bump starting it, 2nd gear ~40mph, with no luck but the start button got it started with a little gas.

What would cause this? It is long overdue for a valve check.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nitro, when valves get really tight, you can start to have the problems you describe...the valves stay open too long, causing compression loss, and making it hard to start the bike when hot and it'll idle like crap. If you're way overdue for a valve check, I'd probably start there. Other possibilities are some kind of fuel delivery issue, like the vacuum petcock is failing. Get all of the maintenance stuff out of the way first, and then start digging around if the problem persists.

BlackMK4 posted:

Is it normal for SVs to feel a little squirrely in the rear corner wise when coming from a newer 600? Also, if you try to lift the front in first (roll off, snap back in quick) it will spin the rear tire. :v:

The tires are Pilot Road 2CTs that I put like 100mi on over the course of a year. It's a friend's bike that decided riding wasn't as cool as she thought and ended up putting 2-3 miles on it.

Have you checked the tire pressures and stuff?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

My SV1 was really squirrelly in the back when I had a nail in the rear and the pressure was around 18 PSI. So yeah, check that.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

If it's not this, check your rear shock. I've seen some interesting things happen when rear shocks lose their viability. The SV is particularly prone to this due to its pogo-stick suspension in the rear.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

eggyolk posted:

but it's also made my odometer stop working which complicates filling up.

Is your fuel warning light broken too? why use the odometer at all.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

eggyolk posted:

Gen 1 SV's are notorious for breaking their speedometers. The gear which drives it is ridiculously weak, and has a tendency to fail. I don't remember the exact fix, but a dig around svrider.com should get you your answer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Nitro, when valves get really tight, you can start to have the problems you describe...the valves stay open too long, causing compression loss, and making it hard to start the bike when hot and it'll idle like crap. If you're way overdue for a valve check, I'd probably start there. Other possibilities are some kind of fuel delivery issue, like the vacuum petcock is failing. Get all of the maintenance stuff out of the way first, and then start digging around if the problem persists.

Yeah, tires were dead flat when I went to ride it so I put 36/36 in them.

NipplesTheCat posted:

If it's not this, check your rear shock. I've seen some interesting things happen when rear shocks lose their viability. The SV is particularly prone to this due to its pogo-stick suspension in the rear.
Hmm, this actually might make a lot of sense.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

echomadman posted:

Is your fuel warning light broken too? why use the odometer at all.

The light still works, but it's made me hold off on a planned long distance trip where gas stations can be 30+ miles apart. Plus it's the only reasonable way to calculate MPG.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/mcy/2328583251.html

2006 SV650 with 4k miles for $3600, is that a good deal? KBB says $3500 dealer retail but there's no mileage modification so I'm not sure. It seems like an alright deal for a one owner bike but there aren't very many of these on svrider or ebay so it's hard to get a real good feel for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
Picked this 03 s model up saturday for $2500 :v:

• Locked thread