Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

VikingSkull posted:

Honestly if we're looking to expose them to the most people, two in the Northeast is kinda needed. One sixth of the US lives here, and most of them are reliant on mass transit.

I understand where you're coming from, but even with mass transit it's pretty easy to get to DC from NY, isn't it?

Maybe as a courtesy to quell some of the unpopularity, before the Smithsonian (or other facilities) take their orbiters, they should do a country tour to facilities that have an appropriate hanger for a while first, kind of like how Enterprise did tours before it got put into the Smithsonian. That way more people in the country could drive to visit them before they're put away for good.

Just an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Are the carrier aircraft going anywhere other than the desert?

emf
Aug 1, 2002

MrChips posted:

I wouldn't call any CRJ an old rattletrap - they're all under 20 years old (that one in particular was built in 2003). I will admit, they're not the best from a passenger's perspective, especially the CRJ-100/200 family.
Really? I guess I could have looked it up, but I always just assumed they looked as old as they were. The phrase about being ridden hard seems to apply here, maybe.

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

You gotta understand just how huge the A380 is. Doing some very rough math, and seeing that it looks like it was the very tip of the wing that hit that jet, the pilots were around 300 feet away from the point of impact. That's loving crazy.

After looking at the video it appears to me that the F150 that came from left to right probably caused the RJ to slow it's roll into the stand and in doing so the clearance the A380 crew thought they had was lost. Also, I bet that made a cool sound. :black101:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

slidebite posted:

I understand where you're coming from, but even with mass transit it's pretty easy to get to DC from NY, isn't it?

Maybe as a courtesy to quell some of the unpopularity, before the Smithsonian (or other facilities) take their orbiters, they should do a country tour to facilities that have an appropriate hanger for a while first, kind of like how Enterprise did tours before it got put into the Smithsonian. That way more people in the country could drive to visit them before they're put away for good.

Just an idea.

I wouldn't be against that. In fact, let's organize an effort to get the Intrepid seaworthy again and we can let her set sail for 6 months out of the year. Hopefully it can get up the Mississippi.

As far as mass transit being easy in the NE corridor, only if you're rich. A regular train trip still takes hours. There's only one high speed line, and it's not all that efficient. NY to DC isn't bad, Boston to DC? Ugh.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

VikingSkull posted:

NY to DC isn't bad, Boston to DC? Ugh.

I've done Baltimore BWI all the way to Boston, that was rough. I still want to try riding the ACELA sometime. Its cool as poo poo to see that thing go flying through the station.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Advent Horizon posted:

Are the carrier aircraft going anywhere other than the desert?

The 747s? They'll probably be modified to do another job. Maybe restored to normal trim and sold.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Godholio posted:

The 747s? They'll probably be modified to do another job. Maybe restored to normal trim and sold.

They'll probably be scrapped, sadly. They're too big for any museum, and since they've been modified so extensively it would cost far too much to return them to their originally certified condition, especially considering both SCAs are 747-100s (one is formerly a 747SR, but that is essentially a -100 anyways) and have little commercial value these days.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

MrChips posted:

They'll probably be scrapped, sadly. They're too big for any museum, and since they've been modified so extensively it would cost far too much to return them to their originally certified condition, especially considering both SCAs are 747-100s (one is formerly a 747SR, but that is essentially a -100 anyways) and have little commercial value these days.

Local airport near my family's house has some huge NASA prop plane parked out front... someone will probably have a place for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrChips posted:

I think it's more likely that NASA will either convert them to carry something else or mothball them (maybe at DM) until they have something worth carrying. I don't see these really getting scrapped, and I agree they'll never end up in a museum...they're just not interesting enough on their own for most people (even most aviation museum patrons). Maybe as a combined exhibit with an orbiter, but I doubt it.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

MrChips posted:

Dayton has plenty of room.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Godholio posted:

Maybe as a combined exhibit with an orbiter, but I doubt it.
Seriously, one of those with Enterprise mounted on the back would be perfect considering that's how it spent most of its active service.

Shoe-horning that next to Intrepid would probably be a fun trick though.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Didn't some beltway bandit use one a couple months ago for their super secret space plane poo poo?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

I wouldn't call any CRJ an old rattletrap - they're all under 20 years old (that one in particular was built in 2003). I will admit, they're not the best from a passenger's perspective, especially the CRJ-100/200 family.

I just hate 'em because I can't stand up straight in the middle of the aisle. Compare and contrast with the MD-11 I rode on Monday, where I could just barely touch the ceiling in the aisle.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

slidebite posted:

Just an idea.

D.C. and NYC are like a million miles away. There's no difference between taking Accela and flying, both in travel time and ticket price. The Amtrak is around 5 hours, pretty close to driving. So besides being a significant distance to travel, both cities have dedicated Air & Space museums that get way more tourism than any other place in the US, even more than Kennedy Space Center. I think it makes sense to give them each one.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

slidebite posted:

Seriously, one of those with Enterprise mounted on the back would be perfect considering that's how it spent most of its active service.

Okay, I was giving the people from Dayton and Seattle a bit of poo poo for their whining in the GBS thread, but I'd love to see either get Enterprise and a 747 for exactly this purpose now.

You wouldn't even need the mate/demate tools when you get there, so it would probably be the cheapest to transfer!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mr.Peabody posted:

D.C. and NYC are like a million miles away. There's no difference between taking Accela and flying, both in travel time and ticket price. The Amtrak is around 5 hours, pretty close to driving. So besides being a significant distance to travel, both cities have dedicated Air & Space museums that get way more tourism than any other place in the US, even more than Kennedy Space Center. I think it makes sense to give them each one.

OK, it's not a 15 minute bus ride but it's still a lot closer to each other than pretty much every major metro area in the US to a shuttle.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 14, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ApathyGifted posted:

You wouldn't even need the mate/demate tools when you get there, so it would probably be the cheapest to transfer!
I can see it now - all the kit to demount the orbiter is left behind, gets mothballed, and eventually either scrapped, lost or allowed to get into such a bad state it's unusable. And then the things are stuck like that, forever...

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Godholio posted:

I think it's more likely that NASA will either convert them to carry something else or mothball them (maybe at DM) until they have something worth carrying. I don't see these really getting scrapped, and I agree they'll never end up in a museum...they're just not interesting enough on their own for most people (even most aviation museum patrons).

I don't see them being converted to anything else. They're both old as gently caress and have been extensively modified to carry orbiters. On top of that, they had commercial lives before NASA bought them.

I'd like to see a shuttle farewell tour. Bring one around to all the major air shows.

Race the unlimiteds around it like a pylon

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Titan Is are pretty Aeronautically Insane, right?

Best Thursday morning ever!

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

I just hate 'em because I can't stand up straight in the middle of the aisle. Compare and contrast with the MD-11 I rode on Monday, where I could just barely touch the ceiling in the aisle.

we just got the forward section of a 100 donated to my school's AME S program; a timed out United craft.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FullMetalJacket posted:

we just got the forward section of a 100 donated to my school's AME S program; a timed out United craft.

AA donated a MD-80 to a local aviation school last year: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/13/1628667/planes-road-trip-jet-faces-tricky.html

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=n9...g.1&FORM=LMLTCC

The school is the one with planes in its parking lot; the airport is immediately west past the roads and tiny parking lot.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
that's some cool stuff, they must have a nice setup down there. The S program moved from Sault Ste Marie to London, On 2 years ago. The college built a new motive transport building to house automotive mechanical & body plus diesel, heavy equipment and farm equipment so it's only now that my instructors have room for the cool/big stuff beyond fuselages of 152, 172 210, Zlin and DA 20. Apparently there's more complete airframes to come including a helo. They also want to move the whole program to the airport and add an E program, but that's not likely to happen within the next few years.

I was learning rib stitching on wed, and got it down pat, but the starting/end knot is a bitch. I'd like to specialize in composites and do my module 1-3 so I can sign off repairs and do the same with wooden/tubular/fabric structures.

*lusts after a MD 570 NOTAR* :fap:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Godholio posted:

I think it's more likely that NASA will either convert them to carry something else or mothball them (maybe at DM) until they have something worth carrying. I don't see these really getting scrapped, and I agree they'll never end up in a museum...they're just not interesting enough on their own for most people (even most aviation museum patrons). Maybe as a combined exhibit with an orbiter, but I doubt it.

They should at least pull the mounting brackets and send them to museums.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

Goddamn it. Everything you ever post, I want to do.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Boomerjinks posted:

Best Thursday morning ever!

These are great. Photos of silos generally are dark, old or very zoomed in to one area. You've given a great idea of how an actual room looks because it's wide enough to see things.

Never seen the metal corridor junction images before, reminds me of Fallout.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Delivery McGee posted:

They should at least pull the mounting brackets and send them to museums.

That's a very helpful note on there...

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
NASA's humor is out of this world, i doubt you'd understand it. :haw:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FullMetalJacket posted:

Don't they do something with stuffed spiders too?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

FullMetalJacket posted:

:downsrim:

NASA, raising the bar for comedians everywhere.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Delta painted a couple of their airplanes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCEFGGSicw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCEFGGSicw

I'm a big fan of the "Onwards and Upwards" livery (ignore the one "flowing fabric" in the background.)

Information on the livery and logo from its introduction four years ago: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/delta_dealt_a_good_hand.php

Interesting thing in the comments:

quote:

travtravle’s comment is:
Many speculate that NWA and Delta could possibly merge. Upon exiting bankruptcy, Delta has revealed a completely redesigned aircraft paint scheme. Has anyone else found it interesting that Delta’s “widget” logo is now red (NWA’s color) and that on the aircraft tail it points to the Northwest (just like NWA’s logo)? If you place photographs of both company’s paint schemes side by side, you can see the resemblance. Both “arrows” point to the Northwest on aircraft left (the captain’s side). The opposite side, or aircraft right, is a mirror image pointing to the Northeast. Hmmmmmm? During bankruptcy, Northwest outsourced most of it’s mechanics and customer service agents. The only mainline Northwest employees remaining can be found in Northwest Hubs and Gateway stations, minimizing the impact of combining employees and seniority lists in the event of a merger. Pinnacle Airlines, a regional parter for Northwest, has just signed a deal to do business for Delta in Salt Lake City, one of Delta’s hubs. Pinnacle may also be extending that contract to operate flights out of Atlanta. Pinnacle currently operates flights out of all Northwest hubs. This new agreement with Delta will enable Pinnacle to operate from all of Delta’s hubs as well. Both Delta and Northwest are working closer together now more than ever due to their membership in SkyTeam, where Delta was a founding partner. KLM, Northwest’s main alliance partner in Europe, has now completed a merger with Air France, Delta’s main Europian partner. It seems that a merger of Delta and Northwest is highly possible. Which name of the two will remain? I am not sure.

ON MAY.04.2007 AT 09:13 AM

This was just about a year before Delta announced they were buying Northwest.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

Delta painted a couple of their airplanes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCEFGGSicw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbCEFGGSicw

I'm a big fan of the "Onwards and Upwards" livery (ignore the one "flowing fabric" in the background.)

Information on the livery and logo from its introduction four years ago: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/delta_dealt_a_good_hand.php

Interesting thing in the comments:

This was just about a year before Delta announced they were buying Northwest.

The minute that Richard Anderson got hired at Delta NWA employees knew a merger was in the works. That was just around the exit of bankruptcy. Soon we'll be fully integrated. NWA employees had a good laugh when we first saw their new livery because of the widget pointing the same exact way as the compass did, as we had the "nwa" around the time of our bankruptcy as a rebranding effort but no airplane had the exact same shade of silver on the fuselage.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

Tell you what Senator, send us a Saturn V and you can have the Enterprise.

Gee, even whining like a little bitch is bigger in Texas...

(ne: not you, the Senator!!!)

Enker
Sep 29, 2007

That guys head is made of soft serve ice cream
Abandoned missile silos seem like one of the more dangerous places to go urban exploring. Have to wonder what's collected in the silo itself. The water is probably toxic as hell by now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Enker posted:

Abandoned missile silos seem like one of the more dangerous places to go urban exploring. Have to wonder what's collected in the silo itself. The water is probably toxic as hell by now.

That's even before you consider the pitch blackness, doorways with hundred foot drop-offs on the other side, rusted/unstable stairs and stuff like asbestos in abundance. You've got to be a pharmaceutical-grade idiot to UrbEx in an abandoned missile silo.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

MrChips posted:

That's even before you consider the pitch blackness, doorways with hundred foot drop-offs on the other side, rusted/unstable stairs

Urban exploration is super dangerous if you spend the entire time sprinting without a flashlight.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Boomerjinks posted:

Urban exploration is super dangerous if you spend the entire time sprinting without a flashlight.

Someone should make a duct-tape mod for that.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PatrickBateman posted:

The minute that Richard Anderson got hired at Delta NWA employees knew a merger was in the works. That was just around the exit of bankruptcy. Soon we'll be fully integrated. NWA employees had a good laugh when we first saw their new livery because of the widget pointing the same exact way as the compass did, as we had the "nwa" around the time of our bankruptcy as a rebranding effort but no airplane had the exact same shade of silver on the fuselage.
(emphasis BonzoESC's)

I've heard on FlyerTalk that the only big task left is allowing heterogeneous flight and cabin crews; as it is each crew on an aircraft are either all-NW or all-DL. Does that sound familiar?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Airliners.net always has the best pictures.

Just the right amount of grime:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gorilla Salad posted:

Airliners.net always has the best pictures.

Just the right amount of grime:

Model makers spend a disturbing amount of time trying to get things like grime right.