Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Methodis posted:

My guesses:

What game made you dream of the stars? Star Trek Online
What game made you ride with the outlaws? Desperados
What game made you fear your past? Chronicles of Riddick
What game made you feel like a hero? Champions Online

Why would they have MMOs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I missed the show, but did they just only announce more Atari stuff? They didn't put new stuff on their site just for more content from a publisher they already had? If so, that's pretty drat lame.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Why would they have MMOs?

Champions is free to play, and Star Trek is rumored to go F2P too. MMO's are good games also.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
man that's kinda dumb. I was hoping for some super awesome news like Grim Fandango coming out but noooo

For some reason I can't get past the really bad graphics of Alone in the Dark, despite loving and playing lots of old games with bad graphics. Just find it hard to view it as scary

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kuddles posted:

Ah, GoG. I see they are continuing their legacy of having lovely marketing stunts that gets their audience annoyed.

And everyone still bites on the hype for each one (myself included)

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
free witcher avatars yesssssss

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I seriously doubt they're gonna sell MMOs.

Also, wouldn't it be much more appealing for potential buyers to see the 'Alone in the Dark Trilogy for 5.99' instead of 'Alone in the Dark (plus AitD 2 and 3 for FREE)'?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
They're awesome at the hype, but they really mismatch it with their payoff.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
By Square Enix they probably mean Eidos, dont think were seeing any japanese games on gog but it would be cool.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, wouldn't it be much more appealing for potential buyers to see the 'Alone in the Dark Trilogy for 5.99' instead of 'Alone in the Dark (plus AitD 2 and 3 for FREE)'?

2 FREE GAMES

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/atari-inc/list-games/

There's a list of all of Atari's games if anyone wants to go through.

The hints:

What game made you dream of the stars?
What game made you ride with the outlaws?
What game made you fear your past?
What game made you go to the underground?
What game made you feel like a hero?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Methodis posted:

Champions is free to play, and Star Trek is rumored to go F2P too. MMO's are good games also.

I don't know. When I think Good Old Games I think of good old games not games from a few years ago that couldn't generate enough revenue.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

They did just confirm that they've signed one of the Big Five, and that another two seem likely to follow. They're still keeping quiet on which ones they are, but it's good news anyway. Those big five ARE all very big news.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Absolutely. In fact in the presentation they had a nice black cover picture for "Alone in the Dark Trilogy", so why not in-store.

This sucks:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Methodis posted:

I'm not saying they can't be good games, but neither has been out for more than a couple of years, and it's not really the sort of thing GOG are known for

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Methodis posted:

What game made you dream of the stars?

Clearly it's X-COM Interceptor. :colbert:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Methodis posted:

CD Projekt is a game development studio going to release a big game in the next month. Hardly a "niche".
CD Projekt Red is a game development studio going to release a big game in the next month. CD Projekt (sans Red) is a large Polish publisher/localisation outfit who set up CD Projekt Red as a development studio and also set up GOG (separately from Red)as well as some other things in Poland.
:goonsay:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm not disappointed at all with the announcement. I've always wanted to play Alone in the Dark and now I have a chance to, plus we pretty much got confirmation that by the end of the year, most if not all of the last five big name publishers will be on gog. That's pretty big news!

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Wait, dig this. What if they had the big name all lined up and the press conference announced and then something went wrong and they had to alter the message. What if it was some last minute thing that fell through... possible?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

synertia posted:

Wait, dig this. What if they had the big name all lined up and the press conference announced and then something went wrong and they had to alter the message. What if it was some last minute thing that fell through... possible?

Given that all the mystery clues turned out to be for the Atari games, it's doubtful

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I guess we'll be getting the next new game Tuesday, then.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Rirse posted:

If it was Eidos, I would how hard would it be for GoG to get the Final Fantasy VII and VIII PC ports working on modern system.

Did they even work on systems when they were released? I have VII and VIII in pristine condition for the PS1 but would still buy them for PC even though they work perfectly on my PS2 or PC via emulator.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

synertia posted:

Doubtful. I think they're just extremely Polish.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I played VII and VIII on PC. Graphics have aged horribly, and I get headaches from playing the PC version of VII. Controls were better for VIII then VII.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mr Right posted:

Did they even work on systems when they were released? I have VII and VIII in pristine condition for the PS1 but would still buy them for PC even though they work perfectly on my PS2 or PC via emulator.

It wouldn't be too difficult to get them to work, actually. I had the pc version installed on my vista machine a couple of years ago and there was a single 10 megabyte patch I had to run and voilá. Working perfectly.

Great games.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I wonder if they asked Peter Monyleux for advice on generating hype? :allears:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I hope you guys like Tomb Raider :v:

What's the chance that only AitD 1 is working properly in modern systems and hence why the other two were thrown in as "bonus" content?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Saoshyant posted:

I hope you guys like Tomb Raider :v:

What's the chance that only AitD 1 is working properly in modern systems and hence why the other two were thrown in as "bonus" content?

I doubt they'd do that but I'll know within 30 minutes :D

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dilber posted:

I played VII and VIII on PC. Graphics have aged horribly, and I get headaches from playing the PC version of VII. Controls were better for VIII then VII.

Never got a chance to buy this (they had a copy at Half Price Books but it was the bootleg copy and I returned it), but I was really interested in all the graphical mods they made for FFVII.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
I was under impression that he meant two new publishers in general, not two from the big five.

synertia posted:

I am imagining Curb Your Enthusiasm like plot where they had LucasArts in the bag but then the french guy joked about boners to George Lucas and offended him.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I guess I'm the only one that dug the whole polygon midget graphics of FF7? It's rather endearing :3:

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
AITD 1 works great for me in Win 7.

edit: The other two work fine for me too, no need to worry.

Nthman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 14, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Essobie posted:

It IS pronounced Gamefacks. It is NOT pronounced gog. Americans are freaky, but we pick and choose what we pronounce and how.

Are you telling me that both are meant to be pronounced a certain way, and then telling me that we're allowed to pick and choose?

Also, if a website has a Frequently Asked Questions section, do you call it a "Fack"? Not a rhetorical question.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Square-Enix is the only one I'd be disappointed by.

Microsoft owns Fury3 :dance:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I guess I'm the only one that dug the whole polygon midget graphics of FF7? It's rather endearing :3:

Yes. You are the only one.

Also, I totally say Eff-Ay-Que.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

teethgrinder posted:

Square-Enix is the only one I'd be disappointed by.

Microsoft owns Fury3 :dance:

Square would bring Thief and Legacy of Kain. That would own.

Speaking of Fury3, I'm surprised they haven't added Terminal Velocity yet

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Also, I totally say Eff-Ay-Que.

Me too, and I say Gee-Oh-Gee

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Microsoft also owns Freelancer doesn't it? That was a great game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hope they add Jack in the Dark to the AitD trilogy at a later date even though it sucked rear end.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lodin posted:

Hope they add Jack in the Dark to the AitD trilogy at a later date even though it sucked rear end.

GOG posted:

Includes Jack in the Dark bonus adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Microsoft also owns Freelancer doesn't it? That was a great game.

And Starlancer, that would be nice

EDIT: And Chip's Challenge, which to be honest would make all the blueballing worth it