Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
@ BradleyJamers, check compression on both the cold and the warm engine. Valves that are too tight will become worse as the engine warms and they may not close all the way, and valves that are too loose will be noisy cold.

When riding down the road, I stopped at a light and a bub pulled up next to me and yelled "sounds like you've got a loose valve! It's quite noisy!" and I replied "Just one? Something must be wrong." My Enfield prefers slightly looser valves compared to other manufacturers. I know when they're too tight because I get less resistance with the kickstarter because they're not closing all the way.

Oh my did I type a post about tappets and pushrods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Geirskogul posted:

@ BradleyJamers, check compression on both the cold and the warm engine. Valves that are too tight will become worse as the engine warms and they may not close all the way, and valves that are too loose will be noisy cold.

The service manual says to check the valves when the engine is cold, which I did. I was more concerned if I was perhaps on the exhaust stroke compared to the compression stroke. Reading more online I should have checked to see if the rocker arms had some play in them to determine if it was on compression stroke since all 4 valves would be closed and the tappets would have some clearance on them.

When I checked the valves, the exhaust were tighter than even my 0.03mm gauge while the intake's had enough to fit my 0.05 in (spec for them is 0.03 to 0.05) so I'm thinking I could have hosed up since it would be odd that the exhaust would be that tight. But it didn't run different and it sounded a bit quieter, except for the new noise I noticed on my test run after it fully warmed up.

Looks like I'll have to spend a couple more hours Monday doing it again to make sure I did it right. As long as I didn't do serious damage I won't mind spending more time making it right. That and it should go faster this time around

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You're on the right track, you can tell if you're on the compression or the exhaust stroke by seeing if there's tension on the exhaust rocker arms. If you couldn't fit your .03 in there and the bike wasn't running like poo poo, chances are it was on the wrong stroke when you checked it. Rotate the engine over, check the tension on the rockers, and then turn it over again, and see how the tension changes.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tore apart my carbs to rediagnose the problem with them. Two broken and poorly repaired float pivot posts and some stripped threads on the float bowl on one of those and one of the ones with in-tact posts. One good carb body out of four. :toot:

So I bought another set, from which hopefully I will be able to assemble a good, working setup. Also picked up a radiator shroud and some new coils.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

Changed out my ancient (in both design and manufacture) rear tire for a new one. Traded an AVON SM MKII for a KENDA K671.

http://geirskogul.imgur.com/enfield_tire_change_2011

You definitely got your moneys worth out of that tire, drat

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Forty Two posted:

Geirskogul posted:

Changed out my ancient (in both design and manufacture) rear tire for a new one. Traded an AVON SM MKII for a KENDA K671.

http://geirskogul.imgur.com/enfield_tire_change_2011

'07? That's nothing.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
I rode 200+ miles yesterday to break in the new Pilot Road 2's. I don't know if it was me or what but the bike sounds "different" and road "different." Bike handled fine but it was too drat windy to know for sure.

Originally there was like 10 Harley's out front. All it took was my R6 and my buddies Goldwing to make them scatter. HA HA HA

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Forty Two posted:

The problem is I bought the bike in late 2009 and had only put 1,500 miles on that tire. loving dealers.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Decided it's time to get my bike re-registered after sitting for about 8 months, charged it over night, went home at lunch time to take it in for an inspection and it started in about 2 seconds with a bit of choke, good old 1990 Honda reliability! :D

Rudager fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 12, 2011

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Did the fork seals on my 82 CB900C, that was a messy job but not as bad as I thought it would be. I am glad my dad's gold wing buddy was there to give me a hand and advice as I thought I was just going to break someing pulling the sliders off.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pulled the driveshaft from the swingarm so I can finally get the frame over to be powdercoated. Also ordered my new seat.

This one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Added a cell phone holder.

Ugly but functional.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Tring tring..

Boss: "Hey HNasty, it's your boss here"
HNasty: "PSSsssssshhhhooooooooovvvvfffffffffff"
Boss: "I need you to come in early tomorrow..."
HNasty: "FFFFfffvvvvvvvoooooooooooeeeeeuuuuuuuuu"
Boss: "... Hello? HNasty..? Are you there?!?"
HNasty: "Fsssfffffssfsfsssssssffffff"

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

KARMA! posted:

Tring tring..

Boss: "Hey HNasty, it's your boss here"
HNasty: "PSSsssssshhhhooooooooovvvvfffffffffff"
Boss: "I need you to come in early tomorrow..."
HNasty: "FFFFfffvvvvvvvoooooooooooeeeeeuuuuuuuuu"
Boss: "... Hello? HNasty..? Are you there?!?"
HNasty: "Fsssfffffssfsfsssssssffffff"

First of all I am the baaawws.

Fool: Yo Hnasty where you at?

Like a Bawws: I'm out rayeling maaafucka! **Wheelies to eternity.

(I have a blue tooth headset :3 )

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

HNasty posted:

Added a cell phone holder.

I actually was deciding between that mount and the medium aquabox. Ended up going with the aqua, mounted it in the same spot on my monster.

Those ram mounts are really nice.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Put the fairings on after painting them.

Didn't get to wet sand since my street is town up and water is off.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Installed manual cam chain tensioner in the F2, gone with the rattles! (most of it)

Pretty easy job once you get all the hoses and clutch cable outta the way. I tightened the plunger screw until it was finger tight then started it up, still had the rattle so I kept tightening slowly until the obnoxious rattle went away. Revved it a few times and it sounded fine with no more rattles!

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

added this, IRC bro for life.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

HNasty posted:

added this, IRC bro for life.

I still need to get down to the DMV...maybe this afternoon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Got the DRZ inspected six months after it expired and went riding.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Woops.

And removed the wheels because they're getting some new shoes somewhere next week. Ask me how PR3s compare to the old exedra's. :P

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Coming home down 880 something caused my front sprocket cover to grenade, taking with it one of the wires running into the gearbox, killing all the electronics and the bike. Had to spend the next hour MacGyvering a patch wire out of headphone cable in a hotel parking lot. Thank god I had a knife and electrical tape in my bag. And of course I then had to push start the loving thing. I hate push starting singles.

I have the worst motorcycle luck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

Coming home down 880 something caused my front sprocket cover to grenade, taking with it one of the wires running into the gearbox, killing all the electronics and the bike. Had to spend the next hour MacGyvering a patch wire out of headphone cable in a hotel parking lot. Thank god I had a knife and electrical tape in my bag. And of course I then had to push start the loving thing. I hate push starting singles.

I have the worst motorcycle luck.

:psyduck:

Any idea what it was?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

:psyduck:

Any idea what it was?

No clue. Originally I thought the transmission grenaded, but it seems to be shifting just fine now. One second I was downshifting and braking preparing for traffic up a head, the next second I hear what sounds like an explosion from the left side of my bike and everything goes dead. Only thing I can guess is something managed to hop up, get caught in the chain, and slam through the sprocket cover. The cover was completely torn off and the bolts are super bent out of shape. That gold piece of metal, what is supposedly the "front chain plate" is terrifyingly close to the chain now. Need to pull everything off and see if theres any other damage and what needs to be replaced.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

No clue. Originally I thought the transmission grenaded, but it seems to be shifting just fine now. One second I was downshifting and braking preparing for traffic up a head, the next second I hear what sounds like an explosion from the left side of my bike and everything goes dead. Only thing I can guess is something managed to hop up, get caught in the chain, and slam through the sprocket cover. The cover was completely torn off and the bolts are super bent out of shape. That gold piece of metal, what is supposedly the "front chain plate" is terrifyingly close to the chain now. Need to pull everything off and see if theres any other damage and what needs to be replaced.

What's bizarre is that the front sprocket plate is bent towards the chain, not away from it like you'd expect if something hitched a ride in on the chain, or the chain flew off somehow. You don't have excessive slack or a loose spot in your chain, do you?

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
'80 CM400A

Insured
wiped down
chrome polished
gas tank waxed
fixed throttle issue, discovered rusted out/broken throttle push cord
topped off oil
refilled gas
rode 40 miles

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

New front/rear sprocket and chain on Friday. Spent a long time today removing all the flung off chain lube from the back of my bike because I forgot to clean it first (no chain guard to catch it, not usually a problem with chain wax). :saddowns:

Rest of the day was spent moving my R/R, removing a drat meter worth of emissions tubing and crank case/idle breather poo poo. Cleaned up the electrical loom and re-zip tied everything. Also moved from the airbox to pod filters.

Thing runs really well now.

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
I tried using JB Weld to glue my headlight case back together. It cracked back apart before I even put the screws back in. God, why did my step brother think he could ride a motorcycle?
:negative:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

What's bizarre is that the front sprocket plate is bent towards the chain, not away from it like you'd expect if something hitched a ride in on the chain, or the chain flew off somehow. You don't have excessive slack or a loose spot in your chain, do you?

I'd guess that something caused it to push outward near the rear, which pushed the front in as it pivoted on the bolts and exploded everything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

I'd guess that something caused it to push outward near the rear, which pushed the front in as it pivoted on the bolts and exploded everything.

Ahh, I see. That's an interesting theory.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I spent all day working on the WR250R. I really need to get into the habit of looking up instructions before diving into a job. Also, working on a bike all day with no food makes MotoMind cranky.

I got a Tubliss kit front and rear for the bike, and didn't realize in advance that I needed to drill extra holes for the pair of valves, one on the Tubliss inner tube, the other for the tire.

So off I went to rent a drill for a completely reasonable $6 and got a stepped drill bit for $20.

Got back, spent an hour loving the tire and rim with lubricated tire irons and praying that I didn't nick the Tubliss carcass (it has to seal against the inside of the tire bead).

Heads up for anyone planning to do this, the alignment of inner tube valve and main valve is a bitch. It might look aligned when you test fit it, but when you actually press it into the narrower circumference of the center of the rim, the spacing is actually too wide. So on the front I ended up going for a closer initial spacing. They both turned out about the same. Fairly straight is good enough for me.

Then I lubed up all the linkage joints (loving grease gets everywhere and sticks to everything and everything sticks to it), and also THANKS YAMAHA FOR PUTTING IN ONE RANDOM UNCAGED BEARING AS A SURPRISE. :argh: I managed to keep the needles from scattering like leaves in the wind and got everything back together by the light of my headlamp. Woop.

Up next:

(continued 10K service on new-to-me bike)

* Grease steering stem
* Check/adjust valves (doing it 15K early, as 26k intervals are recommended)
* Install Fuzeblock
* Install new o-ring chain
* Put in fresh front brake pads
* Install new spark plug
* Input new FMF fuel programmer settings
* Possibly change fork oil, but after spending 4 days loving with my KLR suspension I'd rather not do this given that Yamaha doesn't ask for it
* Tweak lever adjustment/height, swap risers from KLR
* Remove risers and/or install new handlebars
* Install G2 throttle tube with slow cam (stupid snatchy low-speed FI)

I'll probably do the first two next Saturday, and start on the third, hopefully complete Sunday. I hate wires and crimping and poo poo. Can't seem to ever get a connection I'm totally happy with, but it takes practice.

Once I'm done with that list, I get to test fit my luggage, and see if I can fit between 6 and 7 gallons of gas on the WR. My Safari tank gives me something like 3.5 gallons of gas so I'm not sure how to make up the balance, but I've seen it done.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Rear pads installed, cleaned my rims. drat they were dirty!

.. and forgot to tighten the bolts of one of my front brakes beyond hand-tight. :eek: Good thing I thought cleaning the wheels deserved a quick romp around the countryside for about five hours...

.. but the only reason I knew something was wrong was when the lower bolt worked itself out the next day and the front wheel gained a weird sound.

I'm still waiting on the garage to ring me about the new rubber, so I might as well take a break riding and find myself a bolt.

That's karma for you I guess! :haw:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

It is a warm night in SF (low 60s and 95% humidity), or maybe my metabolism is being weird from doing a lot of exercise lately, so I spent a couple hours working by headlamp, test-fitting 10L and 6L MSR Dromedary bags from REI. If the grommets are as strong as I think they are, I'm well on my way to a set of ghetto rear rally tanks using the 10L bags. I'll either return the 6L or strap them like tank panniers up front and use them for water. Not that I really need that much water with a filtration system, but why not...I can use it for sanitation and squirt gun fights.

On a side note, I was working on the sidewalk in front of my apartment as usual and tonight some guy walking his bicycle rolled by at around 11pm, stopped near me and said in a thick German accent, "How dare you do vatever you're doing at night! I am calling zee poleez, you bettah run!" I looked up, blinding him with my headlamp, and went back to work.

On the upside, some Spanish tourist was trying to take his girlfriend to Chinatown at 10pm (?) and they did the whole "I know where I'm going"/"my feet hurt and we should ask for directions" thing in front of me before asking. I was able to help. :3:

...so many tourists pass by my apartment every day that I practically feel like an ambassador of American motor culture when I'm out there.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 19, 2011

Drache
Aug 26, 2000
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Slippery Tilde
Chased down a problem with my tail light to the unit itself so now I've got to wait for another one to arrive. This wouldn't be so bad but it's an integrated unit so I won't have a rear brake light or turn signals until I get it replaced. :(

Exxon Hess
Nov 12, 2008
Finished up the SV1000 Water Pump Seal fix that they all have to have done. Filled up with fresh oil and coolant, and I have no more drips, and the sightglass doesn't look like I filled it with chocolate milk.

Of course, it's raining all week, and the town has decided to tear up the roads and put steel plates everywhere. :argh:

http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20448

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

What's that...?

Some assembly required..

:neckbeard:

This thing is pretty trick too. Just gettin' my bike AMA ready :smug:

Holyfuck I love having aftermarket rearsets so much. It's so much more comfortable because I can actually hold onto the bike with my feet and legs now. It's taken a huge strain off my wrists. Still getting used to not having to ride on my toes though. Though I must say that it's WEIRD feeling when your foot is resting on the swingarm as you go through a turn.

Also GP shift is the bees knees.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 20, 2011

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Steering stem greased. Thanks Japan for not greasing bearings properly, things might get messy if you did that.

Removed stock turn signals and found a decent place on the headlight cowling for replacement LED signals. Still need to figure out how to connect the new signals to the wonky Yamaha three-pole connectors. Inclined to clip the wires from the bulbous stock indicators and splice so I can use the stock connector receptacles.

Removed airbox flapper. Apparently its sole purpose is to reduce noise in the EPA driveby test. :bravo:

Removal of airbox flapper yields me a logical place to put my Fuzeblock.

Installed radiator guard. Thanks aftermarket vendor, it's not important at all to test the fit of your product on the most common aftermarket gas tank. Oh well, I had to pry the aluminum a bit and file. The bends are looking a tiny bit fatigued now, but it's thick enough aluminum that it should do the job.

To-do list:

* Grease steering stem
* Install radiator guard
* Identify Fuzeblock and turn signal placement
* Check/adjust valves (doing it 15K early, as 26k intervals are recommended)
* Continue fitting Dromedary fuel/water bags
* Purchase new straps for Dromedary bags?
* Input new FMF fuel programmer settings
* Install new o-ring chain
* Install new spark plug
* Install turn signals
* Put in fresh front brake pads
* Possibly change fork oil, but after spending 4 days loving with my KLR suspension I'd rather not do this given that Yamaha doesn't ask for it
* Tweak lever adjustment/height, swap risers from KLR
* Remove risers and/or install new handlebars
* Install new Progrip 714 grips

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 20, 2011

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

MotoMind posted:

* Install new Progrip 714 grips

I just put both of those on my Monster like a month ago, both are really nice. The G2 and changing some teeth on my sprockets really calmed down the FI snatchiness in first and second around the city.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My KTM 450 EXC just rolled over 110 hours (which is like 20 hours past piston replacement interval according to the manual.) Needs an oil change, the valves were at the limit when I checked 15 hours ago, c/s seal is keeping the chain well oiled with transmission oil, waffle grips have been worn down to smooth, missing a mirror, every bulb is burned out for the tenth time, right rear turn signal is melted AGAIN, and it needs to be geared down a bit. So I did what any good KTM owner does and decided I'd had enough of loving around with this thing in my garage and dropped it off at the shop to be serviced. I can't wait for it to get back so I can pretend to know how to ride offroad again.

So with only one bike in the garage I did the best thing I could do for my SV650 and brought it to a big empty parking lot to run some panic drills and tight cornering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Had to replace another clutch cable after it just let go with no warning. On my way to work. At 4pm. On Easter Thursday. On one of the busiest roads in the city.

:suicide:

Managed to back-street with no clutch to my mechanics, who had just had a blackout! Even better! But they made one on the spot so I was only about an hour late, because some dipshit taxi driver also decided it would be great to crash into someone on the Harbour Bridge.

Oh, and I need a new cam chain sooner rather than later.

Whoopie!