Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

EDIT: Hell yes I dashed it out in Paint. Caesar would've wanted it that way.

Mary Annette fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well that's going in Handbook: Grand Duchy of Furillo for sure. "The Furillan Reserve: Haulin' rear end, Gettin' Paid" can go right between "Higher Education in the Grand Duchy: Get Away From Your Parents and gently caress Non-Stop" and "Furillo Intelligence Service: Black Turtlenecks Standard Issue."

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 14, 2011

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

landcollector posted:

Either way, I'd leave riot control to either local police or more conventional militia forces. Using mech mounted MGs just feels like overkill to me...

BT canon acknowledges this; one of the reasons that the Clans' Second Exodus occurred was because all they had to try to stop the civil unrest across the Pentagon Worlds was leftover SLDF 'mechs, and the number of unintended civilian casualties while completely failing to control the crowds just made things worse, and led to them giving up completely and going to Strana Mechty until Operation Klondike.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Holy poo poo. Did I just reach the end of the thread? YESSS!

I had tried to keep up with this thread before, but the number of unread replies just kept going up. When it hit 5k and held there I said screw it and just read the actual updates.

Hell of an LP you've got going PTN. I tried to get into MechWarrior a couple years back, but all my local gaming place had was the wizkids set; which I discovered was garbage. I've got Mek-Tek on my desktop now, but I haven't had time to try it or read any rule sets. Also, the free download for MechWarrior 4 isn't working for me. Anybody have any information on what I can do to fix that?

Looking forward to some G Gundam'esque Mech Fisticuff antics. If only you could set your Mech's fists on fire so that the other Mech shuts down from overheating...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Holy poo poo. Did I just reach the end of the thread? YESSS!

I had tried to keep up with this thread before, but the number of unread replies just kept going up. When it hit 5k and held there I said screw it and just read the actual updates.

Hell of an LP you've got going PTN. I tried to get into MechWarrior a couple years back, but all my local gaming place had was the wizkids set; which I discovered was garbage. I've got Mek-Tek on my desktop now, but I haven't had time to try it or read any rule sets. Also, the free download for MechWarrior 4 isn't working for me. Anybody have any information on what I can do to fix that?

Looking forward to some G Gundam'esque Mech Fisticuff antics. If only you could set your Mech's fists on fire so that the other Mech shuts down from overheating...

Yes. We need a machine which can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwyVV5_orBo

I wonder how the Clanners would react?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Longinus00 posted:

If the Union is landed and the Madcat pilot isn't an idiot then the union will never hit the Madcat. The Madcat (most versions anyway) outranges the Union. If you want to make it funny then put a 2/8 Fortress upgrade against a 0/0 Madcat and see which comes out on top.
The Madcat moves full speed in a circle around the dropship at long range, using the immobile mod to cancel the range mod and hitting automatically with everything that's in range.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Arquinsiel posted:

The Madcat moves full speed in a circle around the dropship at long range, using the immobile mod to cancel the range mod and hitting automatically with everything that's in range.

If it moves in a circle, it's going to run into a lot of Long Tom shells along the way.

This is very silly. Let's see a Zeus punch a Loki in the face with its LRM-15!

What's up with "Lucerne," by the way?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

The Merry Marauder posted:

What's up with "Lucerne," by the way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucerne_hammer is the source of the name, I'm pretty sure. I endorse more mechs being named after weapons, Wing Commander fighter-style.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Mukaikubo posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucerne_hammer is the source of the name, I'm pretty sure. I endorse more mechs being named after weapons, Wing Commander fighter-style.

I suppose it beats Glaive-guisarme, though some part of my brain just told me there's a vehicle called the Glaive, so welp.

It's entertaining for me, since I grew up in NE Pennsylvania, so I can't help but wonder if the Clans are from Wilkes-Barre.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Merry Marauder posted:

This is very silly. Let's see a Zeus punch a Loki in the face with its LRM-15!

Just as the creators of the Steiner Honor Rules intended!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

landcollector posted:

Yes. We need a machine which can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwyVV5_orBo

I wonder how the Clanners would react?

They would probably just punch you in the face while you were busy performing a dramatic powerup.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mukaikubo posted:

That is indeed the source (having been given the choice to name it by PTN). I tried to go for some sort of Warhammer-derived name. It also helped that it was a somewhat Teutonic name which I felt would fit within Steiner naming logic.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Volmarias posted:

They would probably just punch shoot you in the face while you were busy performing a dramatic powerup.

Fixed, and agreed with. My imagining is without the powerup sequence. After all, this is war, not a shonen anime, and grandstanding like Domon's will result in nothing but a quick and ignominious death.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

landcollector posted:

Fixed, and agreed with. My imagining is without the powerup sequence. After all, this is war, not a shonen anime, and grandstanding like Domon's will result in nothing but a quick and ignominious death.

In the Clans, grandstanding is almost required.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Defiance Industries posted:

It still sounds like a bad idea especially if your opponent is carrying TAG.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Perhaps, but wasn't it agreed upon earlier in the thread that the Clans have long forgotten what war is really like?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

landcollector posted:

Perhaps, but wasn't it agreed upon earlier in the thread that the Clans have long forgotten what war is really like?

In the grim dark future, there is only animu

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Volmarias posted:

Clearly the Clans developed the practice of taking bondsmen as an attempt to catch 'em all.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Volmarias posted:

That is both grim, and dark. And probably accurate. So sad.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Magni posted:

Eh, he did tell them that many of the less experienced Steiner units fail to understand the rules. Flimsy? Yeah, but it's still an excuse.

And that's why you mount a water cannon and tear gas SRM on it. Well, unless you're the Cappellan Confederation (under Mad Max, Romano or Kali) or the Draconis Combine. "Crowd control? Isn't that what the Firestarter is for?" :flame:

Yeah, was about to say that. I couldn't remember where I'd read about those alterations though.

But yes, MGs and flame weaponry are the foremost form of riot control in the IS. Wait, what do the Clans use again?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Orbital bombardment.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, was about to say that. I couldn't remember where I'd read about those alterations though.

But yes, MGs and flame weaponry are the foremost form of riot control in the IS. Wait, what do the Clans use again?

It depends on the Clan actually, clans that treat their non warrior caste poorly could use the same if not worse.

Orbital bombardment.

oh smoke jaguar what won't you hilariously gently caress up? :allears:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Volmarias posted:

Well there goes my plans to live forever. :suicide:

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Clearly the Clans developed the practice of taking bondsmen as an attempt to catch 'em all.

That is so brilliantly groan-worthy. :golfclap:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Axe-man posted:

oh smoke jaguar what won't you hilariously gently caress up? :allears:

They can't screw up anything anymore :smug:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
They can in this reality. However, I think the Vipers might be given a chance to out do them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Polaron posted:

They can't screw up anything anymore :smug:

Sure they can. They certainly screwed up 'actually existing' badly enough that I can't feel as good about making jokes at their expense anymore. Ok, I take it back, they're still fun to make fun of. They're just less fun to taunt.

Update soon, ish. Just have some consciousness rolls to make.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

Like, normal 3+ consciousness rolls? Or oh shiiiiit 7+ consciousness rolls. :ohdear:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arquinsiel posted:

Dropship uses its shooting while landed mod and hits the madcat mk 2 most of the time while having erppcs and gauss rifles with way more ammunition than the madcat mk 2 has. Dropship also doesn't have to worry about tacs or headshots while the madcat mk 2 does.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please tell me someone took a punch to the face. :neckbeard:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I'm thinking the Cyclopes just had its eye mugged.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I'm thinking the Cyclopes just had its eye mugged.

Yeah, I don't think the Zeus/Lucerne fight is starting this turn.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bite down on your belt to stay conscious, Colonel. Anyone who survives this is getting promotions and commendations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Vipers of Somerset: Tactical Update 11

Movement Phase
Random Ace Beta: B5 Lucerne!
Random Ace Gamma: G4 Unknown Assault 4!

B4 Mugger runs to hex 1022

Combat Phase:
L* Cyclops holds fire!
L* Cyclops gains 2 heat, sinks 12! Now at Overheat 0!

L2 Zeus holds fire
L2 Zeus gains 2 heat, sinks 17! Now at Overheat 0!

B2 Thunderchild holds fire!
B2 Thunderchild gains 6 heat, sinks 34! Now at overheat 0!

B4 Mugger fires LRM 20 w/ Artemis IV at L* Cyclops (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 11, 20 missiles hit Left Arm (6/15 structure remains (critical chance)), Head (2/9 armor remains), Left Torso (4/20 armor remains), Right Arm (1/10 armor remains)! Pilot hit!
B4 Mugger fires LRM 20 w/ Artemis IV at L* Cyclops (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 4, miss!
B4 Mugger fires Small Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (0/10 armor, 11/15 structure remains)! Critical chance!
B4 Mugger fires Small Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (8/30 armor remains)!
B4 Mugger fires Small Laser at L* Cyclops (3 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 0 range + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 8, hit Right Torso (0/20 armor, 16/19 structure remains)! Critical chance!
B4 Mugger gains 23 heat, sinks 28! Now at overheat 0!

B5 Lucerne holds fire!
B5 Lucerne gains 1 heat, sinks 26! Now at overheat 0!

End Phase
L* Cyclops critical chance in Left Arm! No critical hit sustained!

L* Cyclops critical chance in Right Arm! No critical hit sustained!

L* Cyclops critical chance in Right Torso! No critical hit sustained!

L* Cyclops must make a 5+ consciousness test or fall unconscious: rolled 5, succeeds!

L* Cyclops must make a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage + 0 hexes moved = 6): rolled 11, succeeds!

Physical Combat Phase:

End Phase:
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1408 (downwind), rolled 2, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1409 (downwind), rolled 3, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1608 (downwind), rolled 5, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 9+ to spread to 1708 (downwind), rolled 11, fire spreads!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1409 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 8, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1508 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 3, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1608 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 10, fire fails to spread!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1708 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 12, hex already on fire!
Fire needs 11+ to spread to 1807 (60 degrees from downwind), rolled 12, fire spreads!

L* Cyclops uproots a club!

L2 Zeus gains 5 heat due to fire, sinks 15! Now at overheat 0!

Samantha winced as the Colonel’s outline turned a vivid red. She spared a moment to hope the Colonel was giving as good as he was getting, but couldn’t spare him another thought as the heat in her cockpit skyrocketed. Her ammo monitor sputtered and started skipping—it always had been testy in high temperatures. Sam herself was hardly immune to the heat and cloying smoke—in an environment like this, a hit to her life support could be deadly. The small manmade forest meant to somewhat cushion the roar of a descending dropship wasn’t watered during the winter months, and the entire copse had gone up like a stand of matchsticks.

Sam could barely make anything out in all the smoke, and quietly wondered if this was such a good idea after all.

“Come and get me, Clanner,” she taunted, strengthening her resolve.

“Let this fire be our crucible; or our pyre,” the Clanner replied. Samantha swallowed—he had ice in his veins. “May we both earn a place in the Remembrance of our peoples.”

He paused an instant, then recited:
“Like shining stars the warriors descended,
A fiery rain to purify and punish,
Yet even angels can be corrupted,
Brought low by base desires.”

Samantha wished she could wipe the sweat from her brow. “Did you come here to fight, or read poetry?”

Enemy Forces:
B2 Thunderchild: Jumps to hex 0210!
B4 Mugger: Runs to hex 1020!
B5 Lucerne: Waiting to move!
G1 Unknown Assault 1: Remains Stationary!
G2 Unknown Assault 2: Remains Stationary!
G3 Unknown Assault 3: Remains Stationary!
G4 Unknown Assault 4: Remains Stationary!
G5 Unknown Assault 5: Remains Stationary!

Mission Objectives
Defeat Beta Star! (Partial Victory)
Survive! (10/20 Turns) (Total Victory)

Ace Note: Previous turn's movement will be in black, current turn's movement will be in green!

CP-10-Z Cyclops
Weight: 90 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 2/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 4/20 (19/19)
LT R A(S): 8/8
CT A(S): 8/30 (29/29)
CT R A(S): 11/11
RT A(S): 0/20 (16/19)
RT R A(S): 8/8
LA A(S): 0/10 (6/15)
RA A(S): 0/10 (11/15)
LL A(S): 9/17 (19/19)
RL A(S): 9/17 (19/19)
Heat: 1/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 12
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Colonel Aldo Rossi
Mechwarrior Player: WarLocke
Mechwarrior Status: Shrapnel wound, minor coolant poisoning (consciousness 5+)!
Armament:
Autocannon 20 – RT (Heat: 8, Ammo: 16, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
LRM 10 – LT (Heat: 4, Ammo: 11, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – RA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – LA (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: DESTROYED!)
SRM 4 – CT (Heat: 3, Ammo: 22, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: Medium Laser destroyed!
Notes: 2 hands

ZEU-6S Zeus
Weight: 80 tons (Assault)
HD A(S): 9/9 (3/3)
LT A(S): 18/18 (17/17)
LT R A(S): 6/6
CT A(S): 26/26 (25/25)
CT R A(S): 9/9
RT A(S): 13/18 (17/17)
RT R A(S): 6/6
LA A(S): 7/22 (13/13)
RA A(S): 19/22 (13/13)
LL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
RL A(S): 24/24 (17/17)
Heat: 0/30
Overheat Penalty: None
Heat Sinks: 17
Movement: 4/6/0
Mechwarrior: Pilot 5, Gunnery 4
Mechwarrior Name: Leutnant Samantha Clover
Mechwarrior Player: Mukaikubo
Mechwarrior Status: Sprained back (consciousness 3+)!
Armament:
Large Laser – LT (Heat: 8, Range: (L:15 M:10 S:5), Status: OK!)
LRM 15 – RA (Heat: 5, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:21 M:14 S:7 Min:6), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser (REAR) – LT(R) (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Medium Laser – CT (Heat: 3, Range: (L:9 M:6 S:3), Status: OK!)
Autocannon/5 – LA (Heat: 1, Ammo: 1, Range: (L:18 M:12 S:6 Min:3), Status: OK!)
Critical Damage: None!
Notes: No hands

BNC-3S Banshee
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot killed!

WLF-1 Wolfhound
Notes: ‘Mech destroyed, pilot taken by the Clans!

Rommel Tank:
Notes: Tank destroyed, crew escaped into the woods!

Enemy Status
Beta Krait
B1 Battle Cobra
Critical Damage: Destroyed!
Notes: Counts as rough terrain!

B2 Thunderchild
Tonnage: 50
Target: None
Critical Damage: Right Arm Destroyed!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Knox (severe concussion [3+ consciousness])
Pilot: Piloting 4, Gunnery 3
Overheat Penalty: None!
Armament: Unknown
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

B3 Copperhead
Notes: Forced off-map!

B4 Mugger
Tonnage: 65
Target: CP-10-Z Cyclops!
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Azael
Notes:

B5 Lucerne
Tonnage: 65
Target: ZEU-6S Zeus
Pilot Name: Mechwarrior Drang
Notes: Equipped with ECM, using ECM to generate Ghost Targets!

Gamma Boa
G1 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Target: None Possible!
Pilot Name: ???
Notes:

G2 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 80
Notes:

G3 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 85
Notes:

G4 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 90
Notes:

G5 Unknown Assault
Tonnage: 95
Pilot Name: Star Colonel Dusk
Pilot: Piloting 2, Gunnery 1
Notes:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
That enemy initiative thing is a killer. The Colonel is lucky to still be standing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Don't you have to survive the weapons fire phase to swing that club? Mighty risky gamble there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Is... that clanner hitting on her?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

wiegieman posted:

:stare:

:suspense:

Well, I guess that ties into current theme: Hearts On Fire. Let's get it on.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

wiegieman posted:

I think he would like to, but to score a lady like 1st Leutnant Samantha Clover you gotta be classier than that. Like you get to introduce yourself with what number you are in line to be Duke, classy.

E: just thought I'd mention the mini-contest again. Theoretically it's to create a Hulkamania-themed Wolfhound but after some of these amazing entries, I'm okay with anything involving the IS laying the smack down on a Clanner, with an awesome pro wrestling theme. First prize is to pick my next writeup.

Which reminds me, I need to fix the error in my Excalibur entry.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 15, 2011

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Mukaikubo posted:

:stare:

:suspense:

Well, I guess that ties into current theme: Hearts On Fire. Let's get it on.

Counterpoint:

Through the Fire and the Flames
Burn it Down
and especially
The Flame Deluge

I am literally on the edge of my seat with this battle. Let's see some Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots action!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

wiegieman posted:

"Did you come here to fight, or read poetry?"

"...Poetry, actually, my dear. Your voice is so beautiful, I simply cannot bear to fight you. Please, I beg you, abandon this engagement. I shall meet you five miles west at midnight, and we will away together."

"Are you loving serious!?"

"Ha ha! You been punked, bitch! Tell me, before we get started, are you into bondage?"

"gently caress YOU!"

- Excerpt from the audio logs of Lt. Samantha Clover.

• Locked thread