Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
A little while ago I found an old article about the then upcoming fight between Rich Franklin and Wandy. It said that Rich had been training with Anderson Silva. It then went on to suggest a "growing rivalry" between Andy and Wandy, I was wondering what, if anything, came of that, or if it was just an angle for the article to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There was a little beef between them when Wanderlei dropped to middleweight, as Anderson interpreted it as Wandy trying to make a title run (and I guess Chute Box guys find it disrespectful if someone who they've trained with wants to fight them). Words were said between the two and I guess Anderson did a camp with Franklin.

Later on Anderson and Wanderlei made up over dinner (I think Wanderlei realized he was in the downslope of his career and wasn't going to be challenging for any titles).

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

A little while ago I found an old article about the then upcoming fight between Rich Franklin and Wandy. It said that Rich had been training with Anderson Silva. It then went on to suggest a "growing rivalry" between Andy and Wandy, I was wondering what, if anything, came of that, or if it was just an angle for the article to take.

Andy and Wandy sounds like an adorable kids show.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Pneub posted:

Andy and Wandy sounds like an adorable kids show.

Andy can teach kids to dance and Wandy can teach them to count (through punching). Make it happen PBS.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

A Pale Horse posted:

Andy can teach kids to dance and Wandy can teach them to count (through punching). Make it happen PBS.

The kids would sure be familiar with the numbers 3 and 4.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

Sorry, PBS is going away because we need to trim federal spending. Also we need to massively expand federal spending by blowing up even more of the Middle East/North Africa

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lost For Words posted:

Sorry, PBS is going away because we need to trim federal spending. Also we need to massively expand federal spending by blowing up even more of the Middle East/North Africa

Just give Andy and Wandy a box o' grenades and have them go on a magical adventure.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about MMA, and the following question came up:

How would the current Brock Lesnar have fared in golden-age Pride? Were there any wrestlers on his level to compare (Maybe Barnett)? Did he have the completeness of game needed to beat prime Fedor and Minotauro? Would the dream match of Lesnar vs Sapp turn into a gentleman's agreement not to hit in the face?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The answer to all of those is No.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

projecthalaxy posted:

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine about MMA, and the following question came up:

How would the current Brock Lesnar have fared in golden-age Pride? Were there any wrestlers on his level to compare (Maybe Barnett)? Did he have the completeness of game needed to beat prime Fedor and Minotauro? Would the dream match of Lesnar vs Sapp turn into a gentleman's agreement not to hit in the face?

tom erikson

prime fedor is not very different from now fedor and a huge wrestler training with a super bjj god would have hosed any iteration of fedor up. lesnar sapp is not a dream match.

that is all

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!

projecthalaxy posted:

Would the dream match of Lesnar vs Sapp turn into a gentleman's agreement not to hit in the face?

Keep in mind, Bob Sapp was not ALWAYS a lamentable dust man. See Bojansky vs Sapp. Its seriously like 2 different people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The match where he whined and asked Kakuda to let him quit?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Bundt Cake posted:

lesnar sapp is not a dream match

you don't speak for all of us in this regard

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Frank Murrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

projecthalaxy posted:

Brock Lesnar would have spent his time facing tiny Japanese men and maybe having one fight a year against a legitimate contender unless there was a tournament. If he did enter a tournament, he would probably win, especially since PRIDE didn't have a upper weight limit or steroid testing.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

projecthalaxy posted:

brock would have died in the ring at sergei's hands.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Brock vs. a non-broken Nog would have been interesting but Lesnar would have been tough to stop unless you were the best MMA wrestler ever.

That's right, Mark Coleman would have re-gained his HW crown.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Mark Coleman is not the best MMA wrestler ever and he's a roidraging dickhole.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
you misspelled worlds greatest dad of ever

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

henkman posted:

name one better

Vegard
Mar 20, 2011

henkman posted:

Mark Coleman is not the best MMA wrestler ever

Who is? Mark Kerr? Chael Sonnen? I'm actually asking.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

name one better

Koscheck
GSP
Fitch
Jon Jones
Sonnen

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

henkman posted:

Koscheck
GSP
Fitch
Jon Jones
Sonnen

coleman outwrestled jones weeks ago dude and you have to be loving kidding about fitch, who got outwrestled by BJ

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
lol fitch nice troll

(name cain next time)

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

coleman outwrestled jones weeks ago dude and you have to be loving kidding about fitch, who got outwrestled by BJ

Get rid of those 2 (if you want to count those BS reasons) you still have 3 better wrestlers. Or is that not enough?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

henkman posted:

Get rid of those 2 (if you want to count those BS reasons) you still have 3 better wrestlers. Or is that not enough?

how is fitch getting outwrestled by a smaller guy (which would never happen to coleman) or coleman outwrestling jones "bs"?

additionally the other three guys are not as good at wrestling as coleman

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
1. BJ came out with a gameplan Fitch didn't see coming and didn't train for so it's okay for him to get outwrestled for the first bit of the fight.

2. Jones is a nice young Christian boy who respects the elderly, and wanted Coleman to feel relevant one last time before he dies.

And yes Kos, GSP, and Sonnen are better wrestlers. How are they not?

Vegard
Mar 20, 2011
Everyone on the list is either a champion or a contender in 2011, which implies a bias; the things Sonnen and GSP are doing now is comparable to what Mark Coleman did in his prime.

What also implies a bias: geriatric jokes and calling him a dickhole.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Except they're not? Who was the best wrestler mark coleman has fought against and won? Dan Severn? GSP and any of the other guys at the top of WW have been facing great wrestlers forever. Of course Mark can look good wrestling all the Kickboxers in Pride. The moment he faced a good wrestler he got the poo poo choked out of him. Got off his dick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Whether or not Coleman spent more skill points on Wrestling than any other fighter is less relevant than whether or not he was able to leverage his wrestling talents into consistent success against a series of opponents with different skillsets (he didn't). I'm a Coleman fan, but come on.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

None of those fighters would of won the 2000 Grand Prix so Coleman is better

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

henkman posted:

Dickhole must mean "incredibly nice man."

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCnqy8Klaw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RPSwXs3Nbk

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/OhEoBD4Y-rs/

Mark Coleman: Nice Man (also he's ugly)

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

you're an idiot

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The first 2 maybe understandable. Him breaking Shogun's arm and then starting a riot? Piece of poo poo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
GSP trains his wrestling constantly and still had a hard time wrestling Koscheck even though he was jabbing his face off. Coleman Did Not Train for about ten years and still was incapable of not completing a takedown. The only force more powerful than Coleman's wrestling is Sean Tompkins' monumental levels of incompetence.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Maybe that's because Koscheck is also a great wrestler? Also again I ask: who is the best wrestler Coleman fought AND beat?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

henkman posted:

Maybe that's because Koscheck is also a great wrestler? Also again I ask: who is the best wrestler Coleman fought AND beat?

As a two time NWA champion, Dan Severn is a far better wrestler than Josh Koscheck.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The original question was about wrestling in an MMA context, hence the term "MMA Wrestler". Josh is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegard
Mar 20, 2011
Nogueira is a saint and even he lost his temper on TUF. I have no idea what you want from the man.

henkman posted:

Most of Koscheck's career has been spent outwrestling kickboxers. Also someone will have posted Roidtech by the time I hit submit