Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

kinkster posted:

I'm not trollan but it is funny to think how easy it would be to derail this thread and turn it into a lulzy (yes, lulzy) wall of overly serious.. you get the idea :)

Probably because most grown up consider legal questions to be serious matter. Hence, serious thread with serious answers.

At the very least, you will face some consequences at school for getting in a stupid loving fight over a girlfriend you would have dumped before going to college. Don't get in a loving fight, a shouting match will do.

You'll read this thread in five years and facepalm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Serious answers which completely disregarded the fact that this was only going to happen with his consent. If you guys had just calmed down and asked for more detail instead of writing walls of text which don't apply to the situation.. well I don't know, you wouldn't have wasted your time? I thought I made it clear from the start that I was going to do this in an honest fashion, in front of mutual friends. Actually, I know I did. There's a reason I referred to him as a "friend" from the very beginning (yes I'm well aware that he isn't a very good one, but I'm not either so idgaf). I thought you all might gain from that, and the simple fact that I'm posting about it on SA, that I wasn't planning to cause him any real harm.
poo poo, we're more likely to twist our fingers trying to punch each other then anything else.

I'm not denying everything that's been said, or pretending that /some/ of it isn't good sound advice. It is, and part of me is glad that physical action is so strongly frowned upon. So thank you to those of you who were trying to help, I can see you were concerned, but it just really doesn't apply to a situation like this (as far as I can see).

I think you all would be surprised to see what a level headed, decidedly non-sociopathic individual I am, but whatever. And equally surprised to see how my jurisdiction handles certain issues, haha.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You just don't know when to quit digging, do you?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

kinkster posted:

I wasn't planning to cause him any real harm.

Then why the gently caress are you fighting? This is what everyone's going nuts about. What the gently caress is your problem? Why are you fighting if you don't want to hurt him? What will be achieved by this?

You do realise that legally, as soon as you jump someone, it will be assumed that you intended to cause harm? And "We agreed to fight!" will sure as gently caress not stand in front of the principal. (This will get back to the principal)

As to wether such an agreement between minors would stand up in front of a court, heh, ask a lawyer. But there's still a chance his parents could sue you for knocking his teeths out.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
"heh, ask a lawyer". That's kind of what a tried to do, dude. If you hadn't assumed the worst from the beginning and asked for some detail instead of ranting about "premeditated assault and battery" this thread wouldn't be filled with a full page of poo poo.

And you can cause a little bit of pain without knocking someones teeth out, for god's sake. Why the concept of mutually agreeing to get even with a little fist fight is beyond you all I do not know.

Your thread though, fill it with whatever you want. I'm out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If these "details" are so important that no one can form a proper opinion without them, why didn't you post them in the first place?

I hope you're better at fighting than you are at posting.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kinkster posted:

Honestly I'm not going to read that huge wall of text. It's as simple as this: Nothing would happen unless he consented and was throwing punches himself, nothing would happen unless there are multiple witnesses to hear him consent, and obviously two skinny little kids in high school aren't going to go out and kill each other in front of their friends over something that happened months ago....

This isn't some rage induced attempt to prove my manliness, however you want to twist it because of my age.

No she isn't my property, no he hasn't done anything legally wrong. The "sue" thing was just thrown around and he admitted himself that his dad would just laugh about it. I was just curious about what would happen if he did do anything, which is really really unlikely.
Only if he /agrees/ that it's fine for us to have a little wrestle will anything happen.
And we have talked over it, hes apologized and I accepted it, but we both understand that we'd rather "get even" and keep being friends instead of just ignoring each other. Really, I don't hate this dude at all.

I'm not trollan but it is funny to think how easy it would be to derail this thread and turn it into a lulzy (yes, lulzy) wall of overly serious.. you get the idea :)

Caselaw is basically full of dudes consenting to a fistfight, falling down during the fight and hitting their head and later dying from it, and the survivor being charged with, and convicted of, manslaughter. Good luck with your consent defense, let us know how it goes

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
"Assuming the worst" is what we are trained, taught, and (in better economic climates than this) occasionally paid to do. Your failure to present relevant facts is your failure, not ours.

Pretty much anyone on this side of law school has a stock speech for "this is based on what you told me and if you shared more facts with me, my analysis might change."

No client ever asks for the best-case scenario. Because in the best-case scenario they don't need legal advice.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
He's just a troll, guys. He's a high school kid who thought :byodood: "I'm gonna fool them lawyers!" Then he used a combination of withholding information and good old-fashioned belligerence to make himself feel smarter than a thread full of adults. He'll go tell his buddy that the Internet lawyers said they could fight all they want, which is what he wanted to hear in the first place, and the judge will laugh at him for it. Except he's an expert on the local DA and judges and knows precisely what they'll do, so whatever.

All of the lawyers/well-wishers in here tried valiantly to get him to see what a moron he was. You can all take solace in the fact that when he's in for aggravated assault, it's despite your attempts to help and not because of them.

Now let's return to our regularly-scheduled program; I'm sure most of us find that much more interesting. :)

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 10, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alaemon posted:

"Assuming the worst" is what we are trained, taught, and (in better economic climates than this) occasionally paid to do.

I'm moving to kinskter's area, and I'm going to open a new law firm that focuses on Alternative Dispute Resolution, where I arrange consensual duels, with fists, knives, guns, whatever, and I'm going to make a killing because apparently that's how they settle things where he's from. I'll probably watch The Lincoln Lawyer too because that looks like it combines violence and lawyers in a successful format.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If you really want to, you can both get MMA licenses and fight in an amateur event. I doubt a promoter would want two kids who don't know martial arts on his card, but maybe you'll get lucky.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

entris posted:

I'm moving to kinskter's area, and I'm going to open a new law firm that focuses on Alternative Dispute Resolution, where I arrange consensual duels, with fists, knives, guns, whatever, and I'm going to make a killing because apparently that's how they settle things where he's from. I'll probably watch The Lincoln Lawyer too because that looks like it combines violence and lawyers in a successful format.

Konstantin posted:

If you really want to, you can both get MMA licenses and fight in an amateur event. I doubt a promoter would want two kids who don't know martial arts on his card, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Combine both ideas, and offer a lucha libre based system of alternative conflict resolution. Sell tickets to show.

It'd be like organizing wrestling matches, except the talent pays you by the hour and you don't need to manufacture drama - They supply it.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

entris posted:

I remember when I lived in Charleston there was this case of a fellow shooting another fellow in the back and he was charged with something regarding dueling. It was already interesting enough because I had no idea there were any laws about dueling but what topped that is he had just gotten out of prison after being convicted of injuring another person in a duel.

I know kinkster is just trolling but here you go friend , you can't go around hurting people even with their consent

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Robo Olga posted:

I remember when I lived in Charleston there was this case of a fellow shooting another fellow in the back and he was charged with something regarding dueling. It was already interesting enough because I had no idea there were any laws about dueling but what topped that is he had just gotten out of prison after being convicted of injuring another person in a duel.

I know kinkster is just trolling but here you go friend , you can't go around hurting people even with their consent

Seems awfully risky for the prosecutor to charge under that very old statute when they could just charge under first degree murder. A good defense attorney could muddy the waters enough to put the outcome in doubt, especially since there probably isn't any precedent less than a century old.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Konstantin posted:

Seems awfully risky for the prosecutor to charge under that very old statute when they could just charge under first degree murder. A good defense attorney could muddy the waters enough to put the outcome in doubt, especially since there probably isn't any precedent less than a century old.

I wish I could find a follow up. The only other article I can find has a little bit more information but not much http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive/arch09/0909/arc09248610249.shtml

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know if it's kosher to request one, but it would be kind of awesome to impose a moderator challenge on kinkster, along the lines of requiring him to work this situation out like an adult rather than engaging in a playground fistfight, or be punished.

Is this a possibility or are mod challenges unrequestable?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Make him hire a goon lawyer on retainer specifically to handle future battery charges.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

He's banned already.

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 10, 2017

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

wacky posted:

You lawyerfags aren't gonna get in the way of my lulz :smug: but seriously will I get in trouble? Tell me I won't or I might remind you I'm in high school again

That's it. Meet me at the jungle gym after school, I am kicking your rear end.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I did suggest to my judge that his Fridays would be more efficient if he did away with summary disposition hearings and instituted cage matches. So maybe our little reprobate is on to something.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

beejay posted:

He's banned already.

This is why I should turn avatars back on, I didn't notice.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Can anyone help me with some legal research?

I've been asked to find some case law. We're defending an investor who is accused of not conducting proper diligence in an investment into a regularly audited entity. I'm looking for support of the statement "well if the auditor didn't catch it it's not reasonable to expect us to do so in our diligence".

edit: AZ jurisdiction.

edit2: I found stuff from a lawsuit against JP Morgan regarding Worldcom, where the suit successfully charges that they did not detect red flags that a "reasonable investigation" would have turned up that would have given them the "obligation to inquire" despite the fact Worldcom's statements were audited. This is useful because we can just argue a reasonable investigation would have turned up no such red flags. Any other suggestions as to what constitutes "due diligence" and when reliance on audited financials is OK?

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 11, 2011

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Hello legal goons I have a question regarding lease breaking in California.

I am a no good jerk who not only incurred new expenses (Had baby with my fiance), but also lost my job which was paying the bills. I got an interim part-time job until I could find something else, but our sudden decrease in funds made it so we had to break our lease. We told the apartment we could no longer pay the rent, and gave them 30 days notice. Their response "Fine, but you will have to pay an additional $2500 as per our lease break agreement we will let you sign."

This would be fine with me if the reason I was leaving wasn't I have no money. So here is my question, what is going to happen if I just leave and don't pay?

I realize that it will go against my credit, but the question is, are they going to be able to squeeze money I don't have out of me? Can they take my fiance's student loans as compensation? Will they repo the only property we have which is all baby stuff?

These people have no souls, so I expect them to do their worst. I just need to know what the worst they can do is, so I can plan my next move.

(note: we have already secured another, more affordable place to live.)

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
Not a lawyer, but someone who had something similar almost happen to me once.

They will put a lien on your car, checking account, etc.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Skywriter posted:

Not a lawyer, but someone who had something similar almost happen to me once.

They will put a lien on your car, checking account, etc.

So if I have a car that I don't want I should just let them take it?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

50 pounds of bread posted:

Skipping out on my lease.

Ok, you know this is a punk move, so I won't belabor that point. You really don't want to just let it run to collections and liens. Have you seen if they'd work with you and let you pay them the money in installments?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

They will, we are talking about it tomorrow, but these guys are horrible jerks.

This also isn't a punk move for a number of reasons, but I don't feel like explaining them all (one of the issues is that they didn't paint the bathtub properly and whenever we take a hot shower paint comes off, the other issues are similar.), and acknowledged the fact that it is generally a punk move so I wouldn't get gooned up on.

I'd like to stick it to them for being terrible, but if it's not possible that they will end up eating the costs, then I want to know my best options for getting out of this without being completely and utterly hosed.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
There are groups in CA that will help you if you are low income with lease issues and I would highly recommend you seek them out. Breaking a lease because you don't want to pay it is going to get you in trouble. But if you are saying you are breaking the lease because they didn't complete repairs that is a totally different thing.

I wouldn't count on them taking some car you don't want anymore as payment, if you decide not to pay and they take you to court they will have options on how they want to collect, it won't be up to you.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Manwithastick posted:

My wedding videographer wont give us the dvds we paid for and its been 5 months since we OKed the sample, I've never done anything legal related so where do I start? I have a contract which he hasnt delivered on and he's been BSing me for 3 months saying he's just had a baby and been too busy and "it will be next week"

EDIT: I'm in the UK and know nothing about solicitors and such

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

Small Claims Court. Used for claims of less than GBP5,000 and you can do it yourself without a solicitor.

Research it and get enough info so that you know how to go ahead with this.

Send a registered letter to him, restating the facts of your dispute and give him 3 choices: 1) supply the final product within an agreed timeframe 2) refund your money and give you the raw footage or 3) see him in court.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Hello lawgoons! Just to get this out of the way, I'm in San Mateo County in California.

I'm likely about to be fired from my terrible job this Friday following an incident that happened last Friday. During the closing hour one of my managers, counting a till, discovered that I accidentally accepted the wrong tender. Specifically, I pressed the "$20 traveler's check" button when I should have pressed the "$20 whatever-they-actually-paid-with" button. I apologized and first asked if they could do a tender exchange (a previous job ran into this problem constantly and were always changing how money was tendered), but I got no response. I offered to reimburse the store from my paycheck, but got no response there either. Later, after the till had been counted, the counting manager shows the store manager the POS screen and says "so this is how much should be in the register" and then shows him a piece of paper and says "..and this is how much should be in the register." They never showed me the screen or the paper, so I have no idea what amounts she was talking about. I asked if there was a problem, but got no response other than from my store manager to clock out (it was about my time to leave, about 10 minutes short) and go home.

I came in today to peruse the wares and noticed both managers were working today. After making a little small talk to the till-counting manager I casually asked if there were any problems from Friday and she responded with "no, no problems", but the store manager interjected that there WERE problems, and that he would "talk to [me] about it when I worked next." I already work there just 3-4 hours a week after having my hours cut down from an already pitiful 7 hours a week. I've gotten the distinct feeling that my store manager doesn't like me much personally; we have greatly different sales styles, work ethics and general ways we carry ourselves and he doesn't like it. In fact, he's rubbed practically every store employee and many of our regular customers the wrong way. He also works hours off the clock and I mentioned this to the till manager one night, but she brushed it off as "he'll get in trouble for it one day."

So, am I about to get screwed over? If there IS a discrepancy in the till, will I be in legal trouble? And if there ISN'T a discrepancy, would I be in the right to fight against some wrongful termination? Should I just forget about this terrible job and move on with my life, taking a firing in stride?

tl;dr - till came up short one night, don't know how much but is at least $20 that I can account for personally, boss already hates my guts, likely going to fire me, what can I do?

Thanks in advance, folks. And sorry if I missed any pertinent information, it feels like a lot already!

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 10, 2017

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

paco650 posted:

1) If there IS a discrepancy in the till, will I be in legal trouble?
2) And if there ISN'T a discrepancy, would I be in the right to fight against some wrongful termination?
3) Should I just forget about this terrible job and move on with my life, taking a firing in stride?

1) No, not unless they want to accuse you of stealing from the till. It is not a crime to accidentally gently caress up at the register, and they certainly wouldn't bother suing you over $20 even if they had a civil case. You have no obligation to repay the $20 missing from the till.
2) Employers can generally fire employees for any reason other than race, gender, etc. You have no chance at winning a wrongful termination suit here.
3) Probably yes.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

wacky posted:

Many many :words:

Their loss... Make sure you don't move to CA without a good job already lined up, it's expensive as gently caress to live out here.

Thank god, no. On the other hand, you can't get away with not having a car here.
VVV

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 14, 2011

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 10, 2017

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
I have a question about Arizona repossession law, specifically as it pertains to vehicles.

I was laid off a couple months ago and have very little money coming in. My car was repossessed because I wasn't able to make the payments. The vehicle still has my personal belongings in it. The repossession company wants to charge me a "processing" fee for me to obtain my personal belongings from the vehicle, and they will not release the belongings unless I pay this fee. I want to know if it is legal for them to hold my personal belongings that are not upgrades to the vehicle, nor included in the lien.

I've tried contacting a couple lawyers but they want to charge a large amount of money, and even the local legal aid office's fees are too high for me to pay for a consult.

So far I've left a message for the State AG's consumer protection bureau, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I've also filed a complaint with the FTC's consumer protection agency, who believed it was improper for the company to hold my personal belongings.

I also contacted the county sheriff's office who was unsure of the legality but would be willing to send a deputy with me to attempt to recover the property, however I don't know how much enforcement they will provide since they are unsure of the legality and the guy who owns the repossession company has told me he will turn away a sheriff's deputy if they come with me.

Anyways, I'm looking for any advice, or specifically any statutes I can cite under Arizona law that will help me be able to get my stuff.

Thank you.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I have a question about small claims in CA. We sued our exlandlords and won. It has now been 30 days since the decision was mailed and we haven't heard anything back from them.

My question is, if they appealed which is what we assumed would happen, are they obligated to let us know they are appealing within the 30 days? Or will we not be informed until a court date is decided and we receive a summons?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Arri posted:

I've tried contacting a couple lawyers but they want to charge a large amount of money, and even the local legal aid office's fees are too high for me to pay for a consult.

Depending on where you are and your money situation, you might qualify for assistance from Community Legal Services - it's free, and I know they have a division that deals specifically with consumer cases.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Arri posted:

I have a question about Arizona repossession law, specifically as it pertains to vehicles.

I was laid off a couple months ago and have very little money coming in. My car was repossessed because I wasn't able to make the payments. The vehicle still has my personal belongings in it. The repossession company wants to charge me a "processing" fee for me to obtain my personal belongings from the vehicle, and they will not release the belongings unless I pay this fee. I want to know if it is legal for them to hold my personal belongings that are not upgrades to the vehicle, nor included in the lien.
Have you tried calling your lender to bitch about the repo company? Based on some forums I browsed, it sounds like it worked in a couple instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
I have a question about landlord requirements.

My dad owns an older home in Ohio, that still has the old fusebox (rather than a circuit-breaker) and old-style plugs (no ground wire).

If he decides to rent this home out, is he required to re-wire the house? To be honest, I'm trying to talk him out of becoming a landlord, but any advice would be great.