Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Cojawfee posted:

I'm tired of northern cities. Anything in the northeast or even chicago would be the same Liberty City. I want a new setting that hasn't been done before. So pretty much, make a 1970s New Austin. I pretty much just want to play Machete: The Video Game.

Hong Kong or Tokyo or something would be cool imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
They should stick to American cities because a huge part of what makes GTA unique is the way it satirizes American culture.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
GTA ATL

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lee Van Queef posted:

They should stick to American cities because a huge part of what makes GTA unique is the way it satirizes American culture.

Yeah, in American cities they can be racist towards ALL races. If they went for Tokyo or something, they'd be limited to just the one.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Not if the game features foreigners.

China would be good, as china has a poo poo ton of foreigners

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I heard it's 100% foreigners.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma

Hoodrich posted:

GTA ATL

I'd play this.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Yeah, I would, too. I'd also like one that was several Texas cities.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
As a native Texan all I can say is that Texas would be BORING for a GTA unless it's some western GTA or something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What are you talking about? Set it in the 1970s. Fill it with cars from the 50s-70s with plenty of 60s and 70s muscle cars. A story about running drugs or something. They can make jokes about illegal immigrants. It would be great. Where else in the country that someone from outside the US has heard of would be better? Anything in the northeast, or florida, or the west coast would just be a retread. I think they need a completely new area to exploit.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Don't worry L.A. Noire is coming out soon

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
What about GTA CANADA :canada:

I imagine it would play like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSzsh4hJWI but without the product placement.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

What are you talking about? Set it in the 1970s. Fill it with cars from the 50s-70s with plenty of 60s and 70s muscle cars. A story about running drugs or something. They can make jokes about illegal immigrants. It would be great. Where else in the country that someone from outside the US has heard of would be better? Anything in the northeast, or florida, or the west coast would just be a retread. I think they need a completely new area to exploit.

I figured it'd be modern day.

I think Arizona would be a better setting than Texas.

Jedrick posted:

What about GTA CANADA :canada:

I imagine it would play like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieSzsh4hJWI but without the product placement.

For some reason I have always hated this commercial. It's like,"video games are so violent, why don't you just grow some flowers and play some hopscotch? Why in my day..."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Look up a video on YouTube, you can do this in a couple minutes. If you knock a guy over then ride up to him, you can get into a loop of knock him off, wait for him to get back on, knock him off before he drives off, repeat until race ends with you losing.

Really? What for, I don't remember seeing CJ in GTA4.

I swore to god I've seen a commercial of him jumping out of a plane, but I can't find a youtube of it. There are a million of him on a poster somewhere so I guess he's in there like that.

According to IGN he shows up in the "I'm Rich" show.

Hoodrich posted:

GTA ATL

ATL is a great city and would be awesome for GTA.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Apr 15, 2011

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Cojawfee posted:

Guns on top of the Cars. Oil Crisis. Grand Theft Interstate 76.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I've had some ideas about possible future GTA's.

- Liberty City, 1987: CJ's story, a prequel to San Andreas. Sadly it'd be pretty much the same as all the other Liberty City GTA's, working for the mafia type stuff, but I guess you could put in something about the cocaine epidemic.

- Los Santos, 1984: CJ's Story, a pre-prequel to San Andreas, at the end you leave for LC.

- Or combine those, once you finish the game you get to fly between LS and LC at will (and maybe it saves the game in-flight).

- Based on Washington DC. (I think they've called it Capital City in the past?) Corrupt guvmint, that kinda stuff.

- Modern Vice City

- Another Rockstar game was set in rust belt Carcer City - maybe base it on Cleveland or Chicago?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 15, 2011

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I'm tired of northern cities. Anything in the northeast or even chicago would be the same Liberty City. I want a new setting that hasn't been done before. So pretty much, make a 1970s New Austin. I pretty much just want to play Machete: The Video Game.

I say make it part of the new San Andreas: give us Los Santos, San Fierro, and Las Venturas but create an Arizona/Texas portion of New Austin that is mapped from Red Dead Redemption, only stuck in the '70s because it's pretty much deserted.

That said, rumor has it that the next GTA is taking place in Los Santos.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'd be satisfied with Vice City 1.5: Now with more missions and cool radio.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'd be delighted with San Andreas 1.5: Now with full co-op.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I don't want the game to have anything to do with loving San Andreas. I want them to pick an American region they haven't done yet and build a spiritual homage to GTA2 in that region. I don't want that region to be goddamn Texas.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
I'm really hoping there's some more rugged wilderness sections like those in San Andreas. I think they proved with RDR that they can pull that off.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think Washington DC would definitely provide the best opportunity for social commentary. Some of GTA's best and funniest characters have been dirty politicians. In this game, most of your bosses could be politicians, lobbyists, big-wigs from the pentagon, and the CIA. Plus, Rockstar would be almost obligated to include a mission in which you assault the White House on behalf of the VP or the Speaker of the House or something. The Fox News coverage of it would be amazing.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

blue squares posted:

I think Washington DC would definitely provide the best opportunity for social commentary.
Worst...race missions...ever.

As for prequels, there's whatever sent Tommy Vercetti to jail. I've been curious about that.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

blue squares posted:

I think Washington DC would definitely provide the best opportunity for social commentary. Some of GTA's best and funniest characters have been dirty politicians. In this game, most of your bosses could be politicians, lobbyists, big-wigs from the pentagon, and the CIA. Plus, Rockstar would be almost obligated to include a mission in which you assault the White House on behalf of the VP or the Speaker of the House or something. The Fox News coverage of it would be amazing.
I want a game like GTA set in a fake Washington, where the last mission finishes with your character becoming President. Also you still get to go on car stealing bitch ramping pedestrian slaughtering mayhem.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Whalley posted:

I want a game like GTA set in a fake Washington, where the last mission finishes with your character becoming President. Also you still get to go on car stealing bitch ramping pedestrian slaughtering mayhem.

It would be pretty awesome to play as a power hungry politician who splits his time between campaigning and causing mayhem.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

blue squares posted:

It would be pretty awesome to play as a power hungry politician who splits his time between campaigning and causing mayhem.

Campaigning to clean up the streets from crime and mayhem you yourself are causing :tinfoil:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think GTA in the 70's is the best idea.

The time capsule GTA's like Vice City and San Andreas owed a lot to pop culture references/straight up mission stealing from movies. And those two were the best.

It's just not as cool or relevant to do modern pop-culture references, because we don't know if its just a 'in the moment' thing, or something that's gonna stick with a generation.

There were so many cars of that era that not only made their place in history, but in pop culture as well. There were so many era-defining movies in the 70's as well.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

It's just not as cool or relevant to do modern pop-culture references, because we don't know if its just a 'in the moment' thing, or something that's gonna stick with a generation.
It's awesome though to set things in the near future and troll people by having pop idol and nobel peace prize winner Rebecca White finally bring the music industry into a new generation with her song Saturday.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I love that Rockstar is branching out into doing all kinds of things these days. the fact that we have a 40s/50s crime thriller and a cowboy western fitting into the GTA template makes me very excited that one day fairly soon we'll see them go into scifi. The lack of a decent scifi open world game makes me quite sad, because I love the poo poo out of open world games. It's just so fun to dick around and explore somewhere interesting.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
A city that's been brought up in the Rockstar universe a bit and hardly explored is Carcer City. I'd actually like to see a GTA game set there, since if you go by Manhunt the place is a filthy criminal cesspool. It'd be all the excuse they need to just go nuts with old-school GTA gameplay, doing horrible things for horrible people and driving around and/or blowing things up.

They could even set it in the "near future", and since the city's basically Detroit they could have some backstory like half the city has been remodeled into a yuppie paradise while the other half has been left to rot.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Doctor Butts posted:

I think GTA in the 70's is the best idea.

The time capsule GTA's like Vice City and San Andreas owed a lot to pop culture references/straight up mission stealing from movies. And those two were the best.

There were so many cars of that era that not only made their place in history, but in pop culture as well. There were so many era-defining movies in the 70's as well.

I don't see how. I thought GTA3's take on modern times was interesting and it took cues from a lot of older movies. Its pop culture references have aged very well over the past decade and are still relevent.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling:

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Well yeah, that's all well and good but here's my counter argument to that kind of future I hope you'll find it compelling as heck

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Edit: ^^ Why do I feel like it'd be hard to get away with crime in a place like that? (the sci fi one)

bort posted:

But that's the thing, they aren't making accurate maps of real cities. They'd just make a city similar to D.C. but change the layout so the missions would be more fun. I would like them to do this, then I'd like them to redo all the roads in D.C. to make it more like the game.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

nerdly_dood posted:

I've had some ideas about possible future GTA's.

- Liberty City, 1987: CJ's story, a prequel to San Andreas. Sadly it'd be pretty much the same as all the other Liberty City GTA's, working for the mafia type stuff, but I guess you could put in something about the cocaine epidemic.

- Los Santos, 1984: CJ's Story, a pre-prequel to San Andreas, at the end you leave for LC.

- Or combine those, once you finish the game you get to fly between LS and LC at will (and maybe it saves the game in-flight).

- Based on Washington DC. (I think they've called it Capital City in the past?) Corrupt guvmint, that kinda stuff.

- Modern Vice City

- Another Rockstar game was set in rust belt Carcer City - maybe base it on Cleveland or Chicago?

Does anyone remember GTA London? It would be fantastic to get a modern version of that, you can do so much with that city.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

bort posted:

As for prequels, there's whatever sent Tommy Vercetti to jail. I've been curious about that.

His boss sent him to go kill some rival gang member but actually set him up for an ambush. Tommy killed all 11 guys but got busted.

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

I'd really like to see a GTA somewhere outside of America and one with cities and countryside, like SA. China perhaps? And missions that are actually fun and not horribly repetitive would be nice too (I'm looking at you, GTA IV/TLaD/to a slightly lesser extent TBOGT). And please, please, mid-mission checkpoints. Especially after driving places.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

All in all I don't give a poo poo where or when it's set, I just like to talk about GTA2 whenever I can.

What I blindly hope is that Rockstar have taken serious lessons from both Red Dead Redemption and Saints Row 2 and combine all the things that are excellent about each into one game.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma

davebo posted:

Edit: ^^ Why do I feel like it'd be hard to get away with crime in a place like that? (the sci fi one)

It's a dystopian future, which basically means Detroit today plus crazy guns.

I still think Rockstar should port GTA 1 and 2 to the DS, make them control like Chinatown Wars, and sell them as GTA Classic or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

davebo posted:

But that's the thing, they aren't making accurate maps of real cities. They'd just make a city similar to D.C. but change the layout so the missions would be more fun. I would like them to do this, then I'd like them to redo all the roads in D.C. to make it more like the game.

Indeed. Liberty City is clearly New York City without being New York City. Same with Los Santos, San Fierro, and Las Venturas. Making a "Capital City", the key component would be the monuments/iconic government center. Everything else is designed around making the game flow.

• Locked thread