Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.
e

Stop fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
I'm deciding between Columbia and Chicago and the deadline to accept for Chicago is tomorrow.

I still haven't received financial aid information from Columbia.

Take the guaranteed money from Chicago? Give it up for a chance of money at CLS?

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 30, 2013

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

Stop posted:

Did you ask Chicago for an extension

Yes, but they have not responded to my email.

TLS predicts a resounding no. I am not holding out hope.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GamingHyena posted:

Worse yet, if he does have to take the February bar potential employers will automatically assume he failed the July bar. Of course, he could always be honest and explain that he missed the July bar deadline but then he'll look incompetent.

So employers will think he's either retarded and failed the bar, or so sloppy he failed to take steps to follow up on a crucial deadline until it was too late (or I guess he could lie, which brings its own problems). None of those choices are desirable traits in an attorney.

He should sign up for another state's bar. Pass that one.
There are a number that can sign up until April 30.
That gives you an excuse that doesn't make you look like your hosed up or failed.

Stop posted:

So if I decide to explore both prosecution and PD in law school, I'll get penalized for it when I'm trying to find jobs in those fields?

Well, that sucks.
Yeah, crim law is loving stupid.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

euphronius posted:

I think it would be cool to talk because small town and rural law is completely different than the T14 rat race* and big law experience.

* I mean that with all due respect.

Yeah, I'm curious about it too. I know that my area is flooded with lawyers but I don't really know what day-to-day practice is like. I don't think I'd ever be happy in a very small town, but Harrisburg-sized markets hold a lot of appeal for me.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Stop posted:

So if I decide to explore both prosecution and PD in law school, I'll get penalized for it when I'm trying to find jobs in those fields?

Well, that sucks.

On the flip side, I firmly believe that it's only when you've worked both sides that you can truly gain a full understanding of the system, its positives and negatives, and can avoid common pitfalls and harmful modes of thinking.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Abugadu posted:

On the flip side, I firmly believe that it's only when you've worked both sides that you can truly gain a full understanding of the system, its positives and negatives, and can avoid common pitfalls and harmful modes of thinking.

As I've done both I completely agree. Also, I think this is why offices tend not to hire people who've done both, but some people call my cynical.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

e

Stop fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 15, 2012

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

nm posted:

That gives you an excuse that doesn't make you look like your hosed up or failed.

*thinking like a lawyer*

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Stop posted:

I can definitely see the logic behind that and I think it would help me clear up a lot of lingering doubts I have towards either job.

Do you guys think it's plausible/ethical to just take a clinic and not include it in one's resume? (Guessing not)

I think it's fine.

poo poo, most law grads don't even include law school on their resume anymore if they're trying to get a non-law job.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

Last time I am going to ask this before I send in my deposit.

1/2 tuition at Chicago
1/3 tuition at NYU
1/6 tuition at Columbia

means I would be making a terrible decision to not choose Chicago?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

How much is the deposit and what are the consequences beyond losing it if you pull out of Chicago after accepting?

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

diospadre posted:

How much is the deposit and what are the consequences beyond losing it if you pull out of Chicago after accepting?

I think it's $500 but the problem is that I would have to withdraw from the other schools that I've been admitted to. (i.e. not Harvard or Stanford (I would have no problem throwing away the $500 if they came through but it looks very unlikely.))

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ah that's rough. Anyway I would go with Chicago since Chicago rules.

Kissy Suzuki
Mar 27, 2011

No honeymoon. This is business.

nm posted:

This is really the only choice he has that doesn't make him look like a complete fuckup. Michigan's late registration deadline is May 15 (and I haven't finished my app yet), so he has plenty of time. And the MI bar is on the easier side of the spectrum from what I understand.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Trash Can Man posted:

1/2 tuition at Chicago
1/3 tuition at NYU
1/6 tuition at Columbia

You should be confident that Chicago is the right choice here. All of these schools are going to be roughly equivalent placement-wise. Having half the debt coming out of one of them is going to make an enormous difference in your financial situation once you start working, assuming you go into some kind of private practice.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
The difference in cost is probably even more significant when you take into account living expenses.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Trash Can Man posted:

1/2 tuition at Chicago
1/3 tuition at NYU
1/6 tuition at Columbia

Yeah, I'm at Columbia and like it here, but as long as you're fine living in Chicago I'd go with that.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Stop posting variants of "Should I pay a shitload more money to live in THE CITY?" please

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

ragle posted:

Stop posting variants of "Should I pay a shitload more money to live in THE CITY?" please

gently caress you and your bad attitude.

The first two variants got responded to with "go to cooley."

I've been reading these megathreads since before there were no jobs, I should get to bug people with my trivial CCN bullshit a few times.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I vote Chicago.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
You'd save about $40,000 over three years to choose Chicago over NYU. I don't think you've posted much about your long-term career goals, but at NYU or Chicago, it might not matter all that much. If you have no particular attachment to either school or city, I'd have no trouble picking Chicago.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

qwertyman posted:

You'd save about $40,000 over three years to choose Chicago over NYU. I don't think you've posted much about your long-term career goals, but at NYU or Chicago, it might not matter all that much. If you have no particular attachment to either school or city, I'd have no trouble picking Chicago.

That seems to be the unanimous and objective response the only thing giving me pause is immediate family in the NYC area.

Then again NYC will be there in three years, and 40k + 75k is a looot of money so I'll probably choose Chicago.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Thanks much for the advice all. We'll go ahead and submit the waiver request + second application (may as well) and investigate the other options out there.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Yeah, I'm at Columbia and like it here

liar liar pants on fire.

Robot Arms
Sep 19, 2008

R!

Red Bean Juice posted:

Is anybody going to the Tenenbaum oral argument before the First Circuit Monday? Seems like it'd be a good way to get some nerdlaw cred in.

Also, where once there was but a ball of anxiety and rejection e-mails, there is a new comic

RBJ, please email my username at Lawyerist.com. I've got a proposition (non-sexy) for you.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Trash Can Man posted:

immediate family in the NYC area.

you know what you can buy with 40K? plane tickets

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Feces Starship posted:

you know what you can buy with 40K? plane tickets

Hell, $40k will likely get you an old lovely used plane.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

samglover posted:

proposition (non-sexy)

It's never sexy, is it :mad:

(check your e-mail)

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

nm posted:

Hell, $40k will likely get you an old lovely used plane.

Alright, thanks for your help everyone. I am going to Chicago and buying a plane!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Trash Can Man posted:

Alright, thanks for your help everyone. I am going to Chicago and buying a plane!

Better take Aviation Law, it's a super-important class for both bar prep and private practice. I hear that the ABA is recommending that Aviation Law and Space Law both become required 1L classes.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

entris posted:

Better take Aviation Law, it's a super-important class for both bar prep and private practice. I hear that the ABA is recommending that Aviation Law and Space Law both become required 1L classes.

Can you get a Space Law job outside of HYS? If so I am down.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Trash Can Man posted:

Can you get a Space Law job outside of HYS? If so I am down.

Of course. It's a competitive area, but it's not too exclusive - compared to working in a very accessible field like international criminal law, it's only a little harder to break into. You aren't going to be making the big bucks in a Space Law practice, you'll be looking at a lot less money, at least as an associate, probably something around 80k or so. That's pretty respectable for public interest work anyway.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008
In France with EADS headquarters there are a few "space" law jobs.

Its mostly contracts for sattelite stuff.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

entris posted:

Of course. It's a competitive area, but it's not too exclusive - compared to working in a very accessible field like international criminal law, it's only a little harder to break into. You aren't going to be making the big bucks in a Space Law practice, you'll be looking at a lot less money, at least as an associate, probably something around 80k or so. That's pretty respectable for public interest work anyway.
What about space criminal defense work?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

What about space criminal defense work?

The biggest problem with that area of practice is, surprise surprise, the clients. They're poor, they're unreliable, and a lot of them are oxygen intolerant, which means you will be holding client meetings at their location, which is usually a space ghetto with space drug dealers and space pimps all over the place (hold on to your wallet). Space criminal defense is just another ShitLaw area of practice like landlord-tenant and torts, basically, but like other areas of ShitLaw, you still gotta know it for the bar exam.

I think the biggest problem with Space Law courses in law school is that none of the professors have really practiced in the field - they all approach it in theoretical terms, usually slanted by their liberal bias.

entris fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 15, 2011

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

entris posted:

The biggest problem with that area of practice is, surprise surprise, the clients. They're poor, they're unreliable, and a lot of them are oxygen intolerant, which means you will be holding client meetings at their location, which is usually a space ghetto with space drug dealers and space pimps all over the place (hold on to your wallet). Space criminal defense is just another ShitLaw area of practice like landlord-tenant and torts, basically, but like other areas of ShitLaw, you still gotta know it for the bar exam.

I think the biggest problem with Space Law courses in law school is that none of the professors have really practiced in the field - they all approach it in theoretical terms, usually slanted by their liberal bias.

The exchange rate sucks, too. The dollar is vatiable against the Intergalactic Monetary Unit, so after you take the case to trial, and do all of the math, you find out that your retainer was only $0.75.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Solomon Grundy posted:

The exchange rate sucks, too. The dollar is vatiable against the Intergalactic Monetary Unit, so after you take the case to trial, and do all of the math, you find out that your retainer was only $0.75.
poo poo, then I guess I'll stick to International Panda Law (law about Pandas that travel overseas) then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smushface
May 15, 2009
Looking for some advice about LSAT timing.

About me:

-Took the LSAT last October, made a 170 without a crazy amount of studying. The last ~3 practice LSATs I took before the real one averaged out to about a 171.
-Graduate this May, will be doing Americorps for a year.
-3.5 UGPA, 3.75 if you discount my freshmen year GPA when I was pre-med (I plan on writing an eloquent addendum on my application, hopefully they care).
-I'm not URM.

I want to get my LSAT higher, especially since my GPA isn't very pretty and I plan on some intense studying starting in June. I'm pretty confident that with this preparation, I can get that score to at least a 173 and hopefully closer to ~175.

So my question is, October or December test date?

I ask because I'm not too sure how the schools I'm looking at (T14 + UCLA) factor in a retake in terms of admissions and money.