Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mukaikubo posted:

:stare:

:suspense:

Well, I guess that ties into current theme: Hearts On Fire. Let's get it on.

If the Clanner was really hitting on her wouldn't http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0HhrwIwp0 be just as good?

Speaking of the Clanner he needs to get his rear end into the forest. What is he, chicken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trast posted:

If the Clanner was really hitting on her wouldn't http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF0HhrwIwp0 be just as good?

Speaking of the Clanner he needs to get his rear end into the forest. What is he, chicken?

Every turn he wastes is fine by me.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah might as well let him keep pontificating, maybe we'll run out of turns before he's actually ready to fight.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Merry Marauder posted:

If it moves in a circle, it's going to run into a lot of Long Tom shells along the way.
Have you seen how Artillery is actually fired on the same mapsheet? I'd still give the Madcat II the favourite spot in this race, what with the +4 to hit for the Dropship and auto-hitting at worst for the 'Mech.

Longinus00 posted:

Dropship uses its shooting while landed mod and hits the madcat mk 2 most of the time while having erppcs and gauss rifles with way more ammunition than the madcat mk 2 has. Dropship also doesn't have to worry about tacs or headshots while the madcat mk 2 does.
The standard Fortress mentioned above has literally one gun (the Long Tom) that can hit the Madcat MK II if it circles at range 22. If it's within 21 hexes then the huge number of LRMs come into play, but only one side's worth can fire on any given turn and the nose mounted ones can't fire at all. Even so, it's still poor odds to land a single hit, even with the -2 for being a grounded Aerospace unit, compared to the auto-hitting return fire.

If you go and use the upgraded tech version then things get different, but at that point you're starting to twink out a smidge, so the Madcat MK II can just replace the Gauss with ERPPC and stay outside all but the range of the two ERPPC on the Dropship. Even stationary there's a good change the Dropship goes down first.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This battle is ridiculously compelling - like, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how things turn out.

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of a minatures wargame being played over the internet by people I don't know.

...what the hell? Seriously, what the hell?

This fight hasn't even ended and yet I'm still more emotionally invested in it than I have been in any of the Battletech games I actually played with real people in face-to-face interactions. Kudos, PTN. Big, big kudos.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
If that second LRM had hit there would be no Cyclops right now. Artemis FCS makes LRMs scary.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Arquinsiel posted:

Have you seen how Artillery is actually fired on the same mapsheet? I'd still give the Madcat II the favourite spot in this race, what with the +4 to hit for the Dropship and auto-hitting at worst for the 'Mech.
The standard Fortress mentioned above has literally one gun (the Long Tom) that can hit the Madcat MK II if it circles at range 22. If it's within 21 hexes then the huge number of LRMs come into play, but only one side's worth can fire on any given turn and the nose mounted ones can't fire at all. Even so, it's still poor odds to land a single hit, even with the -2 for being a grounded Aerospace unit, compared to the auto-hitting return fire.

If you go and use the upgraded tech version then things get different, but at that point you're starting to twink out a smidge, so the Madcat MK II can just replace the Gauss with ERPPC and stay outside all but the range of the two ERPPC on the Dropship. Even stationary there's a good change the Dropship goes down first.

If you're going to swap out weapons on the Madcat 2 why not swap out the gauss rifles on the fortress to erppcs as well?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
^^^^ Fortunately, the Clans didn't think to invent the OmniShip or we'd be in serious trouble.

KnoxZone posted:

If that second LRM had hit there would be no Cyclops right now. Artemis FCS makes LRMs scary.

Cyclops keeps its AC20 ammo in the right torso; so he was damned lucky I didn't roll over a '7' on the crit table. It would've been a very Steiner way to go.

VVVV He has initiative. He's moved, you just don't get to see where. (I'll give you a hint, there will be face-to-face punchings)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 15, 2011

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Negative, I demand epic robot fights. I walk Samantha "Mukai" Clover's mech to punch the other mechs clean off. I want the head to roll to the foot of Star Colonel Dusk's assault mech. Then as she ponders what hell the Steiners have wrought Clover places her right leg atop the now smoldering wreck and flexes her mech arms. Unexploded LRM rounds in the forest suddenly ignite behind her setting off a pyrotechnic explosion worthy of song and praise.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVVV He has initiative. He's moved, you just don't get to see where. (I'll give you a hint, there will be face-to-face punchings)

As the Steiner Rules intended. :colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Longinus00 posted:

If you're going to swap out weapons on the Madcat 2 why not swap out the gauss rifles on the fortress to erppcs as well?
Because that's not a canon variant?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Dammit, this thread kinda makes me want to start a Let's Play Warhammer 40k thread. I've already figured out Logistics too. (Grid with each square representing 1 inch perhaps)

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This battle is ridiculously compelling - like, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how things turn out.

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of a minatures wargame being played over the internet by people I don't know.

...what the hell? Seriously, what the hell?

This fight hasn't even ended and yet I'm still more emotionally invested in it than I have been in any of the Battletech games I actually played with real people in face-to-face interactions. Kudos, PTN. Big, big kudos.

That, my friends, is the power of the Pasty Assassin.

Also, yeah. I want to see what's going on here. I want to see some face-to-face action. I want to see Sammy Clover start taking Clanner heads with a burning fricking tree as a melee weapon.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So is physical combat effectively simultaneous with shooting? Or does the Cyclops not only have to survive incoming fire, but survive with all its parts intact to swing that club?

Bonus points if the Colonel knocks the Mugger's head into the bleachers while standing on one leg.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Narsham posted:

So is physical combat effectively simultaneous with shooting? Or does the Cyclops not only have to survive incoming fire, but survive with all its parts intact to swing that club?

Bonus points if the Colonel knocks the Mugger's head into the bleachers while standing on one leg.

No, the Physical Combat phase comes after shooting.

That said, she challenged him to physical combat. That means that he's probably not going to shoot if she doesn't.

She has the advantage in a slugging brawl, so it's in her best interests to stick to "Steiner Rules Dueling".

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Arquinsiel posted:

The standard Fortress mentioned above has literally one gun (the Long Tom) that can hit the Madcat MK II if it circles at range 22. If it's within 21 hexes then the huge number of LRMs come into play,

Artillery fire is only forced to be Direct if the target is w/n 18 hexes, even on the same mapsheet.

KnoxZone posted:

Maybe on a 20. You get, what, 3ish extra damage expectation? FCCW and later battles tend to be awash in ECM in my experience, so I usually give it a miss if I have selection.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dammit, this thread kinda makes me want to start a Let's Play Warhammer 40k thread. I've already figured out Logistics too. (Grid with each square representing 1 inch perhaps)

:aaaaa:

This would be awesome, and I heartily approve.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

Artillery fire is only forced to be Direct if the target is w/n 18 hexes, even on the same mapsheet.

Maybe on a 20. You get, what, 3ish extra damage expectation? FCCW and later battles tend to be awash in ECM in my experience, so I usually give it a miss if I have selection.

Artemis FCS can still be useful if you can spare a ton and 1 crit slot for an ECM suite of your own, then have it in ECCM mode. ECM Suites are rarely a bad idea.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

No, the Physical Combat phase comes after shooting.

That said, she challenged him to physical combat. That means that he's probably not going to shoot if she doesn't.

She has the advantage in a slugging brawl, so it's in her best interests to stick to "Steiner Rules Dueling".

It's not Lt. Clover I'm worried about, it's Rossi. Maybe the Mauler pilot's trigger finger will slip or something. It's time for this Viper to roll some snake-eyes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The odds are not in Rossi's favour. He's got really no choice but to try, of course, and maybe he'll beat the odds hard and crush that clanner, but the raw numbers aren't friendly. Looks like it'll be down/up to Samantha to play run-and-hide for as long as she can.

Good luck!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bunnyofdoom posted:

If you play it as Imperial Guard then that'd totally rock.

I wouldn't even bother with a grid, the uncertainty of it all would be interesting when we're saying "move that way fast" rather than "4.5 inches so I'm just inside range but outside charge range" etc.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, Colonel Rossi looks to be pretty screwed. If he can survive the shooting round with the clanner, I guess he could try swinging his tree club and perhaps bashing the gently caress out of the Mugger. Maybe if he managed to land a hit with that AC20 before swinging the thing... I dunno, things aren't looking good to my admittedly inexperienced eye...

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arquinsiel posted:

If you play it as Imperial Guard then that'd totally rock.

One would assume he'd have multiple factions available for the various players, that's part of what is great about the 40k universe. Lots of variety in who fights what, and everyone hates everyone else (with some basic exceptions like the Space Marines getting along okay-ish with the Guard).

I haven't actually played the tabletop version of 40k, because honestly... I'm way too lazy for all that. But I had friends who played it back in the day, and I enjoy the 40k video games and I've read some of the novels. So a 40k thread would still be very interesting.

(And it needs Orks. :orks:)

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Arquinsiel posted:

I wouldn't even bother with a grid, the uncertainty of it all would be interesting when we're saying "move that way fast" rather than "4.5 inches so I'm just inside range but outside charge range" etc.

Yep, ditching the grid system would be good. If you have the units, or even just bases and cutouts to proxy for units and terrain if you can paint good word-pictures, photo-documenting the turns on a real board/floor would be great and fit the uncertainty of the measuring of a real game. Or you can work up computer graphic battlemaps like PoptartsNinja's and a scaled ruler. Either would be fine. The trick would be whipping up something like the fluff and character that Poptarts brings to this thread.

Another suggestion: build out the rosters for each faction with people signing up for a specific one who play for that faction when they show up in battles. Hell! You could even take the Goon vs Thread formats like the SPMBT thread. Goons sign up to have the thread play their army. The thread chooses the opposing force and commands it against a goon who plays and photo-documents the battle on their own board with their own pieces and (if necessary) opposing proxies.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
This has absolutely proven to me that PTN and my GM used two different systems.

My GM gave bonuses if what we wanted to do was sufficiently Awesome.

Of course, if PTN was doing that the Unwearied Second would be undefeatable. As it should be. :colbert:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If we were playing the 'Mechwarrior RPG? I'd consider that. But since it doesn't benefit anyone to flub the rules in a tabletop wargame (slippery slope: if I can do it for the players I can do it for myself and then it just becomes as case of 'welp, this is what I want to happen' as opposed to 'welp, that happened, now I write about it')

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't think it would do much to improve the thread to fudge the rolls for either side. What's the fun in winning if the GM is basically helping you cheat?

We've seen the players kill opposing mechs in one shot (or at least disable them horribly), and opposing mechs score lucky headshots. Part of what drives the game is that at any point, you could get a really lucky shot that changes the battle.

Or your machine gun ammo could cook off and take out a city block.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Zaodai posted:

One would assume he'd have multiple factions available for the various players, that's part of what is great about the 40k universe. Lots of variety in who fights what, and everyone hates everyone else (with some basic exceptions like the Space Marines getting along okay-ish with the Guard).

I haven't actually played the tabletop version of 40k, because honestly... I'm way too lazy for all that. But I had friends who played it back in the day, and I enjoy the 40k video games and I've read some of the novels. So a 40k thread would still be very interesting.

(And it needs Orks. :orks:)

WEll, poo poo son, of course. I would be doing that. I was thinking of doing it kinda like PTN did this thread, with a slight alternative universe feel to it. Like I'm thinking, what if Abaddon actually took Cadia in the 13th Crusdade? Or what if Yarrick died from his wounds during the second Armageddon war?

And Yes there would be Orks.

This is all theory at this stage. If I did do it, it would be well after finals finish for me on the 27th.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So can someone with a stronger understanding of Battletech rules than me give us a best-guess on the players' chance to win, partially and/or totally?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

WEll, poo poo son, of course. I would be doing that. I was thinking of doing it kinda like PTN did this thread, with a slight alternative universe feel to it. Like I'm thinking, what if Abaddon actually took Cadia in the 13th Crusdade? Or what if Yarrick died from his wounds during the second Armageddon war?

And Yes there would be Orks.

This is all theory at this stage. If I did do it, it would be well after finals finish for me on the 27th.

If you're going to go that route, how about the ultimate What-If scenario:

The Emperor survives the Heresy. In fact, he's not even wounded. Sanguinus arrives before Horus, and the two meet the traitor head on. Horus is slain, but Sanguinus is mortally wounded. He is placed upon the Golden Throne, and the Emperor resumes his conquest.

Now aware that keeping Humanity in the dark about Chaos is worse than not, the Emperor openly reveals their existence. They are presented as being incredibly powerful alien beings that seek only the complete destruction of Man and all his Works. The Emperor also ruthlessly seeks out and destroys as many religions that revere him as a god that he can find.

So, let's explore what grimdark would be like without the Space Church of Man.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

ZeeToo posted:

So can someone with a stronger understanding of Battletech rules than me give us a best-guess on the players' chance to win, partially and/or totally?

I'd say the Colonel needs to win initiative on the Mugger and keep it, and just go to town with the ac 20 and the club/fists. He outweighs the Mugger and in theory the Mugger won't respond with physical attacks -- but the LRMs are a bitch. He should still be able to out-damage it and hopefully leave it crippled. Samantha needs to win her duel. She outweighs and severely out-armours the Lucerne, so she should be able to. If the Colonel can at leave the Mugger in bad shape she could challenge it to a physical duel as well, maybe leaning on the fact that she's dumped her ammo for 'honourable duels' under Steiner rules. If she continues challenging mechs to come after her in the forest fire (which she should be able to sink merrily without weapons fire or engine crits) she can wait for the assaults to come lumbering after her.

That's pretty much it. If they can win their current duels and keep up the duelling, the reduced damage from physical combat makes Samantha the best bet for dragging this out. IMO.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ZeeToo posted:

My understanding of the rules isn't terribly strong, in all honesty, but it's non-zero; I figure that qualifies me to give an opinion but keep in mind that other peoples' opinions may differ and they're probably right because they're smarter than me.

Anyways, the players' chance to win looks to me to be low but non-zero. Next round is the key - if the Cyclops survives and gets to that Mugger to lay some HTH smackdown and if the dice go his way, then there's a chance that the Mugger could get put down... but really, Rossi's Cyclops isn't the main attraction here.

That distinction belongs to Fan Favorite Lt. Samantha Clover and her "Steiner Rules" punch-out with the Lucerne. Even if Rossi's Cyclops gets cored by the Mugger, chances are that the Mugger will be constrained by honor rules to stop shooting and/or hitting things until the Zeus/Lucerne duel is complete, so the chances are reasonably high that Clover will be able to draw the battle out for several rounds; the fact that you get only one physical attack per turn limits the damage-throwing potential of both 'Mechs, which will keep the fight lasting longer than it might otherwise (not to mention negating the Clan advantage of superior gunnery skill and mo' better guns to use it with - hell, if memory serves the Clan pilots are actually penalized for physical attacks).

I don't think the fight is going to last 9 turns, but if Clover can make the fight last at least, say, five turns then she may be able to issue a similar challenge to the Mugger's pilot, and if Rossi is successful in battering the Mugger up a bit then there's a decent chance that the Mugger may have to spend, say, 2 turns reaching her, and then it's just a matter of staying alive for just 2 more turns...

A lot of things have to go right for the Unwearied Second to pull out a win, and the dice could well screw the pooch for them (hell, if Clover gets stupidly lucky and KOs the Lucerne with a punch in the proverbial nose and knocks out its pilot or something, that fantastic victory could actually screw the Steiners in the long run). At present I'd give them... say 30% odds, but that could all change very shortly.

So, yeah. Rossi's the sideshow right now unless he gets ridiculously lucky; Clover's the main event. I think the current course of action is probably the best one the team has available - the "Steiner Rules" challenge was sheer fuckin' brilliance - and gives them their best shot of winning, but even that best shot is longer'n one might hope.

(edited to add - I actually think that, depending on how Rossi does, the odds of a total victory might actually be better than the odds of a partial; if Rossi gets shot to poo poo by the Mugger, then Clover might be able to keep the duel alive long enough to hit the 20-turn mark pass while the Mugger is still standing. If Rossi kills the Mugger dead, though, it's anyone's guess, because then Clover has to draw out the duel for as long as possible to keep the Assault Star out of action for as long as possible.)

DivineCoffeeBinge fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 15, 2011

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

bunnyofdoom posted:

I would really love to see this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RickVoid posted:

If you're going to go that route, how about the ultimate What-If scenario:

The Emperor survives the Heresy. In fact, he's not even wounded. Sanguinus arrives before Horus, and the two meet the traitor head on. Horus is slain, but Sanguinus is mortally wounded. He is placed upon the Golden Throne, and the Emperor resumes his conquest.

Now aware that keeping Humanity in the dark about Chaos is worse than not, the Emperor openly reveals their existence. They are presented as being incredibly powerful alien beings that seek only the complete destruction of Man and all his Works. The Emperor also ruthlessly seeks out and destroys as many religions that revere him as a god that he can find.

So, let's explore what grimdark would be like without the Space Church of Man.

Wouldn't that pretty much cripple the Imperium? I mean all their voodoo magic poo poo is attuned to the continual psychic presence of the Emperor. I guess they'd never really lose most of their technology at that point (because I assume the Emperor wouldn't let that poo poo stand), but that'd lead to entirely different armies and technology and the like.

It'd be impossible to write a game like that and have it actually be 40k.

But as far as the LP setting goes, you could always have us fighting a smaller aspect of a more famous battle. There were plenty of fights not directly covered in the Wars for Armageddon and the like. You can use the overall setting without making it a reenactment of a famous battle. Or use the location as a reason but change who is attacking or why. Plenty of directions you could go without having to change the timeline up for it.

40k has a shitload of wars against everyone, which makes it a little easier to insert your own battles compared to BattleTech where PTN needed to make an alternate universe because so many of the major wars were pretty firmly on rails. Don't get me wrong, I think PTN has done a great job so far fluff wise (even if he won't send Mechwarrior Knox away in shame. :argh:), but I think his alternate universe was more out of necessity than choice. Otherwise it's pretty much "Well, you can fight the Succession Wars, or you can fight the Clan Wars. Or you can open the big bag of retardation that is the Jihad and the after effects."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zaodai posted:

I haven't actually played the tabletop version of 40k, because honestly... I'm way too lazy for all that.

Spoiler Alert: It's actually not a great game system. The turn structure takes forever, tanks are generally either incredibly hard targets or so fragile they're a liability, armies that focus on close combat are overpowered (but less so than in past editions when they were virtually unstoppable) and, worst of all in many people's opinion, GW churns out a constant stream of special rules that bog down play and muck up balance to no end.

40K is popular because the fluff is really fun and the art direction has improved consistently for years. The game itself is ridiculously expensive and time-consuming before you even get to the tabletop. When you finally finish that army many people discover that playing a 4+ hour game with "standard" army sizes isn't their cup of tea after all.

Then you discover that your army is not competitive because the meta-game is dominated by specific lists that mostly focus on extremely powerful mechanic X, and that in fact the top tier of play consists of only 1 or 2 army lists because that list happens to have unit A that both exploits powerful mechanic X and unbalanced special rule Y.

The worst offender was the CybOrk Nob Biker unit that had an entire suite of special rules that literally rewrote the basic damage-allocation and armor rules that applied to everything else in the game. The unit quickly came to dominate play because it was literally subject to a different basic ruleset than the rest of the game. :orks:

I would actually totally be interested in running an LP like this because it's so easy to do fluffy 40K stories that are fun, but I have no idea what kind of tool (is there a java tool for 40K?) to use or how to run a game that wouldn't take three weeks of updates just to get halfway through.

If anyone is really interested in talking about setting up a 40K LP send me a PM, but we definitely shouldn't poo poo up the BattleTech LP with endless 40K fluff discussions that seem to already be starting! Zaodai resist! RESIST!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 15, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So if we hold for 20 turns the DropShips come online and take off, right?

What happens to the people on the ground?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

They'd get captured if they couldn't board the dropships in time I guess.

This fight is getting metal as gently caress.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PoptartsNinja posted:

If we were playing the 'Mechwarrior RPG? I'd consider that. But since it doesn't benefit anyone to flub the rules in a tabletop wargame (slippery slope: if I can do it for the players I can do it for myself and then it just becomes as case of 'welp, this is what I want to happen' as opposed to 'welp, that happened, now I write about it')

Oh trust me, I know. It's just that this entire situation really drove home the difference for me, given the whole "Fistfight in a forest fire" thing v:shobon:v

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is a really good question. There's a star of Clan assault mechs standing directly in front of a dropship that needs a runway to take off. That could either be very bad or very good for our Steiner heroes, depending on how PTN wants to interpret the relative masses and forces involved.

Dude I was just joking about how 40K makes people 'sperg. No need to apologize. :shobon:
\/\/\/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Arglebargle III posted:

Zaodai resist! RESIST!

Why am I always the one accused of making GBS threads up the thread? In this case, I didn't even start the derail. :saddowns:

But yeah, I did ramble on a bit. Sorry.

I think the DropShips come online and wreck the Clans poo poo, then pick up the survivors and ride off into the sunset. Or maybe just the sun. The important thing is, Steel Vipers die and we all get pancakes. Hooray!

• Locked thread