Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluebottle
Jan 30, 2008

Sweet As Sin posted:

Since I was ignored last time, I'll rephrase my question: Is it worth it belonging to IEEE and ISA (as a student member, of course)? I'm Secretary of Memberships of the ISA student faction in my school, and I'll probably join IEEE too. Although I want to know if I'll be wasting my money.

Since no one else answered you, yes those can be quite nice little things to have on your resume or grad school application. I maintained the website for my school's AIChE chapter back in the day. For me it actually involved very little work and as I recall it garnered a bit of positive attention in some job interviews later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

SeaBass posted:

I'll be taking that one in October. Could have taken this past one, but I decided to put it off (glad I did).

Me too, unless I horrifically underestimated myself.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Looking back on my undergrad, I wish I hadn't had hosed around so much. Some of that loving around was working on extracurricular projects and beneficial to my education, but it doesn't really show on my resume. Also, going to school in an area where my field of choice isn't done was a mistake. I'm doing grad school right now and while it's fine, I'm still not getting any callbacks for jobs or anything. Finding engineering jobs is not supposed to be this frustrating. :(

I've sent out a lot of resumes for summer positions, but doesn't look like any of them are going to pan out. When do you guys reckon I should write them off and start making (lovely) alternative summer plans?

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 11, 2011

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

taketheshot posted:

Anyone else take the PE Exam today? Just got back from it (Civil - Water / Environmental). Overall it was a bit harder than I expected, certainly harder than the NCEES Sample Exams on their website. I went in with Lindenberg's CERM, Goswami's All-in-One book, my review class binder, and the FE reference and made good use of all of them.

I took the PE (civil-water/Eviro buddy here) this weekend. I'm not sure what to make of it. I felt OK afterward but the drat test seems like it's out to trick you so who knows. I brought the CERM and a few text books (open channel flow, intro to environmental engineering and a hydraulics book), I also brought the NCEES practice exam and a binder full of problems I solved during my studying. I used all the things I brought, but wish I would have brought a more in depth textbook for water/wastewater treatment.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Bluebottle posted:

Since no one else answered you, yes those can be quite nice little things to have on your resume or grad school application. I maintained the website for my school's AIChE chapter back in the day. For me it actually involved very little work and as I recall it garnered a bit of positive attention in some job interviews later.

Thanks, this made my day, since the investment is done :3:

Pauly Shore
May 3, 2009

Life's about greasing the 'do back, buddy, and wheezin' on the buff-fest
Just giving an update on my previous post: I accepted a job at Michelin today!

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Pauly Shore posted:

Just giving an update on my previous post: I accepted a job at Michelin today!

Cool beans, congratulations. You going in for Michelin or one of their subsidiaries (BF Goodrich)? Where are they putting you?

Pauly Shore
May 3, 2009

Dead Pressed posted:

Cool beans, congratulations. You going in for Michelin or one of their subsidiaries (BF Goodrich)? Where are they putting you?

It's for Michelin. I'm doing what they refer to as "Pipeline Engineer," where I'll train for 5-7 weeks, then they'll place me at the place that needs me the most. Hopefully I get put somewhere in South Carolina; Alabama and Oklahoma don't sound too appealing. I'm a Chemical Engineering major, graduating in less than a month. :woop:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
oh good this years coming grads are getting hired while I still haven't found a loving job yet.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Well have you been failing to land interviews, or convert those interviews to jobs?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Electrical-Power here.

It kicked my rear end. I was all ready to do difficult per-unit fault analysis, complex algebra for calculating currents, etc. When I got into the test it was nothing like the practice exams and consisted of trivia questions on obscure poo poo. Also, gently caress whoever invented the question that starts with "What is the best way to XXXX...". It makes you overthink the simplest things.

Been horrifically fretting over it the past few days. I made a lot of stupid mistakes because when I look up a lot of the things I didn't know, I used the theory instead of common sense.
I thought the actual PE exam was way easier than the practice tests, and finished up 2 hours early in the afternoon. Which gave me 2 hours to pore through my references worrying about the questions I wasn't confident on...

The trick is that every question has a trivial answer. If your solution involves 20 minutes of calculations, you're doing it wrong.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Nam Taf posted:

Well have you been failing to land interviews, or convert those interviews to jobs?

I've been getting the occasional interview. Some of them have gone really well, only to have me lose out to someone else with actual experience :negative:

Pauly Shore
May 3, 2009

dxt posted:

I've been getting the occasional interview. Some of them have gone really well, only to have me lose out to someone else with actual experience :negative:

Experience has been huge for me and my friends that are graduating. One friend has no experience, and can barely land an interview. A couple of places wouldn't take his resume at our career fair.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
What type of engineer are you?

There are some various blue collar jobs that you could do while job hunting that would put you from last to the front of the pack. You're SUPPOSED to do them while in college but oh well. Those that come to mind for a mechanical are: Machinist/CNC Machinist, Machinery Repair, Auto Mechanic, etc.

I only have a two year degree and have gotten one job offer in the 40s and declined to pursue another job that I was told I was the front runner for because it was an hour from my house. (Which was also in the 40s) This is because I have CNC machining/programming/setup/repair experience and can market myself as go-getter. (Also I had a one year internship in engineering.) I of course declined as it would mean putting off completion of my degree. Both of those jobs I found because of craigslist, posting my resume and responding to ads. Also hit up linked in that website rocks.

Point is you don't need to get a title like engineer or engineer intern on your resume to get experience that employers respect.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I have a BS in Electrical Engineering and I had a software internship.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dxt posted:

Where have you been applying? This describes me when I graduated 100%.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
wherever I can find for entry level EE or software engineering on indeed.com or on craiglist minneapolis.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

In the free time you've got, work on projects, be they software or hardware (or both). Cool projects can be a good substitute for formal experience. Build yourself an automated soda machine or something.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I was going to try making apps for my phone but my poo poo old laptop can't handle the webos emulator. I've done the software side of a vending machine both as just a GUI and with a microcontroller, parts for more than that would cost more than I could afford. A friend of mine is working on an converting a motorcycle to an electric one and I'm going to help him with that, i'll put that on my resume once we actually do something with it.

Is there any place to get older versions of autocad legally? Their website has current student versions for free and a lot of jobs seem to want you to know autocad, but my laptop isn't close to the spec requirements for the current versions.

fatlightning
Nov 7, 2006
I have two questions;

I was just offered an internship by the office people, but now I need to talk to HR and talk about the wage and everything else. How do you negotiate for a higher starting wage then they initially offer? They will offfer 18/h but I know I could get 22 or so an hour elsewhere. I don't want to sound greedy but I need to pay for school with the money I make in the summer.

My second question is how will an environmental internship look on my resume as a mechanical student? I could probably hold out and work somewhere else more mechanical minded, but I like this company and all the hours they are offering(60+/week).

timtastic
Apr 15, 2005
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything
I don't think you're going to be able to negotiate much as an intern. I don't even think many regular employees are in much of a position to negotiate starting salaries. It is a buyer's market for labor right now, and has been for the past few years.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

fatlightning posted:

I was just offered an internship by the office people, but now I need to talk to HR and talk about the wage and everything else. How do you negotiate for a higher starting wage then they initially offer? They will offfer 18/h but I know I could get 22 or so an hour elsewhere. I don't want to sound greedy but I need to pay for school with the money I make in the summer.

Doesn't hurt to ask, the worst they can say is "no". Just tell them that you're familiar with other positions in the area, or even that you've had another offer of $22/hr (no need to say where) but that you're really more interested in working at this place. If they say no, that's all you can do. But you'll never get a bump in pay unless you ask for it.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 13, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

dxt posted:

What are you looking to apply your EE training to? If electronics then start doing projects. You mentioned programming, get familiar with Atmel AVRs, there's a ton of electromechanical interfacing you can do for cheap. Heck I even have a project I would hire you to do and send you the components for if you have basic knowledge of electronics and some fairly basic C programming skills. (Details below.) Indeed and craigslist are great places to search keep it up. Join linkedin if you havent already and then as soon as you do SEO your linkedin profile for electrical engineer and start joining groups and messaging recruiters. There are tons of engineering or technical degree only type recruiters on linked in. Tons.

BTW If anyone is interested in the project, I have instructions and sample code to complete part of it. You take an Atmel AVR that you already have header files for the components youre interfacing. Interface it with a small linear encoder that outputs serial data via four pins. The serial data is at like 1.5V or something so a level shifting circuit will need to be made to read the data. (Have instructions for this as well) A value and the data will then need to be output to the computer and to an LCD screen (which I have a header file for and sample code) after being compared to a table of values for the data. There will be about four or five tables of data to compare to, which one is used will be based on a 5 position switch. Pretty simple project that has most of the time consuming stuff done. I just don't have a whole lot of interest in completing it as I am busy in school and working.

Pays $100 and I supply all parts needed.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 13, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 10, 2023

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

fatlightning posted:

You need to be very careful about how you approach this. We hired a few interns last summer and during the hiring process, one candidate asked for more money. He wasn't hired.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
If you can't get multiple offers for internships making a decent wage (like $18/hr) then you [probably shouldnt be trying to get more out of the one you can get unless you have better opportunities.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
So I just had an interview with Intel this past Friday. I currently have a job in PA working as an engineering (Comp Eng), and I like what I do - but my fiancee and I are trying to move back closer to home before we get married, etc.

I thought the interview went great - I had technical quizzes all day long (9:30am - 4:00pm interview) and nailed the sections that were most relevant to the position I was interviewing for (logic design). Admittedly I wasn't super strong in the software section.

Now I'm playing the waiting game with them - it's been 3 days of radio silence on their end and it's driving me nuts!

No real point to this post other than I'm going crazy and can't talk to anyone at work about it because I don't want them knowing I'm looking for a new job until I have a secure way out...

Is anyone aware of companies in New England looking for Computer Engineers with a year of FPGA development and a thirst for either RTL design or DSP-related work about 18 months of out Undergrad?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Automotive guys are hiring left and right here in Michigan.

Good: jobs for a lot of engineers!
Bad: the automotive industry is a lovely industry to work in and incredibly stultifying. My soul was crushed in a few months. So happy I am gone now.

Why is it bad you say? In a nutshell, Dilbert. Revolving door of middle management that come in to your supplier from another supplier, and then leaves in 2 years for yet another supplier in your tier. (imagine a guy go from TRW -> Continental -> Lear. all the loving time.)

And frankly (EE/CE here), the hardware is not exciting, in the least. Your job is to make it as cheap as possible, and avoid taking risks. I worked on ECUs and RKE systems, and the most useful skills I took away from there will aid me should I decide to become a car thief. (god why is my soul crushed, I just hit the second decade of my life :smith:) Found a neat way to kill off a resistor or capacitor and save 2 cents a unit? KUDOS! Fixed a game-killing bug or something else? WHY DID YOU NOT CATCH IT SOONER RAAARGH

Anyways, what absolutely helps is projects! Personal projects help out primarily because of passion. If you're taking the time and spending the money to do a project for yourself, you're likely passionate about it. I love taking apart consoles and modifying them; it's even more fun when you buy a FPGA dev kit and roll your own modchip or try to emulate the disc drive to load software from flash.

Microcontrollers are dirt cheap, and even the simplest projects will drive basic circuit design, control theory, etc into your brain. I think TI's MSP430 is $4.30, for less than a meal at Taco Bell you can brush up on embedded C and do some cool poo poo. You'll unconsciously be able to bring these up in conversation and sound like a guy with years of experience, instead of months.

As for interns bargaining for salary, that was the furthest thing from my mind when I interviewed, I was primarily :haw: INTERVIEW!

@Cannister, I'm curious (if you can say), what are Intel's quizzes/tests like? If my alternate career plans don't work out, I'd love to start begging/networking for opportunities out in Silicon Valley.

movax fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 13, 2011

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

movax posted:

@Cannister, I'm curious (if you can say), what are Intel's quizzes/tests like? If my alternate career plans don't work out, I'd love to start begging/networking for opportunities out in Silicon Valley.

Well for the logic stuff the questions were mostly things like:
-draw me a state diagram for a pattern detector for this pattern "1101".
-ok now take that state machine and implement it in the RTL language of your choosing.
-ok now how many flops will it take to implement that state machine? (answer: it depends on the encoding method used - binary vs one-hot take up different amount of flops)
-"it depends" you say? Why? Ok Cool - what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two. (answer: space vs speed/security tradeoff)
-say you have some logic that is nowhere near meeting timing. eg You have 15 ns of logic on a 10 ns clock. What can you do? (answer: break logic into smaller steps [aka pipelining])
-say you have some logic that is reaaaally close to meeting timing and you've broken it down to it's simplest operations - what can you do? (answer: add a buffer to the clock line to delay the clock)

for Verification it was things like "how would you test a Memory chip to see if it was working?", or "say you have this 4 input logic gate made up of a NAND and a NOR whose outputs go to another NAND. Say the output of the first NAND is shorted high. What values could you apply to the 4 inputs to test it?" Things like that.

The Software stuff was mostly object oriented programming related like "what is polymorphism?" and "write me a class that implements a linked list." and "ok now write a function to append a new item to the end of the list." I wish I'd worked with OO languages in the past 3 1/2 years because I needed help at each step and then had no problem... Ugh.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Did anyone in this thread get their engineering degree as a second degree? I have no regrets about earning my first degree in humanities/area studies, however I've toyed around with the idea of going back to school a few years down the line for a second degree in civil or mechanical engineering and want to know how practical it is, especially since there's really no such thing as a part time engineering program.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

psydude posted:

Did anyone in this thread get their engineering degree as a second degree? I have no regrets about earning my first degree in humanities/area studies, however I've toyed around with the idea of going back to school a few years down the line for a second degree in civil or mechanical engineering and want to know how practical it is, especially since there's really no such thing as a part time engineering program.

I graduated with a degree in Economics, spent 9 years as a software developer, then bailed from the industry. I'm currently 2 years into a ME degree, with 2 more to go. I'll be nearly 40 (and broke) by the time I graduate, but no regrets. I love being back in school, even when I'm hating a particular class.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant
Anybody know about good places for a Computer Engineer to work in Massachusetts, Southern NH, or Northern CT? I've gotten nothing but radio silence from Intel for a week now and I want to keep looking. Looking to stay in Digital Design.

I hear the 128 corridor is the place to look in Mass - I don't know what's really there though, nor can you google "jobs along 128 corridor" so...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MourningGlory posted:

I graduated with a degree in Economics, spent 9 years as a software developer, then bailed from the industry. I'm currently 2 years into a ME degree, with 2 more to go. I'll be nearly 40 (and broke) by the time I graduate, but no regrets. I love being back in school, even when I'm hating a particular class.

Did you go straight into the ME program and just take the prerequisite undergrad courses along the way?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Cannister posted:

Anybody know about good places for a Computer Engineer to work in Massachusetts, Southern NH, or Northern CT? I've gotten nothing but radio silence from Intel for a week now and I want to keep looking. Looking to stay in Digital Design.

I hear the 128 corridor is the place to look in Mass - I don't know what's really there though, nor can you google "jobs along 128 corridor" so...

Dunno how much computer engineering is done on for a submarine, but General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, CT is literally hiring hundreds of entry level engineers, maybe look in their posted listings. The three of us who interviewed with them on my senior design team all got job offers (we're all MEs though).

(But I'm staying in grad school :D)

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 15, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cannister posted:

If you're willing to not do logic design, lots of contracts abound for guys to do simple, integrated embedded systems based around Atmel or Microchip hardware. I generally use these contracts to fund my booze habit.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

psydude posted:

Did you go straight into the ME program and just take the prerequisite undergrad courses along the way?

I already had the general ed courses taken care of, from my first degree. So the past 2 years I've been going to school part-time, taking calculus, physics and a few low-level engineering courses. I'll be going full-time during the next 2 years, now that I've got all the prereq stuff out of the way. So, the plan at this point is to finish the BS, work for a few years to figure out what area of ME I really like, then find someone who will pay for me to get a Masters.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

Frinkahedron posted:

Dunno how much computer engineering is done on for a submarine, but General Dynamics Electric Boat in Groton, CT is literally hiring hundreds of entry level engineers, maybe look in their posted listings. The three of us who interviewed with them on my senior design team all got job offers (we're all MEs though).

(But I'm staying in grad school :D)

I think they're hiring EEs as well.

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?
I just landed my first EE position at a local power company! The position is titled "Engineer in Training." I basically get to bounce around for 18 months and learn what the different engineers do.

All I can say to anyone on the job hunt is keep at it! Practice interviewing and keep confident.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Cannister posted:

Pratt and Whitney, Hamilton Sundstrand, and UTC Power are all located in Northern CT. Way closer than commuting to Groton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

Pratt and Whitney, Hamilton Sundstrand, and UTC Power are all located in Northern CT. Way closer than commuting to Groton.

I'm retarded and didn't read your post closely enough (location wise). My little B works at Hamilton Sundstrand (in CT) as a CE right now on FADECs, I will check with him to see if they're hiring.

I'll also ping my buddy at Electric Boat. Goon network! :buddy: