Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hankor posted:

Look at you, remember how wrong those people that put vinegar in their potato salad are? You are worse.

Sorry I don't like to eat things that grow when you toss leftovers under the sink.

(It's a weird phobia, I know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
I'm not going to tell you what to like but you are seriously missing out on some of the best food ever conceived. Also yeast is a kind of mushroom.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ziir posted:

Considering how disgusting I think mushrooms are, Jägerschnitzel is out.
You could make the East German version. Bread and fry a thick slice of Jagdwurst, serve with tomato sauce and noodles.

Boy was I surprised when I moved from the West to the East and ordered Jägerschnitzel in the university cafeteria.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hankor posted:

Also yeast is a kind of mushroom.

You shut up :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Broken Dictionary posted:

Can police just randomly search you in Germany?
A friend and I were walking back home one night and the police stopped us and wanted to search my friend's backpack because he looked like "he was on drugs" or some poo poo.
My friend let them search his backpack and the police found nothing and that was it.

How do German laws searches, warrants, etc. compare to U.S. ones?

One thing to keep in mind that might come in handy: In most (probably all) states the policemen have to give you a receipt about the time, place and reason for the search if you ask for it. This may be useful if the search causes you to miss an appointment, train or whatever. Alternatively you can just use that to annoy them if they singled you out for nothing. Also you can always insist of being present while they search your stuff.

The specific paragraph for the receipt varies based on states, but it's usually in the POlG or SOG under "Durchsuchung von Sachen"

Come on now, I was joking. Besides, if you stay polite there isn't really much they could/would do to you only because you insisted on a right of yours.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 30, 2011

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!

Perestroika posted:

Alternatively you can just use that to annoy them if they singled you out for nothing.

That's a great idea to not only give them a motive for doing whatever they can to piss you off but also a brilliant idea to behave as a human being in general.

china
Aug 2, 2008
So I'm now in ingolstadt to live, anyone want to catch up?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Got some questions about German CVs, could anyone tell me some guidelines for what Germans are/aren't looking for? For example in America, we're told to keep it short to one page unless we've got years upon years of experience to warrant the extra pages. We don't attach pictures to our resumes or CVs though I think some countries in the EU/EEA prefer that. We don't list every single job we've held, just relevant ones to the job I'm applying for, etc.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ziir posted:

Got some questions about German CVs, could anyone tell me some guidelines for what Germans are/aren't looking for? For example in America, we're told to keep it short to one page unless we've got years upon years of experience to warrant the extra pages. We don't attach pictures to our resumes or CVs though I think some countries in the EU/EEA prefer that. We don't list every single job we've held, just relevant ones to the job I'm applying for, etc.
Generally it's the same in Germany, i.e. keep it short and relevant. However, a photo is considered a "must". People expect a "Bewerbungsfoto", i.e. you should go to a photographer and shell out a few euros to get a decent one. It's also customary to include copies of reports from jobs you held in the past ("Arbeitszeugnis", "Praktikumszeugnis"...) and a copy of your diploma instead of just listing references.

Of course this always depends on whether you're applying for an entry-level job straight out of uni (all of the above applies), a part-time job flipping burgers (photo still important, copies of qualification not so much) or are changing companies sometime later in your career.

bmxerguy
Jun 17, 2008
So I have been looking for train tickets from Dresden on raileurope and noticed that they are all $400 more then anywhere else. Muenchen to Salzburg is $100 and Dresden to Salzburg is $500. Anywhere from Dresden is like this. Does anyone know why? I'm staying in Dresden for the summer so this sucks.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I don't know exactly which other destinations you tried, but Salzburg is a lot closer to Munich than it is to Dresden. I should point out that if I check at bahn.de, I'm getting prices around €120 one way from Dresden to Salzburg tomorrow - twice that is a lot but well short of $500, so I'm not sure what connections raileurope is trying to sell you. If you know when you want to take your train, you can often save a lot of money by booking a while in advance, by the way; if I look for tickets in June now, the price goes down to about €40 (still Dresden-Salzburg one way).

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

bmxerguy posted:

So I have been looking for train tickets from Dresden on raileurope and noticed that they are all $400 more then anywhere else. Muenchen to Salzburg is $100 and Dresden to Salzburg is $500. Anywhere from Dresden is like this. Does anyone know why? I'm staying in Dresden for the summer so this sucks.

I would use the "Bayernticket" from Munich to Salzburg. For some 20€ you can use any S-Bahn, U-Bahn whatever in Bavaria and get to Salzburg. Don't know if you can use public transportation in Salzburg with the ticket but going to and from there is no problem.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
What do you guys know about "International Schools" in Germany?

I'm looking at making a career change from college mathematics professor to something where I don't have to work with dickheads in college mathematics departments every day for the rest of my life.

It looks like these schools pay well, speak English (I speak a very minimal amount of German), and encourage people that really want to share their love of their subject with school age kids. Is this a scam or could they really be legit?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Maybe you could link us a school you're talking about?

Speaking of schools,

http://www.studis-online.de/HoPo/art-1177-abschaffung_studiengebuehren_nrw.php

Cool, I just found out my state abolished tuition fees. It wont go into affect until WS 2011 so I won't get my money back for this current semester, but hey that's awesome either way. Plus it's a huge 180 compared to US politics where they just keep cutting education over and over again.

(jet lag is a bitch)

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Just a few that I looked at pages for:

Frankfurt International School: https://www.fis.edu
International School Franfurt-Rhein-Main (ISF): http://www.isf-net.de/
The JFK School - Berlin: http://www.jfks.de/

Just running a google search pulls up a list of about 20-40 schools in Germany alone. So I suspect that it's not all that uncommon for people to send their kids to English speaking grade and high schools. Some of these look like pretty snobby schools. Are they?

In that vein, what do you guys know about English speaking colleges in Germany? Common/Uncommon? Do they try to hire from within EU or do they hire from around the world (i.e. EVIL Americans)?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

LaserWash posted:

Just running a google search pulls up a list of about 20-40 schools in Germany alone. So I suspect that it's not all that uncommon for people to send their kids to English speaking grade and high schools. Some of these look like pretty snobby schools. Are they?
From what I can tell by a quick glance at the sites they seem to cater to diplomats, expats and German upper-middle class. The Frankfurt International School charges tuition fees of about 17,000 EUR, whereas normal public education is free in Germany. I would say it is very, very uncommon for people to send their kids to these types of schools. Personally I know nobody who attended such a school. But then again I'm not from a Mr. Fancy Pants background.

Edit: had a look at the ISF site now and, holy crap, they seem like a bunch of snobs: they have recommended chauffeur services in case your precious little angel cannot stomach public transport and then the 15 minute walk from the nearest train station...

quote:

In that vein, what do you guys know about English speaking colleges in Germany? Common/Uncommon? Do they try to hire from within EU or do they hire from around the world (i.e. EVIL Americans)?
If by college you mean university: very uncommon at Bachelor level. Universities generally just offer English-speaking programs at Master, PhD and post-doc levels. They would probably prefer to hire from within the EU (my hypothesis!) and even within Germany, as employing non-EU citizens is a bureaucratic nightmare with the German immigration laws.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 5, 2011

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

schoenfelder posted:

From what I can tell by a quick glance at the sites they seem to cater to diplomats, expats and German upper-middle class. The Frankfurt International School charges tuition fees of about 17,000 EUR, whereas normal public education is free in Germany. I would say it is very, very uncommon for people to send their kids to these types of schools. Personally I know nobody who attended such a school. But then again I'm not from a Mr. Fancy Pants background.

And that probably makes it very hard to be accepted as a teacher there. They can afford to be picky.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

schoenfelder posted:

Universities generally just offer English-speaking programs at Master, PhD and post-doc levels.
PhD programs in Germany usually do not include any taught classes, postdocs never take classes, they give them.

schoenfelder posted:

They would probably prefer to hire from within the EU (my hypothesis!) and even within Germany, as employing non-EU citizens is a bureaucratic nightmare with the German immigration laws.

Have you ever even attended a German university? You seem to have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Nationalities do not really matter in the academic job market, at least not with respect to immigration laws.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Previously on GBS posted:

PhD programs in Germany usually do not include any taught classes, postdocs never take classes, they give them.
You're right, sorry, I got confused there.

quote:

Nationalities do not really matter in the academic job market, at least not with respect to immigration laws.
I would guess that would depend on what the job is about. The respective law (Aufenthaltsgesetz) makes it significantly easier for non-EU citizens who want to work in research to get the residence permit. If the job does not meet the requirements for this then the default regulations would apply. And those are a pain in the rear end (have you tried to employ a non-EU citizen before?)

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
I'm only vaguely familiar with the law in question, but in practice, I've never heard of this being any concern at all (and I work in academia and have been part of hiring committees).

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

bmxerguy posted:

Just saw this and wanted to add that a good way of getting somewhere from Dresden is to take the bus to Berlin and a cheap flight from there to your destination with Easyjet, Ryanair, AirBerlin. Generally, train connections from Dresden kind of suck because it is a bit out of the way of major routes (aka "im Tal der Ahnungslosen").

I am from Dresden, so if you have questions, I'd be glad to help.

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

I'm in Berlin and I'm wondering if there are any camera stores where I can find a broad selection of film? Help me goons

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Depends on where you're located... this one's pretty central near Rosenthaler Platz and I walk past there often, it looks good from the outside and should have anything you need... http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&sa...ved=0CAcQtgMwAA

edit: from their homepage (https://www.monochrom.com) it seems like they have a broad selection of... wait for it... black & white films :haw: Yeah, so probably not what you were looking for, eh? I bet they could give you good directions to a more color-centric store though and their store seems really neat. Worth a visit, I think.

vvvv yep, that's about in the same ballpark location-wise. vvvv

Zwille fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Apr 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay I don't know a lot about photography and had to rely on google, but from the info on their website Fotoimpex looks pretty decent. Google Maps. And like Monochrom if they don't have what you need they can likely direct you to somewhere that does.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
What are the most ridiculous titles you guys have seen? I passed by a Herr Univ. Prof. Dr. Dipl.-Ing Mustermann one time but I'm sure there are even more ridiculous ones. Wikipedia says there is an abbreviation DDDr. for people that happen to have three doctorates I guess.

(What's the difference between Univ. Prof. and Prof.? Now that I'm looking at the list of faculty here some are listed as one and some as the other, I'm assuming it's seniority or something)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

If this isn't a Steilvorlage I don't know what is.

translates as
Professor Groincutter MD, Urologist

Yep, I've taken that one myself.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I did my civilian service at a hospital where there was an orthopedic surgeon named Fleischhauer.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Ziir posted:

What are the most ridiculous titles you guys have seen?

google to the rescue:

Prof. Dr. iur. utr. Dr. phil. Dr. theol. Lutz Simon M.A.
Prof. Dr. iur. Dr. rer. pol. Dr. h.c. Christian Kirchner LLM

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Ziir posted:

Herr Univ. Prof. Dr. Dipl.-Ing

I've never seen a prof still list their Dipl-Ing, that's hella weird.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

elbkaida posted:

I've never seen a prof still list their Dipl-Ing, that's hella weird.

http://www.ame.hia.rwth-aachen.de/

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Zwille posted:

Depends on where you're located... this one's pretty central near Rosenthaler Platz and I walk past there often, it looks good from the outside and should have anything you need... http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&sa...ved=0CAcQtgMwAA

edit: from their homepage (https://www.monochrom.com) it seems like they have a broad selection of... wait for it... black & white films :haw: Yeah, so probably not what you were looking for, eh? I bet they could give you good directions to a more color-centric store though and their store seems really neat. Worth a visit, I think.

vvvv yep, that's about in the same ballpark location-wise. vvvv

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay I don't know a lot about photography and had to rely on google, but from the info on their website Fotoimpex looks pretty decent. Google Maps. And like Monochrom if they don't have what you need they can likely direct you to somewhere that does.

Thanks guys. I actually did a more thorough google search before coming back to the thread and ended up at Fotoimpex anyway. I was indeed looking for primarily black and white film. Rollei 80s and the like, or maybe some special infrared nonsense. Fotoimpex had more than what I expected, so this turned out well. Thanks for the info anyway. I'll also check out Monochrom to see what they have.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Wirklicher Hofrat Dr.

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Does anyone know of any good Korean restaurants in Berlin?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The Korea Haus near Leopoldplatz is very good and not that pricey. Korea Haus on Google Maps

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Will try that ASAP. Thank you very much.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzverbot

This is bullshit.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Ziir posted:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanzverbot

This is bullshit.

One of my cities newspaper is bitching in it's main headline about that.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

That can't possibly be real / getting enforced :psyduck:

Anyway, semi related question: will have a layover in Munich from today 10 PM til tomorrow 6 AM. Anything to do during that time? I guess not but I'm still hoping there's something fun to do.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Zwille posted:

That can't possibly be real / getting enforced :psyduck:

It is enforced in Munich. Club owners will be fined 10.000 Euro by the KVR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
But that is Munich, formerly famous for its unfun city-wide closing hour.