Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Whitey Ford posted:

The wife and I have begun our first attempt to grow our family. Because the A/T Engagement Wedding Megathread helped with the first step, hopefully this thread will be a good companion too!

She had the birth control implant removed from her arm sometime in September 2009 2010 and since then we haven't been trying but we haven't been using birth control either. Until very recently I wanted kids more than my wife did. Something changed and now she wants kids badly.

This current cycle marks our first attempt to time ovulation with insemination.

It's so romantic.
Well today my wife got a very dark line on her pregnancy test :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Congratulations Whitey Ford!

I think I'm pregnant too! I'm 11 dpo and got a very faint line on a test this morning that I thought I was hallucinating until my husband confirmed it (and then we went :aaaaa: together!). I'm happy but also terrified. What now?!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Congrats to both of you!

I now fall into the "late" category of my cycle. I had some pinkish spotting and cramping on Monday and figured it was just my period starting but alas, it is Thursday night and I still have no sign of it starting. I took a pregnancy test but it was negative. Not sure if it was too diluted because of the crapton of water I drank today, could be. I guess I'll play another couple hands of the waiting game and either retest or start back at square one. I'm on day 28 of a normally 24-25 day cycle that is like clockwork. I'm crossing my fingers. The husband looked slightly excited when I told him I hadn't started yet.

Edit: I'm 13 DPO when my luteal phase is usually 11.

Bahunter22 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 18, 2011

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Good luck Bahunter! My luteal phase is usually 13 or 14 days, so I feel like it won't really "count" until I'm officially late.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Congrats to all you preggos! I felt the same way, like it wasn't really "official" until I missed my period, no matter how many blazingly positive tests I had. I felt like I needed to wait for my body to tell me rather than a pee stick :)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

SassySally posted:

Well, doctor says I probably have too much testosterone to be ovulating. Anyone else have a similar problem? What do they do to fix it?

They decided to take a bunch of tests which I won't hear results of for at least a week...

Ok, so I found the name of what it was she told me. (I'm terrible with medical terms and always forget when I leave the office...) She told me I probably have polycystic ovarian syndrome. A quick search tells me I'll have difficulty getting pregnant and higher risk for diabetes and cancer (lots of cancer in my family...)

Any experience with this?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I'm out as of this morning. A very painful out. Back to the drawing board for me.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Sorry Bahunter22 :( Good luck next month!

Congratulations Whitey Ford and Banana Cat!

FretforyourLatte: Yes, that sounds like your period. I will suggest what has been suggested here over and over again. Buy Taking Charge of Your Fertility, read it, and track your cycles using that method. It will help you know what stage of your cycle you are actually in instead of guessing. It will also help indicate if you have any problems (it will be very clear, for instance, if you don't ovulate).

Grayscale Rainbow fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 19, 2011

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Bahunter, I'm so sorry :(.

SassySally, welcome to the PCOS club! I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes last year, but only got my PCOS diagnosed a month ago--and now I'm apparently pregnant! :psyduck: Each case of PCOS is different for each woman, though, but it's not necessarily a "no pregnancy" sentence.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
PCOSer here. I am in an uncommon situation, though, of having gotten my diagnosis after having had a baby. For many PCOS women, Metformin, a diabetes drug, does wonders to help them get pregnant. And I was on Met. for my diabetes when I got knocked up, so apparently it worked for me! You might want to talk to your doctor about Met.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

So the good news is I'm pregnant. We are very cautiously happy at this point because the past several days have been very difficult.

I ended up going to the hospital on Sunday because I was in excruciating pain (10 out of 10, throwing up the pain was so bad, etc: I cannot began to explain the agony of it). The pain was focused in the lower right of my abdomen, but it extended through my entire abdomen. To make a very long story short, I had Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome and while they were monitoring me Sunday night at the hospital, the cyst on my right ovary grew from 4cm to 9cm, caused ovarian torsion (the twisting of the ovary) and then it ruptured. They did surgery. I had over half a gallon of blood pooled in my abdomen and ended up bleeding out about %70 of my blood, so I needed three transfusions. I had a partial oophorectomy and I had developed a cyst on my left ovary which they drained while they were in there. That night my blood pressure was still very low and they weren't sure if I'd need more blood. Luckily, I recovered without needed another transfusion. The surgery happened Monday morning and I was then taken to ICU. I am now home and recovering well, but with everything that has happened we don't know if the pregnancy will stick.

They continued checking my hormone levels in the hospital and when I left they were still going up, so there is hope that the pregnancy will be viable, but we won't really know until my follow-up appointment next week. I wish the best to all of you trying!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Oh my! Congrats, Grayscale! Glad to hear you are doing well and here is hoping you have a nice, sticky, complication free pregnancy from here on out!

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

So the good news is I'm pregnant. We are very cautiously happy at this point because the past several days have been very difficult.

I ended up going to the hospital on Sunday because I was in excruciating pain (10 out of 10, throwing up the pain was so bad, etc: I cannot began to explain the agony of it). The pain was focused in the lower right of my abdomen, but it extended through my entire abdomen. To make a very long story short, I had Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome and while they were monitoring me Sunday night at the hospital, the cyst on my right ovary grew from 4cm to 9cm, caused ovarian torsion (the twisting of the ovary) and then it ruptured. They did surgery. I had over half a gallon of blood pooled in my abdomen and ended up bleeding out about %70 of my blood, so I needed three transfusions. I had a partial oophorectomy and I had developed a cyst on my left ovary which they drained while they were in there. That night my blood pressure was still very low and they weren't sure if I'd need more blood. Luckily, I recovered without needed another transfusion. The surgery happened Monday morning and I was then taken to ICU. I am now home and recovering well, but with everything that has happened we don't know if the pregnancy will stick.

They continued checking my hormone levels in the hospital and when I left they were still going up, so there is hope that the pregnancy will be viable, but we won't really know until my follow-up appointment next week. I wish the best to all of you trying!

Holy crap. Sorry to hear you went through all that. I wasn't even warned about the possibility of OHSS until I moved onto IVF. That's the worst case of OHSS I've ever heard of. Do you think you were on too high a dose of meds? Wasn't this your first time with injectibles?

I really, really hope your pregnancy sticks.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

drat, Grayscale. I hope you have a very sticky pregnancy from here on out!

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

SassySally posted:

Ok, so I found the name of what it was she told me. (I'm terrible with medical terms and always forget when I leave the office...) She told me I probably have polycystic ovarian syndrome. A quick search tells me I'll have difficulty getting pregnant and higher risk for diabetes and cancer (lots of cancer in my family...)

Update: Test results showed slight elevation in testosterone. I have to go in this weekend and get some insulin test (she didn't say what specific one). Then we'll have an appointment and discuss my options.

I think I'm more scared of possible diabetes (and a shot every day!) than I am of the PCOS...

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
The insulin shots are not hard, trust me. It's the stupid finger sticks I hate so much. Insulin doesn't hurt like those mofos do.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

You also may not need insulin shots immediately. I'm only on Metformin pills at the moment and that's doing fine keeping everything under control for now. You'll be fine! Honestly, when I was told I had PCOS, my thoughts were, "FINALLY, there is a REASON for all my menstrual issues and problems getting pregnant and it's a bitch, but a treatable bitch." It is a little scary to be diagnosed with something but it a step towards your final goal.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

So my husband and I made the decision to try for our first baby this year :D

I want a couple of months of going to the gym and correcting my diet first - I figure the healthier I am, the better, and exercising pre-pregnancy will make it easier to continue through it. I already don't smoke, and only occasionally drink, but I need to kick the caffeine habit. My cycle has always been like clockwork (been tracking it for over a year now, 28 day average), we're both under 30, and I haven't been on the pill for a couple of years, so I'm hoping everything will be simple enough.

Started taking vitamins last month (Vitabiotics "Pregnacare Conception"), which covers 400mcg folic acid among other stuff. Weird thing I noticed is that for the first time in ages my cycle started 2 days late - almost unheard of for me, and had me panicking a bit! Wondering if that was caused by the vitamins.

Anyway, also picked up a basal thermometer today so going to start tracking that for a while as well; signed up on fertilityfriend.com. Also bought a couple of Clearblue tests, in preparation! We're due to be going on holiday to Thailand for the last 2 weeks of June, and by my calculations my ovulation date would be around 16th June. Not sure whether or not to start trying then, or hold off til the following month. If we started trying then, there's the possibility that I would be pregnant just before leaving for 2 weeks. Long distance plane travel / exotic food likely to cause any problems the first week or two of pregnancy?

Need to head to the doctors for a blood test soon, checking whether I've had toxoplasmosis or not. With 8 cats + fosters the last couple of years, it seems likely but my vet advised me to check anyway. I can stop worrying if doctor can tell me I've already had it! Also need to get a flu shot I hear.

Am I forgetting anything? :3:

Helanna fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 8, 2011

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
You sound like you've gotten most of this pre-conception stuff under control! Funny thing, I got checked for toxo too and I have never been exposed :confused: How is it I have been trapping ferals and raising orphans and poo poo for the last 12 years and have never been exposed? I guess I'm really clean about my cat poop. Good I guess but I worry now every IUI cycle that OMG I'M GONNA GET TOXO CAN'T TOUCH THE FERALS and I have two of them in my spare bedroom right now :(

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Helanna posted:

I want a couple of months of going to the gym and correcting my diet first - I figure the healthier I am, the better, and exercising pre-pregnancy will make it easier to continue through it. I already don't smoke, and only occasionally drink, but I need to kick the caffeine habit. My cycle has always been like clockwork (been tracking it for over a year now, 28 day average), we're both under 30, and I haven't been on the pill for a couple of years, so I'm hoping everything will be simple enough.

Started taking vitamins last month (Vitabiotics "Pregnacare Conception"), which covers 400mcg folic acid among other stuff. Weird thing I noticed is that for the first time in ages my cycle started 2 days late - almost unheard of for me, and had me panicking a bit! Wondering if that was caused by the vitamins.

Anyway, also picked up a basal thermometer today so going to start tracking that for a while as well; signed up on fertilityfriend.com. Also bought a couple of Clearblue tests, in preparation! We're due to be going on holiday to Thailand for the last 2 weeks of June, and by my calculations my ovulation date would be around 16th June. Not sure whether or not to start trying then, or hold off til the following month. If we started trying then, there's the possibility that I would be pregnant just before leaving for 2 weeks. Long distance plane travel / exotic food likely to cause any problems the first week or two of pregnancy?

Need to head to the doctors for a blood test soon, checking whether I've had toxoplasmosis or not. With 8 cats + fosters the last couple of years, it seems likely but my vet advised me to check anyway. I can stop worrying if doctor can tell me I've already had it! Also need to get a flu shot I hear.

Congrats on your decision to start trying! Hope you conceive easily :) Cutting down on caffeine is good; you can still have a couple of cups a day though. But maybe you'll be like me and abhor the taste and smell of coffee for the first few months of pregnancy ;)

I don't think a long plane ride matters during those first weeks - there is increased risk of blood clots when you're preggo, but I have no idea if that's the case so early. You should wear those blood clot stockings anyway for long plane rides, pregnant or not! And get up and walk around occasionally.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Helanna posted:

You sound super organised! Pre conception I had an epic coffee addiction. The easiest way to reduce my consumption was to go completely caffeine free, if I had one coffee in the morning I would want to have 5 so I just completely cut out all coffee, tea and soda. I used to pretty much continuously drink hot water with slices of lemon, just so I could hold something. After a few weeks it wasn't even that hard.

Did you sign up for the premium version of fertility friend? Its good for anal (vaginal?) people like us, you can go through the gallery of other peoples cycles and see if anyone got pregnant on a cycle similar to yours. Good luck!

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Exelsior posted:

Did you sign up for the premium version of fertility friend? Its good for anal (vaginal?) people like us, you can go through the gallery of other peoples cycles and see if anyone got pregnant on a cycle similar to yours. Good luck!

I've got the first month free on premium, so I can try it out. Will prob pay for it after that though as the basic features seem a bit limited.

Question about basal temperature taking though; is it more important to do it at the same time every day, or just when I wake up? Most "mornings" I wake up between midday and 1pm (I work a late shift, so don't tend to go to bed until 4 or 5am) but on my weekends I tend to sleep in til around 2pm, and don't really fancy setting my alarm early :D

Went to the gym for the first time in years today... thought I was going to die (or at least faint!) around 5 minutes in, and belatedly realised I didn't really eat anything yesterday. Whoops! Need to keep an eye on that too, I eat at weird times and often not at all on my weekends :3: Not healthy, at all.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
It's important to make it the same time every day. My temp would fluxuate a lot with even an hour's difference. Once you get into the habit, you won't even notice it. I used to set my alarm for 5am every morning, and most mornings I took my temp, wrote it down, and went back to sleep on such a robotic routine that I didn't even remember doing it when I woke up for the day. I would only know because I would look down and see my note.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

At the end of the month, I'll finally be brought on full time at my job meaning 3 months from then I'll have medical insurance again and I can go to the doctor!

I might call my gyn tomorrow to set up an appointment for 4 months from now. (I need a yearly anyway) :woop:

Edit: I'm getting my old job back the day after the one year anniversary of getting laid off from it. Hilarious.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 12, 2011

Luvbuzzed
Feb 14, 2003

Helanna posted:

Get your immunizations up to date, especially pertussis. Also ask your close family members to get a pertussis booster to help protect young babies who can't yet be immunized against it.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I'm wondering if I need to hang streamers and a giant "Welcome!" sign in my uterus. I'm out again. Is it normal to be super depressed? It hasn't been that long for us but man, oh man, do I have the blues this time around.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Alterian posted:

I might call my gyn tomorrow to set up an appointment for 4 months from now. (I need a yearly anyway) :woop:

My insurance recently changed the yearly gyn check-up to once every three years one - hopefully yours hasn't done the same without telling you, like mine did. That was nice to find out after sitting in traffic for an hour and rushing to the clinic as fast as I could...

I'd finally made peace with the fact that I probably wont have a baby for years now, or maybe not at all. And suddenly I'm an aunt of the most beautiful baby ever. And now my husband has to tell me about all the weird dreams he has where I've somehow become pregnant. You went shopping and came back with a baby. A can of soup made you pregnant. And my favorite "you somehow saved your egg during your period and stuck it in a mason jar with some sperm, and you made a baby". He's just so romantic, even in dreams... :gonk:

It helps to read all the posts here, though.

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008
I had to get an MMR vaccine since my Rubella immunity was faded before we started trying.

Bahunter22 posted:

I'm wondering if I need to hang streamers and a giant "Welcome!" sign in my uterus. I'm out again. Is it normal to be super depressed? It hasn't been that long for us but man, oh man, do I have the blues this time around.

Month after month of bad news is definitely going to take its toll on you. My only advice is to try and come up with a detailed, aggressive game plan to pursue whatever fertility treatment is going to make it happen for you. I was SO MAD when I had trouble getting pregnant since I felt I had been working towards it my whole life in a very responsible, deliberative manner and now I was out of time. My best friend who's been pregnant three times on accident (aborted twice, kept the third one) was like "Well, at least you have a happy marriage. We can't have everything (because she has no man)." I couldn't settle for that.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Farrah posted:

Month after month of bad news is definitely going to take its toll on you. My only advice is to try and come up with a detailed, aggressive game plan to pursue whatever fertility treatment is going to make it happen for you.

This is such a good idea. Knowing that you're doing something proactive to try to make it work for really does make a difference. It sort of helps with the "it's in the hands of the powers that be" aspect of it.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I'm still wading through all the pages of this thread, thanks for the test strip site. We just started thinking about trying to have kids, I've started taking prenatal vitamins and calcium, and I've booked my pre-conception visit with my gynecology NP. Now just thinking about what else we should do to get ready--is there a checklist somewhere??

Does anyone have experience with The Mother of All Pregnancy Books? I have decent knowledge of biology and medicine so I felt that What to Expect When You're Expecting book was a little too broad, and less anecdotes of what a typical woman will experience during pregnancy/birth.

Also are there any good books for my husband? He is wondering what he needs to prepare, if he also should cut down on alcohol and caffeine, etc.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

jomiel posted:

Also are there any good books for my husband? He is wondering what he needs to prepare, if he also should cut down on alcohol and caffeine, etc.

If he smokes, he should quit. Alcohol and caffeine only if his drinking them makes you jealous ;)I got a pregnancy book from a friend (not in English so you'll have to find another one) and kept it in the bathroom. That way both me and my husband read it, and I found it helpful that he knew a thing or two about pregnancy and child birth as well :)

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I love how the universal technique for getting a man to read something is to leave it in the bathroom. That where I keep "What to Expect." It's so-so for pregnancy information, and I don't think it's particularly interesting for the semen-producing partner. Most of the book is in the format of "Is X normal for my stage of pregnancy?" (The answer is pretty much always 'yes.') I'd prefer more statistics and science, but I'm a nerd like that, so I get on the internet for most things anyway. It also don't have much in it regarding techniques for getting through labor & delivery, so that's another set of books you'll end up buying, if you don't sign up for some sort of birthing course.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Rather than "What to Expect," I was given "Your Pregnancy Week by Week," and I liked it a lot more.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Luvbuzzed posted:

Get your immunizations up to date, especially pertussis. Also ask your close family members to get a pertussis booster to help protect young babies who can't yet be immunized against it.

I've never heard of this vaccine :3: googling seems to indicate that it is something available in Canada/USA, but not available for adults in most EU countries.

www.immunisation.ie posted:

Currently in Ireland, the vaccine for pertussis is usually given as part of the “6-in–1” vaccine (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Hib, Pertussis (Whooping cough), Hepatitis B and Polio) Three doses of the "6 in 1" vaccine are usually given at two, four and six months of age.

I guess I'll have to go with that :D

Fire In The Disco posted:

Rather than "What to Expect," I was given "Your Pregnancy Week by Week," and I liked it a lot more.

Which version, there seems to be a number of books with that name?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Helanna posted:

Which version, there seems to be a number of books with that name?

6th Edition.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Helanna posted:

I've never heard of this vaccine :3: googling seems to indicate that it is something available in Canada/USA, but not available for adults in most EU countries.

Are you sure? I'm in Europe (not the EU though) and it's recommended as a booster every 10 year for adults. It comes in a shot called DTP-IPV, which immunizes against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and polio. I would ask my doctor about it :)

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Panne posted:

Are you sure? I'm in Europe (not the EU though) and it's recommended as a booster every 10 year for adults. It comes in a shot called DTP-IPV, which immunizes against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and polio. I would ask my doctor about it :)

Ireland's pages seem to indicate it's not given to adults here, and in most EU countries after 7 years old (except Germany?), but I'm definitely going to ask about it :D

Fire In The Disco posted:

6th Edition.

Thanks, just picked it up :D

Helanna fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 15, 2011

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I just peed on a stick and I honestly can't tell if I'm seeing a very faint line or not. Once I have to pee again, I'll use the second test that came in the box, but it's making me a little nutty.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Panne posted:

If he smokes, he should quit. Alcohol and caffeine only if his drinking them makes you jealous ;)

Hmm, I'm sure I've read that alcohol and caffeine do affect fertility in men.

Edit: A quick google indicates that alcohol affects the production of healthy sperm (and also pulls up ads saying "drench her with sperm!" :pervert:). Caffeine is much more ambiguous -- most say bad, some say good.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

limegrnxj posted:

I just peed on a stick and I honestly can't tell if I'm seeing a very faint line or not. Once I have to pee again, I'll use the second test that came in the box, but it's making me a little nutty.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. Take a pic and show us!

• Locked thread