Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
^ Reprise, perhaps? ^
Edit: to the person asking about a variation on a show's theme being played during the show.

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm trying to write a sphere culling algorithm and I'm kind of stumped on the geometry. The problem can roughly be stated as "can any line be drawn from point P to sphere B that also intersects sphere A?"

So basically "figure out if a point lies within the shaded area:"

e:
intersect = Aorigin + (Borigin-Aorigin)*(Aradius/(Aradius+Bradius))
lenAI = len(Aorigin-intersect)
lenRI = sqrt(lenAI^2 - Ar^2)
coneMinimumDistance = lenRI^2/lenAI
cutoffRadius = lenRI*Ar/lenAI
coneRadiusByDistance = cutoffRadius/coneMinimumDistance

Maybe?

Did you ever figure this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
How do you see someone's rap sheet? The "rap sheet" link doesn't appear on any posts for me.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Mister Roboto posted:

How do you see someone's rap sheet? The "rap sheet" link doesn't appear on any posts for me.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=USERID

Replace USERID with their actual userid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

It might just be a Plat thing? it should be right next to "post history" under every post.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 15, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Oh, thanks guys. But...I had it before, and now it's gone. I never had plat, either. That's weird, they must've just randomly taken it away?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There was a greasemonkey script that gave a link to a poster's rap sheet, I used it before the option was added for Plat users. Might that be it?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

YggiDee posted:

There was a greasemonkey script that gave a link to a poster's rap sheet, I used it before the option was added for Plat users. Might that be it?

Well, I can't afford plat, but I'm certainly willing to try that script. May I please have a link?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Is there a way to get rid of ants without killing them? I've seen a few since the beginning of spring and I don't mind shooing them away but now I'm seeing more than one at a time and it's kinda gross. However, they are super cute and have no idea that they're in my work space so I'd rather not murder them with poison. Any ideas?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Very Strange Things posted:

What is it called, musically, when there is a little variation -almost an improvisation- on a song?
Specifically, I'm thinking of a TV show theme, and there's a little riff of it that is barely recognizable as the theme when they change scenes, come back from commercial, or right before a cold opening.

I just heard one from the other room on "Family Guy" as I was writing this; the nine notes or so they usually play right after the opening theme song. They play a little jazzy riff that is basically the musical phrase that goes with "...lucky there's a family guuuuuuuy..." and a picture of the outside of the house right before the scene starts.
Usually it's bumper music, although between scenes it could also be a bridge.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Bay leaves, cloves, lemon.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Is the musical term you're looking for a cue?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
What's the name of the of weird censorship rules on American media in like the thirties or the fifties or whatever? It was similar to the Comics Code, if I'm remembering it correctly.

VVV That's the one. Thank you, pylb.

Eyeball fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 15, 2011

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Eyeball posted:

What's the name of the of weird censorship rules on American media in like the thirties or the fifties or whatever? It was similar to the Comics Code, if I'm remembering it correctly.

The Motion Picture Production Code ?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Rubies posted:

Is there a way to get rid of ants without killing them? I've seen a few since the beginning of spring and I don't mind shooing them away but now I'm seeing more than one at a time and it's kinda gross. However, they are super cute and have no idea that they're in my work space so I'd rather not murder them with poison. Any ideas?

If you know where they are coming in you can draw a barrier with chalk. They won't cross a thick chalk line. It messes with their scent trails, so I believe things like cinnamon work as well.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

What is it called, musically, when there is a little variation -almost an improvisation- on a song?
Specifically, I'm thinking of a TV show theme, and there's a little riff of it that is barely recognizable as the theme when they change scenes, come back from commercial, or right before a cold opening.

I just heard one from the other room on "Family Guy" as I was writing this; the nine notes or so they usually play right after the opening theme song. They play a little jazzy riff that is basically the musical phrase that goes with "...lucky there's a family guuuuuuuy..." and a picture of the outside of the house right before the scene starts.

Riff?

YggiDee posted:

I think I only started seeing it after I installed SA Last Read.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Oh, thanks guys. But...I had it before, and now it's gone. I never had plat, either. That's weird, they must've just randomly taken it away?

That's really weird because I don't have plat and I do have the Rap Sheet link.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

I think you're referring to a theme, which is based off of a series of variations. I'm thinking more of movie soundtracks with this though - a good example being the Requiem for a Dream score where there is the main theme (Lux Aentera) and then several variations of the theme that convey different moods of the plot.

I assume this same things holds true with something like Family Guy's music even though its a half hour show and not a two and a half hour long movie.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I think you're referring to a theme, which is based off of a series of variations. I'm thinking more of movie soundtracks with this though - a good example being the Requiem for a Dream score where there is the main theme (Lux Aentera) and then several variations of the theme that convey different moods of the plot.

I assume this same things holds true with something like Family Guy's music even though its a half hour show and not a two and a half hour long movie.

Thanks guys. You're pretty much all correct, it is a variation on the theme, it is a riff, it's sort of a reprise, and it usually is based in the refrain.

WillieWestwood posted:

Usually it's bumper music, although between scenes it could also be a bridge.
"Bumper music" is a good answer. Wikipedia says that's also sometimes called "rejoinder music".
I guess I was wondering if there was a specific term that encompassed that it was derived from the theme. Oh well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
would there be any good reason for my fingers to smell like pickled onions from time to time, even after I've not had any for months?

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

ibroxmassive posted:

would there be any good reason for my fingers to smell like pickled onions from time to time, even after I've not had any for months?

Some medications can cause you to smell like garlic or onions. What meds are you on?

Also, um, some vaginal infections/STDs can cause an oniony smell coming from the vagina, which, um, might get on your fingers... [trails off uncertainly] Just a suggestion.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
:stare:

maverick bigcock
Jan 2, 2010
My employer doesn't allow us to leave on lunch breaks, and since it's a restaurant we aren't allowed to bring in outside food. Is this legal? Is there anything I can do about it? I work full time and the half hour lunch break is unpaid.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Maverick J. Biceps posted:

My employer doesn't allow us to leave on lunch breaks, and since it's a restaurant we aren't allowed to bring in outside food. Is this legal? Is there anything I can do about it? I work full time and the half hour lunch break is unpaid.

That doesn't sound right to me. If he's keeping you there he needs to pay you, you don't have to be there if not being paid.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

I am pretty sure he can't stop you from leaving when you're not on the clock-- is it a paid lunch break?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Laws regarding those kinds of issues are generally much more strict at the state level. Federally, labor laws are extremely loose about such things.

Federally: (b) Where no permission to leave premises. It is not necessary that an employee be permitted to leave the premises if he is otherwise completely freed from duties during the meal period.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
can somebody tell me whats the best way to go about downloading webpages for offline use?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/s/diseases_and_conditions/a/

i need access to this page and the links in them for when i dont have access to the internet. from A-Z :(

whats the easiest way of doing this?

TIA!

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Federally: (b) Where no permission to leave premises. It is not necessary that an employee be permitted to leave the premises if he is otherwise completely freed from duties during the meal period.

Can someone please translate this?
What is the purpose of otherwise in the sentence?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

nervana posted:

can somebody tell me whats the best way to go about downloading webpages for offline use?

i need access to this page and the links in them for when i dont have access to the internet. from A-Z :(

TIA!

wget is what most people use:

wget -m http://blah.com/bleh/

here's the first gui tool that popped up

http://www.httrack.com/

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
EDIT: :argh:!!!!

nervana posted:

TIA!

Using wget will do this for you. If you're using Windows, you can get wget, too.

http://fosswire.com/post/2008/04/create-a-mirror-of-a-website-with-wget/

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Jam2 posted:

Can someone please translate this?
What is the purpose of otherwise in the sentence?

It means they can require you remain on premises but not require you to sit at your workstation (etc) while on break.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

It means they can require you remain on premises but not require you to sit at your workstation (etc) while on break.
Where does it saying anything about the workstation?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Jam2 posted:

Where does it saying anything about the workstation?

I don't have the cite onhand but it is basically the premise of "otherwise completely freed from duties". Part of your "duties" is to be at your workstation so you would not be "otherwise completely freed from duties" if your were required to remain there.

E: "The employee is not relieved if he is required to perform any duties, whether active or inactive, while eating. "
http://law.justia.com/cfr/title29/29-3.1.1.2.43.3.423.10.html

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 15, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone know of a good, fully functional PDF printer for Windows? Of course I would prefer it to be free (but a trial version would do for now as I only really need it within the next few weeks)

I saw one of my professors print a graph output from JMP into a PDF format, then open it in Canvas and edit the vector elements of the graph all on his Mac. I have OpenOffice.org Draw for vector editing right now (but if push comes to shove I can download a trial version of Canvas because the full version is $900 :gonk:) for editing, but I need to find a virtual printer that exports PDF files and maintains the vector data so I can do this.

Any ideas?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 20, 2011

maverick bigcock
Jan 2, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I don't have the cite onhand but it is basically the premise of "otherwise completely freed from duties". Part of your "duties" is to be at your workstation so you would not be "otherwise completely freed from duties" if your were required to remain there.

E: "The employee is not relieved if he is required to perform any duties, whether active or inactive, while eating. "
http://law.justia.com/cfr/title29/29-3.1.1.2.43.3.423.10.html

I live in Washington state, does that make a difference?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

I live in Washington state, does that make a difference?

Not really:

http://www.lni.wa.gov/WorkplaceRights/Wages/HoursBreaks/Breaks/default.asp

"The business may require workers to stay on the work site during:

* Their paid rest periods.
* Their meal period IF the business pays the worker during that meal period.
* Their meal period without paying them IF the workers are completely relieved from duty for the entire meal period and will never be called back to work during the meal period.

"

As far as not allowing you to bring your own food I'd be surprised if there would be any problem with that because the employer can hide behind excuses like contamination , etc.

We have horrible labor laws in this country. It's pretty much LF unless you have a powerful union behind you.

What you need to do is document *any* time that the violate the third exception (which I am sure they do since that is probably the reason for wanting you to stay on premises) above and when you move on or whenever really you can file a complaint with he DoL and possibly get restitution for every lunch period while you worked there.

I worked at a job long while back where two guys filed a similar complaint and the company had to pay out 7 and 3 years of lunch breaks to the guys. It made those of us left miserable because all of the "you must take your lunch and document blah blah" drama afterward but for the two guys it was a nice check.

IANAL and all that. Don't get snippy and lose your job. It sucks out there right now. :smith:

E: And when I say document I mean record everything; date time, time of break, person who called you back, etc, etc. Food service is wage slavery at its best in this country.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 16, 2011

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Is it possible to get car insurance just for the weekend for a rented car in California?

I know zipcar and enterprise do it, but they are already all booked up. Hertz doesn't offer insurance :(

I am 22 years of age and have a clean driving record.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Enigma89 posted:

Is it possible to get car insurance just for the weekend for a rented car in California?

I know zipcar and enterprise do it, but they are already all booked up. Hertz doesn't offer insurance :(

Do you have insurance on a car at home? Normally your personal insurance will cover you in another vehicle.

Break The Sky
Sep 29, 2008
So a friend of mine in the States is coming to visit me in Canada. Except her passport expired, which we didn't know until after she'd booked her bus ticket.

If she were to go into the passport office on Monday, with all her documentation, proof of travel, and explained the situation, what are the chances that she would have a passport by Thursday? I can't seem to find any conclusive information on this on google, and neither of us can afford the ~$300 it would cost to have it rushed through a third party company :(

edit: As a vaguely related side note, I keep hearing that it's possible to enter Canada with an expired passport and a valid drivers license? I know there might be a hassle on the way back, but is that feasible?

Break The Sky fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 16, 2011

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Break The Sky posted:

So a friend of mine in the States is coming to visit me in Canada. Except her passport expired, which we didn't know until after she'd booked her bus ticket.

If she were to go into the passport office on Monday, with all her documentation, proof of travel, and explained the situation, what are the chances that she would have a passport by Thursday? I can't seem to find any conclusive information on this on google, and neither of us can afford the ~$300 it would cost to have it rushed through a third party company :(

edit: As a vaguely related side note, I keep hearing that it's possible to enter Canada with an expired passport and a valid drivers license? I know there might be a hassle on the way back, but is that feasible?

No chance. It took nearly 4 weeks just to get new pages put in mine and I paid extra for a rush job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Enigma89 posted:

Don't you have to be 25 to rent a car in California?