Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There's not many ways to poo poo up a scene where the Big Bad Wolf tells the Adversary, "You're bigger than us, stronger than us, but if you come into our world we will destroy everything you personally love."

Willingham really hosed that scene up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.
Cut for brevity.

Ugh.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

so... does this mean that Bigby will now start keeping The Adversary's people in conditions of horrible apartheid and run magic bulldozers through their homes?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Lamuella posted:

so... does this mean that Bigby will now start keeping The Adversary's people in conditions of horrible apartheid and run magic bulldozers through their homes?

Fabletown will also be getting billions of dollars from the US every year.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Witters posted:

Cut for brevity.

Ugh.

"We're Israel, and you're Palestine! Oh, and we can hit you anywhere like a terrorist bomber."

"But wouldn't that make you Palestine, and ruin your analogy?"

"I..um...SHUT UP!"

Edit: Oh, thanks for recommending The Unwritten. It's a drat fun series. I even picked up Sweet Tooth because of you awesome people. :unsmith:

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

"We're Israel, and you're Palestine! Oh, and we can hit you anywhere like a terrorist bomber."

"But wouldn't that make you Palestine, and ruin your analogy?"

"I..um...SHUT UP!"

Edit: Oh, thanks for recommending The Unwritten. It's a drat fun series. I even picked up Sweet Tooth because of you awesome people. :unsmith:

Wow.... time to stop buying the Fables hardcovers and spend my money on good books. I'll devote some $ towards Unwritten. Thanks for the heads up all!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Scalped, Unwritten and Sweet Tooth are the best books from Vertigo right now, in that order.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

wildlele posted:

Wow.... time to stop buying the Fables hardcovers and spend my money on good books. I'll devote some $ towards Unwritten. Thanks for the heads up all!

Yeah, Fables took a turn for the worse lately. Jack of Fables started off well and degraded after the Great Fables Crossover. In fact, the Great Fables Crossover in general was so bad it damaged both series.

Jack of Fables ended terribly, and I expect Fables will as well unless the quality improves. And Willingham realizes no one wants to hear his conservative political views.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, Fables took a turn for the worse lately. Jack of Fables started off well and degraded after the Great Fables Crossover. In fact, the Great Fables Crossover in general was so bad it damaged both series.

Jack of Fables ended terribly, and I expect Fables will as well unless the quality improves. And Willingham realizes no one wants to hear his conservative political views.

Willingham needs to learn a lesson that a lot of talented people with very strong views learned the hard way: no piece of art is made in a political vacuum, but you don't have to be aware of that politics to enjoy the work because you damage both the work and your views if not handled with the figleaf of impartiality.

In other words, I like what he does but he needs to keep doing it and leave his politics at home because they're not helping.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Good piece on the Scalped panel at WC -> http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=31768

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I just reread the first trade of Unwritten after getting the new one, did anyone else notice Callendar is in the first issue at the convention, as sort of a bitter author who is jealous of Tom Taylor's popularity? Did I completely miss something about how he became the leader of a shadowy cabal?

Also, Scalped is so goddamn good. Goddamn. It hits all the right badass notes and all the right emotional notes at the same time.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Awesome! posted:

Scalped, Unwritten and Sweet Tooth are the best books from Vertigo right now, in that order.

I agree with that but I'd replace Unwritten with American Vampire and recommend everyone go buy the complete Daytripper trade by Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon. I know vampires are approaching zombie levels of played out and beyond in the cultural zeitgeist but I like Snyder's spin on it and the first arc co-written by Stephen King is great. Plus Rafael Albuquerque's art is stellar.

pouge
Nov 20, 2005

I <3 Cats.
I just read the first TPB of Lucifer and thought it was fantastic. Does it stay as strong as this through the whole run?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

pouge posted:

I just read the first TPB of Lucifer and thought it was fantastic. Does it stay as strong as this through the whole run?

It's been a while since i last read it but i feel pretty confident in saying it only gets better from there.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

pouge posted:

The first TPB of Lucifer is arguably the weakest. You're in for a hell of a read.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

blue.eyed.ash posted:

The first TPB of Lucifer is arguably the weakest. You're in for a hell of a read.

:rimshot:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

blue.eyed.ash posted:

The first TPB of Lucifer is arguably the weakest.

Pretty much. I was't all that impressed by the first tpb but the second was really great.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
Keep in mind as you read the first Lucifer trade that Mike Carey's best work is unwritten at that point in time.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Keep in mind as you read the first Lucifer trade that Mike Carey's best work is unwritten at that point in time.

Punster.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

pouge posted:

I found my affection for the series dipping on the non-Lucifer centric issues, but otherwise it did just keep getting better, with my favorite single issue of the series being the final one.

edit:
poo poo, that needed a pun in it somewhere

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have to imagine someone is shopping Scalped around to AMC and the like. It's too loving good.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I have to imagine someone is shopping Scalped around to AMC and the like. It's too loving good.

Yeah, and people really do love undercover stories. The format of the comic book and it's pacing seems like it's easily translatable to television. I hope it happens and even if it doesn't at least we have the comic.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
Recently, Aaron talked about working on the script for a Scalped pilot, but it wasn't picked up as of yet. He was excited about it, and he was hoping he could have a role similar to Kirkman with The Walking Dead.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Witters posted:

Mike Carey's urban-magician Hellblazer run is probably my 2nd favorite after Delano's; Ennis comes a close 3rd. Even though I prefer the down-and-out, working-class, inner-dialogue Constantine, Carey's stories were very interesting and well-crafted. He does a phenomenal job tying up all the different storylines from his arc into a rather satisfying conclusion. There was a bit of intrigue and suspense that I felt was lost during Azzarello's run.

"Rather satisfying" is putting it mildly.

The end of Carey's run is quite possibly the best way to end the story of John Constantine, to the point where I can't imagine the hypothetical last issue doing any better. The "Don't you loving believe it." scene is just the perfect final note: His friends and family have been hurt, he's deliberately been a bastard to the last few people that respected him, and he walks away with nothing in the world but regrets and a guilty conscience.

Goddammit that's a great issue.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Minor nitpick, but does anyone else think that maybe Aaron is overdoing the part where he has a couple having a conversation where they're thinking the opposite of what they're saying?

It doesn't really bother me that much, but I feel like it takes something away from the first time he used it as a device in the arc about the gambler.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Unwritten's latest Mr Bun (Pauly!) issue was really good but if you tried to use it as a jumping-on point into the series you'd be fuckered.

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just got/read the latest Fables trade, Rose Red. Man this series has really declined, these last two trades haven't even been complete story arcs. I know it's an ongoing series with no definite end but come on. Buckingham's art is still great at least.

That said, Vertigo is the poo poo. I agree that Scalped would make a great TV series.

I feel like a lot of writers pull the same crap with John Constantine that they do with Batman, they feel the need to endlessly recite the same roots of the character bullshit (My parents were killed by a criminal so I must avenge them!/Despite my good intentions I'm damned and will drag down or gently caress over my friends and anyone else close to me!).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

null posted:

I just got/read the latest Fables trade, Rose Red. Man this series has really declined, these last two trades haven't even been complete story arcs. I know it's an ongoing series with no definite end but come on. Buckingham's art is still great at least.

What was wrong with Rose Red?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Minor nitpick, but does anyone else think that maybe Aaron is overdoing the part where he has a couple having a conversation where they're thinking the opposite of what they're saying?

If you are talking about the guy and his sick wife that is one of the best issues of the series. He perfectly nailed a couple that has been married for a long, long time, is still in love and just really, truly, suffering.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

^burtle posted:

If you are talking about the guy and his sick wife that is one of the best issues of the series. He perfectly nailed a couple that has been married for a long, long time, is still in love and just really, truly, suffering.

I think he's referring to when Dash & Carol are talking when he sobers up and she finds out she's pregnant and has the abortion

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
This might belong more in derailed, but since Gaiman is pretty much synonymous with Vertigo in the comics world, I figured it would be okay to put it here too: American Gods is getting adapted for an HBO series.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wouldn't get too excited about that, the same sort of thing has been announced and cancelled like 15 times for Sandman, it's literally a running joke at The Onion's AV club.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wouldn't get too excited about that, the same sort of thing has been announced and cancelled like 15 times for Sandman, it's literally a running joke at The Onion's AV club.

at least with Game of Thrones, HBO has finally demonstrated they're willing to break away from the modern/historical drama thing and try something a bit out there. Though I guess Carnivale was one of those, and that got cancelled 3 seasons early

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery

Kaleidoscope posted:

I think he's referring to when Dash & Carol are talking when he sobers up and she finds out she's pregnant and has the abortion

Yeah, it felt kind of odd since previously their relationship has been a show, don't tell kind of a thing.

Borrego
May 17, 2010

I need pictures!
Pictures of Greaser-Man!
Just finished the 3rd trade of Fables and I am loving every bit of this series. Kinda bummed out that it takes a decline in quality later on. I'm definitely going to be picking up Scalped on all of your recommendations.
Is their a particular or preferred order to reading Fables and Jack of Fables?
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't want to wade through 13 pages.

Witters
Jan 14, 2008

If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Borrego posted:

Is their a particular or preferred order to reading Fables and Jack of Fables?

There's hardly much overlap between the two series until much later when there's a crossover and it will be very obvious when it happens. Just keep reading Fables until Jack leaves, then read both however you want until the obvious crossover when you may want to be up to date on both series.

Borrego
May 17, 2010

I need pictures!
Pictures of Greaser-Man!
Awesome thanks!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
So after seeing it built up so much, I was kind of underwhelmed by Daytripper. To me, Bras is a complete non character. He has no flaws, no failings at all. It becomes comical at the midway point when he is leaving notes all over his house for his wife to find that talk about how much he loves and cherishes their relationship. The entire book is as saccharine as a goddamn hallmark original picture. Part of this I can chalk up to the obituary theme, where maybe we are only seeing the positives, but the end result for me is that I can't feel anything for this character. That in turn starts to make the hook at the end of each issue feel like a gimmick, and eventually it just feels like ham fisted emotional manipulation.

I understand in terms of story and characterization the book is going for subtle, but it doesn't feel subtle, it feels unstated. The art is lovely though, and I think that is the only reason I saw it through. If this was a movie or a straight novel I wouldn't have finished it. Maybe that is a little harsh, because there were some pretty neat things in it, but I think, for me, it's a case where the whole isn't as good as the sum of the parts.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Daytripper is the rare comic that does not read better collected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
American Vampire Survival of the fittest #1 was absolutely fantastic. Sean Gordon Murphy and Scott Snyder are an amazing creative team. It was a pretty dense issue even though there wasn't much action, a lot of details were dropped in conversation that will definitely be important later.

Murphy did a great job of making the issue a joy to look at with lush backgrounds that really added to the mood. I appreciated that Snyder wrote this issue a bit different from other AmVamp issues, he integrated the information new readers would need to be caught up really well.

Man, it was just a really good comic, I really like Cashel.

• Locked thread