Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I just finished making my first white model today, I didn't expect it to be such a relaxing, entertaining activity. I almost want to show you guys out of pride but I'm afraid I'd get booed. I also want to make more more more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
My 10 minuter ('If You Are') is NOT opening this week. The festival was canceled, via facebook.

This was by the roommate of the person who was originally going to run 'Apocrypha' this semester. I think looking back at my posts in this thread would be very sad now, and very funny in five or so years.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
drat dude, you should probably just move to Chicago already and get it over with. We'll produce your poo poo, I promise.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Moving away from the hometown is in the cards. If I get an offer from [CHICAGO'S HUGEST WEB STARTUP], I won't hesitate to come out west.

Edit: Offer is not gonna happen, but they told me really quickly, so that's life.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 30, 2011

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I swear by this time next year half the people in this town will work for Groupon.

fritopi
Feb 16, 2007
YUM YUM SO GOOD
Ha, two of the improv groups I was involved with disbanded this year because more than half of each troupe got a job at Groupon. That company is growing like mad.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Update with "Macbeth" --

We're in out last few rehearsals and we open next Wednesday. Despite this fact, our Ross and our Duncan keep forgetting their lines, and as a director I've had to refrain from freaking out and getting rid of them. But since recasting would be misery, and so would cutting the characters to make the production still work, I've decided to keep them on.

With Ross, I've decided just to drastically cut his lines to the point that he never really has more than four sentences in any given line.

It's frustrating, but I suppose this is what comes from working with non-professional actors. Next time I hope to set aside a budget to pay people, because in Austin (just like anywhere) there are tons of free actors, but only so many of them are worthwhile.

Here are some promo-photos we've taken!:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
So, I just ended my first play recently, and I enjoyed it enormously. Unfortunately, since I'm still looking for a job, and I'm a student as well, free time and experience are not things that I have, so it's not like I can just do another play. What do you guys do to cure your post-show blues?

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Go see more theatre while you wait for another show to happen. Or just drink, I guess.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

OSheaman posted:

drink

This is traditional. My advice would be to read plays, just for the fun of it. Don't worry about looking for audition pieces or anything, just read to enjoy (and photocopy great audition pieces when you find them). OSheaman's advice to go to more shows is also wise and if you find a company who's work you really like, start networking with them.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
By "networking with them" he means "sleeping with one of their company members"

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

OSheaman posted:

That's the holy grail right there (choose wisely).

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

OSheaman posted:

Or just drink, I guess.

OSheaman posted:

Done and done.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Deliciousness is not a Burger Crime.
Inventing Van Gogh opened last Friday. I should have some pictures ready to show off in 2 weeks or so.

Random question I have been thinking about : What is everyone's opinion on Thorton Wilder's works? Our Town is the first show I ever worked on and it really turned me off of reading anything else of his because it was just so dry. But earlier this year I was designing The Skin of Our Teeth and I loved it. So does anyone else have the same feeling towards Wilder or is there another playwright that you were not a fan of at first, but later found enjoyable?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Charles Mee I don't particularly like. His dialogue is so on-point that it's bland, and his stage directions are film directions ("the stage bursts into flames, but if that's not possible, try something else"). He calls for songs that don't come with the plays. His popularity is a mystery to me.

Forget Forgive
Aug 13, 2007

Question for Playwrights adapting other author's works for the stage:

What's the process of negotiating the rights for using the original story as basis? I'm adapting some short stories by Raymond Carver and I'm completely unfamiliar with who to talk to and what the process might be to put these performances up legally.

I'd like to do a collection of short play performances of material adapted from Carver, and I'd also like to gain some legitimacy by doing the proper legal work.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/playwriting/62178/2

This is the first result Google gave me, It looks like you should contact the publisher of the works you want to adapt and go from there, if that site is accurate.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Burger Crime posted:

Random question I have been thinking about : What is everyone's opinion on Thorton Wilder's works? Our Town is the first show I ever worked on and it really turned me off of reading anything else of his because it was just so dry. But earlier this year I was designing The Skin of Our Teeth and I loved it. So does anyone else have the same feeling towards Wilder or is there another playwright that you were not a fan of at first, but later found enjoyable?

I've been in one production of Pullman Car Hiawatha and seen one production of Our Town, so I'm no expert. That said, I think he's been High Schooled to death, sort of like Agatha Christie's The Mouse Trap or Diary of Anne Frank.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Just found out I'll be playing Oscar in The Odd Couple this summer for our community theater group. I'm really looking forward to it, but the whole point of my friend and I suggesting this show be done was because we wanted a money maker (we need one pretty badly) and we wanted to play the titular characters together. Well, I got the role I wanted but the director picked someone other than my pal for Felix. The guy will do a great job, but it's just not what we had in mind.

Ah well. The cast is almost all friends of mine (including Felix), so we'll have a blast.

For the record, the guy cast as Felix has honest-to-God-Aspberger's and will do an amazing job. A guy who can't relate to people other than when he's acting like them playing the world's biggest fussbudget will be great. My friend and I have just not had a chance to play off of each other in a full-on production though, so we were looking forward to it.

Anyway, it turns out I'll be in Chicago Monday-Thursday next week and I'm wondering if any of you Chicago goons have any productions going on that would be cheap entertainment for my brother-in-law and I. I'm unemployed, so auditioning for The X-Factor seems like a good idea (I have no illusions about getting through or doing well since I'm a 33 year old, overweight married man who hates most pop music, but I don't have anything to lose). I don't know how much time the auditions will eat up and we're both broke as hell, so we don't have much in the way of cash but I'd like to support some of you folks while I'm out there if I can. I know I'm not a pro, but you've all been supportive and helpful in here and I'd like to give back a little.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm doing a staged reading of a heavy goddamned piece on Monday (just reading stage directions though), an amazingly well-written piece about autism. I'd try to get you to the all-female Romeo & Juliet my girlfriend's theatre company has up now but if you're leaving Thursday, that won't work.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Hey, maybe I'll get a call-back and have to stay an extra day or two. That Romeo & Juliet sounds awesome.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Geekboy posted:

Hey, maybe I'll get a call-back and have to stay an extra day or two. That Romeo & Juliet sounds awesome.

It's a hell of a production and the fights are incredible, though that's what the Babes With Blades do. There are some amazing performances and some staging choices that make me want to slap the director. All-in-all it's the best production of the show I've seen.

Where are you staying? It would be cool to actually get to meet you after all these internet years.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
. . . Chicago Theatre Goonmeet part 2?

And rantmo where is this staged reading taking place

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

OSheaman posted:

. . . Chicago Theatre Goonmeet part 2?

Hell yeah!

OSheaman posted:

And rantmo where is this staged reading taking place

It's at the Stop Smiling studio, 1371 N. Milwaukee at 8 pm. It's part of the Inchworm Playreading festival.

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Man, I should just move to Chicago. You guys have great stuff going on, I would love to see that production of R+J. Are you all doing theatre full time in Chicago?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Burger Crime posted:

Man, I should just move to Chicago. You guys have great stuff going on, I would love to see that production of R+J. Are you all doing theatre full time in Chicago?

Not full-time, but pretty consistently. Most of us work at the storefront level, which operates on the assumption that everyone involved has a day job of some sort. I know a number of people who are able to work exclusively in the arts, usually by doing children's theatre and teaching and then doing other random things like Standardized Patient programs at medical schools (OSheaman, did you email Rick?). Not a ton of shows pay much, if at all, since everyone is broke but the quality of work is very high. We do have plenty of Equity houses and that's another world entirely, but not one that can't be accessed.

Chicago really is the best place to do theatre so far as I can tell. The community is great, the shows are the best in the world, the theatre goons are attractive and prone to drinking.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Yeah I e-mailed Rick, no word from him. I have an interview with a hair salon tomorrow for a front desk gig and I'm going to study for my personal trainer certification . . . we'll see how that goes.

And I'm coming to that staged reading. It's free, right? Free rules.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

OSheaman posted:

And I'm coming to that staged reading. It's free, right? Free rules.

I see absolutely nothing to indicate that it's not free.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.
Taking away from ChicagoChat for a second (not that it's not interesting, but there's a Pacific Ocean between us) -

I received an email a week or so ago from the people who'd commissioned me to write a first draft based on an outline I sent to them last year as part of a competition they were running. They liked my first draft, it seems - at least, enough to commission three more drafts of it. I'm just waiting for them to lock down a script advisor for me and then we're out of the gates. Which is awesome.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What's your script about? Also, what's it like in Hawaii?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I'll be staying at the Super 8 in Elgin because it's less than 4 miles from the audition spot and is cheeeeeap. PM me if you can or something and we'll work something out, rantmo.

That's awesome, Pigeon Shamus. Live the dream!

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Is the play *about* Hawaii? Can I play the white imperialist aggressor?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

OSheaman posted:

loving Method actors.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Golden Bee posted:

What's your script about?

It's a conspiracy thriller set in a high school - three rugby teammates show up dead on the same night and a student journalist recently expelled from his old school starts investigating, only to find things may not be what they seem at his new school.

The people commissioning it are a fairly prominent youth development group where I am, so if the drafts all go well (and I'm the first to admit there's a lot that needs to be tightened and worked on) then it could potentially be performed next year as part of their big festival for 15-25 year old performers to cut their teeth. And in the meantime, I'm getting paid, so it's all good. :D

quote:

Also, what's it like in Hawaii?

New Zealand, bruv. Wellington is to NZ what Chicago is to the US.

OSheaman posted:

You can be a sheep.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Hardly a stretch for him.

I'd love to take a look at it if you have a draft; my email's in this thread every other page.

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

I'd love to take a look at it if you have a draft; my email's in this thread every other page.

I'll check the contract, see if I'm allowed (oooooooooooooo :v:) but if I can, I'll shoot you the first draft soonish.

Quake Williams
Feb 1, 2010
I was in my college's production of Julius Caesar that we finished up last week. I played Popilius/Lucilius (due to the fact that we didn't have nearly enough people, the new characters from Acts 4 and 5 of the play were combined with their rough counterparts from the first three acts). It was a "modern re-imagining" type deal but I think it was pretty good. Here are some pictures of the set:

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Nice pictures! Makes me want to do some Shakespeare really badly . . .

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I know a lot of you guys are Chicagoons. The Neo-futurists/Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind is holding auditions.

Send an e-mail to: neoauditions @ gmail dot com

They will send you back an e-mail with info about signing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Here are some shots from Inventing Van Gogh.
I think my lighting design turned out pretty well considering I was only contacted 3 weeks before the show opened.

• Locked thread