Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Lee Van Queef posted:

It's a dystopian future, which basically means Detroit today plus crazy guns.

Dystopian? That space colony looks pretty... topian, to me. I'd love to live there I just imagine all the cars already have lojack and it'd be hard to rob a bank when the currency are all intangible cyber space-credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Looks like it's from Gundam so there's an off chance it'd be blown up by terrorists or as an act of war between Earth and spacenoids.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma

davebo posted:

Dystopian? That space colony looks pretty... topian, to me. I'd love to live there I just imagine all the cars already have lojack and it'd be hard to rob a bank when the currency are all intangible cyber space-credits.

You were pointing at the GTA2 screenshot so I assumed you were referring to that.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Rockstar Games are the weekend deal (different deal each day) so these guys are sure to be available on sale tomorrow or Sunday.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What if instead of one main character the game has two? A couple of friends-since-birth type of guys (or maybe a gay couple) who get into some serious trouble and have to get themselves out of it GTA style. Both characters on the screen, could choose between them with a button or always have it so that dude#2 is only controlled by the AI or second player. Would be perfect for co-op as one of the previous negatives about implementing a second player would be cutscene inconsistencies but if they are in the story from the start it would nix that issue. There could be missions where you are separated from each other initially and then have to each do a little mini mission before meeting up to take on the main one. And the second player could be kidnapped requiring the first to rescue them before chaos can continue. So much potential for two player entertainment.

As for location I don't really mind too much as long as the time period is between 1995-present if only for a broader music choice than just another 70's or 80's soundtrack.

edit: Actually, setting the game 3-5 years into the future would allow all sort of cool little additional technologies and developments that wouldn't seem too far-fetched given the short timespan between now and then: phone implants, mandatory facebook access and update schedule, the first public trials of hovercars (that end up being tremendously unreliable). The timeframe would allow for current music and maybe chuck a ton of unsigned/up-and-coming bands on there so that these songs might become hits solely by their exposure in GTA, putting them on real radio at the time they are meant to be famous in-game. So now I won't settle for anything less than an inherently two-player game starring a gay couple set a few years into the future that is able to correctly predict future trends in music. Come on Rockstar!

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 16, 2011

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
GTA: Shadowrun

or

GTA: Syndicate Wars

edit:

Soundtrack by Caspa, Rusko, Skream.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
I just hope the next iteration does away with internet cafes and just lets you do internet stuff on your phone. That's been commonplace in real life since before GTA4 so I really don't understand why it's not in there already. It's annoying to have to drive to a specific place just to check your email and it makes the car collection jobs a lot more tedious than they could be. I also want to be able to use the phone to play music while on foot; it would make big firefights a lot more awesome.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lee Van Queef posted:

I just hope the next iteration does away with internet cafes and just lets you do internet stuff on your phone. That's been commonplace in real life since before GTA4 so I really don't understand why it's not in there already. It's annoying to have to drive to a specific place just to check your email and it makes the car collection jobs a lot more tedious than they could be. I also want to be able to use the phone to play music while on foot; it would make big firefights a lot more awesome.

You just reminded me of something I've always wanted (mostly PC wise, but It'd work on consoles too), the PC to have a personal music player of some sort.

Portable CD player, FM radio, whatever...I want to be able to listen to the soundtrack outside of a car. Hell, you could even work gameplay mechanics into it! If my PC is listening to his iPod (or whatever), make it so he's less aware of what's going on around him. Lower enemy recognition on the minimap, reduced "action" sound. I'd go for it.

Also, GTA with a female protagonist. I'm serious.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

Snuffman posted:

You just reminded me of something I've always wanted (mostly PC wise, but It'd work on consoles too), the PC to have a personal music player of some sort.

Also, GTA with a female protagonist. I'm serious.

Yes to both of these. One of my favorite parts of simple native trainer in GTA4 is the on-foot radio.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How about a female protagonist? We've had plenty of males.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
Personally I'd like to see more M/M romances in my GTA.

Bobi Nasos
Nov 6, 2006

01 - fuck your'e couch - rick james (funny).mp3
Why no mention of Agent? It's already been announced that Rockstar North is working on a 1970s-era espionage game (which I am really looking forward to hearing more about). Why is everyone assuming that a new GTA is coming down the road?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Bobi Nasos posted:

Why no mention of Agent? It's already been announced that Rockstar North is working on a 1970s-era espionage game (which I am really looking forward to hearing more about). Why is everyone assuming that a new GTA is coming down the road?

Assuming? Because every sign indicates there will be an announcement before E3 and released sometimes next year.

Bobi Nasos
Nov 6, 2006

Himuro posted:

Assuming? Because every sign indicates there will be an announcement before E3 and released sometimes next year.

"Every sign" being a bunch of unfounded rumors, mentions from random celebrities and fake screenshots when Rockstar North has OFFICIALLY announced a different, really cool sounding game?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Well, it's the GTA thread, not the Agent thread. I don't know what to say man, other than LA Noire and Agent both look cool as hell.

Bobi Nasos
Nov 6, 2006

I guess it's possible they're working on two games at once, but I'm really hoping "Agent" isn't just some temporary name meant to throw people off the scent of a new GTA game. I love GTA but a Cold War spy thriller by Rockstar North just sounds too cool to throw away.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I'm probably one of the very few people that loved the hell out of GTA IV, but I never got around to playing GTA SA (it's in my library now though) so I could be looking through different glasses at IV. My only qualms with it were the close-combat controls (ugh, the cocaine retrieval at the old hospital mission) which I can kind of forgive due to the new physics engine and the other knock being the empty vastness of Liberty City. I loved the overall design and look of it, but it just wasn't filled with enough content/fuckaroundery in accordance to its sheer size. It could have been condensed a bit; the third island was largely useless in its missions with all of that boring rear end industrial property.

III was awesome in its day but holds up very poorly now. I just replayed it on Steam and it controls like a piss-poor NES platformer in comparison to VC. VC was just a totally new fresh breath of air, I loved everything about it and 100%'d it twice. It just had a ton of character and charm, plus you can never go wrong with anything 80's-themed. LOOOOVEFIIIIIST!

Whatever they come out with next, I'll pre-order instantly and play the hell out of. Rockstar has been knocking it out of the park so consistently lately; their titles are among the few that I buy every year. RDR quickly made my Top 5 All-Time. I hope they have something new waiting in the wings. I'll undoubtedly love L.A. Noire, but I don't think it's going to be anything like GTA.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really hope RDR comes to the PC Eventually, if not ill just do what I planned anyway; to get a 360/ps3 when the next generation arrived to play games I missed due them not being on the PC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's with Rockstar and making games be PS3 exclusive?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cojawfee posted:

It's a carry-over from making games PS2 exclusive? Don't worry, there's rarely been a case where Rockstar stood by their Sony exclusivity deal if the game sold enough copies. Give it a year tops and we'll see the game for 360 and/or PC.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least they came to their senses with LA Noire and made it for 360 as well. Hopefully Rockstar figures out soon that exclusivity only hurts their sales.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lee Van Queef posted:

I also want to be able to use the phone to play music while on foot; it would make big firefights a lot more awesome.

In early previews of GTAIV this actually was a feature but it got cut. I think it's because of music licensing issues, much like that one phone number you can call to find out the song and artist of whatever's on the radio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they get rid of that or something?

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cojawfee posted:

At least they came to their senses with LA Noire and made it for 360 as well. Hopefully Rockstar figures out soon that exclusivity only hurts their sales.

That was more Sony dumping LA Noire because they thought it wasn't going to be worth financing then "came to their senses".

The rumor about Agent though is that it was Rockstar giving Sony a favor back after taking that 30 Million Dollar DLC exclusive deal by Microsoft. Of course, that ended up hurting Rockstar extremely bad, so I bet they regret both deals now.

Methodis fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 16, 2011

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

They never have. They did buy a PS3 exclusive, then make it available for the 360 with LA Noir, but it wasn't developed in house, at least not originally.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Bobi Nasos posted:

I guess it's possible they're working on two games at once, but I'm really hoping "Agent" isn't just some temporary name meant to throw people off the scent of a new GTA game. I love GTA but a Cold War spy thriller by Rockstar North just sounds too cool to throw away.

Not sure if you know, but Rockstar has more than a few studios. See http://jobs.rockstargames.com/ . For example, the first LA Noire trailer came out before GTA 4 was released and that and RDR have come out since then, not to mention the handheld stuff. There's more than enough resources to work on 2 or 3 big games at once.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I think the big mysterious thing with RockStar is actually RockStar New England, which Rockstar bought right after the Bully remake on 360 and Wii came out. No word has been said of what they've been doing since then other than cleanup work on what some of the other teams have done (Red Dead Redemption, GTA4 PC)

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

mutata posted:

Not sure if you know, but Rockstar has more than a few studios. See http://jobs.rockstargames.com/ . For example, the first LA Noire trailer came out before GTA 4 was released and that and RDR have come out since then, not to mention the handheld stuff. There's more than enough resources to work on 2 or 3 big games at once.

A ton of studios but Rockstar North (which is working on Agent) is the one that handles all the GTA games. The only other games they have published are Manhunt and Red Dead Redemption and the bulk of RDR was done at Rockstar San Diego.

They are certainly capable of announcing a new GTA even with Agent still in the works but it is unlikely they come out in the same year.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I've always said that a New Orleans-based city would be a perfect locale for a GTA game. The distinct architecture would help visually separate it from previous titles, and the writers could have a field day satirizing the culture. If they really wanted to get ambitious, stretch it out to include Texas and the Mexican border, like RDR. So in addition to gang wars and corrupt cops, you'd have cartel involvement, drug smuggling, and coyote missions. San Andreas did a good job of integrating three distinct cities, I think they could do it again even better.

I'm actually kinda surprised Rockstar hasn't even tried to reimagine the urban areas of the deep south already.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Doppelganger posted:

I've always said that a New Orleans-based city would be a perfect locale for a GTA game. The distinct architecture would help visually separate it from previous titles, and the writers could have a field day satirizing the culture. If they really wanted to get ambitious, stretch it out to include Texas and the Mexican border, like RDR. So in addition to gang wars and corrupt cops, you'd have cartel involvement, drug smuggling, and coyote missions. San Andreas did a good job of integrating three distinct cities, I think they could do it again even better.

I'm actually kinda surprised Rockstar hasn't even tried to reimagine the urban areas of the deep south already.

The problem with places like New Orleans is that they're really not all that iconic. As a foreigner I could instantly recognise a photo of New York, L.A or Miami, but the other settings people have been suggesting like Texas or Chicago just wouldn't have the same familiarty about them which is part of the appeal of the GTA games, for me at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You would only be able to tell if it was New York or LA if you saw a famous landmark. Nothing really makes one city different from another one aside from landmarks or unique features.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Law posted:

The problem with places like New Orleans is that they're really not all that iconic. As a foreigner I could instantly recognise a photo of New York, L.A or Miami, but the other settings people have been suggesting like Texas or Chicago just wouldn't have the same familiarty about them which is part of the appeal of the GTA games, for me at least.
You ought to take a trip sometime man. I live on the outskirts now, and have had several friends from back home come to visit. One thing they all mentioned was how distinct the city looks. This obviously doesn't apply to every inch of the place, but if you played tourist for a few days I think it would stand out in your mind, at least as far as American cities go. Personally, I think New Orleans is best viewed from the ground, not the sky.

Bourbon Street is probably one of the most iconic locations in the country.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Doppelganger posted:

You ought to take a trip sometime man. I live on the outskirts now, and have had several friends from back home come to visit. One thing they all mentioned was how distinct the city looks. This obviously doesn't apply to every inch of the place, but if you played tourist for a few days I think it would stand out in your mind, at least as far as American cities go. Personally, I think New Orleans is best viewed from the ground, not the sky.

Bourbon Street is probably one of the most iconic locations in the country.

Yeah, I went to New Orleans for a weekend years ago but I can still picture it clearly in my mind. It's a great, great city.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

GTA I, II, III, VC and SA are on sale today for a grand total of $7.49 on Steam.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

You would only be able to tell if it was New York or LA if you saw a famous landmark.
That's not true. I know Chicago and New York well enough that I could mostly tell which city it is from a random photo. There are little things about architecture, signs, roads that you get to know pretty well if you live in a place for a bit. For example, there are a few generic parts of Broker in GTA IV that just feel like Brooklyn to me.

Manhattan and LA in particular are cities that are very overrepresented in popular media. I have no doubt that someone who's never been to New York could pick up some of the subtle cues from watching Law & Order.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's not true. I know Chicago and New York well enough that I could mostly tell which city it is from a random photo. There are little things about architecture, signs, roads that you get to know pretty well if you live in a place for a bit. For example, there are a few generic parts of Broker in GTA IV that just feel like Brooklyn to me.

Manhattan and LA in particular are cities that are very overrepresented in popular media. I have no doubt that someone who's never been to New York could pick up some of the subtle cues from watching Law & Order.

First off, anyone who knows anywhere well enough can tell whatever city it is from a random photo. Amazing.

Secondly it's funny that you think popular media uses actual cities to represent cities. They will film anywhere the tax break is highest and worry about making it look like their target city later.

New Orleans is a fantastic idea. I hope we get a sandbox game there soon.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've been looking into replaying GTA3, VC and SA and was considering getting some mods but all I found was funky and terrible lovely makeshift mods that I don't want. I was wondering if there are any "essential" mods for any of those three games?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Secondly it's funny that you think popular media uses actual cities to represent cities. They will film anywhere the tax break is highest and worry about making it look like their target city later.

It's amazing how many shows and sometimes movies that are supposedly set in New York just film on the streets of LA because it's closer.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

mutata posted:

It's amazing how many shows and sometimes movies that are supposedly set in New York just film on the streets of LA because it's closer.

I've been watching Ugly Betty and the setting of the show is NYC and you wouldn't believe this by watching the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

First off, anyone who knows anywhere well enough can tell whatever city it is from a random photo. Amazing.
I'm not saying it's amazing. I'm saying that there is more character and nuance to certain locations than just well-known landmarks.

• Locked thread