Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Mix posted:

I just landed my first EE position at a local power company! The position is titled "Engineer in Training." I basically get to bounce around for 18 months and learn what the different engineers do.

All I can say to anyone on the job hunt is keep at it! Practice interviewing and keep confident.

Congrats! I'd love to go into power someday. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

fatlightning posted:

I have two questions;

I was just offered an internship by the office people, but now I need to talk to HR and talk about the wage and everything else. How do you negotiate for a higher starting wage then they initially offer? They will offfer 18/h but I know I could get 22 or so an hour elsewhere. I don't want to sound greedy but I need to pay for school with the money I make in the summer.

My second question is how will an environmental internship look on my resume as a mechanical student? I could probably hold out and work somewhere else more mechanical minded, but I like this company and all the hours they are offering(60+/week).

If you need the money for school try to negotiate for some kind of school aid if the internship works out well or something. Its iffy but it might work out better than asking for more money.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

movax posted:

If you're willing to not do logic design, lots of contracts abound for guys to do simple, integrated embedded systems based around Atmel or Microchip hardware. I generally use these contracts to fund my booze habit.

This sounds really cool to me. Can you give any more info? How do you find these contracts? How involved are the designs? Do you have to physically be present to have a shot at them?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

This sounds really cool to me. Can you give any more info? How do you find these contracts? How involved are the designs? Do you have to physically be present to have a shot at them?

I did one (and only one) off Adafruit's job board, which turned out to be much longer than I expected. Most of the ones I've worked on have been local (off Craigslist/from grad students). I.e. labs needing some stupid simple tester/monitor type system.

I literally dig into my projects directory and pull out the same exact basic layout of a PIC24 + PSU and do some custom breakout work, get PCB made, and profit. It helps them out (don't have to deal with this stuff which is pretty steep learning curve from 0 experience) and I get some money in my pocket, and it's basic stuff I can do at home after work.

Downside is, some days I come home from work...and the last thing I want to do is more EE stuff. But cash + getting blacklisted from more work is plenty of motivation to slog through it.

Maybe try looking around and finding things a little a MCU would be good at automating/making easier, and offer to design it/build it. Once you have the basics of a micro down and learn the little quirks (how much bypassing you need, what regulator seems to work, etc), it gets a lot faster. I like using a little Semtech regulator in my design, which is a switching supply, and I used the first few projects to get its PCB layout just right (minimizing inductance in its current sense loop, etc).

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I work with a guy that didn't go to college and has no degrees of any kind yet he calls himself an engineer on his biz card and in his email sig. This is a manufacturing company I work for and he's nothing more than a machine tech. Is that lame or is that how things go these days?

I did go to college but not for engineering and I think it's a crock that he's allowed to do that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 10, 2023

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Thoguh posted:

In some countries the word "engineer" is protected the same way a lawyer or medical doctor is in the United States. In the US, with the exception of PE licenses, anybody can use the word in their title. I assume that is why a lot of contracts will require that a certain (very high) percentage of the engineers working on the project have engineering degrees from ABET accredited schools, and most job listings require you to have a degree in "Engineering or a related field" (i.e. Math, Physics, or possibly Chemistry).

I think it should be that way here in the US. If you're not an engineer, you shouldn't call yourself one. There's nothing wrong with being an experienced technician but engineers put a lot of time and effort into achieving that title and it should be respected.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Would you like to pay a few thousand dollars a year for the privilege?

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

wav3form posted:

I work with a guy that didn't go to college and has no degrees of any kind yet he calls himself an engineer on his biz card and in his email sig. This is a manufacturing company I work for and he's nothing more than a machine tech. Is that lame or is that how things go these days?

I did go to college but not for engineering and I think it's a crock that he's allowed to do that.

If you work at a company where anyone can call themselves an engineer, put your degree and any engineering certifications after your name.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

wav3form posted:

I think it should be that way here in the US. If you're not an engineer, you shouldn't call yourself one. There's nothing wrong with being an experienced technician but engineers put a lot of time and effort into achieving that title and it should be respected.

Ive met a lot of "engineers" with a poor grasp of the principles of whatever they are designing and a lot of "technicians" who could put in a minimum amount of effort and get their PE. Mainly the time and money involved mean its just not worth it. Most of my class didnt bother with the EIT and of those that did I think maybe two are actually trying to get their PE simply because $90k is about the minimum we can get out of school. Just because you dont have your PE it doesnt mean you arent an engineer.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I think he is referring to anyone who has passed the FE and completed an ABET program as an engineer, not just those with P.E.s. So far out of approximated 40 degree holding engineers that i have met and talked to or worked with for some times, the only ones with P.E. and BSMEs are my college professors.

While I have a lot of respect for 20 years of manufacturing experience, as well as two year eng tech and baccalaureate programs, engineering school is such a bitch that I plan on distinguishing myself by putting my name, title and degree. The no degree "engineer" is especially common in manufacturing and boy don't tell them they aren't engineers unless you want to bear the angst of that chip on their shoulder. This is also true of machinists with at least 6 days of experience.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
School wasnt that hard and if someone wants to call themselves an engineer who cares? There is no definition that says you had to go to school to be one. If they can do their job and have a solid grasp of engineering fundamentals they are an engineer. I know what you are talking about but theres no reason to be pretentious about graduating from college, especially when you will have to work with the techs and those techs might have some good pointers for you.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

lightpole posted:

School wasnt that hard and if someone wants to call themselves an engineer who cares? There is no definition that says you had to go to school to be one. If they can do their job and have a solid grasp of engineering fundamentals they are an engineer.

In many countries and jurisdictions this just isn't true. They simply aren't engineers. In fact, in some places, graduating from an engineering program doesn't mean you can call yourself an engineer. In Canada, only registered professional engineers may take part in things that are legally defined as the practice of engineering. Only those people may use the title Engineer.

In a lot of disciplines it's also true that many technicians and other similar technical people will have gigantic blindspots in their knowledge that they aren't aware of. This can be dangerous as hell. It happens to engineers as well, but not generally to the same extent.

quote:

I know what you are talking about but theres no reason to be pretentious about graduating from college, especially when you will have to work with the techs and those techs might have some good pointers for you.

You certainly shouldn't come out of university thinking you know more than experienced technicians, surveyors, drafters or other similar people. You should also always be willing to learn from people with experience. However, you can't let people get away with the whole "Look kid, I've been doing this for twenty years" thing. Lots of people do things in ways that don't hold up to codes or safety requirements, but it doesn't necessarily break so they do it for years the wrong way. If you're the engineer it's still your responsibility to prove to at least yourself that whatever is happening is actually right. Take advice, listen to the ways people do things, but always always confirm.

Of course, all the above holds for dealing with Engineers as well. Really, listen to everyone and then decide things on your own. Never trust anyone, or anything and always have a crippling fear that things could go to poo poo. That's how to be sure you're always a safe engineer.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

SubCrid TC posted:

In a lot of disciplines it's also true that many technicians and other similar technical people will have gigantic blindspots in their knowledge that they aren't aware of. This can be dangerous as hell. It happens to engineers as well, but not generally to the same extent.

Im not denying this but thats where this comes in:

SubCrid TC posted:

Of course, all the above holds for dealing with Engineers as well. Really, listen to everyone and then decide things on your own. Never trust anyone, or anything and always have a crippling fear that things could go to poo poo. That's how to be sure you're always a safe engineer.

In the US at least there are plenty of jobs and unions that use engineer without a PE.

Since graduation I have worked on board ships and in power plants as a licensed officer and as a supervisor and when I first got out I was usually one of the youngest around. Sometimes you need to use a little tact instead of saying Im an engineer and you are not. In the US the field is extremely broad with so many different aspects and licenses that dont involve a PE but still involve being an engineer (government definition) that a simple classification doesnt work.

RedReverend
Feb 15, 2003

I'm beginning my junior year of EE and had a question. Everybody talks about Engineering students having a huge course load and not having really any time for anything else and it's true. I'm at the end of my calculus series and physics and am finishing up statics/dynamics. I'm about to begin taking EE specific classes. Does it get a little easier at this point? I can't imagine it being much worse than what I've already been through.

Also, I found out that with one extra 400 level math class I can minor in mathematics. I don't see why this would be a bad idea but I'm curious how much it would strengthen my resume. Are there any engineers that have chosen a math minor and had any direct results because of it?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RedReverend
Feb 15, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, it gets better once you are done with all the weed-outs. Also the time you do spend is much more bearable since you are working on the major specific stuff that you want to work on rather than all the basics.

Secondly, you had to take dynamics as an EE?

Well thats a relief. I am pretty excited to actually get into some degree specific classes.

I think every engineering major needs dynamics. Hell, it was required for my father when he got his degree 40+ years ago.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

lightpole posted:

In the US at least there are plenty of jobs and unions that use engineer without a PE.

Since graduation I have worked on board ships and in power plants as a licensed officer and as a supervisor and when I first got out I was usually one of the youngest around. Sometimes you need to use a little tact instead of saying Im an engineer and you are not. In the US the field is extremely broad with so many different aspects and licenses that dont involve a PE but still involve being an engineer (government definition) that a simple classification doesnt work.

It is called industrial exemption. A pretty good article about the history and pros/cons:

http://www.nspe.org/resources/pdfs/blog/industry_exemptions-neil_norman.pdf

Brendas Baby Daddy
Mar 11, 2009

RedReverend posted:

Well thats a relief. I am pretty excited to actually get into some degree specific classes.

I think every engineering major needs dynamics. Hell, it was required for my father when he got his degree 40+ years ago.

I'm a EE and I took neither dynamics nor statics.

My EE classes were 10 times harder and 5 times the work of my calc and physics classes.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

RedReverend posted:

I'm beginning my junior year of EE and had a question. Everybody talks about Engineering students having a huge course load and not having really any time for anything else and it's true. I'm at the end of my calculus series and physics and am finishing up statics/dynamics. I'm about to begin taking EE specific classes. Does it get a little easier at this point? I can't imagine it being much worse than what I've already been through.

Also, I found out that with one extra 400 level math class I can minor in mathematics. I don't see why this would be a bad idea but I'm curious how much it would strengthen my resume. Are there any engineers that have chosen a math minor and had any direct results because of it?

It might look good on your resume or something to have a math minor, but it's pretty negligible. Linear algebra is pretty useful for EEs, so I'd recommend that one if you haven't already done so.

Also, the course load (at least for me) did not get any easier or less until my senior year. In fact, junior year was the most intense. The work involved in classes like Electromagnetic Fields, Signals & Systems, etc. Was quite a bit. You'll probably become pretty good friends with your other EE buddies around this time because you'll be together from 8am to 10pm everyday. Work hard, but don't forget to take it easy and crack a beer or two while you're doing homework. A little beer never hurt anyone's homework!

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

Brendas Baby Daddy posted:

I'm a EE and I took neither dynamics nor statics.

My EE classes were 10 times harder and 5 times the work of my calc and physics classes.

I think it largely depends on the school. All engineering majors at my school have to take Statics, Mechanics of Materials, Thermodynamics, and Fluid Mechanics as part of the general engineering curriculum.

However, I would agree that it gets harder. If you thought physics and calculus hurt, you're gonna be crying like a bitch in classes like EM fields and Signals/Systems

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

SeaBass posted:

It is called industrial exemption. A pretty good article about the history and pros/cons:

http://www.nspe.org/resources/pdfs/blog/industry_exemptions-neil_norman.pdf

What Im trying to say is that as an engineer or a tech in the field, once you leave school the only thing really separating you from anyone else is your head and whats in it (and for some, a license). The title doesnt really mean anything (although in that article the title itself creates exemptions) so getting all indignant just because someone wants to call themselves an engineer or listing your BSc ME after your name is a little pretentious and a distraction.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

lightpole posted:

What Im trying to say is that as an engineer or a tech in the field, once you leave school the only thing really separating you from anyone else is your head and whats in it (and for some, a license). The title doesnt really mean anything (although in that article the title itself creates exemptions) so getting all indignant just because someone wants to call themselves an engineer or listing your BSc ME after your name is a little pretentious and a distraction.

Pretentious, a distraction... and in some places flat out illegal. Hence why MSCEs are MSCPs in some countries (like Canada).

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

RedReverend posted:

Does it get a little easier at this point?

It gets easier when you stop trying to do everything on your own and start working in a study group with your classmates (if you aren't already doing this).

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Basically, when it comes down to it, listing your qualifications is never pretentious in a knowledge based field if you aren't an rear end that tries to use qualifications as a reason that your opinion is right.

Listing your qualifications gives people a better idea of what they're dealing with. I don't put my degree in my title because it's implied by the professional designation that I have, but if it wasn't implied I would explicitly state it.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Delta-Wye posted:

:stuff an ee wrote:

You're an EE, right? I've seen the job prospect outlook and current hiring volume for CS jobs, but at the same time, EE stuff is appealing. If I do program, what I WANT to do is microcode or the level right between the metal and the other programming layers - drivers, firmware, assembly, etc.

Would getting an EE degree with a ton of CS electives set me up well for that? Like, could that alone let me go code if EE jobs are still poo poo without having to beat my head on a wall when some idiot HR guy acts like a HR guy?

Programing C doesn't seem like a bad life. Being unemployed does.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

2banks1swap.avi posted:

You're an EE, right? I've seen the job prospect outlook and current hiring volume for CS jobs, but at the same time, EE stuff is appealing. If I do program, what I WANT to do is microcode or the level right between the metal and the other programming layers - drivers, firmware, assembly, etc.

Would getting an EE degree with a ton of CS electives set me up well for that? Like, could that alone let me go code if EE jobs are still poo poo without having to beat my head on a wall when some idiot HR guy acts like a HR guy?

Go for Computer Engineering, its kind of between CS and EE. Either way lots of software jobs will take EE grads with programming experience.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)

BeefofAges posted:

It gets easier when you stop trying to do everything on your own and start working in a study group with your classmates (if you aren't already doing this).

This, and go to the TA-led help sessions. If the TA isn't an rear end in a top hat they can be really helpful. Plus, people will end up working together there anyway.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Doing a master's in CPE at the moment. My experience has been I kind of have some CS knowledge, but can't compete with actual CS majors, and I have some EE knowledge, but can't compete with actual EEs. Personal experience though, and I'm hoping to still find my niche. While you do lose some depth by going for depth, there are some areas that CPEs excel in that you can really do well if you want (development in HDLs, ASIC designs, etc).

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Math minor is a feather in your cap at best BUT at a lot of colleges you only need two classes past D.E. to get one. If youre an EE then I hear Linear Algebra is useful (although be aware logic and proof may be a prerequisite) and often there's some sort of computer based applied mathematics that teaches matlab and mathcad which is also useful.

If its useful, you have the time, you find math interesting, you really want to sell yourself as a logical thinker, whatever it very well may be a good worth it.

RedReverend
Feb 15, 2003

I'll probably end up doing the math minor as it is just one extra class. I'm already scheduled to take Linear Algebra next semester.

If I can find the time, I would like to take some AutoCAD. I plan to go into power systems and have heard that having some AutoCAD experience is desirable.

At this point, I want to have as much going for me as I can when I graduate.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

RedReverend posted:

I'll probably end up doing the math minor as it is just one extra class. I'm already scheduled to take Linear Algebra next semester.

If I can find the time, I would like to take some AutoCAD. I plan to go into power systems and have heard that having some AutoCAD experience is desirable.

At this point, I want to have as much going for me as I can when I graduate.
I'm finishing up my junior year in EE in these next two weeks. The first two years weren't terribly difficult or time consuming, I was taking 26 credits and not doing a third of the work I am doing this year at only 19 (I shouldn't even be typing this, I have two tests this week, a presentation I have to finish researching and draft up, two class projects due, extracurricular projects to work on, etc. Oh god oh god :suicide:). From what I've been told employers already know you have a ton of mathematical experience just by having an engineering degree, so if you want to stick out from your non-math minor holding classmates take the extra class in something you find interesting or useful. I am going to take mine in numerical analysis methods and partial differential equations.

SB35 posted:

It might look good on your resume or something to have a math minor, but it's pretty negligible. Linear algebra is pretty useful for EEs, so I'd recommend that one if you haven't already done so.

Also, the course load (at least for me) did not get any easier or less until my senior year. In fact, junior year was the most intense. The work involved in classes like Electromagnetic Fields, Signals & Systems, etc. Was quite a bit. You'll probably become pretty good friends with your other EE buddies around this time because you'll be together from 8am to 10pm everyday. Work hard, but don't forget to take it easy and crack a beer or two while you're doing homework. A little beer never hurt anyone's homework!
This post is spot on from my experience. Junior year is full of major specific courses, but it's still mostly required course work. Senior year is all electives so you're hopefully getting involved in things that you have significant interest in. It's still a lot of work, but at that point it shouldn't seem like meaningless drudgery.

dxt posted:

Go for Computer Engineering, its kind of between CS and EE. Either way lots of software jobs will take EE grads with programming experience.
Seems any engineering degree can land you programming jobs. It's just what you end up programming that depends on the type of engineering.

Brendas Baby Daddy
Mar 11, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I'm a EE and this is basically my job. I took the Java class all EEs have to take and also took 1 microcontroller elective. That's it. I did tons of matlab in my systems and controls classes but that's quite a bit different. I can tell you that at my very large company, EE do everything from circuit design to switch/sensor/pump/controller testing to firmware to supply management to electro-magnetics. CprEs do firmware. CS do IT stuff and really cannot break into engineering. This is just one data point from my company.

My advice is do EE if you want to do EE, get good grades, and do internships. If you do these things, you'll probably get a job doing whatever EE-related stuff you want.

SeaBass
Dec 30, 2003

NERRRRRRDS!

SubCrid TC posted:

Basically, when it comes down to it, listing your qualifications is never pretentious in a knowledge based field if you aren't an rear end that tries to use qualifications as a reason that your opinion is right.

Listing your qualifications gives people a better idea of what they're dealing with. I don't put my degree in my title because it's implied by the professional designation that I have, but if it wasn't implied I would explicitly state it.

I deal a lot with sales, and my title is pretty generic, so I list my degree and qualifications so that the engineer I'm exchanging emails with knows that he/she is dealing with another engineer and not a stuffed shirt salesman.

quote:

AutoCAD would not required as an engineer unless you go to work for a very small firm. Learn what you can, but it doesn't need to be a priority; you'll pick it up as you go.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

SeaBass posted:

AutoCAD would not required as an engineer unless you go to work for a very small firm. Learn what you can, but it doesn't need to be a priority; you'll pick it up as you go.

Yeah, it's a nice bonus if you can do it because it makes it easier to talk to your draftspeople, but it's certainly not required.

If you're comfortable using it, though, it can be nice sometimes. If you've got something really really small that's incredibly urgent or at five on a friday or something it can be nice. It's great for when you're doing your own final check on a drawing and notice that somehow nobody saw that a 3 was mistyped as a 4 or something. If you're out of time and can't get a draftsperson right away it's nice to be able to fix it.

But really, it makes no economic sense to have an engineer do his own drafting except in odd circumstances. A proper draftsperson should be faster than you and gets paid less.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Brendas Baby Daddy posted:

My advice is do EE if you want to do EE, get good grades, and do internships. If you do these things, you'll probably get a job doing whatever EE-related stuff you want.

When I get to a University I have every intention of doing well, though right now my CC's grades aren't hot - B- average. First attempt at school years back was a dismal 2.0, but I've brought it up.

Don't businesses only care about your Major GPA anyway? Meh.

I've had things completely outside of my control screw me; I've seen people do everything right and not find work. I want to do some C on the way as a fall back, and since it's so close to the metal anyway it should be useful.

I just dunno how to get started with that. I can't do any EE stuff until next year when I transfer :(

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
To all you poor unemployed engineers, just keep at it! I finally got a job offer today (two actually, one pending a background check that I don't see being a problem). It took almost a year after graduation but it finally happened.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

When I get to a University I have every intention of doing well, though right now my CC's grades aren't hot - B- average. First attempt at school years back was a dismal 2.0, but I've brought it up.

Don't businesses only care about your Major GPA anyway? Meh.

I've had things completely outside of my control screw me; I've seen people do everything right and not find work. I want to do some C on the way as a fall back, and since it's so close to the metal anyway it should be useful.

I just dunno how to get started with that. I can't do any EE stuff until next year when I transfer :(

I'm an EE, and I just got an internship offer for a CS position with a big company. They chose me over the CS majors, and the only real CS courses I've taken are the intro to CS class (taught in C++ at my school) and Data Structures.

Just minor in CS and you'll have no problem getting a programming job if that's what you want. Employers know that EE's know how a computer works from the ground up, and we have programming skills. Not as extensive as a CS major, but that's why I said just get the minor and you'll be plenty competitive.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Aluminum Record posted:

I'm an EE, and I just got an internship offer for a CS position with a big company. They chose me over the CS majors, and the only real CS courses I've taken are the intro to CS class (taught in C++ at my school) and Data Structures.

Just minor in CS and you'll have no problem getting a programming job if that's what you want. Employers know that EE's know how a computer works from the ground up, and we have programming skills. Not as extensive as a CS major, but that's why I said just get the minor and you'll be plenty competitive.

Your avatar is most fitting to this post.

Ok riddle me this - how can I do some self-study to get a footing on C (or something useful, meh) right now on my own?