Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Bozz posted:

I was reading today that Dave Franco was starring in a new Fright Night movie. I thought, "hmm wonder if there's any relation?"

how much more Franco can there be and why do they get to look like Greek gods

"Hey Greg, why don't you go piss your pants again?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bozz posted:

how much more Franco can there be and why do they get to look like Greek gods

People think James Franco is hot? I guess if you like creepy-looking motherfuckers with godawful hairstyles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

People think James Franco is hot? I guess if you like creepy-looking motherfuckers with godawful hairstyles.

Gucci certainly thinks he's hot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rake Arms posted:

I don't know, but it was such a dull conclusion that I actually wished they had gone with the original draft where John Connor dies and they secretly graft his skin to Marcus so he can lead the resistance.

Jesus that would have made the movie so much better and interesting. Oh well.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

And very very :smug:

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Speaking as a straight man, I was under the impression that James Franco is considered classically "good looking." He looks exactly like James Dean.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Rake Arms posted:

Speaking as a straight man, I was under the impression that James Franco is considered classically "good looking." He looks exactly like James Dean.

If James Dean had been perpetually high.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

You can objectively evaluate most of the ideal geometric proportions of his face without catching the gay bug. Aside from that, I don't believe anyone saying they didn't know a lot women find him attractive.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

BrewingTea posted:

No, no, he always intended for his compositions to look like that, he just didn't have the technology at the time.

:argh:

Seriously, as an aspiring cinematographer, after hearing the poo poo Storaro did, I always promised myself I would never pull something like that.

I'm just glad Coppola stood up to him (finally) for the Apocalypse Now BD. I'm hoping others follow suit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cropping to 2:1 is a great idea on DVD... if you're putting resolution over composition. You're working with 480p and ever pixel counts.

1080p is an opportunity to reproduce the original image as close as possible.

I'm divided on the few films wider than 2.55:1 (mid-1950s CinemaScope), though. Films like Ben-Hur and How the West Was Won were shot to be perfectly fine at 2.55:1. In fact, Ben-Hur was framed to be safe for cropping as far as 2.20:1.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jack Bandit posted:

"Hey Greg, why don't you go piss your pants again?"

I love that part so much, since Rogan and Goldberg wrote it in high school about themselves, so that plus the "People don't forget!" probably referred to an actual guy they went to school with who pissed his pants 20+ years ago who is getting poo poo for it in a major Hollywood film.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Rake Arms posted:

I don't know, but it was such a dull conclusion that I actually wished they had gone with the original draft where John Connor dies and they secretly graft his skin to Marcus so he can lead the resistance. As it is, everything goes back to the status quo at the end of Salvation, which basically defeats the point of Terminator. In all the previous films, even the lovely third one, the world has changed in some significant way by the end.

Actually, in the original draft, Connor never showed his face to anyone in the resistance. He lived in a submarine and only communicated via radio, so no one (outside of his tight circle of friends) knew what he looked like. Marcus retreats to the submarine in the end and is followed by a bad guy, who opens fire in the sub and kills Connor. Not wanting to slow the momentum of the resistance, Marcus assumes Connor's identity.

And in those early drafts, Connor is a folksy, sweater-wearing intellectual-type, not the commando depicted in the movie. He knew his life meant something for the resistance, so he did everything he could to not see direct combat.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

VorpalBunny posted:

Actually, in the original draft, Connor never showed his face to anyone in the resistance. He lived in a submarine and only communicated via radio, so no one (outside of his tight circle of friends) knew what he looked like. Marcus retreats to the submarine in the end and is followed by a bad guy, who opens fire in the sub and kills Connor. Not wanting to slow the momentum of the resistance, Marcus assumes Connor's identity.

And in those early drafts, Connor is a folksy, sweater-wearing intellectual-type, not the commando depicted in the movie. He knew his life meant something for the resistance, so he did everything he could to not see direct combat.

And that was the role that Christian Bale was supposed to play. But Bale only agreed to join the film if they beefed up his role, which they did. Then the more interesting thematic ending was ditched because websites got a hold of what the ending was going to be and went crazy over it. Fox and McG poo poo themselves and quickly re-wrote it claiming the old ending was never going to be adhered to anyway.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I like you.

And I really need to see both Addams Family movies again, I worry sometimes if I love them so much purely from nostalgia. I also love Joan Cusack.

I actually just rewatched Values a couple of weeks ago, and it stood up way, way better to what I remembered than I expected. Plus I was reminded of the masterful lyrics of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im8lDFn0V3w

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Any more behind the scenes shots like this from Taxi Driver?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw this documentary on the Canadian movie channel about midnight movies, and their history. Interviewed Lynch, Waters, Romero and Jodorowsky. I thought it was called Midnight Madness, but I've been looking for it for ages, but can't find it.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

twistedmentat posted:

I saw this documentary on the Canadian movie channel about midnight movies, and their history. Interviewed Lynch, Waters, Romero and Jodorowsky. I thought it was called Midnight Madness, but I've been looking for it for ages, but can't find it.

Is this it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457414/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Binowru posted:

Is this it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457414/

That's it! Weird, that's what I was using as a term when searching for it. This movie made me both obsessed and terrified at the same time with Eraser Head. It's the only film they talk about I have not watched yet. Well, I watched most of Pink Flamingos. I don't think my life is any less richer missing Divine eating poop.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
As regards my earlier comments, I'll leave 1408 for the time being until I get time to re-watch.

Toy story I, II and III

I had to sit through them ALL yesterday :mad:.

Leaving aside the most obvious question "(TS1)Why would Buzz act like a toy when being handled by humans if he didn't believe he was a Toy? :confused:".

Are there any clues to -

What is the nature of the toys?,
Where does the rule that they are not to interact with humans come from?
Who enforces it?

I mean the end outtakes reel TS2 just raises more questions :psyduck:

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 15, 2011

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

spikenigma posted:

As regards my earlier comments, I'll leave 1408 for the time being until I get time to re-watch.

Toy story I, II and III

Leaving aside the most obvious question "(TS1)Why would Buzz act like a toy when being handled by humans if he didn't believe he was a Toy? :confused:".

Are there any clues to -

Who enforces it?

Nice try. I ain't buying it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think my life is any less richer missing Divine eating poop.

Female Trouble is way better anyway. If you only end up doing one early Waters film, that's where you should start. Also if you don't watch Eraserhead you're doing yourself a huge disservice!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

spikenigma posted:

Toy story I, II and III

Are there any clues to -

Who enforces it?

Wait until you try to figure out how the cars in Cars evolved.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

InfiniteZero posted:

Female Trouble is way better anyway. If you only end up doing one early Waters film, that's where you should start. Also if you don't watch Eraserhead you're doing yourself a huge disservice!

I've seen almost every Waters films, except Female Trouble. I'll have to check it out sometime. Is that the one with the lobster rape?

As i said, Eraserhead fascinates me and horrifies me at the same time. From some of the clips I've seen, he's used some images in later films. For example the shaterring moon is used again in Dune.

Is there any word on it coming out of bluray anytime soon?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

I'm with you.

Bozz posted:

You can objectively evaluate most of the ideal geometric proportions of his face without catching the gay bug. Aside from that, I don't believe anyone saying they didn't know a lot women find him attractive.

Japanese women find him repulsive. Since those are most of the women I know, believe me when I say my jaw dropped, (and I still cannot find it) when I heard people say he was attractive.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kapalama posted:

Japanese women find him repulsive. Since those are most of the women I know, believe me when I say my jaw dropped, (and I still cannot find it) when I heard people say he was attractive.

He'll always have Kimiko

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

feedmyleg posted:

He'll always have Kimiko

She told me she found him repulsive too, and she was only in it to get to Liz Lemon.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

qntm posted:

Or how you determine the gender of a Car.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

VorpalBunny posted:

Or how you determine the gender of a Car.

Guy cars are manual. Yank on the stick a bit to get their engine purring.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

qntm posted:

:pseudo: I always assumed humanity went through a third world war which wiped out everything except artificial intelligence technology who then gradually rebuilt the Earth.

The AI was based on the human mind, which is why you get male and female cars + 21st century culture.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

qntm posted:

I like the theory that the events in Maximum Overdrive happened, only the cars won.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

I like the theory that the events in Maximum Overdrive happened, only the cars won.

The cars never became homicidal. Is the book different from the movie in that regard?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Whenever someone complains about hairstyles that aren't like a mullet or a rattail or something I assume they're 50+ and very angry about young people.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Whenever someone complains about hairstyles that aren't like a mullet or a rattail or something I assume they're 50+ and very angry about young people.

Looks like there's a baboon's rear end on his head.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here is where I feign surprise at people finding a young and fit actor attractive because ??

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SexyGoofTroopGrl posted:

Here is where I feign surprise at people finding a young and fit actor attractive because ??

It's because the information age has lead to multimedia saturation of the first world. People are used to their standard of beauty on demand. loving 100 years ago, if you wanted to see a pretty person, you couldn't just send a telegram to google image search. I'm not gay for James Franco or anything, but there's no universe besides that one twilight zone one where he's ugly. Sure he might not be exactly what some people prefer, but that's a long shot from ugly.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I figured there was a case of tall poppy syndrome in here.

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.

Korak posted:

Any more behind the scenes shots like this from Taxi Driver?
That depends. You have $1,000 to spend?

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Is there a Park Chan-wook thread? If not someone should make one!

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

PlasticPaddy posted:

Is there a Park Chan-wook thread? If not someone should make one!

There's a thread for Korean movies, he comes up a lot in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Green Vulture posted:

That depends. You have $1,000 to spend?

Fortunately Taschen always ends up releasing cheaper versions of these for around $50-60. Can't wait to get the Kubrick Napoleon one.