Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dark Solux posted:

Does your 4G and GPS still work? If so I'll have to try this out. Phone has been acting weird lately (getting FCs where the screen goes black for a while and either shuts off, restarts, or relaunches TW) so hopefully this will be the change for the better.

I've got a cool bug that causes random hardlocks for no apparent reason. I've had it freeze while browsing on the SA app, had it freeze while just sitting idle (oh hey my phone isn't waking up when I hit the power button), with no apparent common cause. OC settings are unfuckedaround with, but I do have LPP and Widgetlocker. Who knows, maybe I just have a particularly defective Epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
Since I installed CM7 on my Evo, I've been having a new voicemail notification pop up randomly, even though I don't have any messages. Does anyone know how to fix this? I poked around on the CM forums and their "solution" is to switch to Google Voice...

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the app thread: Does anyone know how to get Trillian working on MIUI? It works in Sense, it works in CM7, but it just stays at the "Signing in" popup on MIUI.

e: Hurr I backed up the beta and not the Market version I bought. Nevermind!

I guess this is a reminder that the beta version of Trillian doesn't work on CM7 or MIUI. At least not for me.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 15, 2011

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Crossposting from the app thread: Does anyone know how to get Trillian working on MIUI? It works in Sense, it works in CM7, but it just stays at the "Signing in" popup on MIUI.

e: Hurr I backed up the beta and not the Market version I bought. Nevermind!

I guess this is a reminder that the beta version of Trillian doesn't work on CM7 or MIUI. At least not for me.
Same thing happened here, though only through flashing a new CM7 nightly, from another CM7 nightly. This is the beta that they said would allow to continue working as a thank you to their beta testers too. Most annoying :(

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

diegetic poster posted:

Since I installed CM7 on my Evo, I've been having a new voicemail notification pop up randomly, even though I don't have any messages. Does anyone know how to fix this? I poked around on the CM forums and their "solution" is to switch to Google Voice...

I can't help fix your problem since I've been using Google Voice for voicemail since before I switched to CM7. However I can tell you that Google's voicemail is better than Sprint's, is free to use, and works perfectly with the EVO on CM7. You should look into giving it a shot.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So I have my nook rooted, and I have to ask, is there a better dock launcher program to use with the nook than launcherpro? I like launcher pro but the dock is mostly unuseable.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Use ADW. If you put CM7 on your Nook (you should) it comes with ADW preinstalled.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So I tried out ADW, but the dock is only three icons long, so I need to fiddle with it some more. clearly. I also have two new questions that came to me: If I clear out mSD card so I can use it again, will that unroot my nook? Seems stupid but I'm unsure if the nook is running the root off of the mSD or not. The second question: If I flash CM7 will I have to wipe all my data? auto-nooter didn't wipe is why I ask.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

diegetic poster posted:

I had this happen and it was because I had a few voicemails from like 6 months ago that I never deleted. I restored a backup of the visual voicemail app to get rid of them.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Quantumfate posted:

So I tried out ADW, but the dock is only three icons long, so I need to fiddle with it some more. clearly. I also have two new questions that came to me: If I clear out mSD card so I can use it again, will that unroot my nook? Seems stupid but I'm unsure if the nook is running the root off of the mSD or not. The second question: If I flash CM7 will I have to wipe all my data? auto-nooter didn't wipe is why I ask.

Auto nooter runs off of internal memory, so no, wiping SD is fine.

CM7 does require a wipe.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Quantumfate posted:

So I tried out ADW, but the dock is only three icons long, so I need to fiddle with it some more.
Settings > ADWLauncher > UI Settings> Main Dock Style

You can expand to 5 icons.

quote:

If I flash CM7 will I have to wipe all my data? auto-nooter didn't wipe is why I ask.
Yes. Follow the instructions given.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Use ADW. If you put CM7 on your Nook (you should) it comes with ADW preinstalled.

The only problem I have with CM7 on my nook is that the nook doesn't properly go to sleep when the display is turned off, and battery keeps draining about 1-3% an hour with the display off.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

lowcrabdiet posted:

The only problem I have with CM7 on my nook is that the nook doesn't properly go to sleep when the display is turned off, and battery keeps draining about 1-3% an hour with the display off.

Oh, for some reason the CM7 builds for the Nook still have TelephonyProvider.apk and Phone.apk. If you remove these (I rename them to .apk.bak) then you should get more battery life. Remove TelephonyProvider first as your Nook will spaz when you remove Phone (until you reboot).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Quantumfate posted:

So I have my nook rooted, and I have to ask, is there a better dock launcher program to use with the nook than launcherpro? I like launcher pro but the dock is mostly unuseable.

Why is the dock unusable? I use Launcher Pro on my Nook.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Vertigus posted:

Why is the dock unusable? I use Launcher Pro on my Nook.

I assume he's referring to the bug where you can't add things to the dock without doing it on another phone and porting the saved config. Has this been fixed or something?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Oh, for some reason the CM7 builds for the Nook still have TelephonyProvider.apk and Phone.apk. If you remove these (I rename them to .apk.bak) then you should get more battery life. Remove TelephonyProvider first as your Nook will spaz when you remove Phone (until you reboot).

This has been disproven, I thought.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Casao posted:

This has been disproven, I thought.

Maybe, but if I don't remove them, it shows up in the battery screen as one of the larger bars, and they don't show up at all if I remove the files. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, either. Up until yesterday I had two Nooks at my disposal. There are a couple of guys here at the office with them, so maybe I can do some testing.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

The Entire Universe posted:

I've got a cool bug that causes random hardlocks for no apparent reason. I've had it freeze while browsing on the SA app, had it freeze while just sitting idle (oh hey my phone isn't waking up when I hit the power button), with no apparent common cause. OC settings are unfuckedaround with, but I do have LPP and Widgetlocker. Who knows, maybe I just have a particularly defective Epic.

Exact same that that mine did. Made it useless as an alarm clock because often times it would lock up in the middle of night.

This new ROM seems stable so far. Just wish I had backed everything up beforehand.
GPS and 4G work great.

Tranax
Sep 1, 2008
My friend got a Moto Citrus free with a VZW service plan. Phone sucks. Rooted it. Stock ROM still sucks. Does anyone have any experience with citrus roms (pref 2.2), and have any recommendations as to what I can do to make this piece of crap phone as optimal as I can?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rohaq posted:

Same thing happened here, though only through flashing a new CM7 nightly, from another CM7 nightly. This is the beta that they said would allow to continue working as a thank you to their beta testers too. Most annoying :(

Yeah but I felt that they're cool enough to earn the $5.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

I assume he's referring to the bug where you can't add things to the dock without doing it on another phone and porting the saved config. Has this been fixed or something?

It works flawlessly on my Nook right now so I would assume so. I changed a bunch of shortcuts yesterday.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Tranax posted:

My friend got a Moto Citrus free with a VZW service plan. Phone sucks. Rooted it. Stock ROM still sucks. Does anyone have any experience with citrus roms (pref 2.2), and have any recommendations as to what I can do to make this piece of crap phone as optimal as I can?

Is he past the return period? Low end moto's are the WORST, and that phone has some seriously poo poo specs. For $50, he could get a Samsung Continuum - as horrible as they are, they're still better than the citrus. And as long as you're leashed to a data plan for 2 years, you might as well have a usable device.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Citrus is probably the worst "smartphone" I've seen in a few years. Absolute garbage.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I see a lot of talk about the Nook - that's Barnes and Nobels tablet? Isn't that primarily an e-reader? Is it worth getting over say, a Xoom in terms of price/able to run custom roms and stuff on it?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Ashex posted:

Anyone with a Desire Z/G2 running CM7 having GPS issues should try this GPS fix. I wasn't even getting the GPS icon in the notification bar before but after doing this it's working.

I ran that fix and while it made it so I could actually get a lock on satellites (7/8 in my area) it wouldn't pull down a specific location lock. But hey, this is a step in the right direction! I'll flash a sense rom tomorrow and see if I can't run that code.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Gyshall posted:

I see a lot of talk about the Nook - that's Barnes and Nobels tablet? Isn't that primarily an e-reader? Is it worth getting over say, a Xoom in terms of price/able to run custom roms and stuff on it?

I have a nook color, it runs CyanogenMod 7 just fine. Its an android tablet once you root it.

The only 'issue' I've really had is my videos need to be encoded a certain way to play 100% correct on it, mostly because of CPU/GPU power on it, but other than that it works perfectly.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
The nook color is a fantastic tablet with cm7. I picked one up used and am very happy with it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
How about running games and poo poo? Is that worthwhile? I'm interested in running emulator games and so on.

Sorry to derail, I haven't been able to find reliable info on finding a hackable tablet.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Gyshall posted:

How about running games and poo poo? Is that worthwhile? I'm interested in running emulator games and so on.

Sorry to derail, I haven't been able to find reliable info on finding a hackable tablet.

Not sure if CM7 added bluetooth support for a controller, I hated using the touch screen controls on the emulators though. Games like Angry Birds play great though.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Gyshall posted:

it's pretty decent, but not awesome. You're getting a $250 tablet.

It's good right now, for the price, because nothing is really being developed for things that need a machine that runs faster (nook color is on par with a droid x). It's a large phone without the phone honestly, and things in the future that are made for tablets and dual core processors will be lovely on it.

Short term, you can't go wrong with a Nook Color. Long term, the Xoom or something else is a better bet.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

big mean giraffe posted:

The nook color is a fantastic tablet with cm7. I picked one up used and am very happy with it.

Just curious...how much did you pay for yours?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Telex posted:

it's pretty decent, but not awesome. You're getting a $250 tablet.

It's good right now, for the price, because nothing is really being developed for things that need a machine that runs faster (nook color is on par with a droid x). It's a large phone without the phone honestly, and things in the future that are made for tablets and dual core processors will be lovely on it.

Short term, you can't go wrong with a Nook Color. Long term, the Xoom or something else is a better bet.

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

travisray2004 posted:

Just curious...how much did you pay for yours?

$230 with an 8gb microsd and a hard case, and it was prerooted and poo poo so all I had to do was flash CWM recovery and then CM7.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Reposting my question here rather than the apps thread in hopes someone can provide assistance:

I just updated to Cyanogen 7 from an earlier RC. mostly working fine. However, some of my previously installed aps won't install. I get the little download icon on my notification bar that something is downloading but that dissapears after a few seconds and nothing installs. I get no notification that the download failed.

This does not happen with all previously installed software... just many of my most used ones. I tried manually deleting the cache and removing anything I could see relating to the aps saved on my SIM.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Telex posted:

Not sure exactly what I would need dual core stuff for on a tablet really. I'm not going to run an SQL instance :p

I use mine to check the ticketing system at work, read comics, gmail, browse facebook, watch youtube and Hulu and watch tv shows/movies. For that its perfect for the price. What else do you think a tablet is going to do? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I just honestly don't see what else you need processing power for in a tablet.

Granted, the bigger screen would be nice for .pdf files

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I still say the Viewsonic G-Tablet is a better option than the Nook if you're planing on rooting. Especially since the used market got flooded and you can find them for the same price or cheaper than the Nook.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

JayKay posted:

I still say the Viewsonic G-Tablet is a better option than the Nook if you're planing on rooting. Especially since the used market got flooded and you can find them for the same price or cheaper than the Nook.

The G-Tablet has a crap screen. A tablet is a device all about the screen. Save yourself the eyestrain and get a Nook Color if you want an Android tablet.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Yep, that means CM7 should get even more solid. They should be able to fix the GPS issues for good now with no need for the GPSCLRX fix.

If people really want Sense, Fresh is doing the usual thing with this release.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
For me it was a choice between an incomplete tablet that can't do some of the key things I need (Netflix) and also cost as much as a nice-ish laptop or buy a cheaper tablet to hold me over till the HC tablets aren't overpriced buggy turds (I'm aware this isn't everyone's experience, but I've read to many stories on the net to ignore them). The decision was made for me when the groupon deal allowed you to get the NC for half price, but even for 250 it's still a nice little piece.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

I use mine to check the ticketing system at work, read comics, gmail, browse facebook, watch youtube and Hulu and watch tv shows/movies. For that its perfect for the price.

If you're watching video in a format the GPU can't hardware accelerate, you'll want that processing power. My Nook can definitely be laggy with AVI files in rockplayer for instance. Not to say it isn't still awesome, but there is a valid reason occasionally to want some more CPU grunt.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I know some people were interested in Fascinates, so for those not checking XDA daily, there is now a port of CM6.2 with only a few things broken (MMS, most notably). Kaoscinate V5 is supposedly making progress on the Gingerbread front, though the public release is still the alpha wherein nothing works. Gingerbread is about to roll out for Galaxy S in Europe, so hopefully that will give them new things to work with.

Blackhole 4.4 is out, which works wonderfully though my main gripe is that it deletes the stock Clock app. Everything else on it works great, and I'm having better luck with it than SuperClean 2.9.2 (which is now retired), which wouldn't activate 3G in order to check emails, update FB, etc. SuperClean looks a little sleeker, but I feel like Blackhole runs nicer.