Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

^^^ That plague marine's looking cool

More pics of my recent progress:

Did the OSL on the lascannons, I was following a tutorial online and I think it looks boss

Also tried to make this Inquisitor's eyes glow, not sure if I like it yet

I used Hell Diver's avatar as a reference for these glasses, they look kickass in person

Fun fact: wikipedia says Citadel stopped using lead in '96. The marine's slotta tab says '90, and the commissar's says '95. lead powder yo

1:144 scale tanks from Japan that I picked up at the hobby store. There's some amazing detail at this scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
The Blue Pyramid: Paintin' poo poo and committing crimes. :frogc00l:

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

Edit \/ \/ \/ It was a gift from my brother. He didn't tell me anything about how it was cut, but he got 3 quarters of the quarter at work

The Blue Pyramid fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 16, 2011

Brodin
Mar 30, 2011
Why is that quarter cut in...quarters?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
It's truly a mindfuck.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SRM posted:

Crosspostin' all up in here:

:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:

I'm using Helldiver's technique to paint Catachans, and while it takes a lot longer I think these are some of my best minis yet. Here I've got one vet squad with 3 melta guns, power fist, and demo charge, and a squad of combat engineers - special weapons squad with demo charge and 2 flamers.

And the combat engineers:

Hope you like em!

I Love 'em!

But I don't like the eyes. Too much white, looks like bugeyes. Maybe outline them in your dark skin color? I don't know.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Fun fact: wikipedia says Citadel stopped using lead in '96. The marine's slotta tab says '90, and the commissar's says '95. lead powder yo

Gonna sperg out a bit here, but the date on the slotta tab is when the model was first put into production, not when it was cast. Chances are there is no lead. Still plenty of lead miniatures on the market though. I picked one up the other day.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Jonny Nox posted:

I Love 'em!

But I don't like the eyes. Too much white, looks like bugeyes. Maybe outline them in your dark skin color? I don't know.

Some guys on Dakka said I should try using a slightly darker color; I'm thinking of going Dheneb stone next time.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, a slightly off white. And don't hesitate to hit them with a spot of gloss varnish to make them look wet. The shine will make them stand out in a better way than the pure white does.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

The Blue Pyramid posted:

1:144 scale tanks from Japan that I picked up at the hobby store. There's some amazing detail at this scale

Now I want to play ambush alley at like 1/3 scale. Do they make extremely tiny mans to ride in that extremely tiny Bradley?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Put together some Paladins and finished most of the Librarian tonight:

Psycannon and Daemonhammer dudes:

Standard bearer, halberdier and sole swordsman of the bunch:

Apothecary and Librarian, just waiting on Fix's bit to come in.

I was going to leave the Libby bare-headed and using that pile o'skulls to differentiate him from the Paladins a bit more (which is pretty funny considering how similar they are statwise), and had planned to make him light-skinned until a friend suggested giving him dark skin to stand out against the shiny metal armor. Any suggestions for painting dark skin?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I usually do Scorched Brown, light Babdab wash, Scorched Brown/Tallarn Flesh highlights, Tallarn Flesh extreme highlights. I think that's how I did my dude that's standing on the Space Wolf helmet.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Plotterboy posted:

Gonna sperg out a bit here, but the date on the slotta tab is when the model was first put into production, not when it was cast. Chances are there is no lead. Still plenty of lead miniatures on the market though. I picked one up the other day.

The lead alloy is a bit darker than whatever metal they use nowadays and also noticeably heavier. Just compare them to similar size models and you'll know.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
maxmini.eu is fast as hell.

I ordered the pirate ork heads from them (Poland) on the 11th, and they were at my house on the 15th (Canada).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I usually do Scorched Brown, light Babdab wash, Scorched Brown/Tallarn Flesh highlights, Tallarn Flesh extreme highlights. I think that's how I did my dude that's standing on the Space Wolf helmet.

Sounds good, though unfortunately you don't have a picture of that model in your post history for this thread! :ohdear: Would you mind reposting it?

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

I was bored during my flurry of snow days back in February, so I did what anyone else would do...convert a Blood Bowl army out of spare AoBR boyz!

I finally got them painted up and based. Introducing the The New Mork Uge Gits.

Team Shot

Blitzers

Black Orc Blockers

Linemen

Thrower

I shoot for tabletop quality since I am new, but I am trying picking up tips from lurking this thread. So far the best for me has been using saliva to keep the brush tips pointed. Although, this practice made me taste Mechrite Red...

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey duders. Checking in to say that hanging out with the Australian Army owns, and I'm glad to see people getting some use out of my techniques.

Those Catachan are looking rad, SRM. :thumbsup:

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

chelsea clinton posted:

The lead alloy is a bit darker than whatever metal they use nowadays and also noticeably heavier. Just compare them to similar size models and you'll know.

A number of my epic and bfg models are a slightly darker, rougher metal than the more recent stuff, with brown stains all over them; are these made with the lead alloy?

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Blue Pyramid posted:

A number of my epic and bfg models are a slightly darker, rougher metal than the more recent stuff, with brown stains all over them; are these made with the lead alloy?

I don't know about stains but if they're darker then they have a good probability of containing lead. Don't lick your fingers after handling them. The lead alloy is also softer so it holds edges and details a little worse and is of course easier to bend.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
They stopped using lead way before BFG iirc

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

What was the turning point? Did they stop using lead after it drove a ship full of Warhams insane, leading one to drag his painting desk across the arctic to his snowy tomb?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Ironically, yes.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

They stopped using lead way before BFG iirc

BFG started in 99 so if the cut-off is 95/96, yeah. There is always Space Fleet, which started in 91. http://www.solegends.com/citsfleet/index.htm

They were pretty different, though, and should be easy to tell apart from BFG stuff.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Dumb joke, nm

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 16, 2011

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.
Just finished the first unit of my Lizardman battalion today:

I spent some money on a resin movement tray and bases to match and I'm pretty drat happy with how it turned it :neckbeard:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

ApocalypseMeow posted:

I spent some money on a resin movement tray and bases to match and I'm pretty drat happy with how it turned it :neckbeard:

Wow, very cool.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Those are awesome, AM!

Also, thanks for the help on the water elemental tips, guys. I primed it white, washed it green then blue before the green was completely dry, giving it a nice swirly effect. I'm gonna shine coat it and I'll snap a picture before I return it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What was the turning point? Did they stop using lead after it drove a ship full of Warhams insane, leading one to drag his painting desk across the arctic to his snowy tomb?

I think there was actually a law passed that made it illegal to sell lead miniatures anymore. It was in the middle of 2nd edition 40k though because I still remember the huge NEW WHITE METAL push. It was before necrons though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ApocalypseMeow posted:

Those are some wonderfully vivid colors.

Hey, Hell Diver, what colors would you recommend for your Catachan skin process if I wanted to try using it on Orks?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Washout posted:

I think there was actually a law passed that made it illegal to sell lead miniatures anymore. It was in the middle of 2nd edition 40k though because I still remember the huge NEW WHITE METAL push. It was before necrons though.

It was an EU law that meant they had to switch from lead or not be allowed to sell products to under 16's.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

bhsman posted:

Sounds good, though unfortunately you don't have a picture of that model in your post history for this thread! :ohdear: Would you mind reposting it?

clicky for stupid big

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ApocalypseMeow posted:

This post = good post.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MasterSlowPoke posted:

clicky for stupid big

Thanks!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

MSP post your lone ork vs. tank pic from the old oath thread, tia.

forgot about this for like a month, here you go:

photos are still poo poo as always, maybe I'll make WOM reshoot it

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yesssssssss! Thanks man.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I've gotta say, I really love these Dystopian Wars models. Everything is on backorder, can't get half the models they've released, and all the stuff they have previewed on the website looks incredible.

Here's shots of my FSA Navy, including the new release Medium Flyers.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Hey, Hell Diver, what colors would you recommend for your Catachan skin process if I wanted to try using it on Orks?

Hmm, I haven't painted an ork in years, but I believe I went with a Dark Angels Green base, Snot Green mid-tone and Goblin Green highlight. On occasion you could slap an extreme Scorpion green highlight in there as well.

I don't even know if all of those colors are still in production.

I actually prefer the more chalky skin colors that have been more popular recently. Using Catachan Green, Camo and one of the Foundation Colors that escapes me, though I've never tried it myself.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Those blimps are soooo dope.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
I'd like dystopian wars a lot more if the rulebook wasn't basically goon.book, but some of the ships look like they'd paint up well.

Also I'm gonna pretend the carrier has conveyor belt runways.

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Fix posted:

Those blimps are soooo dope.

These words are the truth.

Makes me want to play this game!

• Locked thread