Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexy tram
Nov 5, 2010
I'm thinking about buying the GTA classics bundle on Steam because it's on sale. How well do they control using just a keyboard and mouse? I've never played any of them without using a controller and I'm not interested in getting one for my computer just for GTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Peenweed posted:

I'm thinking about buying the GTA classics bundle on Steam because it's on sale. How well do they control using just a keyboard and mouse? I've never played any of them without using a controller and I'm not interested in getting one for my computer just for GTA.

I've NEVER played a GTA game with a controller and I love them just fine.

sexy tram
Nov 5, 2010

mutata posted:

I've NEVER played a GTA game with a controller and I love them just fine.

Good enough for me! Thanks so much.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

lordfrikk posted:

I've been looking into replaying GTA3, VC and SA and was considering getting some mods but all I found was funky and terrible lovely makeshift mods that I don't want. I was wondering if there are any "essential" mods for any of those three games?

Thing to do in San Andreas when you are dead or something like that is the only half competent mod I've ever played for those games, but I never really thought of it as needed so I got rid of it.

I still love the games and I am crazy enough that I 110%'d every major 3d GTA so far and for VC and SA I did it multiple times if we exclude package-like collectables.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Steam is selling all the classic GTA games up to San Andreas for about $7.49 today. :signings:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Peenweed posted:

Flying a helicopter is loving impossible without a controller but everything else is fine.

Evil Eagle posted:

GTA I, II, III, VC and SA are on sale today for a grand total of $7.49 on Steam.
:dance: hell yes.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
I never had any problem flying helicopters with the keyboard in the GTA3 series. GTA4 is where it becomes problematic.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Peenweed posted:

Good enough for me! Thanks so much.

I actually vastly prefer SA with KB&M - you can freeaim with all of the guns instead of locking on, making headshots and tyre shots easier.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I cannot drive cars with KBM. It is terrible. :( But the better graphics, customization and shooting controls make the pc GTA's amazing. But you're in a car half the time in GTA games so bad car controls kill it for me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Himuro posted:

But you're in a car half the time in GTA games so bad car controls kill it for me.

The car controls are great. KB/M is vastly superior in every GTA, especially san andreas and gta4 where the camera is so much better. I don't know how anyone can tolerate playing the console versions where you can't see where you're going, not to mention how ridiculous trying to drive at 15 FPS is.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I like driving at top speed, barely hitting any cars on the way and making amazing break stops.

If you can help me achieve this on the pc versions I would thank you.

Either way, I'm buying.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I use a gamepad for missions where I do not have to shoot at all from my vehicle, sometimes I use a gamepad all the time; sometimes purely m+kb.

Embrace the options. :)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Annnnnd...bought.

I'm pretty loving excited. Outside of casual play I've never really touched the pc versions.

Shame these aren't available on mac as well. :( I mean, I use both os' but I tend to prefer my mac.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 16, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Himuro posted:

Annnnnd...bought.

I'm pretty loving excited. Outside of casual play I've never really touched the pc versions.

Shame these aren't available on mac as well. :( I mean, I use both os' but I tend to prefer my mac.

Enjoy them! The best thing about the PC versions is putting the entire Hall & Oates* discography in the user radio station folder :)

*Or whatever pure cheese works for you. Most people do themselves a sad disservice by putting in their regular playlists. I have a feeling these same people argued with me about GTA 4's driving :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
For those of you buying the classics pack, don't forget about MTA:SA. Its a multiplayer mod for San Andreas and its still quite populated.

http://www.mtasa.com/

You can race, freeroam, and do whatever.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

*Or whatever pure cheese works for you. Most people do themselves a sad disservice by putting in their regular playlists. I have a feeling these same people argued with me about GTA 4's driving :v:
Millionaires is the best band for inciting pure GTA-style rage.

Millionaires is the best band for inciting pure GTA-style rage.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
That song is absolutely horrible.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Good lord

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
GTA2 won't recognize my gamepad. Weird.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Himuro posted:

I've been watching Ugly Betty and the setting of the show is NYC and you wouldn't believe this by watching the show.
I've never seen the show but I'd think it'd be real easy to make it look like new york since every outside shot seems to be on a green screen set anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqNfT4p4wYQ

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, once you get used to the controls, driving's not too bad in GTAIII.

GTAIII is my favorite GTA so this is like a whole new experience for me playing it on pc.

Can you guys post the best mods for GTA3 trilogy pc? I'd love to enhance the graphics on both GTA3 and VC. I know SA has patches that make it look almost like a current generation game.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Okay, mod questions:

1.) is there any way to play Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories on PC? Like mods that incorporate the data or whatever? I know that's a really dumbassed question but I've seen more farfetched things happen.

2.) I'm thinking of getting the GTA IV set for PC. Are there any major graphical mods, like color adjustment or anything?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

I've been watching Ugly Betty and the setting of the show is NYC and you wouldn't believe this by watching the show.

They green screened the poo poo out of everything towards the end.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma

LvK posted:

Okay, mod questions:

1.) is there any way to play Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories on PC? Like mods that incorporate the data or whatever? I know that's a really dumbassed question but I've seen more farfetched things happen.

You could emulate the PS2 versions with PCSX2.

RedHasSandles
Mar 24, 2008

Woah dudes!
You need a beefy computer to run it at full speed though, I can only get Liberty City Stories to run at 50% speed on average on my computer.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I heard that after the "Hot Coffee mod" San Andreas got rated AO so they had to make it so no mods at all would work before they could get it back to being rated M... anyone care to verify? And will I still be able to install mods if I've downloaded it on Steam?

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
This is my favorite Millionaires song.

sexy tram
Nov 5, 2010

Cage posted:

For those of you buying the classics pack, don't forget about MTA:SA. Its a multiplayer mod for San Andreas and its still quite populated.

http://www.mtasa.com/

You can race, freeroam, and do whatever.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work with the Steam version. When booting up the game, it takes you here.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma
To play MTA (and probably other mods) with the Steam version of San Andreas, download this executable and put it in steamapps/common/grand theft auto san andreas (or whatever the SA folder is called). You shouldn't need to rename or overwrite anything; the regular Steam executable is called "gta-sa.exe" whereas this one (originally a no-DVD crack for the retail version) is called "gta_sa.exe."

nerdly_dood posted:

I heard that after the "Hot Coffee mod" San Andreas got rated AO so they had to make it so no mods at all would work before they could get it back to being rated M... anyone care to verify? And will I still be able to install mods if I've downloaded it on Steam?

The above-linked executable allows any version of the game to be modded.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So I install GTASA and I can't get it to 1366 x 768 (my resolution) it only goes up to 1024 even with widescreen option enabled.

What the gently caress.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you sure you enabled widescreen? You have to select it and press enter or something. I know it works because I played it at 1680x1050.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

Are you sure you enabled widescreen? You have to select it and press enter or something. I know it works because I played it at 1680x1050.

Yep. Enabled wide screen and can only get up to 1024x768 32 bit ugh. GTA1-3 and VC didn't have this problem.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 17, 2011

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Evil Eagle posted:

GTA I, II, III, VC and SA are on sale today for a grand total of $7.49 on Steam.

Unless you're in Australia, then you can only buy GTAIII and SA, for $2.49 and $3.74 respectively. I really don't understand why you can't get VC here, I'd love the collection on my PC.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
You know who would be an awesome protagonist? James Earl Cash. They still haven't set a GTA game in Carcer City, and it'd be cool to know what happens to him after the ending of Manhunt. I'm still kinda bummed about how awful Manhunt 2 turned out to be.

Lee Van Queef
Aug 27, 2007

by Ozma

ShoeFly posted:

Unless you're in Australia, then you can only buy GTAIII and SA, for $2.49 and $3.74 respectively. I really don't understand why you can't get VC here, I'd love the collection on my PC.

If I had to guess I'd say it was related to licensing for the soundtrack. International copyright is some freaky poo poo.

[sico]
Aug 27, 2004
I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT. MY MOTHER GETTING SLAMMED BY FOUR ABORIGINALS THAT IS
As usual us Aussies get shafted again in regards to games. Man i would kill to play vice city again.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I've tried everything and still nothing.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1572501

Sigh. Guess I'll play in 1024x768.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
For anyone interested in using a controller in GTA III or Vice City (Xbox 360 specifically), here is a write up on what to use and how to set it up

It is not perfect and takes 10-15 minutes to set up but I have found it to be worth it considering I (and my wife) prefer to use my laptop undocked in our living room leaving me without a mouse.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Lee Van Queef posted:

To play MTA (and probably other mods) with the Steam version of San Andreas, download this executable and put it in steamapps/common/grand theft auto san andreas (or whatever the SA folder is called). You shouldn't need to rename or overwrite anything; the regular Steam executable is called "gta-sa.exe" whereas this one (originally a no-DVD crack for the retail version) is called "gta_sa.exe."

The above-linked executable allows any version of the game to be modded.

awesome, thanks!

Curious that the one linked above is 14mb but the one from Steam is 5mb...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I went back to GTA4 today to try and finish TLAD (so I could start into Gay Tony), and I was reminded of why I never really liked GTA4 in the first place: It's just so sluggish. Every movement I would make felt like it was delayed. Euphoria is amazing when it comes to all the NPCs, but it was just so much easier to control your character in the PS2 games.

For example, I was behind cover in a gunfight when I decided to lob a pipe bomb at the enemy. For some reason (probably because I didn't aim first), I just dropped the pipebomb next to me on the ground. They have a fuse of five seconds which should have been plenty of time to run away. Instead, I pressed RB to unstick from cover, watched my guy do his "back away from cover" animation, then started into the slow-rear end walking animation before I could start running. By the time all that was done, the bomb had already killed me.

There are some good thing about GTA4 though. Running from the cops is as fun as ever, and I don't mind the boat-like physics. The damage effects on the cars is really great, and the euphoria engine makes the pedestrians behave better than any other game. This game still impresses me technically when compared to recent games.

I think Red Dead Redemption is the best game on this generation of consoles though, and I'm not even keen on the western setting. All the issues I had with the mechanics of GTA4 were fixed in RDR, so it gives me a lot of hope for GTAV. My preferred setting would be Vice City in the 80s again, but they've already done two 80s Vice City games, so I won't get my hopes up. Speaking of which, I need to play Vice City Stories some time.

• Locked thread